Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Diallo to visit Kansas soon

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Cheick Diallo, a 6-foot-9 senior center from Our Savior New American High in Centereach, New York, will meet with Kentucky coach John Calipari today, a day before Diallo begins his weekend recruiting visit to Kansas University, Zagsblog.com reports.

Diallo, who is ranked No. 6 in the Class of 2015 by Rivals.com, will visit Iowa State on Sept. 26 and St. John’s on Oct. 18. He’s already visited Kentucky officially. Pitt and St. John’s are also on his list.

The Lexington Herald-Leader points out that Diallo is close to new Kentucky assistant Barry “Slice” Rohrssen, who recruited Diallo a year for Pitt before joining Calipari’s staff in May.

The paper says that less than a week after Rohrssen was introduced at UK, the Wildcats offered Bamako, Mali native Diallo a scholarship.

“He speaks a little bit of French,” Diallo told the Herald-Leader, “and French is my first language.”

Diallo did jokingly stress the “little bit” part, adding, “he’s not really good.”

Self visits Rabb: KU coach Bill Self and assistant Kurtis Townsend on Tuesday visited No. 7-rated Ivan Rabb, a 6-9, 210-pound senior forward from Bishop O’Dowd High in Oakland, California.

O’Dowd coach Lou Richie told Jayhawkslant.com that coaches from California, Arizona, Georgetown and North Carolina will visit soon.

“Coach Self said if Ivan comes to Kansas, he will definitely be a player that is on the floor and could help them tremendously with his shot-blocking ability. Conversely, coach Self said Ivan’s ability to face up and play more facing the basket are things he can help him improve on as a player,” Richie said.

Rabb has yet to set up a visit to KU, but two of his friends — a baseball player and women’s basketball player at O’Dowd — will be visiting KU the weekend of the Oct. 10 Late Night in the Phog, Richie told Jayhawkslant.com.

On Wednesday night, Self was to visit with No. 19-ranked Tyler Dorsey, a 6-4 shooting guard from Maranatha High in Pasadena, California.

Comments

Brett McCabe 7 years, 1 month ago

Holy cow. Gary....here's a question...is there a top-20 recruit Self hasn't visited? I usually don't pay a lot of attention to the recruiting trips/visits but it seems like Self is in on just about everybody this year. Or is that just my perception?

Robert Brock 7 years, 1 month ago

Self hasn't visited Diamond Stone. Pity.

Joe Baker 7 years, 1 month ago

Pity Self hasn't visited Stone or pity that Stone removed KU from his list 2-3 mos ago or both?

Gary Bedore 7 years, 1 month ago

I'll have to check but I think except for the No. 1 kid, Ben Simmons, who committed to LSU a long time ago, KU at some point was on the lists of the rest of the top 10 and more in the top 15.

Brianna Zaleski 7 years, 1 month ago

Was Drake or Rhianna there w Cal? How many NBA scouts were there?... Calipari = scum of the Earth

Gerry Butler 7 years, 1 month ago

well here is a random thought. just my own personal gut feeling, which normally isn't worth a hill of beans but i'll say anyways I just have this gut feeling that Carlton Bragg is our's for the taking if we are seriously after him, which obviously we are. I have had a strong feeling for him and just keeps getting stronger every time I read something on him, also call me crazy but I also feel we MAY have a little better chance then what some people think at land the Zimmerman kid from Las Vegas, still maybe a long shot but I think our chances are getting better all the time. at one point felt pretty good about Diallo but less confident now. like I said who knows but IF and again I said IF I were a betting person I just think Bragg is ours for the taking. GO HAWKS

Jack Wilson 7 years, 1 month ago

Carlton Bragg should be our absolute, no doubt, number one priority. He is perfection for a coach Self coached team. Top 20 talent. And better yet, not a presumed OAD.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm sorry but unless Cal passes on a player first we have almost no chance to recruit someone that he wants. His record on getting to the final four is better the last 10 years, on being drafted in the NBA, his campus experience (housing especially) is better, and you have a chance to play with some of the best talent every year at every position. They have a very nice story to tell with tradition too. Until he pushes back from the table we just cannot compete. With Sean Miller out west, Mike K, John B. and now K Ollie in the East, it has never been more competitive for talent. Heck Bruce Pearl is making a nice splash at Auburn. I wish we would sign somebody but until Cal is done with who he wants we have to face the fact that we have to wait. It sucks to acknowledge that but it is true.

Shannon Gustafson 7 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, that held true last year when we got Wiggins and Cal was pissed about it right?

Greg Ledom 7 years, 1 month ago

Go back to your ol Kentucky home Rod where you belong. Self doesn't have to wait for anything, let alone grease-bag Cal.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 1 month ago

Shannon Cal had no place for Wiggins by the time Wiggins was ready to choose a school, they both knew that, and since his team made it to the championship game of the NCAA I think he was fine on missing out on Wiggins. Greg I am sorry I hit a nerve with you, the truth does that, but if you think Cal does not have first choice can you explain his class rankings the last 10 years with recruiting? No, I didn't think so. Cal gets first choice unless the recruit chooses another school for family or PT reasons. If you are a top talent it makes sense, not a lot of downside to choosing KY. It sucks but if you don't think its that way you are kidding the man in the mirror. If you take your "homer" cap off Greg and face facts it is hard to argue with history. Plus buddy if I was from KY why would I be complaining about it? I am not talking who is the better coach, or better record, I am talking about recruiting.

Leon Trotter 7 years, 1 month ago

Might want to consult Oubre as well. In fact...Cal whiffed on a ton of guys last year. (The Duke kids, Mudiay, Stanley Johnson)

Make any statement you like about why Wiggins ended up here, but the fact remains...he ended up here. Along with 2 other top 15 recruits. And another 2 top 10 kids coming in this season (And a crazy high upside kid from Europe.) Yes, the recruiting landscape is ultra competitive but if you don't think Self is right in the middle of all of it you are way too glass is half empty.

Top recruiters right now: 1. Calipari 2. Coach K (I'm not looking that name up) 3. Self

Rodney Crain 7 years, 1 month ago

Leon you have no idea what you are talking about. So I will be brief, to not embarass yourself in the future it's Cal, Coach K, Sean M, Rick P., John B., then Self. We get very few of the guys we really want. See the extremely long list of guards the last few years who we whiffed on. Also Svi as Self himself has said they knew nothing about, fell into our laps. Heck we could not even use the scholarships we have this year.

Leon Trotter 7 years, 1 month ago

You are way too close to this situation. Go take a look at the list of players that the rest of those coaches have missed on. (Seriously...go look) The lists are every bit as long as ours. Step back. Take a deep breath. Everything is going to be just fine.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 1 month ago

Typical reply from somebody who prefers no one, and I mean no one, say anything remotely negative about our team, or coaches. All of those coaches I listed have Top 70 talent that have committed, go look yourself! ESPN, Rivals, whatever recruiting service you want to check, guess what it is true. It is not the miss'es that are concerning it is that out of the top talent left we have zero recruits. There are 39 of the TOP 70 committed 52%, and 6 out of the Top 20 30% left. Knowing Cal will need 3-6 more recruits, the pickings that are left is not going to be our choice, but taking what is left. I have never been in a state of panic, but it sure is concerning. You probably said the same thing, "Everything is going to be just fine" when we obviously had PG concerns, when Joel went down, and probably right after we went 2 out 7 during our last 7 games while losing to a double digit seed.

Leon Trotter 7 years, 1 month ago

Be as negative as you like. My issue is with your preemptive complaints about hypothetical recruiting failures for the next class. Its September. If we get to the start of the late signing period and there are no commits...feel free to crank up the angst.

Rodney Crain 7 years ago

Aww Leon I am sorry. Let me try this one more time. By the time we get to the late signing period it will be too late. Preemptive??? Hypothetical??? My point is actual buddy see actual facts above! We have no one committed while just about everyone else that gets top talent does. Stay with me here, that is my real concern. You are being hypothetical. If you take your crimson colored glasses off you might be able to see what I am talking about.

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 1 month ago

Bonnie Henrickson helped us get Cliff Alexander, maybe she can help out with Rabb as well?

Scott Yessen 7 years, 1 month ago

I agree about Bragg but would also love a rim protector. Not sure there is one in this class though.

Scott Yessen 7 years, 1 month ago

I dont like the pic of Bragg and Cal....at all.

Joseph Bullock 7 years, 1 month ago

I agree with Gerry and Jack. I also think we get Bragg, and he would be a perfect fit. I also think we have a great chance for Zimmerman. That would be sweet. I would also like to get Dorsey!