Saturday, December 5, 2015

Banged-up Perry Ellis keeping head up

Kansas forward Perry Ellis (34) looks to strip away a ball from Harvard forward Weisner Perez (23) during the second half, Saturday, Dec. 5, 2015 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University senior forward Perry Ellis elected to not challenge Harvard’s Agunwa Okolie on a one-handed dunk early in Saturday’s 75-69 win over the Crimson in Allen Fieldhouse.

The lack of resistance on the slam bothered KU coach Bill Self.

“I’m leaving out of here thinking we can play tougher. Who lets somebody come down the middle of the floor, take off from half court and dunk it on our head ... and get out of the way? I mean nobody does that,” said Self, who never singled out Ellis by name, just discussed the play in generalities.

“That’s competitive. That set the tone and gave them confidence. I just hate that we can’t be more competitive than that in certain situations.”

Self continued: “We’ve got basically six big guys we can put out there, so why in the world would one of ’em let a guy take off from half court and dunk on our head to start the game? I mean that is just unbelievable to me. I mean, unbelievable. One foul when we’ve got 30 to give and we can’t foul once? That’s the kind of mindset I think we have to correct. If we correct that we’ll obviously become more aggressive. We’ll rebound the ball better because we’ll have a more aggressive mindset.”

Ellis, who scored the first five points of the game and five straight to bust a 56-56 tie, accepted blame.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self on KU's trouble in putting away Harvard

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self speaks with the media about the Jayhawks' 75-69 victory over Harvard, a game which included the Crimson tying the game late in the second half and KU getting out-rebounded 39-31.

Download podcast

“That’s definitely my fault. I should have definitely stopped that, stopped that play,” Ellis said of the runaway dunk. “It’s something moving forward I won’t let that happen again.”

Ellis — he made the all-Maui Invitational tournament team in Hawaii — had 15 points off 5-of-9 shooting against Loyola on Tuesday and 12 points off 5-of-11 shooting on Saturday vs. Harvard. He’s missed several inside shots of late.

“I’m just glad we got the win,” Ellis said Saturday. “Missing bunnies and stuff ... it’s something I’m going to get out of, try not to think about it too much. You’ve just to got keep playing and grinding through.

“It’s something I can’t ... I don’t want to worry about. I’m going to get through it. I definitely am. I’ve just got to keep fighting and working hard in practice and it’ll be good.”

He hurt his hip in a Maui semifinal win over UCLA.

“I got my hip hurt a little bit. (It’s) kind of slowed me down a little bit like endurance wise, but overall that’s not an excuse or anything. I’m going to put it on myself to keep competing and I’ll be good,” Ellis added. “I’m going to keep my head up, keep working hard and things will be good.”

— See what people were saying about the game during KUsports.com’s live coverage

More news and notes from Kansas vs. Harvard

By the Numbers: Kansas 75, Harvard 69

By the Numbers: Kansas 75, Harvard 69

Comments

John Strayer 3 years, 11 months ago

On the surrendered dunk play...why would a Senior let that happen in the first place? Being hurt is one thing...but why would your competitive spirit allow that to happen...on your home court nonetheless...and actually move out of the way.

Brett McCabe 3 years, 11 months ago

Nice job by Self throwing his player under the bus. Your team almost choked itself to a home loss to a 2-6 Ivy League team. You know what they say about pointing fingers....

Kent Richardson 3 years, 11 months ago

Game could have easily been a loss. Hitting back to back threes was awesome but also should not be expected.

Perry scoring 5 points early and 5 points late was certainly helpful and clutch. Where was his game the rest of the time? This is the second consecutive game he has said he is missing bunnies. Last time was a lack of focus and this time basically says I haven't worried to much about it. Maybe his hip is worse than we know. He has been open with the media so give him props for that.

Selden was Seldom a lot of the game.

Svi has shown he can score off the dribble but his supposedly downtown game is not there. Svi had/has an opportunity to gain playing time points with Brannen out but has he seized it? Not really.

Bill was right about Diallo being way behind and it certainly showed.

Along with Jamari, Cheick is our energy boosting team. Didn't work out today.

I hope to hell we aren't going to be the play down to our competition repeat from the last two years.

Hunter is still in the doghouse or kennel. Maybe he sucks in practice or I am missing something, which is certainly possible.

Way to go Frank. Thank you!

Hope this was just one of those games that looked worse than it really was. It's a win and we are 6-1. Which is a good record considering we have played MSU, UCLA and Vandy. If we improve it would project out to about a 27 and 6 team at this pace. Not bad considering our bigs are not performing.

Hello to teams fouling as a defensive strategy. We will see this until we show otherwise.

Rodney Crain 3 years, 11 months ago

I am not sure we can expect Perry to play differently. He had a stretch before he got injured last year where he played lights out. I was hoping that was the new normal. This season I have seen him repeatedly leave the lane to cover a wing instead of stopping the ball coming right at the basket on the dribble. Today, no exception.

He still is a nice 12-15 points a game. He will miss 2-3 bunnies, have 2-3 of his shots blocked, hit an occasional 3, make a shot or two from 15 feet, get a few rebounds. Not All American numbers, but nice stats. The things that do not show up are being out rebounded, or soft defense or lack of leadership when the team is up against it. That's ok, a Leopard can't change its spots. Take what you can get is you can do.

Ashwin Rao 3 years, 11 months ago

All through his career at KU, Perry has been a softie, so that should not be a surprise. Hope that the coach does not force Perry to change his game and mess up his scoring abilities as well.

I am not a BBall coach, but I have led successful teams, and I believe that if you don't change your team's approach to maximize on their capabilities, then you are not a good leader. I hope Coach Self is a good leader.

Robert Brock 3 years, 11 months ago

Will Perry be physically punished when the Jayhawks host mighty Holy Cross?

Stay tuned !!!