Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Report: Morris twins under investigation for role in alleged assault

Phoenix Suns' Markieff Morris, left, shakes hands with his twin brother Marcus, as they walk off the court after the Suns 107-104 loss to the Sacramento King in a NBA basketball game in Sacramento, Calif., Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013.(AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli)

Former Kansas University basketball standouts and current Phoenix Suns teammates in the NBA, twin brothers Marcus and Markieff Morris are being investigated by Phoenix police for their part in an alleged assault, according to a report from azcentral.com.

Police have submitted a case against the Morris twins and three other men, who are accused of assaulting a man who may have sent “inappropriate” texts to the twins’ mother, but no arrests have been made nor charges filed.

Marcus and Markieff have denied assaulting the alleged victim in an incident reported to have occurred in January.

Azcentral.com reported the Suns didn’t immediately respond to a request for a comment regarding the alleged incident, and both Marcus and Markieff declined to speak about it following a loss in Atlanta Tuesday night.

Comments

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 10 months ago

I anyone is going to assault anybody, assaulting somebody who sent inappropriate text to your mother is as good a reason as any. A son's defense of his mother's honor is a noble deed. If reports are accurate, I'll give the Morri a huge pass on this one. My only hope is they made a lasting impact on the guy.

Greg Ledom 4 years, 10 months ago

No Fred, no need to rewrite the law, just be prepared to deal with the consequences of your actions whether your the douche bag that sent inappropriate texts to your mother (if in fact it happened) or if your the twins and you decide to teach the dude a lesson. Either way, you may have it coming.....

Rodney Crain 4 years, 10 months ago

Then Greg prepared to be arrested for your actions. The Texters, no matter how inapproaite, did not break the law it appears.

Get her a new phone number and be more careful who has it.

What is the pentalty for cutting someone off on the highway a few shots with a gun across your hood? Where does it stop?

Who gets to decide what is right and wrong???

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 10 months ago

Since we don't actually know what the content of the texts were, we don't know if they were illegal or not. Sending threatening texts or continuing to send texts after you've been asked to quit are both things that can get you arrested for either threatening someone or harassment. Don't automatically assume the texter wasn't doing something illegal until you actually know the content of the texts.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 10 months ago

Inappropriate is not threatening. If they were threats why would a person think that the way to address the threat would be to assault them? They could defend themselves, very possibly legally with deadly force.

Anyway you want to frame this breaking the law to correct it was a mistake. Agreeing that you think they were right, like Suzi, others, is wrong.

It's disappointing to think that some still feel words demand to be answered with assault.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 10 months ago

Inappropriate was in quotes, and you don't know what that refers to exactly. It could range anywhere from threatening to sexually explicit to harassing.

Joe Ross 4 years, 10 months ago

Vigilante justice is a Pandora's box one should be careful about opening. We've got enough problems keeping cops clean. Last thing we need is to leave justice in the hands of impulsive and whimsical civilians.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 10 months ago

Wow. I wish you were kidding Suzi. I do not think you are, which means you think this is ok?? You are completely wrong. Completely. 6 likes so far, super!!!

How about they get their mom a new phone number? I think they can afford it.

Vigilantism is a slippery slope, no matter what the offense. How can you justify they risk so much for something like this? What is the line you are not supposed to cross? I think it is the one where what you do is illeagal when what they did is not.

I get Mother's Day is coming up but this is not worthy of a pass! Mercy.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 10 months ago

No I am not kidding. It is about their mother where there is no room for beta-males. If this case in anywhere close to my perceptions of what happened, I'm proud of the Morri. Apparently the texter is still alive so the initial impression seems to be they did not use excessive force defending their mother's honor.

Sure they need to change her cell phone number but there are somethings where direct action is justified.

James Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

Well, I see a lot of people disagree with this post. All I can say is... if someone disrespects my mom or wife, they just might get their a$$ kicked. I know many people think this to be barbaric...I see it to be right. People hide behind screens and phones and say whatever they want. In my book, you should only say what you are willing to back up. That is how I was raised in the '70s in Parsons and in the '80s in Wichita...maybe since I left in '89 for the military the state has gotten soft.

Kent Noble 4 years, 10 months ago

We don't need to rewrite anything, there is to many laws as it is.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 10 months ago

Your right, just arrest them and move on.

Bryce Landon 4 years, 10 months ago

Is she still the KU team mom, or did she move on after her sons left Lawrence?

Keith Gellar 4 years, 10 months ago

i'm not shocked at all. the Morris twins did a lot of "extra-curricular" activity even while at KU. some of it got out and they got a slap on the wrist (BB gun), but some of the "unofficial" stories i've heard...let me just say they did a hell of job not getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Bryce Landon 4 years, 10 months ago

I wish we still had an F.O.E. mentality.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 10 months ago

I would like to know the nature of the "inappropriate" texts before deciding if whooping that dude's a$$ was worth it. Everyone has a line when it comes to taking the law into their own hands when it involves somebody else messing with a family member. The only difference us and the Morris twins is where that line is.

Joe Ross 4 years, 10 months ago

I have the distinct feeling that the Morris twins--God bless em--dont need much of a good reason to involve themselves in criminal activity. The family member's involvement is as convenient a donkey to pin the tail on as any other. http://www2.kusports.com/news/2008/au...

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 10 months ago

Sorry, but BB gun incident was not criminal activity. It was kids being stupid. Anyone who didn't do something stupid that could've gotten them cited is either a liar or led the most sheltered life ever.

Like I said, I would like to know the content of those text messages before passing judgement in this case.

Joe Ross 4 years, 10 months ago

He was charged with battery, which is a criminal offense. As is often the case, stupidity and criminality are often overlapping magisteria. Parsing the definition of the word gets us away from the proper focus, which is that a young kid did something stupidly criminal, taking aim at an innocent woman without provocation shooting her with an air-powered rifle and causing bodily injury to her person. Local authorities have, in fact, established the behavior as criminal so it's established outside of either of our perspectives.

But it goes beyond that. Having the advantage of hindsight, we should really question the mindset of a person who would engage in legally defined battery against innocent people and, if allegations prove true, involve himself in the kind of vigilantism which removes justice from the proper hands of the local authorities.

I enjoyed the Morris twins as players, but I dont think any one of us would feel comfortable vouching for them as model citizens.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 10 months ago

Does it matter that Eric Hood was a friend in Philly with their mom and knew the twins, that on the day of the attack the twins mom texted him asking where Hood was? That the police have evidence to show she did contact him the day of the attack. That there were witnesses and injuries only to Hood, a fractured nose and head injuries, and that the brothers were identified by witnesses as 2 of the 3 attackers?

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 10 months ago

Who is the him you're referring to? And what was the content of the text messages? There are still unknowns to the public so that I'm not going to pass judgment on this yet until those unknowns become known.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 10 months ago

There is more info on other sites, I don't care what judgement you want to pass.

I have enough information to know this is not how you handle any text message to anyone. The twins have opened themselves to charges, and a civil lawsuit for no good reason.