Wednesday, April 22, 2015

KU target Newman says he’ll announce on Friday

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University recruiting target Malik Newman, a 6-foot-3 senior shooting guard from Callaway High in Jackson, Mississippi, will reveal his college choice on Friday, Newman said Tuesday.

“Friday at 12 (noon, Central time) tune in to see where I’ll be attending school next year!” Newman wrote on Twitter.

The announcement will be live-streamed at clarionledger.com.

Newman, a McDonald’s All-American who is ranked No. 3 nationally by Rivals.com, has a list of Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi State, LSU, Mississippi and North Carolina State.

“I think it’s going to come down to Kentucky or Mississippi State. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t Mississippi State (his dad’s alma mater),” ESPN’s Paul Biancardi said Tuesday on ESPNU’s hour-long recruiting special.

Diallo undecided: Cheick Diallo, a 6-9 senior from Our Savior New American High in Centereach, New York, on Monday night told Biancardi he’d like to announce his college choice “early next week.”

Ingram announcing Monday: Brandon Ingram, a 6-8 senior forward from Kinston (North Carolina) High, who is ranked No. 19 by Rivals.com, said on the recruiting show that he hopes to announce Monday.

Ingram is considering KU, Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State, Kentucky and UCLA.

“I think he’ll stay in state,” ESPN’s Biancardi said.

Mack update: A KU assistant on Tuesday visited former VCU commit Tevin Mack, a 6-6 senior small forward from Dreher High in Columbia, South Carolina, who is ranked No. 78 by Rivals.com.

Mack chose VCU over Clemson, South Carolina, Georgia and UConn. Texas, which is now led by former VCU coach Shaka Smart, has been added to his new list of schools.

Schedule: KU’s 2015-16 nonconference hoops schedule should be out soon, KU officials said Tuesday. The Jayhawks will play a Jan. 30 Big 12/SEC Challenge game against a yet-to-be-determined opponent at home, thus will not play the early-January CBS game that has delayed KU’s opening of the Big 12 season by a week the past few years. KU plays Michigan State in the Champions Classic in Chicago, travels to the Maui Invitational with a field of Indiana, UCLA, St. John’s, UNLV, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest and Chaminade and travels to San Diego State.

Comments

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 1 month ago

Newman .... ? What does he have to do with Kansas basketball?

If Kansas signs Diallo and especially the Diallo/Brown combination, it could be an fun and expensive year following the Hawks around. Korea/Chicago/Maui/San Diego/Austin/Ft. Worth/Lubbock/Waco/Norman/Stillwater, Lawrence ....then OKC/Chicago again/Houston (NCAA Tournament).

It's all becoming so clear that a blind person could see it in the dark. Ellis, Diallo, Brown, and Mykailiuk will all end up as NCAA lottery picks. All-American Perry Ellis will step up to lead Kansas to the 2016 National Championship!

Rodney Crain 5 years, 1 month ago

Now that is the best positive spin post I have seen on this site in a long time.

Well Done Suzi! Seriously that is how you do it!

John Strayer 5 years, 1 month ago

That's a big "if"...statements like mentioned above do not give me any warm fuzzies...I think KU misses on Diallo...

"Biancardi said the No. 7-rated Diallo, who has a list of KU, St. John’s, Kentucky, Iowa State and Pitt, was “confused. He’s a little bit frustrated with the process. He really doesn’t know where he wants to go. If I were a betting man I think he stays close to home,” Biancardi said, predicting St. John’s will land Diallo."

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm sure it is confusing for him. Bill Self is very good with clearing up a confused mind by reducing things to simple common denominators. In the case of Diallo, he points out

1. his/Kansas long record for developing pros,

2. the Kansas opportunity for significant PT for THE elite collegiate program, which commenced operations with Dr. Naismith,

3. living conditions in latest state of the art environment,

4. A competitive schedule with trips to Korea, Chicago, San Diego, Maui ...and Houston for the NC,

5. veteran teammates ready to welcome him into the Kansas family. Guys like Perry Ellis, Frank Mason, Wayne Selden, Devonte Graham, etc.

6. A supportive fan base that has lonnng streak of consecutive 16,300 sell outs.

7. etc, etc

His confusion will subside when he embraces The Phog.

Aaron Paisley 5 years, 1 month ago

Diallo doesn't get to go to Korea, that's been repeated ad naseum Suzi.

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 1 month ago

I did not say he was going to go to Korea.

Aaron Paisley 5 years, 1 month ago

In the case of Diallo, he points out

1. A competitive schedule with trips to Korea, Chicago, San Diego, Maui ...and Houston for the NC,

Yeah you did Suzi.

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 1 month ago

I don't see anywhere in that sentence that says Diallo would be going. The team has a competitive schedule which stands alone. No I did not.

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 1 month ago

Does this statement show up on anybody else's computer?

Unless I somehow received the only version of your reply to why HCBS is very good with clearing up a confused mind by reducing things to simple common denominators. In the case of Diallo, he points out..."

Benz Junque 5 years, 1 month ago

Odds that Cheick Diallo knows who Dr Naismith is or what he did? 1%

Odds that it makes any difference to him at all? 0%

Aaron Paisley 5 years, 1 month ago

Rodney, since you've been going on and on about how KU is only major school have only one player signed so far, answer a question for me. How many players does North Carolina have signed and where are they ranked?

Newman will either be Kentucky or Miss. St and I'm leaning towards MSU.

Diallo will end up in Lawrence.

Ingram will end up at Duke.

Tevin Mack ends up following Smart to Texas.

KU will also end up with one of the lower rated players and a transfer to round out the class.

Rodney Crain 5 years, 1 month ago

Hello Aaron thank you for a "mostly" respectful question ( I think I have said that 3/4 times over 2 weeks not sure about on and on but I digress).

The answer is they are ranked #1 or #2, but not like you might think, let me explain. You see you asked the wrong question. NC is like KU was for the 2012 season when the got all the way to the National Championship game. They will have talented SO, JU and a few seniors already on their team with very little PT available. (it is nice to have that experience right?). It is hard for them to add anyone since they are so stocked at just about every position (they think) and why in "the way too early" preseason rankings for next year they are ranked either #1 or #2 without adding much for next year. MI is a school with zero committed but they are at the max on scholarships right now. They are still trying to get Brown though so I kind of give them a pass too.

Thanks for the question and your support. You are a valued poster here so having you select me to respond is well appreciated. Glad to help anytime you need it sir.

PS- I agree with all your predictions except on Diallo, I think it is too close to call with St Johns. Just tonight a friend of mine in NY said the rumor mill is that playing so close to home for Mullins continues to gain momentum. He could really end up at any of his schools who knows at this point. He is the hardest to read. I also agree with how you have the rest of the class pegged. Without Diallo I am not sure our 4 player class will even be ranked if it falls like you have it and we miss on Diallo.

Fingers crossed for Diallo we really need him.

Thanks Again for your confidence in me.

Aaron Paisley 5 years, 1 month ago

Follow up, since you know what Carolina's projections are for next year, then I'm sure you're aware that KU is generally projected as a preseason top 5 team next year with the roster as is. So why all the worrying about only having 1 recruit so far when isn't exactly perceived to have a lot PT available? You know as well as I do that PT is the biggest issue for these kids and KU, like UNC, doesn't have much of it to offer this year. Next year's class (when KU loses Ellis, Traylor, and Mickelson at least) will open up a lot more minutes in the front court and KU should land some big name front court options. The back court will still be very crowded in 2016 so don't expect any high profile back court players until the 2017 class.

Rodney Crain 5 years, 1 month ago

Thanks Aaron for the respectful reply, if you look carefully at the cravats those "way too early" polls mentioned about the KU high ranking was the phrase, there is no way KU misses on at least signing one more top recruit for 2015. At this point that is down to Dallio. If a recruit feared beating out Hunter, Lucas or Traylor, subs as you have stated previous, I agree, and our weakness last season, not sure how much help they would be. Since we agree that we need at least a big, and really another wing or shooting guard, it seems fair to say that a team with the holes we have and the lack of scoring we showed needs much more help to be ranked in the top 10 than a talented, experienced NC team. They have 5+ quality players, to our oneish.

Add to that Greene's surgery, and that Perrys injury was worse than we knew, the doubt about our team about next years team is a bit more concerning.

Brings me back to my original concern on why we only had one player commit when so many other top teams had at least 2 before the tourney. I am questioning our approach Is all.

Brian Wilson 5 years, 1 month ago

I agree Rodney and if you look at Matt's article regarding Ellis playing the 3 spot I think the lineup looks clear. We have room for another top player and possibly a top SF/G. Maybe if Brown comes Greene redshirts.

Mason, Graham
Svi, Selden
Brown?, Ellis, Greene
Bragg, Traylor, Mickelson
Diablo?, Maker?, Lucas,

Aaron Paisley 5 years, 1 month ago

Bill Self did not say he was playing Perry big minutes at the 3. All he said was Ellis might get some minutes there. Bill Self's obligation is to win games for Kansas, not play someone at their projected NBA position. If he did that, Andrew Wiggins and Ben McLemore would've been 2's and not 3's at KU. Marcus Morris would've been a 3 and not a 4 at KU. Perry Ellis will work on his perimeter game during camps and the summer. We might see him play some 3 in Korea because of Brannen being out and Svi not on the roster there, but come November, those two will be back and Ellis will be back at the 4.

Aaron Paisley 5 years, 1 month ago

Let's look at what KU's actual situation was. Before Cliff's troubles happened, he was leaning pretty strongly towards returning which would deter a lot of big man recruits because the perception when the a lot of visits were being taken was the KU wasn't going to lose anyone in the front court. So when a lot of these recruits were taking their visits to KU, KU's projected front court rotation at the time was pretty set. When the Cliff thing happened, KU was behind on a couple of the recruits they were targeting because there was minimal PT available (this is the most important thing to a projected OAD recruit) when they were visiting when Kentucky and Duke were projected to have a lot more PT available.

As for KU's wing position, Svi was never projected to be a high impact player last year, but was still considered KU's best NBA prospect which meant that he was expected to become a big time player this upcoming season (there's multiple sites that have him projected as a late lottery pick in 2016). You also have arguably the best shooter in college basketball who will be healthy by the time practice starts in October. So again, not a lot minutes expected to be available which is why KU has been linked to transfers and JuCo's at this position more. These are guys that can/will redshirt next season and be able to step in during the 2016-17 season when Svi is gone.

As for the back court, KU was never projected to lose anybody after Thanksgiving when it became obvious he hadn't developed like everyone hoped he would. KU never had projected minutes in the backcourt so none of the high level players were predicted to come to Lawrence.

For most of recruiting (unitl mid to late Feb.), KU was only projected to have back up minutes available to incoming recruits. Carlton Bragg filled that need because he has a similar skill set to Ellis and is projected as a multi-year player. Even 1-2 years ago, this was never projected to be that strong of a class for KU because they weren't projected to have a ton of minutes available back then. 2016 has always been projected as a big time class for KU and you hear KU's name linked much more prominently to 2016 recruits than they ever were to 2015 recruits. 2015 was always projected to be a depth building class that didn't necessarily have a marquee name in it.

Tony Bandle 5 years, 1 month ago

I was lead to believe our only chance of getting Newman was if Selden declared for the draft and even then that was a long shot.

Jo Jo needs to keep texting Diallo. He knows KU, KU is a sure thing for a good experience. St.John's is a gamble.

I am a positive person but Suzi is off the charts. She may be the only "glass is totally full" poster on this site!! Keep the rainbow shining, young lady. :)

Tevin Brown 5 years, 1 month ago

If we don't get any body I think we'll still be fine.

Mark Lindrud 5 years, 1 month ago

I won't say the sky is falling if these predictions are true, but we need a rim protector, which was our biggest weakness this year because teams often drove through the lane to score impeded like going to McDonald's. 5 Guys burgers are much better by the way.

The reason we could use another quality wing is because of Greene's health, now yes some might say just plug in Svi, but he still has a ways to go because often times he looked lost. Lost was a good show, until the final episode.

If healthy, we have lots of experience and versatility, which should make for a fun upcoming season. Speaking of season's, I really have been enjoying this first season of the series, "The Flash," oh and check out Daredevil on Netflix, the one without Ben Batfleck. Have a great day.

Glen Miller 5 years, 1 month ago

remember how much of an improvement Mason made from season 1 to this year.... or Russ Rob's jump..... or almost anyone who has stayed more than a year with talent? Svi will be much improved next season. He should have been a high school Senior last year. Of course he looked a bit lost at times. I really believe that Svi will have a great year. You can see the potential with him.

Ben Simonett 5 years, 1 month ago

Rim protection was only one of the many problems this team had last year. No one outside of mason could beat there man and get to the rim consistently. No one outside of Ellis was a reliable scoring option in the paint

Mark Lindrud 5 years, 1 month ago

Valid points Ben. If we don't get a big time center then Lucas really needs to step up this year, because he plays too soft for my liking. The amount of times he didn't just attack the rim or get his shot blocked was frustrating.

Glen Miller 5 years, 1 month ago

Nobody really knows, but it sounds like we are going to whiff on the top players this year. At one point every player was said to be a KU lean and now they all seem to be headed elsewhere. The recruiting is becoming a bit ridiculous these days. Kids waiting until late means you have little time to come up with a plan B if you miss on plan A. I am concerned that Bragg is pretty much it as far as contributors brought in this year. I don't know how we are stuggling so bad when a trip to the Worlds and a chance to represent your country are there for the taking. If I were a one and done player, that would be the perfect scenario. Play over the summer against top competition, be the first to live in our new dorms, be coached by a top 5 college basketball coach, win a National Title, get drafted in the lottery, play in the NBA...... seems like our recruiting pitch this year should have been better than anyone else's.

Keith Gellar 5 years, 1 month ago

i thnk part of it has to do our last few tournament performances. Sure, dominate the BIG12 and win 11 straight, but how much exposure does really get us outside of Big12? i've said it before and will keep on saying it- until we don't make deeper runs in the tourney, we are going to suffer the same fate. Look at UK- as much as i hate calipari, what he did this year was amazing from a publicity point of view. even my wife who barely follows basketball knew about UK and the streak and their NBA lineup. this is unfortunately what matters to most of the top players and KU is lacking in this department. also, self's rep has taken a hit. i don't think he's viewed by recruits as he was pre-2012.

Glen Miller 5 years, 1 month ago

I'd like to see Danny do well for a few years at Wake and then have Self go off to the NBA (so we don't have to play against him) and bring Danny in as our head coach. That's my dream scenario. I think our recruiting, our progression and a little more flexibility by our coach would come out of this. Sometimes I think Self should adjust a little better than he does. All in all though, I can't bitch about Self.... we could do much much worse and few would be better.

Tyson Ailshie 5 years, 1 month ago

Self did win a National Championship. How soon we as fans forget. You won't hear me complaining too much.

Glen Miller 5 years, 1 month ago

I haven't forgotten.... but when you are at one place for an extended period of time, sometimes you get comfortable. I don't think anywhere in my post I complained. I'm good if he stays and I'm good if he leaves. I'm not going to let a coach staying or going somewhere else impact my life in a major way. I love KU, but it's just sports. At the end of the day, whether we win or lose, does not affect my well being. TO each their own.

John Boyle 5 years, 1 month ago

"but when you are at one place for an extended period of time, sometimes you get comfortable." i.e. Coach K at Duke. Oh, wait a minute. Never mind.

Jonathan Allison 5 years, 1 month ago

Coach K is the exception, and not the rule. He's a statistical outlier.

Aaron Paisley 5 years, 1 month ago

There's a chance KU plays Wake next year in Maui depending on how the bracket ends up.

Benz Junque 5 years, 1 month ago

I think part of it is that this year's recruiting season ISN'T OVER YET.

Brian Wilson 5 years, 1 month ago

No. I disagree. It does nothing for Kentucky. In fact it may hurt. While general public Patty may of heard of UK this past year, to a one and done Kentucky failed with 7 NBA prospects/players. Now Calipari is running all over Canada to try and recruit. Including his last ditch effort at Thorne. He is also hitting the UK kids. Kentucky has to start all over from scratch and it is unlikely that they will compete for the championship this next year. If the OADs are thinking, and they have plenty of time to do it, why would any want to be in the middle of that.

Bryce Landon 5 years, 1 month ago

That, and the Wichita State loss destroyed Self's credibility as a coach and Kansas' credibility as a program.

Ben Simonett 5 years, 1 month ago

I disagree with this statement :"Kids waiting until late means you have little time to come up with a plan B if you miss on plan A"

Duke, UK, and Arizona all seem to typically have a solid base for the class already established by late spring, any of the real late signees they get are usually just an extra bonus.

The question to ask is what are they doing to get a couple players locked up early that the KU staff isnt?....i don't know, but something has to change soon

Benz Junque 5 years, 1 month ago

This is the first year that we have found ourselves in this spot where so many recruits we are in on and shooting for all waited this late.

It's called an anomaly.

Ben Simonett 5 years, 1 month ago

In 2010 Selby didnt commit until april 17th and he ended up being the only top recruit landed that year. the program decided not to use the remaining scholarships chasing the scraps left in the late spring

In the 2011 class KU was a finalist for Trevor Lacy (commited to alabama may 18th) and Deandre Daniels (committed to uconn june 7th)

After missing on both of them late, the staff had to scrap for Braeden Anderson(signed april 10th), Jamari Traylor(signed may 18th) and Mervyn Lindsay(signed june 22nd)

2012 saw misses on Shabazz Muhammed (ucla on april 12th) which forced the april 20th and june 16th signing of the great contributors to the program Anrio Adams and Milton Doyle

seems very familiar to what could happen this year. this year isn't that anaomalous

you usually want to research a claim you make before you make it

Rodney Crain 5 years, 1 month ago

I agree 100% Ben.

A lot folks on here want to give us a pass for some reason, and live in the past. It is hard look past those 3 schools and just dismiss our weak position during the process the last year in recruiting. We are in a bad spot right now. Even if those schools miss out too, they each still have quality classes coming in! We miss out and we are patching together a class. I get some folks are positive on here but you have to face reality at some point.

Dan Burns 5 years, 1 month ago

Ben it is kinda testy... look at all the new names that are being mentioned at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Univer...

Alex Resnik 5 years, 1 month ago

The big difference with KU and the three schools you have listed is this: Duke, UK and Zona had at least three players that were either graduating or going to turn pro. KU did not have that. Really the only one was Perry. The beginning of the year Kelly and Cliff were sliding so fast down the draft boards no one could believe it. Someone has already compared KU this year to UNC this year. They have all of their players coming back. The only difference is, is that we had 2 guys leave that weren't originally expected to early in the season.

Robert Brock 5 years, 1 month ago

Newman will probably go with Mississippi State. He can do whatever he likes at MSU (for one year) and then it is off to The League.

Nick Willets 5 years, 1 month ago

Certainly no sure thing to land any of these remaining top recruits. I sure hope we can get Diallo or Brown, or the potential surprise of luring Ingram away from his home state.

Robert Brock 5 years, 1 month ago

Ingram will likely choose Duke. Elderly Coach K is working hard (and smart).

Ben Simonett 5 years, 1 month ago

Duke just signed a 5 star PG they got re classify to 2015.

Pro: One less scholarship to compete for the remaining 2015 prospects. Most peoples analysis of the programs odds of landing a good class, including mine, ignored the possibility of reclassification. reevaluation is needed

Con: Duke pulls further away from KU in the race to acquire talent. why cant KU go get someone they need to reclassify?

Rob Bedford III 5 years, 1 month ago

Duke just won the NCAA Champ. KU lost to WSU.

Ben Simonett 5 years, 1 month ago

Ugh. the names being tossed around there aren't very reassuring.

Whats gonna drive me nuts is who ever the low/unraked guys the staff brings in with the remaining scholarships(even if we get diallo, still gotta fill 2 spots) the kool aid drinkers are gonna instantly believe they are some sort of "diamond in the rough" that the staff found while everyone else in the country missed.

Its gonna be braenden anderson/merv lyndsey/milton doyle all over again. everyone was convinced the rating sites had it wrong and they were going to be good players for the program.....howd that turn out

Rob Bedford III 5 years, 1 month ago

What exactly were you hoping to clear up with that Dan?

John Fitzgerald 5 years, 1 month ago

OKC just fired their coach. I put money on them calling Self.

Ben Simonett 5 years, 1 month ago

wow. given the current state of the program it wouldnt be a bad idea for him to leave either.

If he gets out now he completely avoids any possibility, however small others may believe the chances are, or overseeing the program decline in the near future.

Callipari has done the same when he left UMASS and Memphis.

Tom Jones 5 years, 1 month ago

The "current state of the program"? Laugh out loud.

John Boyle 5 years, 1 month ago

He left those programs in shambles and facing NCAA sanctions. They had to vacate entire seasons at both his previous schools. But all is forgiven and he is the darling of the NCAA coaching world.

Ben Simonett 5 years, 1 month ago

Indeed. Because he was smart enough to get out before the s**t hit the fan. He has plausible deniability so the collapses are hard to pin directly on him.

Self could do the same now if the recruiting turns out very poor in these coming weeks

Allison Steen 5 years, 1 month ago

You are delusional. I know, I know, I should make a more intelligent post and have facts to show why you are delusional. But man, I would hate to see you in an actually tough situation.

Ben Simonett 5 years, 1 month ago

Why? You don't know me.

I appreciate your concern, but don't worry about me. Ill take care of myself in "actually tough situations"

Jonathan Allison 5 years, 1 month ago

Kevin Ollie is denying interest in coaching the NBA, but it's long been assumed that OKC would show interest in him due to his relationship as a former mentor of Kevin Durant with the Supersonics.

Billy Donovan is also getting a lot of play due to his open interest in coaching in the NBA and his friendship with GM Sam Presti.

Bill Self would be a natural fit with the OKC Thunder of course with his background, and who wouldn't be enticed by the allure of coaching Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, and Serge Ibaka.

But it is up to the organization to decide who would be the best fit for what they want to do. I don't know that Bill Self's coaching style necessarily fits the NBA model. Of course he is more than capable of changing what he does to fit the personnel and would have the opportunity in an interview to explain how he would more effectively utilize his roster.

OKC is in a must-win situation next season due to Kevin Durant's looming free agency, so I'd guess they'd be wary of hiring a college head coach, but their GM is considered an innovator so I definitely wouldn't put it past him.

Ben Simonett 5 years, 1 month ago

I dont know. a hi-lo set with Durant on the wing and Ibaka in the paint would be pretty effective in my opinion.

Alot of the stuff he ran with Sherron Collins would work well with Westbrook too

Jonathan Allison 5 years, 1 month ago

The NBA game is changing though. It's becoming all about fast pace and creating open three point shots. That's why Ibaka has become a 3 pt shooter and why Kanter with the ability to step out to the three pt line is becoming OKCs premier post scorer.

That said, no matter who's offense is being installed, Westbrook and Durant are going to score and be effective and Ibaka is an elite rim protector. That's why Scott Brook's won 62% of his games at OKC over 7 years. Whoever OKC chooses has to convince Sam Presti that his offense will be more efficient than Brooks', and he will certainly need to be well-versed in how to shutdown the Spurs, Rockets, Clippers, and Warriors offenses.

John Boyle 5 years, 1 month ago

It would be a bad move for any coach. Durant is a free agent after next year and Westbrook the year after that. Whoever goes there to coach could end up in NBA purgatory.

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 1 month ago

I would be shocked if they did not call Self. In fact, he probably has an ongoing dialog with the team's GM and owner.

Benz Junque 5 years, 1 month ago

An ongoing dialogue with an NBA owner and GM? Come on.

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 1 month ago

Sure, why not? Guys like Self, Cal, Williams and Coach K have regular conversations with GMs regarding players that may be drafted. Like the SA leadership, I would not be surprised if Self knew most or all the OKC leadership team. Why the dismay with that?

Allison Steen 5 years, 1 month ago

For all the "sky is falling, bill self is a terrible recruiter" fans, did you forget we got a top 15 player for next season already? Or that we got 2 top 10-15 recruits last season? Oh, did you also forget that we got the number one recruit the year before that? I feel your short term memory is seriously lacking. Quick to forget, quick to criticize.

Rodney Crain 5 years, 1 month ago

They just reset the rankings, on most sites he is ranked 20-25, and on a few he is a four star recruit not a 5 now. I like Bragg, but let's not forget that either.

I for one am wondering what happened this year myself. It seems our approach or stratergy changed. I much more concerned that we are losing recruits this year to schools who we typically do not lose to. It is tough enough with the blue bloods in the mix, if we struggle against the second tier schools, Houston we might have a problem...

Have said it here before, we lost two very good recruiters. I wonder if we are starting to feel that loss now.

Mark Lindrud 5 years, 1 month ago

That is something I have thought of when it comes to losing Danny Manning as a recruiter, and a developer of big men. His loss maybe felt a lot more than we truly realize.

Dan Burns 5 years, 1 month ago

It could be just coincidence but we haven't had our big to finish the last two years after losing Manning.

Allison Steen 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh sh*t! So we only have a top 20-25 player?! Nope, I won't have it. That is just offensive.

Ben Simonett 5 years, 1 month ago

Havent forgot. I'm the first to admit the '13 and '14 classes were amazing. My concern is the potential overall trend that 4 out of 6 seasons the staff will have brought in sub par class.

'10-'12 classes were awful and it looks very likely '15 will be too

Michael Uphaus 5 years, 1 month ago

First off, the OKC job is a potential landing spot for Coach Self and any opinion on what he should do would be biased on my part so all I will say is wish Coach luck in whatever he decides. Second, it sounds like Newman is going to Miss St., wish him nothing but luck and hopefully he doesnt take anyone that KU is interested in with him. Third, I desperately want KU to sign a Diallo or Maker because I feel they have the talent to help KU next year. However, I feel like I have not given the maturity and natural improvement from year to year of our current players "angle" enough credit. We will have mostly the same team as last year but the growth that should happen will make the team better overall. I dont believe any of the potential one and dones left are good enough to take KU from "good enough to make the tourney" to lock final 4 but as I stated I sure would feel better if we could get at least one more. Rock Chalk!

Jonathan Allison 5 years, 1 month ago

We saw some good play out of Lucas and Mickelson late in the year. And we can expect a pretty sizeable improvement from Svi as he'll turn 18 in June, and have a year under his belt in Coach Self's system as well as living in the USA and speaking English as a primary language. Graham, Mason, Selden, and Ellis are all candidates for an incremental gain. If Greene returns to form and resumes his hot shooting then we're still in the upper echelon of the conference and among the top 10-15 teams in the country, even without adding Diallo or another top prospect.

Dan Burns 5 years, 1 month ago

OKC... yeah I also heard that if Marshall left WSU Bill had already taken the job... NOT! One point I would agree with, I think we'll see both Diallo and Maker sign with KU.

Thomas Michaud 5 years, 1 month ago

Sounds like the "announcement" may be anti-climatic, reports today saying Newman has already signed a scholarship agreement. Although Kentucky Slick could flip another recruit.