Friday, April 10, 2015

Wayne Selden Jr. announces he’ll return to KU

Kansas guard Wayne Selden Jr. (1) roars at the Jayhawks' bench after hitting a three against Iowa State during the second half on Monday, Feb. 2, 2015 at Allen Fieldhouse.

At least one member of Kansas University’s men’s basketball team has announced his intention to stick around for the 2015-16 season.

Days removed from freshmen Kelly Oubre Jr. and Cliff Alexander deciding to enter the 2015 NBA Draft, KU announced in a release Friday afternoon sophomore Wayne Selden Jr. will be back for his junior season.

Kansas got bounced from the NCAA Tournament in the Round of 32 each of the last two seasons — Selden’s first two go-rounds as a Jayhawk.

The sophomore guard referenced his most recent game in a KU uniform — a 78-65 loss to Wichita State, in which he went scoreless in 23 minutes — in his announcement.

“I’m using that last game and the season as my everyday motivation to get better,” Selden said. “I’m happy to come back to Kansas next season. This is a special place.”

A two-year starter from Roxbury, Massachusetts, the 6-foot-5 Selden averaged 9.4 points per game in 2014-15, and led KU with 46 three-pointers made. He was named to the 2015 Big 12 Championship All-Tournament Team, after scoring 20 points on 7-of-9 shooting in KU’s 62-52 win against Baylor in the semifinals and a career-high 25 points versus Iowa State in the championship game, a 70-66 loss. In all, Selden had four 20-point efforts during his sophomore campaign and led KU in scoring seven times.

An All-Big 12 Honorable Mention selection both seasons at KU, Selden was second on the team as a sophomore with 95 assists and his 2.6 assists per game ranked 12th in the Big 12.

“Wayne is such a great kid and competitor and feels that there are so many things to accomplish, not only as an individual, but as a team,” KU head coach Bill Self said in the release. “He is committed to this program and I know he’ll work his tail off to put himself into in a spot to be a high (NBA) draft pick, hopefully next year, and put our team into position to have another great year.”

Selden already is looking forward to next season.

“A lot of good things are coming up for KU and I want to be a part of that,” he said in the release. “We’re going to represent the USA at the World (University) Games this summer. We’re moving into new dorms (McCarthy Hall) before school starts and we’re playing in Maui (Hawaii) next year.”

A decision from KU junior Perry Ellis regarding his future is expected in the coming days.

Comments

Craig Alexander 4 years, 6 months ago

Yes! Thank you Wayne. Look forward to seeing you back next year!

Jim Erickson 4 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely... He has been a solid player with enormous potential for two years now. In year three he will either continue to be solid or could be a beast. Either way, I'm excited to have a veteran team. If Ellis comes back, this will be a fun year.

Kristen Downing 4 years, 6 months ago

Glad he is coming back. Lot's of room for improvement. Still think it is 50/50 for Perry's return. Not much room for improvement for him and I'm sure the knee injury will be on his mind.

Joe Joseph 4 years, 6 months ago

Awesome news! If Wayne has the type of season that places him in the lottery... that will probably mean that KU has had a very good season.

My prediction is that Perry declares for the draft - without signing an agent - and withdraws his name from the draft by the designated time. He returns to school, averages 18 and 8 next season, receives 2nd-team All-American honors, and leads KU to the regional final.

John Strayer 4 years, 6 months ago

Uhhh....I think that deadline to withdraw from the draft and retain NCAA eligibility is this Sunday...so why bother announcing if he chooses that route.

Joe Joseph 4 years, 6 months ago

Looks like you're right. Thanks. The bulk of my prediction remains the same, however.

Ashwin Rao 4 years, 6 months ago

Is there a deadline to "declare"? or after sunday, the player is stuck to staying?

Joe Joseph 4 years, 6 months ago

I just went back and looked. The NCAA's rule is that kids must have made their intentions to return to school known by this Sunday (if they have previously declared for the draft), or they lose eligibility. The NBA deadline for entering the draft, however, is later in April.

So, Perry will basically wait until the NBA deadline since he has not officially declared for the draft yet.

Cody Riedy 4 years, 6 months ago

Some players frustrate you because you doubt their heart or commitment or their talent, etc. I think with Wayne, if fans are frustrated, it's because he's a guy you don't doubt in those ways and your anxious to see it all come together. Once upon a time, having a breakout season in one's junior year wasn't considered being a late-bloomer. I'm glad he'll be back.

Jay Scott 4 years, 6 months ago

I freaking love Wayne Selden as a player. He's got game. Don't anyone write Wayne off.

Ben Simonett 4 years, 6 months ago

If he could just develop some good ball handling skills hed be a first round pick. He's got the size and strength to finish through contact he just cant get past his guy and to the rim to utilize it

Robert Brock 4 years, 6 months ago

He also needs to work on shooting. He is wildly inconsistent.

John Hayden 4 years, 6 months ago

Wonderful news! Wayne has a great heart and is very committed to basketball. We will need his energy next season and his leadership. Thanks Wayne now just talk Perry into staying for his senior year.

Reggie Flenory 4 years, 6 months ago

Yeah good he's comming back but the question is how hard is he working to improve. At this point he has to be a go to guy on offense. His freshman and sophomore season were pretty much identical statistically.

Glen Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

I don't think anyone has ever doubted Wayne's work ethic or desire to improve. His numbers have not been what we all expected, but his fire and commitment to this team has never wavered. You can't look at just stat lines to decide if a guy improved or not. He was a better overall player this year than last and I look for him to really elevate his game with the extra practices and games over the summer.

Reggie Flenory 4 years, 6 months ago

He was a slightly better player than last year. His defense improved how ever his, overall play on the offensive end is still inconsistent especially for his size and ability level. He still shoots to many jumpers and he doesn't finish.

Glen Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

You questioned how hard he is working, did you not? I'm not arguing his numbers didn't jump off the page, I'm arguing what hopefully was just miss wording on your end. We've all seen how much Self hates playing guys who don't work hard..... I highly doubt his numbers were due to lack of effort or he wouldn't have gotten the floor time he got. The kid works his ass off, let's not question his commitment.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 6 months ago

Selden's knee injury has taken away a lot of his athleticism that he had in HS that made him a projected lottery pick. He's now just a solid, 4 year player who can contribute a lot to a team and be a glue guy type player.

Trent Rose 4 years, 6 months ago

I think he is as explosive as he's ever been. I think Wayne struggles with focus and intensity. He is an above average shooter and if he improves his dribble-drive game and finishing near the rim, his scoring average will bump up to 12-to-15 per game. And also improve his draft stock.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 6 months ago

Go watch his HS highlights, he is definitely not as bouncy and explosive as he was then. That knee injury he played with as a freshman that he had repaired took away some of his explosiveness that he's never going to get back again. He can still be a pretty good player, but his ceiling isn't as high as it was before he injured his knee.

Trent Rose 4 years, 6 months ago

You are always going to look more explosive against lesser athletes. Also, you have the chance to show off that athleticism in HS more consistently than at a high Division I level.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 6 months ago

You've clearly never had significant knee problems. You never fully 100% recover from the type of knee injury Wayne had. You lose a little bit of lateral quicknes, a couple of inches off the vertical, basically the stuff that made Wayne a special player coming out of HS. My football career was ended by a significant knee and ankle injury. Ligaments were damaged and once that happens, they never fully recover to how they were before the injury.

Joe Ross 4 years, 6 months ago

I agree with Aaron on this one. If you look at his high school highlights, you will notice an absence of many plays in college where he had that kind of bounce. He just doesn't look like the same player.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 6 months ago

Nice to hear, but I am kind of hoping we get another guard to push him or take over his PT. We need more consistent production from his position for a starter.

Mark Lindrud 4 years, 6 months ago

Good news for him most of all. I felt he needed one more year to develop a consistent outside shot along with improving his ball handling skills. A year from now he may propel himself into the lottery by fine tuning his game.

On the selfish side, another wing, and a quality center and wow we could be loaded next year. I hear Bragg has been recruiting Ingram and Zimmerman by the way lol.

Alex Berger 4 years, 6 months ago

I would also like to announce that I will not enter the NBA draft this season.

Clara Westphal 4 years, 6 months ago

Thank you for coming back Wayne. I will look forward to watching you play next year and will be cheering for you.

Mike Riches 4 years, 6 months ago

This is a good news, although interestingly, I was more relieved last year when he announced this than this year. That's not a knock on Selden, but as he played this year, it became more and more evident that he'll need to improve his game before successfully making the jump to the next level.

Hopefully we've lost our last player for next year, and will still add a couple more at least. I'm really excited for Korea! I'm excited to watch KU basketball in the summer obviously, but I'm also excited for the potential positive effect it can have on our season next year.

Danny Hernandez 4 years, 6 months ago

Great News. We Need Wayne more than most know. Now just need to hear that Perry's returning. I can already hear the cyclone fans thinking that as long as Kansas continues to lose players to the NBA, they have a chance of dethroning us. About the only way ISU can beat Kansas is for our star players to be injured (last two tourney games in KC) or losing players to the NBA. Their players return because they're not lottery guys

Matt Gauntt 4 years, 6 months ago

Guy announces that he is coming back, which should be great news. We then get 30 armchair coaches that want to dissect every motion of his game. Chances are that none of you could get 1 point in an hour long one-on-one game with Wayne.

Perhaps you guys could just be positive and say "hey, great news" and then go back to making Big Macs.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 6 months ago

Perhaps we get to have our own opinions. Now if we are on the Matt Gauntt web page you can set your own rules.

Relax Matt please.

Matt Gauntt 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm relaxed. Just laughing at the stupidity of the comments.

Jerry Walker 4 years, 6 months ago

Perhaps you're less than honest...why else would you encourage others to curtail an activity that gives you so much amusement?

No, you're not relaxed...your cheeks are nail proof. But that's how pedantics roll when responding to others who have been freely invited to express comments and opinions.

You've got my vote for queen of the pom-pom squad.

Mark Lindrud 4 years, 6 months ago

Shows you how smart you are. 5 Guys burgers are way better!

Fred Davis 4 years, 6 months ago

We can file this under the Sky is Still Blue Category..... Who in their right mind thought Wayne Selden was going to the NBA...? I like Selden, but when I read that he wasn't engaged mentally during the Wichita State game, that bothered me. You're an alleged team leader and yet can't get focused during the biggest game of the year? Wow.

He's saying all the right things now, so we'll see if that manifests itself into next season. He needs to stay consistent and learn to FINISH at the rim. For a guy so physically gifted, his inability to finish at the rim is perplexing.... Either way, KU has a lot to prove next season, and it starts with Self. Wayne 'announcing' what any one who's ever watched a minute of basketball already knew, well, at least this team isn't delusional.

Rock Chalk

Bryce Landon 4 years, 6 months ago

Finally, some good news for the KU program.

Justin Channel 4 years, 6 months ago

I see mr selden being on all big 12 player next year. I just hope don't self get some flash on the pan 5 stAr and take Wayne's minutes! Thru his ups and downs so far no one can say he hasn't played hard every game he has been in! Personally I respect that more than anything. That's Jayhawks basketball!