Friday, September 19, 2014

Keegan

Column: Juco quick fix is neither

KU defensive tackle Marquel Combs runs through a pass-rush drill during preseason practice.

This was supposed to be the year that it all came together at Kansas University for third-year football coach Charlie Weis, who puts in such long hours on the job he sometimes sleeps in his office.

We all pictured Brigham Young transfer Jake Heaps at quarterback, throwing touchdowns for the second year in a row to fellow senior Justin McCay, the Oklahoma transfer. Heaps and McCay routinely shredded the first-team KU defense in 2012 practices, Weis said at the time.

This also was going to be the senior year for the #DreamTeam juco recruiting class, headed by Tweeter extraordinaire Marquel Combs, the No. 1-ranked juco of the Class of 2013, according to ESPN. Combs and Chris Martin were going to team to give Kansas a defensive line that would make quarterbacks panic so badly they would be tempted to take a knee on every down.

Marcus Jenkins-Moore would be blitzing from his outside-linebacker position, too. Injured last season, he left the program two months ago. Like Combs and Martin, he never played a down for Kansas.

Combs, so lazy in practice he was told to red-shirt, didn’t feel like doing that and transferred to Southeast Louisiana, where he has seven tackles three games into this season. Martin was sentenced to three years’ probation for felony robbery.

Wide receiver Mark Thomas originally was suspended indefinitely after an arrest. He no longer is in the program for which he never played a snap.

Offensive tackle Pearce Slater was a late addition to that recruiting class, and it generated much excitement because Oklahoma had recruited him. Slater participated in a few summer practices, returned to junior college and is now at San Diego State.

Kevin Short and Dexter McDonald were going to form the best cornerback tandem in the Big 12. McDonald’s off to a good start. All Short, a mega-talent, had to do was attend all his classes, tutoring sessions and team meetings to have a major impact on the program and his chances of playing in the NFL. He was dismissed from the team before the start of this season. Last season, he practiced for KU and was ruled academically ineligible by the NCAA to play in games. Again, zero snaps.

Offensive tackle Zach Fondal spent one full season with Kansas, linebacker Samson Faifili part of a season. Both gone.

Nine of the 17 juco recruits from the Class of 2013 remain on the roster, and five of them, plus punter Trevor Pardula, are starters, seemingly solid citizens well worth recruiting.

Therein lies the key to juco recruiting. When evaluating junior-college talent, Kansas State coach Bill Snyder decides which athletes have enough potential to play for him, and then instead of going after the ones among those candidates with the most talent, he recruits the ones with the best character and trusts himself and his coaches to make them better football players.

KU’s quick-fix approach, so heavy on junior-college talent and Div. I transfers, has backfired. It usually does.

It will be interesting to see whether Kansas has enough talent and healthy bodies to get as much out of spring football as most schools. Just 51 players who originally joined the KU program as scholarship athletes will practice, barring injuries and additional transfers.

No light is visible at the end of a tunnel that makes the world’s largest, the Delaware Aqueduct, seem like a brass pipe nipple by comparison.

Comments

Micky Baker 7 years, 2 months ago

Character is a big issue that should be considered. Teams that get caught breaking the rules lose those players to suspensions by the NCAA. Once Chris Martin was arrested for armed robbery, the other players with him that night he did it went down with him. You know how the saying goes, "one bad apple spoils the bunch". Martin and Mark Thomas didn't work out, not because they weren't talented, but because of the content of their character. There was another guy, and I can't remember his name but he was also a Wide Receiver that was dismissed from the team who was involved in the robbery with Martin. It doesn't do any good to ask what they were thinking, because they weren't thinking at all. If someone had something that belonged to one of them, call the police or file a lawsuit in small claims court. It's really not that hard.

Many of these kids come from broken homes and otherwise troubled backgrounds and some of the do deserve a chance to grow up. Once you turn 20, if you haven't showed signs of that, like Chris Martin, maybe they shouldn't be give another chance. Chris Martin could not have been saved for the team after the robbery, but he could have been saved if not for the robbery by not asking him to redshirt. Just don't play him much if he doesn't work hard in practice, and don't play him on meaningful snaps so he sees the choices. You either work hard or you lose a year of eligibility. If that doesn't get one of the transfer's attention, then after that season cut him from the team. The expectations at practice shouldn't be lightened up for anyone.

In life, you don't get to redshirt. You don't get to go back and be 21 again and do things differently. Just my thoughts. Don't ask them to redshirt, but on game days, don't call their number as a starter and give them very limited playing time so they see clearly what the choice is. Of course, in Martin's case, I wouldn't want him to stay after the Robbery. That would have sent a very bad message to the rest of the team. If it's off the field problem like not going to class, not getting the grades, not showing up to scheduled tutoring sessions, that is just as much a problem as the on field problems.

With all that said, the players on this team now need to rise above that adversity. There is nothing they can to change it. It doesn't help to mope around. Rise above it and show character. Should I even have to insert the, "rise above it", cliche here?

Ethan Berger 7 years, 2 months ago

After watching KState last night,it proves the importance of a good coach. Auburn from a talent standpoint is light years ahead but they should have lost. Synder might not be remembered as an all time great because he doesn't have a title but he should be. The man has done something special with KState. My biggest thing is we need to score this weekend (duh!). It's okay to stall everyone once in awhile but for years we have disappeared for long chunks. Last week Duke knew every play we were going to run. The option didn't work because they had two guys spying the whole game. Look for CMU to do the same. To me this opens up the flats and the middle of the field. Run some bootleg to get the linebackers moving. We have to use our spacing better instead of trying what already doesn't work.

Micky Baker 7 years, 2 months ago

I watched the game too, and K-State could have won, but I won't go as far as saying they should have won. Your point about coaching still holds true. There were a couple of plays that went Auburn's way, like the INT in the redzone but that was simply a very talented Wide Receiver causing the missed opportunity. K-State also missed 3 field goals. Chalk it up to nerves or whatever you want, but I'm not sure Auburn was all that challenged by K-State's offense, and it does give some film to watch for when other teams play K-State to stop that running QB play that almost always goes up the gut as long as the edge is cut off, and Water isn't that good of a runner either. Cut that back side off, and K-State isn't that fast on the edge.

kellerman411 7 years, 2 months ago

K-State is going to MURRRRDER KU. If they so chose, they could beat us 100-0. That won't happen but they literally could if they wanted to.

Micky Baker 7 years, 2 months ago

Hyperbole isn't going to spark an intelligent conversation.

Chris Condren 7 years, 2 months ago

What we are seeing is the undeniable mismanagement of the football program. Weis's Juco fix has failed and we will be left to dig out from the wreckage left behind when Weis is dismissed. And if the current roster situation is not bad enough look at the commitment list for next year's class and you will see that eight of the thirteen known commitments are Juco players. When you are in a hole the first thing you need to do is to stop digging.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 2 months ago

As Chris Condren pointed out above, the biggest concern now is that our next coach will inherit a complete disaster of a program.

The JUCO route was not the strategy of choice. In order to develop your trenches, you needed to stew it slowly within the system.

Now the next coach is left with a ton of undeveloped upperclassmen, and a lack of talented freshmen and sophomores. Our level of play the next season or two will be low end FCS caliber...especially after we lose this year's senior class.

Really hope that we can get a coach that gives us a shot to compete in the future. I'm ready to come back to Lawrence on Saturdays with my kids, and enjoy the experience.

Following KU football can be such a blast (like it was under Mangino)...but only if we're going in the right direction, and the program gradually improves from season to season.

Robert Brown 7 years, 2 months ago

I wonder why this column wasn't written last year when terms like "JUCO dream" team was used to describe KU's recruiting class. I remember getting into a discussion and many people would comment that it worked for Bill Snyder, like it was easy to replicate what Snyder does at K-State.

I think everyone now realizes that Weis is no Bill Snyder and that the JUCO formula is not easy to win.

With all of that said, it is now essential that the AD and fans let this experiment play out. Even if KU loses tomorrow, the current coaching staff should at be given the change to finish this season.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 2 months ago

No Robert I disagree. Charlie Weis does not get the automatic right to finish the season. Zenger should have made the move last season, and because he didn't, it has tarnished his own performance as an Athletic Director.

We need to start the process as soon as possible, so we can get the right coaching regime in here. That gives Zenger time to get his ducks in a row, in order to make the right coaching decision (hopefully he will this time).

I think we will win this week, but if we can't beat CMU, then it's time to start that process.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 2 months ago

The kind of coaches capable of turning KU around aren't going to be available to interview until December. Fire Weis today or the day after the KSU game, the time line for bringing in a new coach is the same. Compile a list now and interview in December. Keep Weis until the season is over, let the staff continue to recruit because there are some very good recruiters on staff, and hope the new staff can keep the HS kids. If Weis is fired now, you kill HS recruiting for the year because the current HS commits can decommit now and reopen their recruiting and KU loses them. If Weis is fired after the KSU, you can let whoever the new coach is have a chance at talking to the HS commits and keeping them.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 2 months ago

It is possible that the team quits on Weis and KU loses their commits that way. But the risk of losing them is higher by firing Weis now. Right now, the decision on when to fire Weis needs to be doing so in a way that does the least damage the 2015 recruiting class. Zenger is not a guy that's out there publicly announcing everything he's considering and I think that's a good thing.

As for Jim Leavitt, he's currently the LB coach for the San Francisco 49ers so he wouldn't be available to take any college coaching job until at least the regular season is over in January. I'm not saying to dismiss him as an option, just that he wouldn't be available tomorrow if Weis was fired today.

Bill Kackley 7 years, 2 months ago

What would make me happy would be to never have to read your negative comments again. I am not happy with the way things have gone so far but your negativism makes me want to puke.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 2 months ago

Bill Kackley - You don't have to like me. But NO ONE can say that my pre-season opinions regarding this program and how it was being coached wasn't highly accurate.

If you don't believe that, feel free to scroll back to all the July and August articles, and read my posts. Pretty much everything I've said has came to fruition...almost to a T.

As a matter of fact, my sentiment may not have been bearish enough, as I thought we would go 3-9. Now it looks like 2-10 may be in the cards.

You see it as negative (and thats fine)...I view it as an honest and realistic analysis of the state of this program.

Micky Baker 7 years, 2 months ago

Actually, a lot of people can. You think that your reasoning is correct, but it isn't.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 2 months ago

OK Mickey - we all know by now you have a hard on for countering my opinions, and you don't like government workers or whatever.

So I'm going to finally acknowledge you, and give you a chance to specifically tell us why my reasoning wasn't accurate ?

Preferably short, concise, easy to understand, and to the point. Let her rip Mickey Baker.

By the way, I will be countering your rebuttle with plenty of past articles and posts that both...you and I have made. Go...

Adam Tyler 7 years, 2 months ago

You my friend are being a douche.

Your summer predictions were correct, cool. Move on.

Micky Baker 7 years, 2 months ago

Go ahead. You still can't spell it right dougey boy. You didn't have the guts to respond to most of the post. I know why.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 2 months ago

That's what I thought...you got nothing.

Micky Baker 7 years, 2 months ago

I responded, didn't I? You know your reasoning isn't correct, yet you still act like you're some expert.

By the way, I don't have a problem with your opinions. We can discuss those, but you don't engage people you disagree with respectfully, and often times won't even address them directly but side swipe them. Do you think I shouldn't call you out on that? Every time I have done that. you have not responded, but I'll be waiting for you to post my responses along with your original posts, but I doubt you'll include your condescending posts. It's very apparent to me that you don't have respect for those "Kool Aid" drinkers. It's also disrespectful to spell someone's name wrong, twice, just to try to anger them. I know that's what your motive is.

I also don't have a problem with you working for the government, but it's the way you ducked responsibility for the actions of the NWS/SPC(which is part of the NWS). I also know you're not the one that writes the mesoscale discussions for the SPC. You're in a position where you can submit suggestions to the SPC, right? Write the mesoscale discussions so people can understand what it means. It's open to the general public. It's simple communication(kind of like spelling someone's name correctly). You can stop being pretentious any time you like.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 2 months ago

I don't name call, or directly attack someone on chat boards. Go ahead and look at previous posts, and if I'm wrong, let me know. I disagree with 95% of the posters on here because of the unrealistic expectations that most had prior to the season starting. A different opinion doesn't mean I disrespect someone.

Obviously I'm not a fan of Weis, Gill, or Perkins. Not a fan of the decisions our school has made with football coaching. It's clearly the wrong direction to take. A lot of times that comes across very negative, but I view it as being realistic and honest. That really upsets a lot of posters, but it's not a direct insult to you or the posters.

Was a season ticket holder under Mangino. The Perkin's Dagger put an end to that.

Regarding SPC, man I work at the Springfield office, so I have no clue whats happening down there. All I can account for is what happens across southwest Missouri and southeast Kansas. Yes SPC is a center within the NWS, but I have no say in how those guys operate. They've always been really good to work with whenever we coordinate watches.

Sorry about misspelling your name...I promise it wasn't intentional.

Micky Baker 7 years, 2 months ago

Your first response after last week's game to Joe Ross wasn't side swiping them? C'mon man, you can own it.

Regarding spelling my name, how is it possible that you didn't do it on purpose? It's right in front of you. I don't think you're genuine.

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 2 months ago

The only way this experiment deserves the right to play out is we win or we are competitive in games. If we are able to show progress throughout the season then yes it can play out, but if games like Duke keep happening, then it needs to end because we are not getting better.

Lance Cheney 7 years, 2 months ago

Do you think Baylor will chant "High School Football" at us again this year? Because that game is going to be UGLY.

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 2 months ago

Rumor has it they will chant "Pee wee football". Waiting to confirm.

Micky Baker 7 years, 2 months ago

The problem is that at this time last year, Marquel Combs and Kevin Short were still with the team. Chris Martin was kicked off the team, and I'm okay with that, but he took a couple of other guys down with him. That was probably a good move by Weis to dismiss him. He shouldn't have gotten another chance any where else like he did.

These guys came to KU thinking they were already inked in at number 1 in the depth chart and that they could just coast through. That sort of gives this thing a double edged sword. You want the coach to treat everyone the same, and what if he let it slide? Short likely left for the same issues that made him ineligible a year ago. Combs left because he didn't want to "redshirt". He would be playing here right now if he didn't have the ego problem, but now he's not even playing FBS, is he? This is what I meant by some people's reasoning not being right. The guys on this line, save for one I think, all came as high school players and they aren't performing. They didn't even show intensity last week. Our offensive linemen mostly came out of high school, and they don't play with the attitude. That might change on the O-line with Reagan after this season. You get into habits that are hard to break. Not finishing a block and turning around to watch the guy you just let go tackle the running back(not referring to you obviously).

It is also somewhat troubling that we had some guys on teams that finished under .500 like during Stuckey's last season, Harris's last season, and Steven Johnson's last season who have performed well at the next level. Of course, Stuckey performed well at KU, but he couldn't win games all by himself. Even in the Missouri game in 2008 with the 2 INTs, FF, and recovered fumble, it took everyone giving it all that day to win that game. It took a 4th down play with 27 seconds left on the clock with Kerry Meier getting behind the defense for the winner. That offensive line, in terms of talent, was not that much more talented than these guys are. I don't know what's going on there, but these guys, if they just went out there with an attitude and just stayed on their blocks until the hear the whistle blow and that spreads throughout the whole team, things could look different than they did against Duke.

Robert Brock 7 years, 2 months ago

Weis should follow the example set recently by SMU coach June Jones and simply resign.

Following that, KUAD Zenger should also resign.

Jim Jackson 7 years, 2 months ago

With the anemic talent Mangino and Gill left behind and having kicked off 29 players from the team at the onset ,I thought it was a very good strategy. Furthermore, the only HS players we would've been in the running for after the GIll debacle would've been 2 star clowns with their only other offers from Tulsa and Colorado St.

There is minimal Big 12 talent in KS; we need to continue the juco route; just need to be more thorough with the character checks. That being said, a guy like Kevin Short, we need to take a chance on because he was a legit NFL talent, according to many and we would have 0 chance at a guy like that coming out of HS.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 2 months ago

Jim how do you know Short was an NFL talent ? Because Keegan says so ? From what I understand, our receivers were getting the best of him in practice.

Jim Jackson 7 years, 2 months ago

No I'm a subscriber to a site that scouts potential NFL draft picks; he was on the list and was offered by LSU and looked at by 'Bama out of juco.

The scouts also said Mangino will never be able to come back to KU due to an abundance of legality issues. Sorry to break your heart Doug E Fresh

Doug Cramer 7 years, 2 months ago

You're probably right about Mangino...and yes it does break my heart.

Although I question Kevin Short's prospects of ever playing in the NFL...or his potential to ever play in the NFL.

Seems kind of silly to make that call based off of his JUCO performance in southeast Kansas...when he's never tasted experience in an FBS game.

Bill Kackley 7 years, 2 months ago

Keagan is great about beating a dead horse.

Chayse Patrick 7 years, 2 months ago

Yep, the future was supposedly so bright for Kansas football. Well, somebody forgot to tell all those JuCos that BCS football is serious stuff. Just like high school recruits you cannot take a 3 star high schooler and pro coaches and expect them to work out.. I don't care how many super bowl rings weis has all he did was ride the Tom Brady name for his success. It like trying to put a round peg in a square hole. Speaking of hole, zenger with the idiotic hire of weis has now gotten ku in a hole deeper than ever!!! The game ku coaches oughta be playing now is follow the leader...............first is weis then campo then bowen and finally zenger all need to be let go!!!! This so-called football program is just to darn embarrassing for all its fans. I've been a Kansas fan for 50 years in ALL there sports BUT I'll swear I've never ever ever seen anything so PATHETIC in all 50 years. And Zenger, Weis and all his rings don't mean a damn thing. And thank you for your ridiculous hire!!

Doug Roberts 7 years, 2 months ago

Dave Campo is obvious interim head coach if Zenger does pull the trigger. Next coach needs to be a proven HEAD coach who has built a solid program. Preferably twice. No hires based on head coach "potential" please (Venables, etc.).

Robert Brown 7 years, 2 months ago

Name someone who meets your criteria that would come to KU? I have to assume there will be several Big 5 head coaching jobs available at the end of the year with better prospecs than KU

Doug Roberts 7 years, 2 months ago

Throwing this out there just because: if things go south in San Francisco could Jim Harbaugh make his way to Lawrence?

Doug Cramer 7 years, 2 months ago

Doug - love the Harbaugh idea. And from what I understand, his wife is from the area.

Although I couldn't see him giving up an NFL gig to come to Lawrence.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 2 months ago

Having an NFL OC as our head coach hasn't worked for us so far. Why would we want another NFL OC replacing him?

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 2 months ago

Harbaugh might not be with the 49ers next year and it won't be voluntary if it happens. Him and management are supposedly not getting along and he might get canned after the year because of it.

Chayse Patrick 7 years, 2 months ago

He's another pro coach and at this time ku doesnt' need or want a pro coach. ku needs more like a babysitter with all his players taking baby steps. And they DO NOT need zenger making the choices either!!! LOL

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 2 months ago

Harbaugh also rebuilt Stanford so he does have a track record of success at the college level.

Brian Zachary 7 years, 2 months ago

Funny all the people calling for Zenger's head. He has quietly improved the athletic department as whole (football not withstanding). He quietly kept the BigXII together while fans were begging to jump ship to any conference that would have us. I for one prefer Zenger's quiet approach to his job unlike Perkins who was the limelight. Let this season play out before we round up the posse and start lynching everyone on campus.

Micky Baker 7 years, 2 months ago

Brian you're right. The morale in the athletic department is very high. Volleyball, Soccer, Baseball, Track and Field, etc. This isn't really a Zenger problem. You know, the same fans said this about Lew Perkins and now they complain after he left. He resigned. It was because of Gray-Little playing PC police. It was also about pretending that some other people's actions in the ticket scandal were the fault of Lew Perkins. That's just plain stupid. When it is a criminal act by someone in an organization, you don't hold the "AD" accountable for what people in the ticket office did. In a criminal investigation, the fans aren't entitled to knowing the details of the investigation. That's like blaming they Baltimore Ravens GM for Ray Rice's behavior.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 2 months ago

BGL did not have anything to do with Perkins resigning. The ticket scandal isn't why Perkins resigned either. It was the exercise equipment incident that forced Perkins to resign before he would've been fired.

Back to the ticket scandal though. The ticket office is a part of KU athletics and ultimately reports to the AD's office. There's an old legal saying, "Ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking it." Sean Payton may not have been directly responsible for the Saints bounty incident, yet he was still suspended for a year because of it. Why? Because as head of the Saints, it's his job to know what is going on with his players and coaching staff. Ignorance is not an excuse.

Perkins may not have known what was happening, but because he is over the ticket office and something illegal was happening in the ticket office, it ultimately falls on Perkins to know what is going on in all areas of KU athletics that was his job to know.

Micky Baker 7 years, 2 months ago

It wasn't Perkins who was ignorant of the law. If you hold people accountable who aren't the ones that violated the law, what's the purpose of law? We're talking about a criminal investigation vs. an private organization. Apples vs. Oranges. There is a reason I made sure to state, "Criminal Investigation".

How deep is the agenda ingrained inside you that you can't even discern that?

Doug Cramer 7 years, 2 months ago

Mickey - do you REALLY find it a coincidence that Perkins retired Monday morning after Gill lost to ND State ? ? ? ? ?

Is that really Gray-Little playing politics ?

Not only did he have a ticket scandal hanging over his head, but he also had an investigation regarding exercise equipment that he received that left his integrity out to sea. Dude you're just irrational if you put that on Gray-Little.

Micky Baker 7 years, 2 months ago

Doug, spell my name right. If you can't do that much when it's right in front of you don't reply to me ever.

Yeah, I know the ticket scandal in which people were charged with crimes and convicted of them. Do you understand how to comprehend context? You did the same thing when I brought up the SPC and you said that you're the NWS not the SPC. The SPC is the National Weather Service.

And yes, Gray-Little was part of the problem. You know that she could have handled the situation with Mangino differently and you think that Perkins fired Mangino on his own? If he did on his own, he would not have resigned and Gill would have never been interviewed for the job.

I'm being entirely rational. Mangino could still be here today if NOT FOR GRAY-LITTLE.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 2 months ago

Have no reason to believe that BGL wanted to fire Mangino. Maybe she did, but I don't know for sure.

What we do know is Perkins was never a fan of Mangino. Mangino was in the hot seat prior to the Orange Bowl and winning the multiple Coach of the Year honors.

Once that happened, he was tied to keeping him, until some type of black swan event occurred. Perkins got what he wanted, and didn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

As far as your SPC and NWS stuff...I'm having a hard time following you on that, and really don't know what you're saying.

Regardless, I've never heard anyone blame BGL for Mangino's forced resignation.

Robert Brown 7 years, 2 months ago

Zenger's number one priority has always been football and in that category, his grade is unsatisfactory. It is nice that some of the other programs are doing well, but football and basketball pay the bills.

It is also laughable that Zenger had anything to do with stablizing the Big 12 conference. He did not move KU to another conference because no other conference was interested in KU. The only thing he could do was support the stabilization of the Big 12 and hope that OU and UT would decide to stay. It has worked out great, but not because of anything he did..

Maybe Weis will pay off, but is currently does not look good. It was definitely a risky hire on Zenger's part. We paid too much salary and a huge majority of the pundits through it was a bad hire.

Brian Zachary 7 years, 2 months ago

It's laughable to think that he didn't either. Just because he wasn't in front of the camera like OU and UT certainly didn't mean he sat with his hands in pockets. For all the complaints that other BigXII schools have done about the UT network, KU was the first to align its network with them. KU certainly has made a pretty penny in its third tier rights. That doesn't happen by accident.

Robert Brown 7 years, 2 months ago

I did not say he played his hand poorly. There wasn't a lot he could do except work behind the scenes and hope the conference stood together. But the ADs at KSU, Baylor and ISU all did the same thing.

Hopefully, OU and UT ultimately were the schools that kept the conference together. If they decided to leave, it is likely that KU is in some modified version of the Big East/AAC.

Micky Baker 7 years, 2 months ago

If Texas would have left 2 or 3 years ago, the Big XII would be better off for it. UT's arrogance is backfiring on them in a big way. The Longhorn Network isn't even available in most of Texas. They forgot that there are other schools like Texas Tech, TCU, A&M, and Houston had some pretty good success a couple of seasons ago, and those markets weren't going to cooperate with UT. They weren't as big and bad as they thought they were.

Colorado, Nebraska, Mizzou, and A&M wouldn't have left and we would have still picked up TCU. The conference wouldn't need Texas. In retrospect, UT should have never been invited into the league when the Big 8/ Southwest Conference merged. UT just about destroyed the Big XII.

With that said, I do not have a problem with KU's restructuring of it's TV deals. What needs to happen now is for the cable companies in Kansas to pick up the network even if it means including it in a separate package for say $2.99 per month. It can show everything KU, not just football. That includes baseball, women's basketball, track and field, soccer, etc. If Kansas get's 500K viewers at various times across a state with right at 2.3 million people(give or take a couple 100K), it would be a success for the fans and the school.

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 2 months ago

Well, as much as I miss everyone getting along in every article. I will not be on for awhile, which some of you may not miss because of that military thing for awhile. Good luck everyone, and just remember things could be worse.

Austin Lopez 7 years, 2 months ago

Kansas needs to recruit High School Players! But most of all you need to know what type of system you want to run before you recruit, at this point it seems like Charlie Weis doesn't know what type of system he wants to run! When you get a system in place you recruit players that fit that system, it seems like Charlie is just recruiting players to recruit them, recruit players that fit the system not players that are better than players that fit the system, that's how Kansas and Auburn are so great, they recruit JuCo players but they don't recruit the best JuCo players if they don't fit there system. Auburn goes after JuCo players but they made it to last years championship game because they found players that FIT THE SYSTEM! Nick Marshal wasn't a top QB coming out the JuCo ranks! What made him and Auburn so good? Because he fit the system!

Austin Lopez 7 years, 2 months ago

Kansas needs to recruit High School Players! But most of all you need to know what type of system you want to run before you recruit, at this point it seems like Charlie Weis doesn't know what type of system he wants to run! When you get a system in place you recruit players that fit that system, it seems like Charlie is just recruiting players to recruit them, recruit players that fit the system not players that are better than players that fit the system, that's how Kansas State and Auburn are so great, they recruit JuCo players but they don't recruit the best JuCo players if they don't fit there system. Auburn goes after JuCo players but they made it to last years championship game because they found players that FIT THE SYSTEM! Nick Marshal wasn't a top QB coming out the JuCo ranks! What made him and Auburn so good? Because he fit the system!