Thursday, August 6, 2015

KU target Ferguson gives Alabama a ‘10’ on visit

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Basketball notebook. ...

One of Kansas University’s top recruits broadcast part of his campus visit to Alabama for the world to see on Internet app Periscope (which is available off Twitter) on Thursday.

Terrance Ferguson, a 6-foot-6 senior shooting guard from Dallas who attended Prime Prep Academy last season, at one point was on his cell phone speaking with a reporter from an unnamed recruiting service.

“So far I’d give it a 10,” he said of his visit to Bama, which is believed to be neck-and-neck with Kansas in the battle for the country’s No. 11-rated player according to Rivals.com.

“Everything is perfect around here. I’m having a great time here (including speaking with football coach Nick Saban). People around here are amazing,” Ferguson added.

Of first-year Crimson Tide coach Avery Johnson, who played and coached in the NBA, Ferguson said: “He can get me where I want to be at, the NBA. He has the power to do that.”

At one point, an Alabama assistant coach who was seated with Ferguson near the top of the Crimson Tide’s hoop arena, was asking Ferguson to show him how Periscope worked. They also had a discussion about the food at a popular barbecue restaurant in Tuscaloosa.

Of a timeframe for his decision, Ferguson said on Periscope: “I’m not sure. It’s up to my mother and my coach when I make my decision. I look forward to it but things change.”

He told Jayhawkslant.com he will visit KU for the Oct. 9 Late Night in the Phog. He also has had North Carolina, Texas, SMU, Louisville, Texas A&M; and others on his list.

Porter has 10 on list: Michael Porter Jr., a 6-foot-8 junior small forward from Tolton Catholic in Columbia, Missouri, who is the No. 2 rated player in the recruiting Class of 2017, this week narrowed his list of prospective colleges to 10. They are: KU, Missouri, Duke, Stanford, Kentucky, UCLA, Indiana, Virginia, Syracuse and Washington.

Porter’s younger brother, Jontay, recently committed to Washington, which could emerge as a darkhorse candidate.

Michael Porter, Sr., dad of Michael and Jontay, was a teammate of Washington coach Lorenzo Romar on an Athletes in Action team in college. Romar is Michael Jr.’s godfather.

Michael Porter Sr., is an assistant for Missouri’s women’s team. Two of Porter Sr.’s children — Bri and Cierra — play for MU’s women’s team. Bri is a sophomore; Cierra a freshman.

Tatum seeks package deals for Duke: St. Louis Chaminade High senior small forward Jayson Tatum, who recently orally committed to Duke, now is recruiting for the Blue Devils.

Rivals.com’s No. 3-rated player in the recruiting class of 2016 wrote in his USA Today blog that he speaks with No. 2-ranked Harry Giles “a couple times a day. That’s my best friend and we’ve talked about playing together for a while so I’m just staying on him.”

Giles, 6-10 senior from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Virginia, is down to Duke, Kansas University, Kentucky, Wake Forest and North Carolina.

“I’m still trying to get Dennis too! He’s another guy that I’ve talked to for a while about playing together so we’ll see what happens with everything,” the 6-8 Tatum added in his blog, referring to No. 4-ranked Dennis Smith, a 6-2 senior point guard from Trinity Christian in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Smith has a final list of Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, N.C. State, Wake Forest and Louisville.

“Honestly, I’m going after everyone that Duke has offered! I want to win a national title!” Tatum wrote.

Bamba lists KU: Mohamed Bamba, a 6-11, 205-pound junior center from Westtown School in Harlem, New York, who is ranked No. 4 in the Class of 2017, has been offered scholarships by KU, Duke, Arizona, Kentucky, Maryland, Villanova, St. John’s and others.

“I want to go to a school where I feel at home,” Bamba told Rivals.com. “Somewhere where, if I don’t go to the league straight away, I can stay for four years…I just want to go to a school where I feel comfortable enough and that’s about more than just basketball to help me progress to become a young man.”

Comments

Benz Junque 1 year, 11 months ago

This means nothing. Every recruit EVER has said good things about their visits. All this means is that he is polite.

1 year, 11 months ago

Disagree Benz. This kid was considered a lock just 2 weeks ago..now Avery has a strong shot at him.

Benz Junque 1 year, 11 months ago

Meh. No such thing as a lock any more. He's looking into his options. No biggie. He'll come to Late Night and then he'll feel silly for ranking Bama a 10 cause he'll have to give us a 15.

Rob Bedford III 1 year, 11 months ago

Coach K is on the one and done train now. Unlike Calipari, Coach K is a real coach and will win several more titles with the one and done's.

Mike Riches 1 year, 11 months ago

I understand losing some to Duke, but Bama?? This is a basketball article right? And they think they have good BBQ?? I'm sure Bama's basketball program is a "10"...on a scale of 1-100...

Glen Miller 1 year, 11 months ago

Having a coach who played in the NBA and carries weight with NBA executives goes a long way. These kids want to get to the league and Avery is feeding into that. These coaches have to be salesmen and Johnson is telling these kids that he played in the league as a guard and he knows what it takes to be in the league. It's a bigger recruiting coupe than you think. Bama is sounding more and more like this kids top choice the more I read. Let's hope he actually MAKES it to Late Night, he could commit before then.

Benz Junque 1 year, 11 months ago

Avery Johnson carries no more weight with NBA executives than Bill Self. Please.

Rodney Crain 1 year, 11 months ago

For those who have lost their memory, Diallo, Mullins, St. Johns. New "hot" Coach, past NBA player, late entry in the process. Player chooses KU.

Pump the breaks. Alabama gets on National TV when they get beat by KY. KU gets on TV, well all the time, visited by scouts, all the time, playing all over the world all the time. Great record in getting players drafted high in the NBA.

Add in AFH, all the amenities, tradition and proven coach I like our chances.

David Lara 1 year, 11 months ago

I like the new attitude from Rodney. No need to overreact to a tiny sliver of the story, right? It's the end of the story that counts in recruiting and we know we have a great shot in pretty much every situation. Rock chalk.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 11 months ago

Speaking of amenities, I just went by the new Player's Dorm and the place is going to be spectacular. Also, the DeBruce Center is coming along with the metal framing nearly completed. The Dorm and DeBruce Center should both be completed by Late Night...or darn close.

Greg Lux 1 year, 11 months ago

So much doom and gloom... KU always gets great players so everyone relax and enjoy this upcoming season. I believe it is going to be really really special...

Eliott Reeder 1 year, 11 months ago

Right? How about we just win the NC this year and then everybody will be fine no matter what happens in recruiting for next year... ;)

Gerry Butler 1 year, 11 months ago

Thank you Rodney. very valid points for sure, admittedly ya concerning and they ( Bama ) has made up a lot of ground in recruiting Terrance, but as Rodney says and points out, Look at the Basketball tradition comparisons, Every year KU sending players into the N.B.A ,We have the 2nd most all time wins in the history of the NCAA in basketball, we play on a constant bases one of the if not toughest schedules year in year out, National exposure game, after, game, after game NCAA championships, again tradition, tradition, tradition. I don't get it IF he does wind up choosing Alabama just makes no sense what so ever. he has made multiple trips to Ku coming to late night again this year. He thinks people at Alabama are amazing? wait till late night and see's the crazyiness and how the players are treated here at the home of NCAA basketball its a zoo. Can Alabama stake claim to multiple conference championships? uh no, Can Alabama stake claim to multiple NCAA titles? uh no, shall we compare the number of KU players placed in the NBA to the Alabama players playing in the NBA or on NBA rosters. right, there is NO COMPARISON relax its going to be ok. IF NOT? then as Greg says we always do just fine, oh ya just thought of this also how does Alabama stack up in consectitive weeks of being ranked in the top 25 compared to KU? just a little side note that ought to pretty well speak for the programs its self. ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Joe Ross 1 year, 11 months ago

If on a scale from 1 to 10 Alabama ranks a "10", then Kansas is a 2,374.

Our program is better, there is better exposure here, and your chance of making the pros is much higher due to the coaching and improvment you will witness. In essence, its in a player's personal best interest to choose Kansas over Alabama.

If a recruit is not intelligent enough to see that, you need to question if you want him here in the first place. I dont mind players choosing Kansas for selfish reasons (lets stop playing the morality police by saying there's something wrong with that). What I DO mind is having players here that are not very smart. If he wants 'Bama, give him 'Bama.

It's not like Kansas is Appalachian State. We will survive, I promise you.

Glen Miller 1 year, 11 months ago

Just because our program is "better" doesn't mean we will always get the recruits...... we've lost several recruits to teams with much less success and a poor track record. Some of these places can promise things we can't, that's just the name of the game sometimes. We'll still be just fine either way. Coach Self will get some high caliber players on board, he always does.

Joe Ross 1 year, 11 months ago

Glen, read my comment again while keeping the question in your mind as to whether or not I understand that blue chip recruits may not choose Kansas even though our program compares favorably with others'.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 11 months ago

Bingo.

I'm tired of watching players that are too stupid or lazy to play/learn basic ball. If the guy it that dumb to want Alabama over Kansas, we are probably much better off without him.

1 year, 11 months ago

Maybe he has developed a strong relationship w/a very charismatic Avery Johnson. Maybe he feels Alabama is a better fit. Just because a kid picks another school doesn't mean he's a dumb**s.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 11 months ago

Perhaps. Nevertheless, Self and Kansas has a long demonstrated history of developing players for the pros. Since Avery and Alabama remain unproven in this regard, that's a big leap of faith to place in one's future.

1 year, 11 months ago

Then the same could have been said of Fred Hoiberg who was only an assistant coach for the Timberwolves for a brief period. He seemed to do pretty good.

Personally, I think Ferguson would be making a mistake but it's his to make without being called lazy or dumb for making it.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 11 months ago

Hoiberg proved his abilities to develop players with less talent. He earned his stripes.

Tom Jones 1 year, 11 months ago

Pretty sure we can still call him dumb if he chooses Bama over KU.

Benz Junque 1 year, 11 months ago

Really? What history of developing players for the pros does Fred Hoiberg have? Because that's what we're talking about here.

Benz Junque 1 year, 11 months ago

Meh, everyone has their own reason they choose a school. Maybe he likes the restaurant next to the dorms. Maybe his high school crush is going there. Maybe he had an Avery Johnson poster on his wall when he was a kid. Who knows.

What I do know is that every day that clicks by without him committing to Bama increases the odds that he ends up and Kansas. Once the hype of the push by his group to go to Bama slows and the memory fades of his visit and he steps foot into Allen Fieldhouse for Late Night, he is ours. I'll bet he doesn't make it to the Wednesday after Late Night before he commits to Kansas.

Mick Allen 1 year, 11 months ago

Rodney, Gerry and Joe, I wholeheartedly agree with your assessments regarding our recruitment of Terrance. If his choice is the Crimson Tide, I understand it if he is going out for football. Perhaps he would rather play in front of 6,000 to 7,000 spectators for home games instead of 16,200 every home game. At Tuscaloosa he would be just another D1 athlete. Here in Larry he would be lionized.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 11 months ago

16,300. This year, I have 4 of those last 100 seats you left out.