Tuesday, December 1, 2015

KU football picks up speedy WR from Huntsville, Texas

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

Three days after the official end of the 2015 football season, Kansas University coach David Beaty got a good jumpstart on 2016 when he picked up an oral commitment from Huntsville, Texas, wide receiver Jay Griffin.

Griffin, an explosive three-star athlete who last summer committed to Utah, announced the commitment on Twitter on Tuesday afternoon.

Griffin picked the Jayhawks because playing at Kansas offers a better chance to compete closer to home.

He joins an already deep receiving corps but told Jon Kirby of JayhawkSlant.com that catching passes might not necessarily be where his future lies.

“I can play anywhere and will play wherever they need me,” Griffin told Kirby. “I just want to help them win a championship.”

Cornerbacks coach Kenny Perry and receivers coach Klint Kubiak were the lead recruiters for the 5-foot-11, 160-pound Griffin and their recruitment made a great impact.

“I had a good relationship with all of their coaches and I like their school,” Griffin told Kirby. “They have a lot to offer. I talked to coach Perry the most. He just told me he will help me get to where I wanted to be.”

Before picking Utah, Griffin, known primarily for his top-end speed, held offers from KU, Central Florida, New Mexico State and Sam Houston State.

Griffin becomes the 11th player in the Class of 2016 to commit to Kansas but the Jayhawks, who can sign up to 25 players in this class, likely only have a handful of scholarships remaining to pass out because of the presence of several transfers who joined the team prior to the 2015 season.

Griffin plans to make his official visit to KU in January.

Comments

Brett McCabe 4 years ago

Great news on the recruiting front. Matt, is there anyway to get a round-up article: transfers on roster, walk-ons that might be offered, etc.?

Is it also possible that we might gain scholarships from departures?

Thanks.

Matt Tait 4 years ago

Yeah. I'm working on all of that... Coaches are out recruiting, but I'll hopefully have some of it figured out and finalized this week.

Titus Canby 4 years ago

I think 25 is the maximum number of scholarships per year. Even with that, I believe we'll still be way short of the 85 maximum scholarship players. This year we only had 65, and I think in 2016 we max out at about 75. I'm not sure if that's right though. Does anyone know for sure?

Dirk Medema 4 years ago

25 is the maximum number of scholarships per year, so if we graduate 15 Sr's and sign 25 new players, the net change is +10. That would take the roster from 65 to 75.

Obviously, those aren't the exact #'s, but hopefully the concept is evident without writing an equation.

Samer Adra 4 years ago

He wants to help us win championships. At this point we need recruits that will help us just win a game.

Charlie Gaughn 4 years ago

Good point. And at 160 pounds he's limited at the number of positions he can play. Maybe we can just hid him behind some really big slow guys until he see's an opening.

Brian Wilson 4 years ago

It's either WR or CB? We could use some speed on defense. I remember a small sppedy kid by the name of Talib that turned out pretty good for KU.

Gerry Butler 4 years ago

right Brian , agree I think actually I think we may just see him at CB use his speed on the defensive side would be a big plus, already pretty deep at receiver, but either way good to have him.

Dirk Medema 4 years ago

Aquib is 6'1", so you must be thinking of another Talib.

Ashwin Rao 4 years ago

Not funny, but I thought the same thoughts!

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 4 years ago

Great news! Hopefully this is building some momentum within the program.

Matt Schierlman 4 years ago

Read that Griffin runs the 40 in 4.2. While I doubt this is true (especially in pads), it's still very encouraging.

Dirk Medema 4 years ago

I could see that by hand timing from someone with a slow finger, but that still means he should be a legit 4.4 or 4.5 at the slowest