Friday, August 7, 2015

Forward puts KU on list

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Basketball notebook. ...

Another big man in the recruiting Class of 2016 is available. T.J. Leaf, a 6-foot-10, 215-pound senior power forward from Foothills Christian from El Cajon, California, on Thursday decommitted from Arizona.

Leaf, who is ranked No. 12 nationally by Rivals.com, tells Peegs.com he has heard from coaches from Kansas University, Kentucky, Indiana, UCLA, Arizona State, Texas, North Carolina State, California, Oregon, Gonzaga, Michigan and Duke.

“I want a program that has a lot of freedom. That’s the main thing for me,” Leaf told Peegs.com. “A team that plays guys in a lot of different positions, coaches that let guys go out there and play basketball for the most part.”

UCLA is considered the leader for Leaf because three of his Compton Magic AAU teammates have committed to the Bruins. Leaf initially committed to Arizona on Nov. 19, 2014.

“A lot of it is I’ve matured as a person. I’ve matured in my walk with the Lord. I think it’s the best thing for me to look elsewhere for other options,” Leaf told Peegs.com.

It has been speculated that Leaf decommitted because Arizona coach Sean Miller cut him at tryouts for USA Basketball’s Under 19 national team while keeping prep players such as Terrance Ferguson, Josh Jackson, Jayson Tatum and Harry Giles.

“In a sense, it’s admirable that Miller took who he deemed to be the best players instead of catering to one of his recruits. He didn’t think Leaf was good enough to make the team, so he sent him home. At the same time, it easily could have upset Leaf and played into his decision to decommit,” writes Ricky O’Donnell of SBnation.com. “Miller could have selected Leaf over a player like Georgetown’s L.J. Peak or Virginia Tech’s Justin Bibbs without much criticism and just left him mostly on the bench. Instead, Leaf was sent packing along with the likes of fellow top recruit Seventh Woods, San Diego State’s Malik Pope, Gonzaga’s Silas Melson and more. After failing to make the cut for the U19 team, Leaf immediately switched national basketball allegiances to Israel, where he starred in the U18 European Championships. Which has led to some speculation that Leaf may play professionally overseas (instead of going to college) and enter the 2016 NBA Draft.”

Jackson update: Josh Jackson, a 6-7 senior forward from Prolific Prep in Napa, California, who is ranked No. 1 nationally by Rivals.com, will make an unofficial visit to Maryland in the next two weeks and visit KU and Arizona officially during the school year, Jackson’s mom, Apples Jones, tells Zagsblog.com. He’s also considering Michigan State, UCLA and others.

Asked about rumors that her son might play overseas instead of going to college for a year in advance of the 2017 NBA Draft, Jones said: “I don’t know where they came from. I can’t control it. I’m as shocked as other people who read it. Everything will take care of itself.”

Gabriel update: Wenyen Gabriel, a 6-9 senior forward from Wilbraham and Monson in Massachusetts, who is ranked No. 84 in the Class of 2016, will cut his list of schools after the Under Armour Elite 24 game Aug. 22 in New York, Zagsblog.com reports. He is considering KU, Kentucky, Duke Maryland, Texas, Notre Dame and others.

Ferguson update: Terrance Ferguson, a 6-6 senior shooting guard from Dallas who is visiting Alabama, again posted parts of his recruiting trip live on Periscope.com on Friday. The No. 11-ranked player in the Class of 2016 was shown with his mom riding in a golf cart on a tour of campus. KU and Alabama reportedly lead for Ferguson, who has said he wants to announce his decision soon. He also has had North Carolina, Texas, SMU, Louisville, Texas A&M; and others on his list.

Hawkins food drive today: Former KU guard Jeff Hawkins’ youth basketball program, Kansas United, will be holding a food drive from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m., today at the 6th Street Hy-Vee store. Kansas United players will be donating all the food they collect to local elementary schools to help stock their food pantry for the start of the school year.

Comments

Bob Thompson 4 years, 6 months ago

Not sure he sounds like a good fit for Kansas

Rodney Crain 4 years, 6 months ago

Bob you might be right, sounds like Leaf is looking for a season of McDonald AA games, no defense, no structure, just let 'em play the games style. Thats not us. Interesting he could not make his own coach's, at the time, all star team doing what he loves, but I digress, ahh youth...

I would like to know what he thinks maturity means.

Thank you for putting us on the list Mr Leaf, but I think we are looking for a different motivated type of player. Could be wrong, don't think I am on this.

Got to love Californina - "Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs..." The easy, somewhat dry and on fire, laid back perspective.

RJ King 4 years, 6 months ago

Yes we're dry and on fire, but please don't paint California with only one brush. Northern Californians are quite proud of Stanford and Cal - and are fairly busy creating and maintaining Google, Facebook, Twitter, Yelp, Craig's List, Apple, Cisco, Gap, Cost Plus, Levi's, Open Table, Uber, etc. We're also growing fruits & vegetables, making wine, and sending our water down to So Cal. Just having a few laughs at the "easy" part. :-)

Rodney Crain 4 years, 6 months ago

Relax, wait, maybe you are not from Califorina but just live there. Ahh I get it now a transplant. The people there are way more relaxed (not really paying attention) than just about any other US state, with the exception of the upper NorthEast (MA, VT, NH) and maybe Hawaii.

LOL get that list off of Wiki? If there is sooooo much happening there, why all the issues like the rest of us have? Wouldn't you think with all those dollars you would be able to put yourself in a better finacial situtuation, take better care of your land/water, your people? You are just like any other state, got the same issues we all have but Califorina does it with a ton of instate money. Sad in a way so much waste there.

Oh well, as with my Die Hard quote I was kidding about his laid back attitude towards things. Sorry had to explain that but you seem you like needed it.

RJ King 4 years, 6 months ago

Rodney, I was just attempting some light-hearted banter. I thought maybe you could use some friendly, non-insulting dialogue on this site.

Yes, I'm a transplant. i don't quite understand the "ahh" . . . (many people move after college, right?). But, after nearly 40 years living here, I can name a few things that originated in the Bay Area without Wiki

Not really paying attention? Jerry Brown was harping about climate change many, many moonbeams ago. CA has been on the cutting edge of LEED building, no smoking initiatives, stem cell initiatives, and a number of other issues that spark controversy (so I won't get into them on this site). My point is that - as a state - we are indeed paying attention.

Rodney, honestly I was just reaching out, trying to be friendly, affectionate, and non-combative. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt regarding your image and reputation on this site. But you responded with some very condescending and arguementative remarks.

My bad. I'll leave you alone

Rodney Crain 4 years, 6 months ago

RJ your best line is the last one!

I am not looking for friends on this site(shocker), I do not need the benefit of the doubt from you or anyone else. If you have not been paying attention I do not look for validation or anything else from anyone on here. ??? Very confusing comments to me.

Look Califorina is one of my favorite places to visit in spite of the people who seem to just not care. Just because of the weather, ocean and location it does mean it is some great state however. Who cares if you make all those advances if you are not taking care of your water, or the land or your poorest citizens? You are measuring the wrong things RJ, noting the wrong accimplishments to me. Measure it from the poorest person, the hungriest person. Not some tax exempt super tech who could care less about those things.

Brian Wilson 4 years, 6 months ago

Bob, are you showing signs the KU Liberal Socialist Athiest Indoctrination worked?

Len Shaffer 4 years, 6 months ago

Brian, you say that like it's a bad thing ...

Bob Thompson 4 years, 6 months ago

Brian, it is spelled atheist.... strange that the e is before i.... hum..... I graduated from KU in 1967.... not sure what the KU Liberal Socialist Atheist Indoctrination is....

Marius Rowlanski 4 years, 6 months ago

There is probably a lot more to the story than we know. I think we should keep our minds open although he is most likely going to UCLA

greg robinson 4 years, 6 months ago

There's an article in the Albuquerque paper that Alford might take his son off scholarship to make room for Leaf. Quotes from Bamba in yesterday's article make him sound like a good fit for KU.

Jaston Archie 4 years, 6 months ago

I don't know a lot about Sean Miller but I just gained a lot of respect for him with the way he made a tough decision that possibly cost him a very good player. So often these coaches bend over backwards to please these 17 and 18 year old kids, but it's good Coach Miller sent the message that he would make the right choice even if it is disadvantageous to him. You would think that Leaf would admire that quality and be driven to work harder but I guess his ego was hurt too bad. But I'm sure Arizona will have no trouble finding an adequate replacement

Rodney Crain 4 years, 6 months ago

Didn't a lot of the great players for UCLA come from outside the west coast?

Hazzard Karem Allen Warren Washington

Marius Rowlanski 4 years, 6 months ago

Put Wenyen Gabriel near the top of players Self wants to sign.

"The Kansas coaching staff came to Las Vegas to watch a couple of my games," Wenyen Gabriel said. "After my last game in Las Vegas, I talked to Coach Self on the phone and he offered me a scholarship right away. I talked to Coach Self directly and he personally offered me a scholarship."

Gabriel is expected to move up near the 5 star level:

National Basketball Recruiting Analyst Eric Bossi said ""There aren't many prospects in the class of 2016 who are hotter with college coaches than the 6-foot-9 combo forward who currently ranks No. 84 in the Rivals150. The word currently is the key here because when rankings get redone after the summer Gabriel is going to make a massive jump and may even be a candidate for five-star status."

Mick Allen 4 years, 6 months ago

Right you are Rodney. I had the privilege of playing against Lucius Allen when I was a junior at Lawrence High and he was a senior at Wyandotte High. They beat us by about 20 and Lucius went off for 32. I'm sure you remember that Lucius had some problems with the "sticky icky" while at UCLA.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 6 months ago

Very Cool, my dad was a Wyandotte alum from 1944. All I heard about was how great L. Allen was, who played there like 25 years later and Ed Asner another WY alum were. At one point when I was a little guy I thought L. Allen was my Uncle his name came up so much in the winter months. :) great share thanks Mick!

Joe Ross 4 years, 6 months ago

Well if I do the math right, Mick, that makes you about 68. What specific relation are you, if any, to the Phog.

Marius Rowlanski 4 years, 6 months ago

Schnider Herard has scheduled an in home visit w/KU. Believe the date will be Sept9.