Originally published April 23, 2015 at 11:46p.m., updated April 24, 2015 at 12:15p.m.

Malik Newman chooses Mississippi State

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Malik Newman, a 6-foot-3 senior combo guard from Callaway High in Jackson, Mississippi, who is ranked No. 8 nationally in the Class of 2015 by Rivals.com, today orally committed to play basketball at Mississippi State in his news conference at the Clarion-Ledger newspaper.

He chose MSU over Kansas and Kentucky. His dad, Horatio Webster played at Mississippi State in the 1990s.

Maker hoax: Thon Maker, a 7-foot senior from Orangeville Prep in Mono, Ontario, who is ranked No. 9 nationally by Rivals.com, said he was victim of a hoax this week. He said he was not responsible for putting a picture of Indiana and Kentucky No. 14 jerseys on his Facebook page with the words, “Which way? Hoosiers or Wildcats?”

Maker responded on Twitter: “Someone else pretending to be me and he’s misleading people on Facebook.”

Maker actually has a list of Kansas University, Kentucky, Indiana and Arizona State. Maker’s mentor has said he’s scheduled to graduate from high school in August. It’s possible he may not enroll at a college until second semester of the 2015-16 season. Presumably he’d leave for the pros after one semester of college ball in that scenario.

Custer to Loyola: Former Iowa State guard Clayton Custer this week announced plans to transfer to Loyola University in Chicago. Custer was a former standout at Blue Valley Northwest, who was ranked No. 92 in the recruiting Class of 2014. The 6-footer scored 13 points in 12 games for the Cyclones his freshman season. Custer’s former high school teammate, Ben Richardson, plays at Loyola as does former KU guard Milton Doyle.

Paschall to Nova: Former Fordham guard Eric Paschall has decided to transfer to Villanova over KU, Providence and Florida.

Grady on market: Anton Grady, second-leading scorer on Cleveland State’s basketball team, has decided to become a fifth-year graduate transfer, the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reports. Grady is a 6-8, 225-pound forward who averaged 14.3 points a game last season. Grady told ESPN’s Jeff Goodman he’s heard from KU, Kansas State, Iowa State, Xavier, Pitt, Dayton, Nebraska and North Carolina State. He’d be immediately eligible next season.

Walker to leave Florida?: There’s another interesting transfer who may be on the market. Sophomore forward Chris Walker, a former McDonald’s All-American, will be leaving Florida, according to Zagsblog.com and Scout.com. If the 6-10 sophomore does leave, he could transfer or turn pro. He averaged 4.7 points and 3.5 rebounds last season.

Indy tournament coming: KU coaches are expected to attend the Adidas Gauntlet tournament in Indianapolis this weekend. Zagsblog.com says KU wants to check out Class of 2016 guards Rawle Alkins and Mustapha Heron. Alkins is a 6-4 junior combo guard from Christ the King in Brooklyn, New York, who is ranked No. 26 nationally. Mustapha Heron is a 6-2 junior combo guard from Sacred Heart High in Waterbury, Connecticut. Both play for the New York Rens. Teams interested in the duo include KU, Duke, Arizona, Miami, Michigan, Indiana, Villanova, St. John’s, Marquette and others.

Comments

Brett McCabe 6 years, 7 months ago

Newman, like Turner and Zimmerman, has played the game well. He's known where he's going for months. But people are still talking about him.

Joe Ross 6 years, 7 months ago

This is a case of attempting to make ones personal speculation as general fact. Just like you, I think Newman will NOT pick Kansas, but this doesnt justify making up scenarios that are based upon mind-reading.

Joe Ross 6 years, 7 months ago

Again, and as above, while the fact that Newman's not choosing Kansas is not surprising, the supernatural is nevertheless precluded in Malik's recruitment. But we can do a little scientific experiment to validate your claim. Where do the following go?

Cheick Diallo? Thon Maker? Jaylen Brown? Brandon Ingram?

Which transfers, if any, will commit to Kansas?

What guys not on our roster will Kansas take with us to the WUGs?

While we're at it, can you let us know when and if all relevant parties to a new age-limit mandate will get it done?

Rodney Crain 6 years, 7 months ago

Joe he is just upset. Totally in defense reaction mode.

Joe Ross 6 years, 7 months ago

Ill give him more credit than that. I mean maybe he's on to something. Let's not judge too soon or too harshly. I'm hoping to get some information out of him regarding the remaining recruits. Besides, everyone should have the opportunity to prove himself.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 7 months ago

It sounds like Newman knew for a few weeks at least Joe. This is from the CBS article about Newman signing with MSU.

"Truth is, Newman had already canceled scheduled visits with multiple schools and shut his recruitment down by the time Wednesday's report posted at CBSSports.com. On Thursday, multiple sources reiterated to CBSSports.com that, despite what Newman told his hometown newspaper, the recruitment was indeed over and had been "for a while.""

Joe Ross 6 years, 7 months ago

I have no problem conceding that Newman had known that he would commit to MS for a "few weeks". In the article KU basketball recruiting notebook: Newman undecided, I suggested that Newman may be secretly decided already.

The problem that I have is that "weeks" and "months" are not synonymous. In neither Gary Parrish's announcement that Newman's commitment to MS was imminent nor in the quote that you posted from a more recent CBS article could it be construed that Malik's intentions were clear to anyone for even a period of one whole month. No source I have seen suggests he had been decided at least that long. Therefore, how anyone could suggest they they were certain who he would commit to or not commit to for "months" (plural, with the implication, within context, being at least "3" and possibly more) is nothing less than disingenuous.

Joe Ross 6 years, 7 months ago

With respect, it takes no algebra to deny your original assertion even if you meant "two" when you say "...he's known for months". No such evidence exists to support that position, and if it does you will gladly provide it Im sure. Happy to be played because of the benefit we derive from your knowing the minds and destinations of the uncommitted young men. Where are they going again?

Joe Ross 6 years, 7 months ago

"Malik Newman and Diamond Stone, the Nos. 1- and 3-ranked high school basketball players in the recruiting Class of 2015, say they’ll definitely attend the same college as part of a so-called “package deal.”...“It’s 100 percent,” Newman, a 6-foot-3 combo guard and Rivals.com’s top-rated player nationally, from Callaway High in Jackson, Mississippi, told Zagsblog.com. “That’s the plan. We don’t plan on changing. We try to talk about it at least once a week.”

Lacking all facetiousness, Newman did not know where he was going "for months." As we know, Diamond Stone is signed with Maryland.

Joe Ross 6 years, 7 months ago

In related news, he's going to announce at noon today.

Mark Lindrud 6 years, 7 months ago

Who nose where he is going, but I just want to hear about players coming to KU soon.

Eliott Reeder 6 years, 7 months ago

Eye ear he's probably head-ing to Miss St... ;)

Tony Bandle 6 years, 7 months ago

Who nose what lurks in the hearts of men??? The Shadow nose!!

Rodney Crain 6 years, 7 months ago

It has been a very strange recruiting path KU has taken this year. There are so many things in motion right now, so many changes everyday it seems there are numerous possibilities still in play. Unfortunately most of the outcomes are less than optimal for our team. As in sports sometimes it just is not your year.

Hoping for something positive over the next few days for our Jayhawks.

Mark Lindrud 6 years, 7 months ago

Something is definitely strange in the air. Like you I feel this will not be a big year in recruiting for us, but somehow I feel we will end up getting guys like Graham who aren't highly recruited, but will be the type we can expect to stay at least 3 years. Just a feeling, and I do hope we start hearing kids pick KU real soon.

Dirk Medema 6 years, 7 months ago

The positive in the recruiting is that Newman is picking MSU, and Zimmerman picked UNLV, and a bunch of other top recruits are picking schools other than the elite. It is nice to see some parity in the recruiting. IMO, it also nice to see some schools scramble to fill PG positions with HS Jr's (reclassifying) just so that they can have someone to lead their team. A highly rated Jr will likely be a good D1 player, but that yr of development does make a difference in just the opposite way that it did for Mason and Graham who both spent an extra year developing in prep school after HS graduation. Personally, I like what Coach Self has done there in positioning our team with multiple players at most positions. One goes down? Next?

Dee Shaw 6 years, 7 months ago

My fault getting all caught up in this recruiting crap. Amazed how much interest I have in a 16-18 young mans decision. This stuff gets really old but every day I continue to check and see if any recruiting target has chosen KU. Not sure why.

Joe Ross 6 years, 7 months ago

Dee, youre absolutely right!

With these kids, it's a little heartbreaking if you've followed a kid as a recruit and discussed his recruitment over and over only to see him choose another school. "Deflate-gate", right?

But if you get one...oh, the joy!

It puts your emotions through the wringer a little bit.

Lance Cheney 6 years, 7 months ago

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me?

Rob Bedford III 6 years, 7 months ago

Has anyone considered that the World Games may be hurting recruiting this year?

Adam Tyler 6 years, 7 months ago

Please explain how they would be hurting recruiting.

Rob Bedford III 6 years, 7 months ago

Just a thought. Perhaps there are a bunch of concerned parents that do not want their kids traveling to Korea. It is a great opportunity to play for country but it is a big trip and there are some dangers involved.

Rob Bedford III 6 years, 7 months ago

It was just a thought. Trying to wrap my mind around why KU is striking out on all their recruits this year. And just because it is in South Korea does not make it any less dangerous. The United States' ambassador to South Korea recently has his face slashed in Seoul. The World Games can bring out some people that would wish to hurt the US. Again it was just a thought. Maybe KU is just not a top choice after the two recent early exits from the NCAA tourney.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 7 months ago

OAD type recruits like big minutes, KU doesn't have big minutes to offer.

RJ King 6 years, 7 months ago

It's in Europe. They're known for their Korean countertops. And musician Chick Korea.

Joe Joseph 6 years, 7 months ago

No more danger involved than playing a game in Bramlage.

Benz Junque 6 years, 7 months ago

Just a reminder that every single one of these kids has been competing for Team USA for multiple years. It's really not the draw that some fans have convinced themselves it is.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 7 months ago

I don't think WUG is that big of deal one way or the other with recruits.

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 7 months ago

I think that qualifies as an opinion. That's what most people do here.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 7 months ago

It's fine Marius, Brett is just upset and lashing out. He is improving, it is a process, one step at a time, one step at a time.

Thank you for the post!

Tony Bandle 6 years, 7 months ago

My guess is where they are playing in South Korea , the only thing dangerous is the kimjie!! :)

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 7 months ago

Come on..Beef Bulgogi, Kimchi and Galbi are all delicious.

Mike Riches 6 years, 7 months ago

I don't think they would hurt recruiting at all, but I definitely don't see anything wrong with throwing out the thought!

I don't think we've missed on any more players this year than we have in other years. It may feel that way since we're almost in May and have only one commit, but I think that has more to do with having so many returning players, and the fact that a good percentage of the guys Self is targetting still haven't announced.

Chad Durbin 6 years, 7 months ago

How many of us really knew what they wanted to do at age 17-19? They are living "yolo" and some may make a decision based on the color of jersey and number they look best in... I think Brett said it best, the top guys really know where they are going months in advance, but transfers and leaving for the NBA effects pt. KU has many irons in the fire, I had not heard that they were looking at Paschall or Grady? Chris Walker would be an interesting prospect? 6'10 and played under Donovan, maybe HCBS should make a trip to Florida? Rob, how can you say an international trip would hurt recruiting? Think about all that talent that is not noticed overseas. International trips like that puts KU front and center on the map.

Rob Bedford III 6 years, 7 months ago

It was just a thought Chad. I never said it was hurting recruiting. I just threw out one possible reason why KU may be missing their targets this year.

Brian Wilson 6 years, 7 months ago

Good post. I have been posting lists of players that are available just demonstrating that Bill Self has options we most likely have never even heard about. Someone else can chime in, but I believe schools are limited to number of offers. So Bill is making offers to the top guys while telling others to wait and see what happens because in the end KU may have an opening and Bill has to hold back offers. Also, here is why I think Bill doesn't like the 5th year rule. I think, some really good 5th year Seniors are not declaring they are transferring until they know there is an opening at a top 10 school. Yolo, and a last ditch chance to run for the championship and the pros can be strategically enticing. So the 5th year Seniors are willing to leave their school to level-up. In the meantime, until they know where they can go, why alienate your current school by saying you want to transfer until you know you can land at a new spot at a KU or a Kentucky. My prediction, as the top players are done declaring you will see more good players transfer that we never saw coming.

Brian Wilson 6 years, 7 months ago

5th Year Senior Rule, correct me if wrong, I believe the rule is, a 5th year senior that has redshirted and has graduated still has a year of eligibility has the choice to either stay and play at their University or to transfer and immediately play at another school while going for their Master's degree in graduate school. The rule was created as it was unfair to take away a year of eligibility just because a student graduates on time and had redshirted and because not all schools have an accredited Master's or Doctorate's program in every subject.
Now, graduated 5th year Seniors are using it to their advantage. Which in my mind is a good thing, a good reason to red shirt, a good reason to go to summer classes, a good reason to graduate in 4 years. And if accomplished, a full ride scholarship in graduates school. Since graduates school costs more, it costs the top basketball schools more money for players that are not One and Done scrambling around filling holes in their lineup robbing smaller schools of their better more experienced players. Players can't be approached until they declare they are transferring or its considered tampering. I have a list of players that have declared they are transferring but are undecided where they are going to graduates school.

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 7 months ago

5 years to use 4 years of eligibility and has graduated. I think you've got right and what a great way to get recruited twice.

RJ King 6 years, 7 months ago

There's no "5th Year" or "Red-shirting" requirement. Pretty sure it's just the "graduated senior rule." Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tarik Black competed all graduation requirements in 3 years, so was eligible to transfer without sitting out.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 7 months ago

All you have to do is graduate and enroll in a masters program not offered by the original school. Jordan Webb graduated and enrolled at Colorado and had 2 years of eligibility left.

John Fitzgerald 6 years, 7 months ago

I'm not as concerned about the recruits we could get, I'm more concerned about the guys we have now and their improvement. Lucas and Mickelson will be the deciding factor for us next year. They have to know that their progress will determine a lot for this team. I challenge them and see how they handle it.

Allison Steen 6 years, 7 months ago

I honestly am fairly optimistic about Lucas. I REALLY think he improved with playing time, and sometimes he was a bright light down low when nothing else was happening for us. Yes, I would love a top ranked center and we have a better chance of going deep in the tournament if we have that, but we have two that if they add strength and are aggressive, we still would have a really well rounded team.

Ben Simonett 6 years, 7 months ago

Relying on the development of two bigs in the post danny manning era is dangerous.

The fact that we havent seen any development from them(and especially traylor) over the last couple of years already would suggest there wont be much in the next year either.

John Fitzgerald 6 years, 7 months ago

Did I say "I'm relying on" or did I say "I'm more concerned" about their improvement?

Ben Simonett 6 years, 7 months ago

you said "concerned with"

my reply was an argument for why that is a valid concern

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 7 months ago

Jeff Withey? TRob? Morris twins? We would see a lot more development if the trend toward OADs reverses.

As for Traylor, he came here as a non-rated three-star player. I know I have seen major improvement though at times he does hit periods in which can make anybody frustrated.

Ben Simonett 6 years, 7 months ago

Withey TRob and the Morri were all mentored by danny manning. my point was we havent seen the consistent improvement with this new batch of bigs that have progressed over the past few years without manning as we did with the bigs you listed.

Joe Joseph 6 years, 7 months ago

I disagree.

Withey, T-Rob, and the Morris twins all came to KU with much higher ceilings than the bigs Self has landed self Manning's departure. Lucas and Traylor have both developed significantly over the past few years. They just aren't as naturally gifted/skilled as some of those who came before them.

Ben Simonett 6 years, 7 months ago

Good point. Probably not a valid comparison talent wise between the two groups.

I guess we don't really have an accurate sample of what the post-manning era program can do with bigs that have significant upside.

Bragg and hopefully Diallo will be the first

Alex Resnik 6 years, 7 months ago

One thing you can compare is the talent level. While Manning was here, we had recruited great talent, post Manning, we haven't had as talented recruits.

RJ King 6 years, 7 months ago

The 3rd pick in the draft last year had a fair amount of talent.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 7 months ago

Last year was the 3rd season without Manning. KU has had starting front courts of T-Rob-Withey, Ellis-Embiid/Black, and Ellis-Alexander/Traylor/Lucas. I think we can reasonably eliminate T-Rob/Withey from this since they were Manning products. So looking at the starting front courts KU has trotted out the past two seasons, the Ellis/Embiid combination was dominant prior to Embiid getting hurt and Black and Traylor had phenomenal chemistry with each other as well. The front court this past season was definitely lacking as Perry doesn't have great chemistry with Traylor because they're basically the same player (with Ellis being the more skilled obviously) and Lucas just not being strong enough to hold his position. Cliff was getting better as the season went and KU was at their best offensively when Perry and Cliff were on the same page. Landen is a good fundamental player (he knows passing angles and where he needs to be on the floor), but his lack of strength killed him last year. If he gets strong enough to hold his position on the floor (after 3 years in the program, I honestly don't know if he can), he will be an effective player that can be the low in the high-low and really help Perry out and make him a great player.

At the moment, the Danny era bigs have a slight edge because Cliff didn't pan out as expected, but the sample size just isn't large enough to make a general assumption like that yet. Jamari Traylor has made huge strides from when he first got here and he's done it without Danny for all but 1 semester. Landen has made significant strides from someone who had little business being on the floor to at least being able to hold his own and has 2 more years of development left. Only time will tell, but I honestly don't think the loss of Danny is as extreme as some people are claiming.

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 7 months ago

I got you...and I agree with your assessment. You can probably figure out where I went wrong.

Dirk Medema 6 years, 7 months ago

I think I've seen plenty of development in Traylor in the last couple years. He hasn't reached the height of some of our other bigs, but then he doesn't have the height (or ceiling realistically) of the others.

Because we've only seen part of one season for Landon and Hunter, it would really be hard to talk about development (improvement over time), though the fact that Landon hadn't seen the floor for more than mop up minutes in the past, and was contributing by the end of the year would indicate that he had indeed developed. Again, not to the level of the other bigs we've had over the years by then end of their careers, but then Landon in particular still has 2 years to develop. There's lots more for him to contribute in the next couple. While he is not likely to be the focal point of the O or D for that matter, he mostly certainly can be a really solid building block that allows an elite player to flourish. Sort of a Chris Piper type - who was crucial in the '88 NC against OU, because we had a second quality big to play alongside Danny when opposing with 2 quality bigs.

Tyler Capone 6 years, 7 months ago

we can only go so far with a 6'8 Perry Ellis (Whom I love) as our only post threat and inconsistent scoring/shooting out of our guards with the exception of Mason

Tyson Ailshie 6 years, 7 months ago

4 Malik Newman articles in the span of a few days. Seems like overkill coverage for a player that appears to be headed somewhere other than KU. And it doesn't surprise me. We are loaded in our back court. There wouldn't be enough minutes to go around. What's the timetable for Diallo and Brown? What's the latest on Outlaw?

Tony Bandle 6 years, 7 months ago

Tyson, I guess you can chalk it up to a slow news week on the recruiting front.

Question for you all, if it meant KU winning a National Championship, would you accept Calipari as the next KU coach? Just askin'.

Lance Cheney 6 years, 7 months ago

No, because it would be vacated within 10 years.

Tyson Ailshie 6 years, 7 months ago

That's a great question, Tony. Initially my first response would be yes because I want a NC so badly. But then, after careful consideration, I realize that it is a selfish thought and that I wouldn't want a NC title to be to the detriment of the program. Plus, I just don't like Calipari's personality. It wouldn't be a good fit for KU basketball.

Benz Junque 6 years, 7 months ago

There have been PLAYERS that I didn't like or respect the type of person they are that have played at Kansas but I still cheered for them to have good results. If Calipari were available, I wouldn't have a problem with him. I would never like him personally but as long as he kept KU out of trouble I would be supportive of a team coached by him.

Janet Olin 6 years, 7 months ago

Hell.No. The cheat has torched two prior programs as head coach. Cal-Lie-pari has no place at KU. If that ever happens, I will forfeit my lifetime membership in Jayhawk Nation.

Ben Simonett 6 years, 7 months ago

Then you'd be a non-fan watching your old program win national championships. That would suck in my opinion

Adam Tyler 6 years, 7 months ago

Calipari has never won championships anywhere.

He has one.

Just like our coach.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 7 months ago

So you forfeited your membership in 1982 then?

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 7 months ago

John Calipari did start his coaching career as an assistant at Kansas under Ted Owens and Larry Brown before moving over to Pitt and being replaced by current head coach Bill Self.

I know Cal has never officially been linked to a major violation himself, but I have serious doubts he didn't know what was going on in the Derrick Rose situation although I'm still of the opinion that Memphis should sue the NCAA to get that season back. It was NCAA that cleared Rose when they never should have and when they realized their mistake, Memphis paid the price for the NCAA being incompetent. I was also pretty surprised nothing happened with the Eric Bledsoe case although I'm guessing something similar with the Cliff case in that NCAA's lack of subpoena power kept them from getting their hands on the smoking gun itself.

As for the actual premise of the question, would I want Calipari coaching KU if it meant a national title? My honest answer is yes. Kansas, like Kentucky has a standing in college basketball high enough that I don't think the NCAA would vacate a national title where there's a lot of grey area involved in a violation.

Allison Steen 6 years, 7 months ago

Even if you don't actually have to vacate a national title, why would you want a dirty championship? Makes no sense to me. I will pass having a constant cloud of suspension over my team every year.

Joe Joseph 6 years, 7 months ago

While it may not qualify as "dirty," or something that is unique to Kansas, the hiring of Ed Manning and Ronnie Chalmers is at least a little bit sketchy. So, that's at least two of KU's three NCAA championships that were won with some questionable recruiting tactics...

Dirk Medema 6 years, 7 months ago

And you didn't mention the smoldering surround Arthur's HS classes.

Allison Steen 6 years, 7 months ago

I'm not going to say you don't make a good point, because you do, but at the same time, that is allowed so I don't have an issue with it.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 7 months ago

It's not allowed any more. Schools are not allowed to hire people With the purpose of signing a recruit that person is connected to.

Allison Steen 6 years, 7 months ago

No, I can't stand to listen to that as* hat talk. People hate KU for being KU but they respect Bill Self.

Benz Junque 6 years, 7 months ago

Many opponents think he is a smug, arrogant jerk that has committedd numerous recruiting violations. Just an FYI.

Allison Steen 6 years, 7 months ago

That Bill Self is a smug, arrogant jerk? I have literally never heard that in my entire life. The media multiple times has said how enjoyable Self is to interview and be around. Great wit, personable and friendly. I personally have met him and thought he was an incredibly nice guy and if I lived under a rock, I would have no idea he was a rich, successful coach.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 7 months ago

There's plenty of people out there who think Self's dirty. Just read the comments on any ESPN, CBS, or NBC article about Kansas basketball.

Allison Steen 6 years, 7 months ago

Well I didn't say anything about the recruiting violations (everyone commits small infractions, I'm sure of it), I said I've never heard he's an as*hole. And I'm not really gonna take the word of trolls that decide to write on articles that have nothing to do with their own team. Its no secret that people love to hate on KU. But Self has never been linked to any real recruiting violations. Oh, and he hasn't had to vacate any final fours so until he does, he's not dirty in my book, and hes not on Calipari's level. Sorry.

Ron Prichard 6 years, 7 months ago

You're talking fans for other teams that bash Self? Of course they think he's a dirty jerk. He routinely beats their team year in and year out. The people we should care about are other coaches' opinions, and to a lesser extent, media personalities. If they start talking about him being dirty, then we have a problem. Fan opinions shouldn't worry anyone.

Allison Steen 6 years, 7 months ago

Now, if you were talking about Calipari, then yes, I am very aware. But even my most ridiculous and juvenile kstate/missouri friends have huge respect for Bill Self. I don't know where you're getting your information.

Benz Junque 6 years, 7 months ago

Since it would be impossible to guarantee that there is no point in answering it. So here's a better question:

If Bill Self left Kansas and decided to go to Oklahoma City to coach the Thunder and you heard that Kansas was going to contact Calipari about the coaching vacancy, would you be excited or disgusted?

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 7 months ago

The question was a hypothetical, you can set whatever parameters you want for a hypothetical.

To answer your hypothetical, it would depend on who else KU interviewed. I also wouldn't be thrilled with the price tag though since Cal would likely cost $10 mil per season to get him out of Lexington at this point.

RJ King 6 years, 7 months ago

disgusted, and wanting KU to find someone younger and hopefully long-term.

Dirk Medema 6 years, 7 months ago

That presumes that Self is leaving and that Caliper would come.

The former will happen eventually, but the latter is really unlikely, and probably not desirable under most scenarios. About the only way I could see Calipari even considering it is if he had already left UK. I don't see that happening voluntarily (He's already tried the NBA route and came back when that failed, so not likely to happen again.), because UK is one of the other elite of elite jobs. If he's asked to leave, it would be because of a major infraction actually sticking to him, or somehow his 1-2 yr turnover program has somehow run into too many Robert Morris years. (Does he have a PG for next year that isn't a reject from another lower achieving D1 program?) Personally, I think there will be several other high quality coaches from major (non-elite of elite) programs (Turgeon, Manning, ...) that will be very interested in KU when Coach Self decides to finally kick back. Coaches that will continue the tradition for years/decades to come, and win NC's in the process.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 7 months ago

The question is 100% hypothetical. It's the kind of question you ask while sitting at a bar having drinks with your friends. We all realize that if Bill Self left today, KU isn't asking Cal to replace because they aren't going to spend the money on him.

Andrew Holmes 6 years, 7 months ago

Honestly, I like the team we will have next year. If everyone stays health we'll be experienced. If KU gets no more recruits here's the team I see starting with subs.

G - Mason - Jr. G - Selden - Jr. G/F - Svi or Greene - So./Jr. F - Ellis - Sr. F - Bragg - Fr.

Graham - So. Traylor - Sr. Lucas - Jr. Mickelson - Sr. The other of Svi or Graham

That's 10 guys who, at one point or another (other than Bragg), contributed last year and helped win a game for KU last year. We don't win some of the games we won without at least one of the above names picking up their game and carrying the team for a stretch or even an entire game. Yes, those 10 names may not be the most athletic bunch, but I'd rather see the team be more cohesive than the last couple of years, and I think this team can be. Would I love to see a Diallo or a Newman on the roster? Definitely, but I don't believe the sky is falling if they don't. Our two best prospects (Wiggins, Oubre) the last couple of years have won games for us, but when it came to the tournament, they deferred to older guys and didn't do much when they should have taken over. That shouldn't happen this year with everyone being older.

Rob Bedford III 6 years, 7 months ago

Two players left in the top 10. Brandon Ingram will likely choose Duke on Monday leaving us all hoping Diallo will pick KU.

Allison Steen 6 years, 7 months ago

Yeah we don't want him. Hard pass. What is the point in having a player for a semester?

Lance Cheney 6 years, 7 months ago

God no. But now he'll probably come here since I don't want him.

Dee Shaw 6 years, 7 months ago

Really that's a surprise. NOT. I am glad that Kentucky looses out again on another high profile recruit. Love it.

Ben Simonett 6 years, 7 months ago

a Chris Walker transfer would be amazing. he was heavy KU lean before he followed his AAU point guard to Florida. Two of his other AAU teammates, Breannen Greene and Joel Embiid became jayhawks.

Walker is an athletic freak that really just needs to get stronger and develop a consistent post move or two to get to the next level.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 7 months ago

No, just no. This is a Naadir Tharpe type situation. Walker is not voluntarily leaving Gainesville. Donovan letting Walker transfer is to save face for Walker the same way Self did for Tharpe. Walker missed the first semester his freshman year because of academics and was suspended to start this year because he made a lot of bad decisions. With the lack of leadership on KU right now, Chris Walker is someone KU needs to avoid like the plague. Walker has also been a huge bust on the court for Florida as well.

This article doesn't exactly paint Walker in a good light and he didn't do much disprove it during the season either. http://www.onlygators.com/10/15/2014/florida-gators-fc-chris-walker-suspended-three-games/

Ben Simonett 6 years, 7 months ago

Good point in regards to the lack of leadership needed to keep him in check. but at this point i think rolling the dice on walker is a better bet then rolling the dice on some the remaining unranked recruits.

Just my opinion though. its a pick your poision scenario either way

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 7 months ago

Chris Walker is why Florida missed the NCAA tournament this season. There's a reason why Calipari passed on Walker. Walker was a 6-10 top 10 recruit who has averaged under 5 points and 4 rebounds through two seasons. KU can get that kind of production from a sub 100 recruit without the baggage that Walker brings with him.

Ben Simonett 6 years, 7 months ago

True, but you dont get the potential upside with the sub 100 recruits that walker still brings.

anyway seems like a moot discussion if he's declared for the draft

Adam Tyler 6 years, 7 months ago

Walker just declared for the NBA Draft according to Jeff Goodman

Adam Tyler 6 years, 7 months ago

Chris Walker is a headcase who has never proved anything at the Divison 1 level.

Id prefer we stay far, far away from him.

Joe Ross 6 years, 7 months ago

I wouldnt take Walker. The guy averaged less than 5 points in a conference that was not strong. Pass.

Benz Junque 6 years, 7 months ago

Absolutely NOT on Walker. The kid is severely lacking between the ears. Besides, he just announced he is heading to the NBA Draft.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 7 months ago

Initial post was made before Walker announced. And he only announced because nobody else would take him.

John Fitzgerald 6 years, 7 months ago

At least he didn't go to Kentucky. Actually, he'll get to play Kentucky a few times and possibly beat them. I don't know about you guys, but I like that possibility.

Andrew Holmes 6 years, 7 months ago

New recruiting gameplan.

KU needs to start recruiting guys in the latter half of the top 50 and hope that they have sons that are better than them, so in 30+ years we will have that family connection and get the recruit.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 7 months ago

Except Self actually has to recruit those kids. Phil Forte did not get seriously recruited despite being a KU legacy

RJ King 6 years, 7 months ago

May not have to wait 30 years. In fifteen years there will be a little Tharpe.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 7 months ago

Isn't Naadir's kid a daughter?

I believe Travis Releford has a son and I don't remember what Sherron's kid is so there's other possibilities out there. Plus, I'm guessing some of Roy's players have kids that are getting close to being recruited.

Erich Hartmann 6 years, 7 months ago

Sherron lost a son. I believe his 2nd child (while at KU) is Sherr'Mari, a girl. I could be mistaken. And after losing a child, I can understand to an extent his motivational hesitancy in leaving Chicago. It seemed a no-brainer at the time when MJ of Charlotte Hornets gives you a 2nd chance, your azz is on the plane. I only have angst about it for Sherron's sake, one of the toughest, winningest Jayhawks to ever play here. Loved him when he was here, thank him and Chalmers for 08NC.

RJ King 6 years, 7 months ago

Erich - I had not heard about Sherron losing a child. Collins was such a great example of a team player - effort, heart, LOYALTY and skill. (Snarky comments about his weight seemed so disrespectful, judgmental and immature.) Knowing about this loss further illuminates what he has been dealing with. Thanks for the insight.

Robert Brock 6 years, 7 months ago

Bedore will continue to write articles about Malik Newman considering Kansas even though Newman has made his obvious choice. It's what Bedore does. Whatever Shay says...

Joe Ross 6 years, 7 months ago

John said it right above.

I see the Newman commitment as a positive. In all likelihood, Kansas wasn't going to get him anyway. That left him in play for Kentucky. The last thing Kansas needs is to have Kentucky reload both barrels with highly-ranked commits. A recruiting loss by KY is a recruiting win for Kansas.

Adam Tyler 6 years, 7 months ago

"A recruiting loss by KY is a recruiting win for Kansas."

And it's also the definition of being a hater!

But I can't lie, I feel the EXACT same way.

Every Kentucky miss makes me smile.

Adam Tyler 6 years, 7 months ago

If Kentucky monopolized college basketball wouldn't they have more than one championship in Caliparis time there? In that same time period Duke and UCONN have won two each.

Kentucky absolutely owns recruiting the past 5 years. That is clear to everyone. But winning the recruiting title and NCAA title are different. And only one of them really matters.

Yes, Adam!

Despite our dearly departed Adolph Rupp's taking Phog's Coaching to KY and becoming the Baron of the Bluegrass, I hate Kentucky. I admit it: I'm a hater. Now that Missouri is out of the conference, I have a little more venom to spare for the Wildcats.

Glad we're in good company together. Let's hope we have more to smile about when the last blue-chip '15 recruits commit.

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 7 months ago

Cal's a good man. I love the Kansas / KY ties. KY is setting the pace. Kansas just needs to get better.

Joe Ross 6 years, 7 months ago

I'll go this far with you: John Calipari is a much better coach (including X's and O's, on top of recruiting, motivating, etc.) than most Kansas fans will give him credit for. I also think it is very clear that Coach Cal knew absolutely nothing about Camby's involvement with agents while at UMass, nor was he aware of Rose's academic failures prior to his matriculation at Memphis (Rose was cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse to play, and yet the NCAA declared him retroactively ineligible). These two situations are the basis for Calipari's vacated Final Fours. No evidence--mind you, NONE--has ever been produced that shows Cal had any knowledge of the situations. That's a powerful statement. At Kansas, even Coach Self has had brushes with situations that he had no control over which could have cost Kansas: Darrell Arthur's situation and more recently, that of Cliff Alexander; with the former being an incident which could have caused Coach Self himself to have witnessed a vacated Final Four under his watch. Bottom line? Coach Cal is not as sleazy as we want to believe he is.

Calipari puts himself in the cross-hairs of public scrutiny because he is willing to do anything legal (i.e., within NCAA regulations) to win a recruit. Some of his tactics are innovative, while others are commonplace and he pushes them beyond where they've gone before. The involvement of World Wide Wes has also caused many people to cast a suspicious glance at him, but thus far I am not aware that any violations have been committed by or through said consultant. Nevertheless when one combines his success with recruits and the vacated Final Fours, what distills is an opinion that Calipari is a cheater despite the fact that this has not been shown to be the case.

I stop short of calling him a "good man", however, because I do not know him personally nor do I have enough information about him from an objective standpoint to make that assertion. Even so, I agree with your final analysis: that Kentucky is "setting the pace" and "Kansas...needs to get better" at beating Coach Cal at his own game. But I apologize neither for my distaste of Kentucky nor for the inner sense of satisfaction I get when KY loses out on a recruit. I certainly dont leap for joy whenever blue-chippers announce commitments to the Wildcats.

Benz Junque 6 years, 7 months ago

A hater? No, it's called wanting the other teams that Kansas will compete against to make the Final Four to not land elite recruits. I don't worry about Mississippi State in the tourney. I worry about Kentucky in the tourney.

Adam Tyler 6 years, 7 months ago

Gaining joy from someone elses loss is absolutely being a hater.

Are there other ways people can be deemed "haters"? Absolutely.

I'm not saying people are wrong for doing this. I do this too. Because my HATRED for Kentucky is unrivaled by any other program at this point.

RJ King 6 years, 7 months ago

For some, it's not about hating Kentucky and gaining joy from their loss.

It's about rooting for a more level playing field in college basketball. It's the joy of a small victory for the college game.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 7 months ago

Actively rooting for someone else to fail is the very definition of a hater.

RJ King 6 years, 7 months ago

Aaron, I agree with you 98% of the time. But for me, this isn't hating. I don't root specifically for Kentucky to miss on recruits.

I DO applaud a more level playing field in college basketball, and celebrate an elite recruit choosing a random, unexpected, or home state school as a small victory for the college game. (And in a bit of hypocrisy . . . especially if it's KU.)

Mike Riches 6 years, 7 months ago

Totally fair, especially since we're likely to play Kentucky next year as part of the Big 12/SEC challenge.

Erich Hartmann 6 years, 7 months ago

I think we can say, even with BOTH barrels loaded (2 platoons, or 2 x top10 teams on 1 roster), KY can still be beat. Wisc did it. NDame almost did it.

Wildcat Hater? YES, I HATE KSU WILDCATS and their stupid punk fans, embarrassing the State of Ks on natl TV.

Personally, I find Calipari quite entertaining a persona. His comments all season long describing his team were spot on, if not slightly "manufactured" or a bit dramatic...but then, that's just Cal's personality. I like it.

Michael Sillman 6 years, 7 months ago

I found it amusing that this guy felt the need to deny the early report of where he was going just to build suspense for his staged announcement. This type of self-aggrandizing player is not someone that I really want to see play in Allen.

Joe Joseph 6 years, 7 months ago

That's the only thing that bothers me about these recruits. I have no problem with kids taking their time to make a decision. It's the elaborate hat ceremonies, press conferences, and drama-inducing where-is-he-gonna-go-nobody-knows stuff that bothers me.

Most (all?) of that can be blamed on the media and the need for that media coverage that's created by the fans who follow it so closely. But still. Mad respect to the recruits who just announce it, sign some papers, and celebrate with some friends and family at a private ceremony. (Ya know, like 99% of athletes who sign with collegiate teams.)

Benz Junque 6 years, 7 months ago

"Most all of that can be blamed on the media" But still, I am going to go ahead and hold it against the kids (at least the ones that don't choose Kansas).

Benz Junque 6 years, 7 months ago

Just stop. I am sorry that you haven't had a big moment in your life worthy of national media coverage. It doesn't mean that these kids should be looked down upon for wanting to enjoy a big moment in their lives.

Caden Ford 6 years, 7 months ago

Walker is entering the draft. Just saw a report about it.

Steve Corder 6 years, 7 months ago

How many Rival top 20, out of high school, were on the Wisconsin team? The Michigan State team? The list is noteworthy.

The real question is having an "eye" for talent (jettison all this hype of "high motor, runs the floor, athletic") with kids that are competitors and smart on the floor and mixing them into a team.

My opinion on Newman was he wanted playing time and there was no automatic PT at the KU point. M State was the safe play here. Playing for for a top program like KU or UK meant competing against the best in high pressure environments.

Michael Sillman 6 years, 7 months ago

In regards to a player announcing his choice, I really liked how Zimmerman did it.

No muss, no fuss.

That's a kid that I will be able to root for even when he's playing at UNLV.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 7 months ago

That's because Zimmerman let his mom do the talking for him and she is one crazy woman.

Waylon Cook 6 years, 7 months ago

She is a complete loon. She was fighting with Jerry Parrish on twitter earlier. Must be a Nevada parent thing?(Padgett)

Erich Hartmann 6 years, 7 months ago

Zimmerman has NO motor, and is nuthin but a 7ft tall pillsbury dough-boy...SOFT!!!! He wouldnt come to KS to get yelled at by Andrea Hudy and Bill Self if his life depended on him. He is the classic recruit that puts marquis names on his "list", but its all hype. Mom is a hottie, but is a crazy woman as well, from many accounts...

Mark Winter 6 years, 7 months ago

2 girls pregnant in Mississippi and Mama said you're staying home son, er soon to be daddy. Hope it works out for you.l. No loss Jayhawks