Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Freshman prank: Jayhawks trick novice Cheick Diallo

Kansas freshman Cheick Diallo walks out for pre-game warm-ups against Loyola Maryland, on Dec. 1, 2015.

Kansas University’s players played a joke on freshman Cheick Diallo before what turned out to be a 94-61 rout of Loyola in Diallo’s first game with the Jayhawks.

They had him run onto the court first for warmups, but did not follow through the northwest tunnel, leaving him out there alone.

“Actually Lagerald (Vick) set it up because we did it to Lagerald and Carlton (Bragg, freshmen) the first game. We had them run out by themselves,” sophomore Devonté Graham said.

“We actually did it back there (in northwest tunnel). Cheick caught us, then he started running out again. We acted like we were running and stopped again. We kinda fooled him twice. I think it made him even more nervous a little bit,” Graham added.

Diallo finished with 13 points, six rebounds and three blocks in 16 minutes.

Greg Ostertag is KU’s only other true freshman to score more points (15) in fewer minutes (12) in his Jayhawk debut (since 1988-89 when records were first kept).

Diallo’s three blocks put his name among David Padgett (5), Darrell Arthur (3) and Ben McLemore (3) as Jayhawks to post three or more blocks in a debut since 1989.

— See what people were saying about the game (and Cheick Diallo) during KUsports.com’s live coverage

More news and notes from Kansas vs. Loyola

By the Numbers: Kansas 94, Loyola 61

By the Numbers: Kansas 94, Loyola 61

Comments

Jim Johnson 3 years, 10 months ago

The trick is the way this university plays it's fans for idiots by not getting games on TV so they can be watched by all.

Jim Johnson 3 years, 10 months ago

The trick is the university not letting fans see the games on TV. .

Jim Johnson 3 years, 10 months ago

The real trick is the university not letting fans see the games on TV. Why does this make any sense?

Freddie Garza 3 years, 10 months ago

Three marketing research questions to read this article. Here's my own research question;

Who is the company conducting these surveys? Because my time is money and I feel like I should be compensated for my opinions and answers.

James Smith 3 years, 10 months ago

Agree Freddie I tried to Opt out with no luck. I never answer the questions truthfully so how good is this data?

Also to Jim. It is on TV just not free TV. Please stop complaining it was a lot worse and I would hate to see the current situation messed up. Only 4 or 5 games are not on free TV and those are usually 20 plus point blowout games. The real trick is to open up your wallet and spend some money. Go to a good sports bar and watch them there.

You have options...even on ESPN3 on your computer.

Lance Cheney 3 years, 10 months ago

Not quite. ESPN3 is blacked out for those of us in Kansas, even with a valid subscription.

Ian Legler 3 years, 10 months ago

Get HotSpot Shield, it's a free program that can essentially make it seem like your computer is in NY or LA and allows you to circumvent the blackout... I've used it tons of times with a lot of success :-)