Thursday, April 23, 2015

KU basketball recruiting notebook: Newman undecided

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Not so fast

Malik Newman, a 6-foot-3 senior from Callaway High in Jackson, Mississippi, says he has not chosen Mississippi State as reported by cbssports.com.

“Right now I’m down to my final four schools — Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Kansas and Kentucky,” Newman told the Clarion-Ledger, which will livestream his announcement at noon Friday.

Diallo update: St. John’s coach Chris Mullin met with Cheick Diallo, a 6-9 senior from Our Savior New American in Centereach, New York, Wednesday after meeting with him Saturday, the Louisville Courier-Journal reported. Diallo is likely to announce for either KU, St. John’s, Kentucky, Iowa State or Pitt next week.

Ranking talk: Rivals.com issued its final rankings of players in the Class of 2015 Wednesday. KU’s Bragg, who was ranked 15th, dropped to No. 21. KU target Jaylen Brown dropped from No. 2 to 3; Brandon Ingram jumped from No. 19 to No. 4; Diallo improved from No. 7 to 5; Newman dropped from 3 to 8. Thon Maker dropped from 5 to 9.

Salesmen: USA Today asked several top prep players to give their best sales pitch to Malik Newman. Here's one from Carlton Bragg, at http://ljw.bz/1DCUunn.

From Bragg to Newman: “OK, Malik I’ve been texting you all day anyway but check it out our fan base is crazy, we’re going to Europe in the preseason and how many teams can say that? Plus, we’ve got coach Self, the best coach in the country, and he lets you play your game and be you on the court. Oh and the girls! We’ve got all the girls you could want! And what’s better than playing at the Fieldhouse? I mean c’mon now!”

Comments

Mike Riches 6 years, 9 months ago

Gwangju, South Korea - A beautiful city in the heart of Eastern Europe...waaaay Eastern Europe :)

I'm a little surprised that the WUG haven't played a bigger role in recruiting this year. It seems like the opportunity to go on a really nice, extended trip, to have unlimited practice time for a stretch this summer, and perhaps most importantly to represent one's country would be a huge draw, yet the two players we seem to be closest to getting (although that seems to change daily) aren't even eligible to play for Team USA (Diallo and Maker).

I'm glad Bragg understands that's a big deal...

Joe Ross 6 years, 9 months ago

I got that too.

He'll be doing the "Carlton" to Gangnam Style.

Joe Ross 6 years, 9 months ago

Are. You. Kidding. Me?

A video exists for Carlton doing Gangnam Style??? Total shot in the dark!

Rodney Crain 6 years, 9 months ago

The WUG is not even that important to Team USA Basketball. I think playing in one of the summer camps might have more appeal for players actually.

By having a college team play, Team USA does not have to take care of expenses either. Take into account when the games will be televised live and its a cool experience for us, but I am not sure if it will generate much excitment over here. I am happy we are going but not sure it will push any recruit towards us.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 9 months ago

I tend to agree with you on this one. When they announced last year that our team would represent Team USA at the World University Games, that was the first time I'd ever heard of the World University Games.

Mike Riches 6 years, 9 months ago

I agree that the WUG are not important to Team USA Basketball, or to the American public in general. I had never heard of them before last year, although I'm certainly excited to watch this year. But as far as college basketball teams, we are the only ones that have that opportunity, and the only team to have the advantages I mentioned earlier. I don't know, maybe unlimited practice time sounds better to fans than it does to players (I guess it could be a negative for some players) but if I'm an incoming freshman looking to jump to the NBA, I would be excited about spending that extra time with my new teammates and coaching staff and developing my game at a higher level before the season even starts. Imagine if KO had had that last summer...would the first half of the season have been different for him? Might that have positively impacted his draft position? Who knows really, but I just would think all those things would be an nice advantage in recruiting...but maybe I'm wrong...

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 9 months ago

This isn't a FIBA sanctioned event. The WUG are sanctioned by International Sports University Federation (FISU, because the original name is in French) and they have they're own rules and bylaws for being eligible to compete in the WUG.

Mark Lindrud 6 years, 9 months ago

The approach I would take is that you get to go to another country after you graduate high school. I am not saying it matters, but any little thing that can appeal to a kid I would do it. Use all the tools you can, and hope for the best.

Holly Pearle 6 years, 9 months ago

I like your approach. That's what we did when my daughter graduated high school. Some of these kids might not ever get that opportunity again although it may be just as likely that they end up playing basketball in Europe after college.

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 9 months ago

Rodney, I VERY strongly disagree! Anytime you put on a uniform and represent the United States of America, it is indeed a very big deal. If Kansas does well, especially if we win, we will proudly add that accomplishment to our illustrious history.

I can not begin to express the frustration and disappointment with some of these US HS players that have not jumped at the chance to represent Kansas and the United States of America.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 9 months ago

You just clarified my point, no one is jumping at this chance because it is not that important of a international tournament. It is a nice honor for us, it will be a wonderful experience for those that attend, but just do not see see how this helps us with recruiting.

Adam Tyler 6 years, 9 months ago

I believe you are generalizing every prospect when saying it is not that important of a tournament.

We do not know what others value. Some may have always wanted to represent Team USA, but never had the opportunity. Others may feel it is unnecessary to their experience. But we should not demean its value to any individual.

Each player is unique and values different experiences in life.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 9 months ago

Considering no one, I repeat no one has joined Bragg so far, I am fine with what you consider a generalizing point. We have known for about 9 months we are going, we have one single recruit. Means out of an estimated 900 possible recruits (2.5 per school average and transfers) .001 has chosen KU, or out of 45 recruits (soft-hard actual offers) .022 has chosen KU so far.

I think I am safe!

Rodney Crain 6 years, 9 months ago

Thank you Brett for a mostly respectful reply. I disagree with most of your pst however.

It is not important because it is not an important tournament in World Basketball. It decides nothing, does not include all nations, and for many years TEAM USA has not sent its best team. It has University in the name of the tournament too, so it is not exactly a international type tournament as a international university one. Strike one.

Suzi is reaching, since we have established that the tournament does not really mean anything, sending a team is a formality. It is a nice trip and experience you cannot treat this tournament as important if nobody else does. Do you really think the TEAM USA BB organization, which is doing an outstanding job, would send a college team if this was an important tournament? No they would not. Since we won Worlds, we are set for the Olympics. The Worlds and the Olympics are the two Biggies. Strike two.

Now you get off tangent and off article and off of my point. So the diatribe of your post is that you are unhappy with the NCAA. You have no argument from me on this but how in the world did this end up in a reply to the importance of the WUG to recruits? ball one

Finally you declare that anyone who has an opinion on recruiting, using a label as geru, should rethink how they spend their time. Well that certainly is an opinion, which everyone, or anyone gets to make on this site. It is kind of a double standard though isn't it? If you can make a statement like that, and you can, why should"t anyone else post a comment of their own opinion on any subject? I think they can. Strike 3.

As my friends say, Thanks for playing but I think your out. Of course that is just my humble opinion...

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 9 months ago

Anytime anyone represents the USA in anything abroad is a very big deal.

Joe Ross 6 years, 9 months ago

Suzi, curious about your opinion.

Are the WUGs a "big deal" from a fan standpoint, or from a player standpoint, or both? (This question is necessary to answer in determining any potential benefit in recruiting undeclared players.) And is one a bigger deal than the other? Do the recruits see it the same as we do in terms of the games being a recruiting advantage?

Holly Pearle 6 years, 9 months ago

Considering that basketball is an American game, I don't see how he is over generalizing. This is a lower level international tournament, Andrew Wiggins is skipping this tournament to play for the Canadian national team. I'm sure to the kids that are playing it is important to represent USA and I'm sure we will get the other team's best effort.

I do like this statement Adam: "Each player is unique and values different experiences in life".

Adam Tyler 6 years, 9 months ago

I agree that it is a lower level tournament in comparison to others. But tell me you wouldn't be thrilled to represent the United States on an international level, regardless of circumstances. I would, and I would bet many other college athletes would too. Who are we to say that this means nothing, when it could mean much more than we possibly could know.

Basketball is absolutely an international game. That is an undeniable fact. It is played on every continent, excluding Antarctica. That is the beauty of this great sport. It's global. It brings together people from various cultures and backgrounds and unites them using a ball and hoop.

Andrew Wiggins was not able to play in these games due to him being a professional. He had no choice.

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 9 months ago

I would be willing to bet that someone has set up a hoop and a backboard at one time or another even in Antarctica. Soccer is an international game but basketball is an American game played internationally.

Like Holly, I like your statement, "Each player is unique and values different experiences in life". So when you say "tell me you wouldn't be thrilled to represent the United States on an international level regardless of circumstance", for me and for you, the answer is obvious but I would say you are overgeneralizing when you apply that to the general population. Remember "each player is unique...".

Honestly, we are entering the quibbling zone. I don't think we really disagree very much, it's just in to the degree in which any differences apply.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 9 months ago

Marius I really like your post.

Be careful using logic and his own words might get a swift reprimand from Adam though.

David Lara 6 years, 9 months ago

Rodney you need to stop. You just lost credibility for your overgeneralization and now you are trying to dogpile on someone else for the same thing? I think Adam provides a much more credible generalization for how an American should feel about representing their country than yours on how a basketball recruit should feel about it.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 9 months ago

Hi David, I think you are missing the point. The WUG is not a big deal. Thus it is not a big draw for a recruit, especially since no one is coming here because of it. Which was my original post btw.

I do not think I have lost credibility considering the other posters on this thread that are agreeing with me. I am not alone on my point.

Adam proved nothing, he does not know either. He gets his opinion so do I, so do you.

David if you could please provide your link to the rules on how someone can post on here it might be helpful for everyone to know what you think you control and don't on here. Otherwise if I am respectful with my reply why should I stop just because you do not agree with what I am saying? We are in a comments section, a place to discuss a topic or idea. This is not an agree with everyone section. I, like you, decide what I reply to, when and why.

Keep in mind David these are the University games, not the World Championships. University is the key word, which is why they put it second I think. I like that we are going, it should be a cool deal for everyone going, but it is not going to be a draw for a recruit.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 9 months ago

A lot of the elite level recruits have represented USA Basketball at different international events throughout HS during the or summers or have at least tried out for USA Basketball so this wouldn't be a first time experience for some of these kids.

Holly Pearle 6 years, 9 months ago

Not totally disagreeing Rodney but being televised nationally has to have some appeal. Plus, this will really help Kansas next year.

As for pushing any recruit, unfortunately, I do agree with you.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 9 months ago

My take is that they will be televised on a secondary sports channel from 1am to 8am ct. Not sure how much exposure that is going to be. The trip to Maui is nice, everyone should go to Hawaii at least once.

I think when it comes to making a decision where to play, the pre conference trips are way down the list on the decision tree for a recruit.

Holly Pearle 6 years, 9 months ago

Wow... Didn't realize the hours. I will record the games but the average individual will probably only get a few clips watching SportsCenter. The experience will still be good but to a top level recruit, it's not going to make much difference in selecting where they play college ball.

Benz Junque 6 years, 9 months ago

People forget that all of these kids have been competing internationally already. Newman competed on the Team USA U17 World Championships in Dubai last year.

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 9 months ago

You're right but having the chance to represent both the USA and your University should make this opportunity special.

Oh boy...

If we miss on Diallo, looks very possible, our class will include one top 100 ranked player, #21, and 3 other players either transfers or top 200/300 ranked players.

Outstanding.

I am not sure how to take Diallo now, after the KY visit he thanks all the teams for their time and consideration which sounds like I am done with visits and am deciding on where to go. Wed. he is meeting with Mullin again. Either Mullin was trying the hard sale because he was going to lose Diallo, or they were meeting to tie together the details one last time before he commits for St. Johns. I really hope it is not the latter but it looks that way.

Oh boy

Holly Pearle 6 years, 9 months ago

If we land Diallo, I think this team will have the right mix of experience and talent to be a legitimate threat in next year's NCAA tournament. I think if we totally miss from getting any other bigs, then winning next year's conference championship will be the most important challenge.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 9 months ago

I would add to that Holly a BIG with experience and I think we have the making of a much better team.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 9 months ago

Brett I disagree. Self said he was going to soften up the schedule a bit. ;))

Dee Shaw 6 years, 9 months ago

Glad to see Carlton Braggs sales pitch to Malik Newman. He really hit the key issues on attending college at Kansas. The only other just minor topic he forgot to mention was getting an education. It might help some day having an education. Oh I forgot, when your a one semester and done student I guess that's your priorities.

Don Burgundy 6 years, 9 months ago

It was obviously a joke. Good lord can these kids have just a teeny bit of fun with each other without people acting so high and mighty?

Joseph Bullock 6 years, 9 months ago

It is always important to represent your Country! The fact that we have not gotten commitments from more American Born players, are- A: There is always its if competition for those top tier players, and no team gets all of them. B: We only had 4 Scholarships available, and we are recruiting '2', non American Born players, extreme hard, with only 3 Scharships left! C: Our recruiting is not over yet, so let's just let things play out, and see who we end up getting! D: Most of the top tier recruits ultimate goal is not playing overseas. It is first, making it to the NBA, and second, winning a National Championship!

Tony Bandle 6 years, 9 months ago

Priority list for 19 year old OADs:

1] Playing Time.

2] Coach.

3] "The Show".

4] Girls.

5] Girls.

6] Tats.

Actually, thinking back to my 19 year old days #'s 4 & 5 were waaaaaay ahead of anything else.I think tatoos are cool..I'm just too chicken to get one. Even my 93 year old Dad has one he got at 80!!!

[Posted for humorous use only] :)

Ben Simonett 6 years, 9 months ago

where's alcohol/marijuana ?

thats gotta be top 6

Ben Simonett 6 years, 9 months ago

what is? that testosterone laden, adolescent males have an high level of sexual desire and curiosity to experiment with substances? I'm pretty sure that is a scientific fact.

Tom Jones 6 years, 9 months ago

True. Law of averages says some of em would have "boys" on that list.

Adam Tyler 6 years, 9 months ago

I'm sorry you are inconsiderate of others views and desires.

Sounds like a personal problem.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 9 months ago

Careful Tony, Adam T will think you are generalizing...

Randy Glenn 6 years, 9 months ago

Don`t forget to throw in a lil trip to Hawaii !!!!

Luca Rossi 6 years, 9 months ago

What about the trip to Maui??? I'd think that would be a huge selling point for this year's recruits too. Can't forget about the new dorms as well. Its going to be an awesome year to be a Jayhawk.

Gerry Butler 6 years, 9 months ago

not even sure why people continue to post about Newman, oh sure he says he still isn't decided on where he is committing- - - - -I mean come on, you know it, I know it, we all know it, unless you have been under a rock for about the last two weeks. I'm not holding it against him, that's his decision but if anyone thought even in the slightest he was coming here I'd hay to just say REALLY? if not Mississippi st, then it would be Kentucky, we are not even in the dream. so quit wasting time on him and what he is doing and move on, that's just like Ingram, same scenario, your not pulling him out of Carolina, ya he loves KU and the staff but having said that, he is a done deal for Duke, Diallo? who knows, not getting a good feel. for the longest time thought we had him, now with Mullen making the 2nd visit surposedly after he was surpose to be done? who knows. I think good chance we end up with Tyrone Outlaw, but we need a big in the worst way. if we lose out on Diallo then its probably take our chances with the 7ft Greek foreign kid, or the 6ft 10 out of charlotte. time to bring in the mythical power of the phog and the Jayhawk ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Kendall Harris 6 years, 9 months ago

You talk about living under a rock, but the 6'10" (actually 6'11") transfer from Charlotte, Michael Thorne, committed to Illinois late last week. Jaylen Brown would be a great player to have but what has having a hyper-athletic wing done for us the past two years come tournament time? Newman? I'd rather not have him anyway. He's the definition of a black hole/hero baller on the court. Thon Maker wants to play as a wing. Pass. Diallo is SO important to what we want to see from this team next year. He knows exactly how to use his athleticism and he works hard. My message to Cheick? You will be rewarded beyond your wildest dreams for the effort you give on the court if you come to KU. Bill will get you to the league, and in the meantime, you will become an instant fan favorite in the greatest arena in college basketball. Are you 100% confident that a first year head coach at a school like St. Johns will offer you the same opportunities? If we miss on Cheick, I agree with you Gerry, we should shoot for the 7ft Greek.

Tom Jones 6 years, 9 months ago

He's not talking about Thorne. He's talking about Ebuka Izundu.

Adam Tyler 6 years, 9 months ago

Izundu had a huge jump in the rankings, according to 247 sports.

He is now in the Top 70. And a 4 star recruit.

Could be a great pickup.

Robert Brock 6 years, 9 months ago

Newman is not considering Kansas. Stop bringing us stories about Malik Newman!

Do some research and figure out what Coach Self will do after the Hawks whiff on all the top prospects. KU has three available scholarships; who is out there - including transfers - that would like to join the team?

Allison Steen 6 years, 9 months ago

Well he still has us on our list so the guys need to write about it. Sure, we have basically zero chance of getting him but they still should be writing about it

Ryan Zimmerman 6 years, 9 months ago

IDK how it can be reported that Newman is "undecided" when he's going to announce tomorrow. He knows where he's going. And it's MSU. I'm afraid it's going to be one of those years where we have leftover scholarships and we give it to a walk on... which is sad we can't fill it. From what I understand, HCBS hasn't offered Georgios Papagiannis a scholarship. I assume it's because if he would accept it, Diallo and Maker head elsewhere and they are higher on our list than Georgios is. We need one of these 3 guys... Diallo first and if he announces, we need to offer this kid something. Maker looks good, but i'm nervous about his PT and eligibility. I'd take a hard look at Izundu also. Kid is 6' 10. Project, but could be a late add if he's available

Gerry Butler 6 years, 9 months ago

UH you might wanna hold up the Kendall on talking about people living under a rock there sparky, I WASN'T EVEN TALKING about Thorne I knew that long ago thanks. you must be the one who is thought thanks again. there is another kid that's out of Charlotte that they talked to just a couple of days ago so you might want to get the facts straight before you make such intelligent remarks have a great day

Adam Tyler 6 years, 9 months ago

Anton Grady could be another transfer possibility.

5th year transfer from Cleveland State has said KU reached out to him. As well as Iowa State, NC State, Wichita State, Pitt, Xavier, and a few others.

Averaged 14 and 8 last season and has been around those numbers each of the last 3 years as well. Is 6'9 230 lbs.

Tyler Capone 6 years, 9 months ago

Lost Paschall to Nova too...seems like we can't get transfers this year either lol

Tom Jones 6 years, 9 months ago

Maker cut KU from his list, by the way.

Which is fine. He's not a rim protector and I have a feeling his eligibility situation could be a nightmare.

Adam Tyler 6 years, 9 months ago

Absolutely agree.

KU doesn't need the NCAA on us two years in a row.

Jaston Archie 6 years, 9 months ago

I chose to retract my original comment, because it was rather inappropriate and salty.

Adam Tyler 6 years, 9 months ago

Aww man. Now I'm dying to know!

Can you at least give a brief, unsalty, semi-censored description of your thoughts?

Jaston Archie 6 years, 9 months ago

No I can't, it was really inappropriate. I will just say that there are very skinny, starving children in Africa, so everyone please donate to that wonderful cause. Some are even very tall and skinny and have a delusional aspiration to be Kevin Durant

Lance Cheney 6 years, 9 months ago

So he's deciding between playing for the Indiana football team or the Kentucky basketball team?

Alan Williams 6 years, 9 months ago

Thon Maker has said on twitter that Facebook page is a fake page. It is not ran by him.

Rob Bedford III 6 years, 9 months ago

Kentucky will end up adding Maker, Diallo and Newman.

Joe Ross 6 years, 9 months ago

Where is Kansas recruiting? And does it change based on whether or not we land Diallo?

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 9 months ago

Diallo is potentially the difference between KU being a serious national title threat and just being a good team like this past season.

Go back 2 months right before the Cliff Alexander situation happened and you'll see why KU's recruiting class hasn't been elite this year. Before the NCAA investigation happened, Cliff was leaning very strongly towards coming back, there's quotes from Cliff himself on the issue out there. At this time when KU's recruiting targets had already taken their visits, KU was projected to have 2 scholarship openings (Bragg committed back in October) and minimal available minutes in the front court. It was not an appealing situation to the OAD bigs and they committed elsewhere.

On the wing, Kelly Oubre was assumed gone pretty much from Christmas on. Even with Kelly and Cliff on the team, Svi was still considered the best NBA prospect and was always targeted as a big time contributor in 2015-16 and when Brannen Greene confirmed he wasn't going to transfer out like some assumed he would, that ended any real chance of KU landing Jaylen Brown or Brandon Ingram. Because Svi is projected to be a lottery pick in the 2016 NBA, KU has been putting more effort into recruiting a wing who can contribute in 2016-17 after Svi is presumed to leave.

As far as the backcourt, KU wasn't projected to lose anybody once it became obvious Selden hadn't improved enough to leave so KU was never considered a serious threat to land a top level guard in this class.

So basically before the Cliff Alexander situation, KU wasn't projected to have any starters minutes available and basically back up minutes in the front court. After the Cliff situation, KU had potential starters minutes available in the front court, but KU was behind in recruiting because it was an unexpected situation that changed KU's recruiting philosophy for 2015 on the fly. 2016 has always been targeted as the more important recruiting class because KU is going to lose Ellis, Traylor, and Mickelson to graduation and is expected to lose Svi to the draft.

Ben Simonett 6 years, 9 months ago

I agree with Diallo being the main factor in the team having a potentially excellent season next year. I would add though that those last 2 remaining scholarships are going to be a huge factor for the program to sustain top performance 3-4 years from now.

If they end going to some more milton doyles/merv lydseys. They'll most likely transer(aka forced out due to potential better options) in the future. Thats gonna result in the necessity of another 5+ man class down the road, which means another young team which Self's system isnt the best for. The program really lucked out with the fact that the last time they had to recruit a class like that, they landed two of the top 3 draft picks. talent like that helped to overcome the inexperience in the system, But its unrealistic to think that'll happen again.

Imagine how bad the '13-'14 season would have been if Wiggins and Embiid played like the majority 5 star freshman......ugly!

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 9 months ago

You keep assuming KU is going to end up with a Milton Doyle/Merv Lindsey/Royce Woolridge type who will end up transferring out. KU's also filled those spots with guys who did become contributors like Landen Lucas/Kevin Young/Brady Morningstar/Tyrel Reed. It's not a guarantee that someone KU signs someone who never contributes, and yes it's not a guarantee that KU ends up with a someone who contributes significantly either. Your line of thinking is flawed because you assuming something will happen when there's only about a 50% chance of you're opinion playing out.

IMHO -

In answer to you question I think Coach Self has to review his recruiting approach regardless.

He has to start with a review of his assistants and whether they are properly accessing a recruits interest and their ability to gain commitments earlier in the process. We appear to think we are very close with certain recruits but then end up losing to teams we used to regularly win against. I do not think anyone would say on this date we have reloaded. We are still hunting for ammunition right now very late in the process again. 3rd year now this has happened. KY, Duke, AZ, MSU, LSU, many others are not in our position and have lost just as many or more players.

I would also hope he would review a wider target field to ensure he has a player or two signed before the April signing period. Thinking this is out of our control is a myth. If you look at just the top 70 schools most of them had 2+ players commited/signed before the tourney started.

Considering what we offer now; from where they lay their head, to where they play, who they play, and adding that so many of our games are on national/regional TV, it is difficult to understand why we are struggling so much so late in the process.

Something seems amiss. When your sales pictch does not result in the results you expect you have to review the process to ensure you are lined up correctly with your target audience. Your offer has to be compelling to the players who can help you acheive your programs results. If you have all the pieces to win and are still losing to your competition, it is at the execution level that you need to focus in on.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 9 months ago

Thanks Brett, I appreciate your respectful reply.

I understand what you are doing.

It's another defense mechanism reply but this is better than being called names, so I will accept it with a smile. When you see a change in behavior, even sarcasm, it is a step in the right direction. It will take time but there is hope here.

Thank you again for your willingness to change.

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 9 months ago

Geezzz Rodney.....You post has left me speechles but feel a need to say something .....something. That's all I can say.

Tom Jones 6 years, 9 months ago

Let's face it. The guy clearly doesn't know what he's doing. He's just not a good recruiter.

Maybe RC can give him a call and share some pointers...

Brian Wilson 6 years, 9 months ago

First, some tranfers that will be eligible to play next year have not even declared. But, there are quite a few players waiting for the recruiting list to clear to see which schools will come recruiting. Here is the list of both 2015 recruits and transfer players that I have made that appear to be waiting to see what happens:

Undecided HS Centers - Rank, Name, Height and Weight
All of which are worth having as a long term prospect and rim protector.

10 Georgios Papagiannis 7-1 250
20 Mamadou Amare C 7-0 210 - this guy has mysteriously vanished.
28 Torrie Thomas C 6-10 220
29 Tanner Breazile C 6-8 210
31 Levi Cook C 6-10 305
34 Greyson Smallwood C 6-11 200
35 Jimbo Lull C 6-11 235 - even the youtube tape on this guy doesn't look terrible

Undecided HS Power Forwards - Rank, Name, Height and Weight
3 Cheick Diallo PF 6-9 225 - please come to KU!!!
29 Shawntrez Davis PF 6-8 205
30 Chris Baldwin PF 6-7 230
46 Andre Adams PF 6-9 220 - underated, strong, blocks shots, scores,
49 Nnamdi Okongwu PF 6-9 215 - might also be a good addition.
55 Chris Moody PF 6-7 215
59 Admir Radoncic PF 6-7 230
61 Zavier Harris PF 6-8 220

Undecided Transfers eligible to play next year:
The rating is from High School. Some of these guys have really improved

3 PF Braeden Anderson RS JR 6-9 235 Yes Fresno State
2 PF Keith Armstrong RS SR 6-7 240 Yes East Carolina
2 PF James Bourne RS SR 6-8 240 Yes Winthrop
2 PF Ben Dickinson RS SR 6-9 223 Yes UNC Greensboro
2 PF Mark Tollefsen RS SR 6-8 210 Yes San Francisco
2 PF Aubrey Williams RS JR 6-7 215 Yes Toledo

And this doesn't even include the UK, Asian, and Canadian Kids. I am sure that Bill has a back up list in his pocket!

Brian Wilson 6 years, 9 months ago

True, you are correct Rodney.....Diallo please come to KU!

But some of these Seniors may bring more talent and experience than one thinks. Also, look at the tape of Andre Adams on youtube.this kid is big, tough, and can play and protect the rim. My point is to have hope. If we miss Cheick, there is some talent out there to be had as some talented kids get overlooked just because they can't get around to all the camps.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 9 months ago

Thanks Brian. I agree Please CD come on down, you will start and be key player for us. A key transfer or two would be great too!

Joseph Bullock 6 years, 9 months ago

Great post Tony B! I was going to correct you, and put girls, first, but without big minutes of playing time, they won't get the girls, soooooo! LOL

Adam James 6 years, 9 months ago

No one is talking about Ingram, but he is the major steal in this class. He can defend all positions and score from anywhere on the court. He has the potential to be a huge factor at both ends of the floor. I'm dreaming for a Diallo and Ingram package.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 9 months ago

I would love this, but I will take one at this point and be thrilled!

Joe Ross 6 years, 9 months ago

To the point of the article, i.e., Malik Newman's being undeclared and undecided, I accept two things at a minimum:

1. He may not officially be decided, and
  2. Whether he is secretly decided or not, none of us knows.

Having said that, and looking at the lay of the land on the Newman recruitment, one would have to reasonably assume that with the other schools in play, Kansas is probably on the outside looking in. We are recruiting against home schools in a couple of cases and against KY for Newman's services (which not only has a bigger reputation for landing his kind of talent, but is also geographically much closer to home).

Would I love Newman? Sure. Who wouldn't. All things being equal however, Newman committing to Kansas seems like a long-shot to me.

Bernard Gregory 6 years, 9 months ago

It's shameful that most of you put so much pressure on these kids based on what their ranking is or what they have done against guys their own age and make these statements that if we get this person we will win the national championship. That's why most never live up to the expectations and struggle when competing against more polished players.