Monday, December 7, 2015

KU football finds D-Line help

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

Long a position the Kansas University football coaches, double- and triple-check their wish lists for, KU's defensive line got a boost on Monday, when juco defensive tackle Isi Holani orally committed to the Jayhawks.

Holani, a 6-foot-2, 315-pound, three-star prospect from Riverside College in California, made an official visit to Kansas last weekend and ended his recruitment Monday afternoon.

“Coach (Clint) Bowen and the rest of the staff are awesome people and great coaches,” Holani told Jon Kirby of JayhawkSlant.com. “I'd just like to thank him for finding me and giving me the opportunity. He did a perfect job recruiting me because he made sure all of my questions about KU were answered.”

Holani, who hails from Hilo High in Hawaii, at the very least figures to add depth to KU's defensive line. The Jayhawks will lose Kapil Fletcher, Ben Goodman, T.J. Semke to graduation and likely will lose Miami (Fla.) transfer Corey King, as well.

Freshmen Daniel Wise and D.J. Williams showed flashes of play-making ability on KU's D-Line, but given the coaching staff's emphasis on competition, every day in every way, adding a mature player with good size like Holani, only can help.

“They were excited,” Holani told Kirby of the reaction of KU coach David Beaty and his staff. “I am as fired up as they were. I want to go in there and play like they think I can and they said to expect big things.”

Holani is expected to sign later this month during the junior college early signing period. He told Kirby he had not decided if he would take a final visit to Hawaii, which recently offered.

He said he had offers from Kansas State, Hawaii, Oklahoma State, Colorado State, Boise State, Nevada, and Fresno State.

He becomes the 13th commitment in KU's 2016 recruiting class.

Comments

Suzi Marshall 4 years ago

We can use about 10 or more signee's just like this one. Sure would be nice to get some big hs lineman signup.

Andy Tweedy 4 years ago

I'm all in on the big fellas, but the last thing I want is more JUCO guys...been there, done that! I'm not saying that's what you're asking for, just still having Charlie Weiss flashbacks!

Greg Ledom 4 years ago

AT, I don't disagree with how Weis went about it, and how miserably it failed, but I think Beaty goes about it totally different. He looks for JUCO kids that will graduate early (and thus be here for Spring ball) and from what I can see, also have three years eligibility left, although not always the case. Just saying that I feel much more comfortable with Coaches approach than the sandbagger known as Weis. All that said, I like a higher ratio of HS to JUCO for sure overall.

Jack Joiner 4 years ago

Does he have 2 or 3 years left and when will he report? It's nice to know we beat out some other Big 12 schools.

Michael Lorraine 4 years ago

Nice. I like it when kids are excited to come here.

David Williams 4 years ago

What is happening with Corey King? Why will KUFB "likely lose" him?

Jay Hawkinson 4 years ago

He was listed as a senior this year. Maybe they're applying to get him a retroactive medical redshirt for one of his years at Miami?

Dirk Medema 3 years, 12 months ago

King spent 4 seasons at Miami (2011 - 2014), and was eligible right away as a graduate transfer. He redshirted in 2011 and missed all of 2014 because of injuries, but appeared in three games in 2013. Not sure about 2012. (Info from KCStar article)

Maria Ungaro 4 years ago

Welcome aboard Holani.... I am glad you picked Kansas, You are now part of the Jayhawk Nation.

I agree with Andy. This program needs some three - star High school players to come in and compete for starting positions. This will build the needed depth at all positions.

I don't think the quick patch work will more Juco than High school players is the answer.

I am huge fan of Coach Beaty and his staff, but he has to use his High School connections and bring in the 3 star recruits from Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Missouri.

Kansas has some of the best facilities and education that any school in the Big 12 has to offer. We have a great recruiting edge in the sense of playing time and building a winning program. Players take pride in knowing they can help put KU back into a bowl game and maybe some day compete for the Big 12 title.

Greg Ledom 4 years ago

For all to consider and in reply to the comment about best facilities. Stadium wise, we have to be near the bottom if not at it. We absolutely must get it updated and soon and before wins start rolling in. The big donors are probably gun shy but hopefully they can see what Coach is doing and that we'll get this turned around. I'm already tired of hearing K-State announce yet another phase upgrade to their stadium out in the middle of nowhere. The Anderson football complex is very nice and is probably mid to upper tier contention in the Big 12 so no qualms there. Kansas has the best (although I have not been to WV so exclude them for now), setting in the Big 12 period. Certainly the Field House and what they are doing there is so very nice with the rules, housing and all. Of course we've had upgrades to a lot of the other programs as well. It would certainly help if we could address our stadium though, and know doubt, it would help recruiting even more. Rock Chalk!!

Jerry Walker 3 years, 12 months ago

Certainly our old stadium is pretty shabby but our training/practice facilities are more than very nice -- they're state of the art.

A stadium renovation would enhance the fan's experience and hopefully boost attendance. But 40-50k fans -- even if played in a cow pasture -- would sure help the player's performance. It's kind of a chicken or egg scenario.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 4 years ago

Welcome! Glad you chose to be a Jayhawk!

Jim Stauffer 4 years ago

Looks to be a real find. Position of great need and a guy who fits the description perfectly and is rated highly.

Jack Hoff 4 years ago

Beaty seems to be getting after it on the recruiting trails! Great to see! Wouldn't might seeing him toss a schollie at a decent kicker/punter. However, outstanding start to the offseason! Rock Chalk!

Brett McCabe 4 years ago

Jack, this is a great position of need but, based on the limited number of schollies we have to offer this year, I'm guessing that they won't burn one on a kicker/punter. If they don't, then getting a walk-on at each position is of paramount importance.

Once we are back to a full 25 scholarships, I'd like to see them use one per year on a specialist. Turn a weakness into a strength.

Michael Maris 4 years ago

JayhawkSlant @JayhawkSlant

Hearing Jayhawks have offered Ian Rudzik from Ulysses. Kid did well at camp. Runs well for 6-2, 220 prospect. Reminds of Ben Heeney #kufball

Brett McCabe 4 years ago

Speed was never more important in college football. Let's hope that they can seal the deal.

Doug Cramer 3 years, 12 months ago

We need more studs on the D-line. If we could land some 4 star talent on both sides of the line...our program will progress much faster now that we got a QB.