Duke defeats Kansas, 41-3

• 2:30 p.m., Sept. 13, 2014
  • Durham, N.C.,

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Embarrassing’ road trip

Jayhawks bedeviled at Duke

A somber bench of Kansas receivers including Nick Harwell (8) lament the 41-3 loss to Duke with minutes remaining during the fourth quarter on Saturday, Sept. 13, 2013 at Wallace Wade Stadium in Durham, North Carolina.

KEEGAN RATINGS

CB Shepherd stands out for KU

Podcast episode

Spodcasters

KU coach Charlie Weis following team's latest blowout loss

KU coach Charlie Weis following team's latest blowout loss

Download podcast

— The more things change, the more they stay the same for the Kansas University football team, which, once again, found itself looking like a sumo wrestler in a sand volleyball match during Saturday's 41-3 loss to Duke at Wallace Wade Stadium.

As often has been the case during the past few seasons, the Jayhawks (1-1) looked punchless on offense and consistently put their defense onto the field not only with the hope of trying to stop an opponent but also, in a very real way, burdened with the responsibility of finding a way to score.

It never happened. Instead, the Jayhawks, under the direction of new offensive coordinator John Reagan and new quarterback Montell Cozart (11-of-27 passing, 89 yards, 2 interceptions) looked an awful lot like the Jayhawks of old, struggling to three-and-out after three-and-out on offense and watching the Blue Devils (3-0) rack up 511 yards, 41 points, 20 completions and a 9.2 yards-per-carry average against the overworked Kansas defense.

In other words, wash, rinse and repeat.

After the game, KU coach Charlie Weis rattled off a laundry list of concerns. From the passing game and point total to stopping the run and more. Weis made it clear that the Jayhawks have a lot of work to do to become competitive.

“My biggest concern is accountability from me right on down,” he said. “Because if everyone doesn't accept accountability then you're not gonna fix the problem very easily.”

The Jayhawks never appeared to get themselves into what many believed was a winnable and crucial game. They fell behind 17-0 before they even knew what hit them.

On the Jayhawks' first play from scrimmage, the snap sailed right by Cozart's left shoulder, a la Denver's Peyton Manning in last season's Super Bowl, and, much like the Broncos in that one, Kansas never recovered.

“The first play set the tone,” said Weis, acknowledging that he did not know if Cozart or center Keyon Haughton was to blame for the miscue. “It wasn't even the first quarter, it was the first play, and that was the biggest disappointment.”

The reason? Because that's what the Jayhawks emphasized all week. They wanted to start fast and finish strong.

“We didn't do too well at either of those,” Weis said.

Saturday's loss, in front of a crowd of 25,203, extended KU's streak of losses away from Lawrence to 28 games.

Despite settling down and keeping the game within reach into the third quarter, — as Weis said, “Halftime wasn't panic mode” — the knockout punch officially came during the Blue Devils' second drive of the second half.

Aided by a couple of key Kansas penalties and a steady blend of runs and passes, Duke QB Anthony Boone (19-of-33, 180 yards, 2 touchdowns) marched the Duke offense down the field for a 80-yard drive that spanned eight plays and a game-long 4:01. Boone hit slot receiver Max McCaffrey from 10 yards out for his second touchdown of the game to make it 27-3.

It was a comedy of errors for the Jayhawks, who were flagged seven times, turned it over twice and even struggled to down a perfect punt from senior Trevor Pardula inside the 5-yard line, despite getting to it before it reached the end zone and having four guys in the area to cover it. In the “did-that-really-just-happen” department, the teams even lined up on wrong sides of the field for the kickoff that followed freshman running back Shaun Wilson's final touchdown.

Things got so bad that, early in the fourth quarter, Duke coach David Cutcliffe elected to go for a fourth-and-goal situation instead of tacking on a few more points. Kansas held but it hardly mattered.

Even helping Duke keep the score down proved difficult for KU, which, quite literally, watched the 5-foot-9, 180-pound freshman Wilson (12 carries, 245 yards, three touchdowns) run untouched into the end zone for a 45-yard score and the Blue Devils' final TD with just under four minutes remaining.

Wilson received the ball on the final play of the game and his eight-yard gain as time expired helped him set a Duke single-game rushing record.

“I might have been able to get 20 (yards on those plays),” Weis said. “I wouldn't have got what he got, but all they were running was inside zone.”

Saturday's postgame session with the media, with Weis and the players, was littered with comments about what should have happened and what could have happened.

“We didn't expect to lose,” senior cornerback JaCorey Shepherd said. “And we especially didn't expect to lose the way we did. We're a better team than we showed out there.”

Added senior receiver Nick Harwell, who finished with two receptions for nine yards: “I'm a little surprised. I thought we were better than that. I know we're better than that. I'd have to watch film to pinpoint where the struggles were, but as an offense we didn't play as good as we could.”

Next up is Central Michigan at home next Saturday, but Weis said the who of that equation was pretty irrelevant right now.

“That was embarrassing,” he said. “It doesn't make a difference who we play next week. The opponent isn't the issue. After a game like that, you become the issue.”

Comments

David Kemp 7 years, 1 month ago

Blah blah blah, were better, coaches take the blame, it's game over. The fan base will not support this any more. The fans won't have to leave at halftime, because they won't be there at all.

John Fitzgerald 7 years, 1 month ago

I don't have a choice ... I bought season tickets and no one is going to buy them from me Lol

Walter Bridges 7 years, 1 month ago

God bless John. I can't think of anything else to say.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 1 month ago

Won't speak for J-Ross...but I'm gladly accepting apologies from all the KU Sports / Matt Tait kool-aid drinkers who bashed my realistic opinions through the off-season. We told you to keep your expectations in check, and that this program was going in the wrong direction.

Lew Perkins made one of the biggest mistakes in D-1 athletic director history...period.

What I truly don't understand, is how Zenger, a football guy that coached under Snyder, can sit back and take this ? ? ? ? ?

The move should have been made at the end of last year. Zenger should have swallowed some pride and admitted that he made a mistake. Now Zenger must GOOOOOOOOOOO.

Lee Stanford 7 years, 1 month ago

I agree. Zenger brought in Weis and should leave with him ASAP.

Let's get an AD who understands football and can build a real football program alongside a qualified coach of his choosing.

We deserve better than this.

John Fitzgerald 7 years, 1 month ago

I don't see how you have any friends Lol seriously, why are you a ku fan? I'd rather you stop being a ku fan and leave this site than see Weis or Zenger get fired.

Lee Stanford 7 years, 1 month ago

John - I apologize for my above post.

Likewise, I forgive you for the negativity you have expressed against me in your remark.

I wish you all the best.

John Fitzgerald 7 years, 1 month ago

I directed that toward Cramer not you Lee, my bad.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 1 month ago

Brett - That would be a blast. I think all the regular posters on KU sports dot com should meet up sometime on Mass Street. Maybe Tom and Matt could join us.

Matt Tait 7 years, 1 month ago

We've talked about some meet-and-greet type of things so I'll look into it and keep you guys posted. It's cool that we can all remember, as serious as all this seems at times, it's still sports and we should all have some fun with it.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 1 month ago

Agree Matt - we have opinions...and sometimes they differ from one another. Its a lot of fun to discuss KU football no matter what our opinions are.

Mike Pressgrove 7 years, 1 month ago

Supported Charlie from the beginning but there seems to be no improvement in the program. 20+ year season ticket holder but losing faith.

David Kemp 7 years, 1 month ago

What's it gonna take for you to get angry and throw in the towel. Even Terry Allen teams were more competitive. I personally can't take it any more.

Lucas Town 7 years, 1 month ago

I didn't think Duke was going to be as good as they looked. Duke is either better than I thought or we are no where close to where we need to be. Coach Weis, How far are we from actually turning the corner?

Jason Musick 7 years, 1 month ago

Very disappointed that no one will change the non schedule football games to help a struggling football team get back on their feet. I feel somone should be fired for this. Coach Weis can be fired at the end of the season which is OK. I feel someone upstairs needs to get fired tommorow. I can't believe no one can pick 3 football games that Kansas can win in one year. KState did it back in the 80s and they were horrible and I believe Kansas can do the same thing. It was humiliating listening to the ACC commentators on tv. Someone needs to get fired and it needs to come from the top other than coach the people who are responsible for letting them play this football game.To show respect for the Kansas football team someone needs to get fired and it needs to come from the top other than coach the people who are responsible for letting them play this football game. Everytime Kansas loses like they did it sets back the program 5 years.

Al Martin 7 years, 1 month ago

With that math, we've set the program back about a century in the last four years...

Lucas Town 7 years, 1 month ago

Next year we play Memphis and at Rutgers. Weis set this up I believe. Appears to be no end in sight.

David Kemp 7 years, 1 month ago

Jesus man we barely beat. SEMO, I don't think playing Duke is unreasonable. We are not developing players. Since Manginos recruited Oline left we haven't had one good block in 3 years. Time for wholesale changes because I see this year as big step backwards.

Jason Musick 7 years, 1 month ago

in order for the football program to improve we have to win games. if you only win one game an entire year you will never have any kind of recruits at all. we need to schedule football teams that Kansas can beat. The Kansas front office has an opportunity to schedule winning games and they don't give a damn.

David Kemp 7 years, 1 month ago

Ok, last year South Dakota state, Rice,and La Tech. I would call that pretty soft. Next week Cental Michigan. These are not world beaters.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 1 month ago

Jason..We played DUKE. Not exactly known for football. I don't think we can play against JUCO teams.

Not sure we would beat Dodge City C.C.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 1 month ago

And one other thought - maybe that's why Duke scheduled us.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 1 month ago

Duke isn't known for FB, but they have stayed the course with their present coach through 5 losing season, including an FCS loss in game 1 of year 4, and now they are a 10 win team. The latter doesn't come without the former at schools without tradition, especially when playing in conferences as consistently good as the Big12.

Kip McSmithers 7 years, 1 month ago

Since you see like a big time KU football fan I'm shocked you didn't know this but yesterdays game was the second game of a home-and-home series with Duke that started back in 2009. So your wish for the axe on the ones responsible for scheduling this game have probably already been fired or moved on from KU. Why didn't Tait or Keegs point that out??

Dirk Medema 7 years, 1 month ago

It has been pointed out this week. Some just pay attention as much as they know history.

Dale Rogers 7 years, 1 month ago

Actually, this Duke game was the second half of a series that started in 2009. This one was to be played in 2010 but Duke requested a change in schedule. At the time this was to be played, Duke was a patsy. I don't think we can blame this scheduling on anyone in the current administration.

Duane S Boor 7 years, 1 month ago

To be honest I really don't think that Weis will be fired after this season. I think Zenger is to prideful to fire Weis. Not to mention it would be difficult to find a quality coach. Nobody would want this job if they knew they had 2-3 years to turn this freight train of disaster around.

David Kemp 7 years, 1 month ago

Totally understand your argument, but Weiss promised improvement and competitive fb and he has not delivered.

David Kelley-Wood 7 years, 1 month ago

A 10-point deficit would have been disappointing. This loss, which easily could have been much worse, was sickening.

Duane S Boor 7 years, 1 month ago

Couldn't agree with you more. After this performance, and looking at our remaining schedule, we go 1-11. I am interested in seeing what the Stadium will look like next week. It will have numbers for band day then after half time it will look like ghost town.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 1 month ago

Replace band day w/band-aids. Team got beat up pretty bad against ACC Powerhouse Duke.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 1 month ago

Your sentiment isn't in line with the rest of the world. Vegas (people who earn a living predicting these things) initially set the difference at 20. Lots of people were optimistic for KU, hence the drop to 14 pts by game time. A 10 pt loss would have been better than most people expected.

That being said, a loss is always disappointing.

David Kelley-Wood 7 years, 1 month ago

Me: “A 10-point deficit would have been disappointing.”

You: “Your sentiment isn't in line with the rest of the world. [Blah, blah, blah] That being said, a loss is always disappointing.”

So, if we'd lost by 10, my disappointment wouldn't have been justified, but yours would have been.

Jason Vance 7 years, 1 month ago

People will say that no one feels worse about this than Charlie Weis. I'm not sure about that. I feel really bad. I can't recall watching a more poorly played KU football game. If Cozart wasn't so athletic, he would have been sacked 10 more times. He was running for his life all day. This is not what progress looks like.

Al Martin 7 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, that's another thing. How can we be three years into this coaching administration and still not have a remotely competitive offensive line?

David Kemp 7 years, 1 month ago

True, I didn't see one good block today, but oh I can't comment til I see the game films. Don't need films to tell your butts beat and except for Pardula, very little positive other than end of game.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 1 month ago

KU went from a a run based pro style offense that emphasized zone blocking and changed to a spread offense that doesn't used zone blocking schemes. It's going to take another 2-3 years to get some OLine players for the spread offense. This is not an overnight rebuild and changing from a pro style system to a spread is a big change that will take time to get the personnel into the system. It sucks, but that's the reality no matter who the head coach is after this year.

Al Martin 7 years, 1 month ago

We changed to a system that's supposed to be easier for the offensive line, not harder. We only get any given player for four playing years. After two years of conditioning and training, they should show improvement. Period. We looked gassed against SEMO, for crying out loud, and completely outclassed by Duke.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm not saying this team is good, but it also doesn't change the players Weis has recruited for the past 2 years were for a pro style offense and not for a spread offense. There are different skills that coaches look for based on the system being run and the skills you look for in a pro style offense are different than for a spread.

A spread offense may be simpler, but Charlie Weis has not been recruiting players for a spread offense and it take another 2-3 years no matter who the head coach to get the players into KU to properly run a spread offense. Most people would agree that Mike Leach is a pretty good coach, yet he's struggling in year 3 at Washington State because it takes time to get players into a program to run a specific offensive system.

Doug Roberts 7 years, 1 month ago

I didn't get paid BIG TIME MONEY for that loss, so, yeah, I feel it more than Charlie.

Chandler Accipiter 7 years, 1 month ago

Two games in and just about what I expected. Not much else to say.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 1 month ago

Weis is the highest paid coach in college football if you go by wins. With 5 wins at KU he has made just around 1.1 million per win.

John Fitzgerald 7 years, 1 month ago

I don't feel bad for Weis... I feel bad for Benton, Tait, and Keegan. How hard is it to write an article after a really bad loss and not be belligerent? Especially if it's been the same story the past 5 years. They're the real MVP's.

David Kemp 7 years, 1 month ago

Tait has really tried to support this team,but I think even he has seen now bad coaching, bad talent, and miserable execution.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 1 month ago

Do I lose fan points for not watching the entire game? Congrats to Duke RB Wilson for best performance this week w/245 yards on 12 carries. 20 yards per carry - lol.

So is there a worse football program in the major conferences than KUs? Can we self impose the death penalty?

Dirk Medema 7 years, 1 month ago

Yes, there are worse programs than KU's, though most won't play a schedule as difficult as ours.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 1 month ago

Maybe these: Vanderbilt - Villanova - East Carolina - Temple - and Tulane from the majors but these programs (Not including Vandy and Nova) weren't even in the majors until realignment.

And to be honest, I'm not sure how we fare against any of these schools..

Steve Corder 7 years, 1 month ago

They were not ready to play. That is the responsibility of the coaches, especially the head coach. The bench photo above just about says it all. Something is really wrong inside this program, and I would not want to be around the athletic department on Sunday.

Today could have been/should have been the turning point of the program, a launch toward respectability.

WOW!

Randy Bombardier 7 years, 1 month ago

The AD did make a mistake in hiring Weis but that's not as bad as his predecessor who fired a good coach and followed up hiring a bad one. Weis is a good talker. A lot of people would do the same. One reason it was so hard for him (Zenger) is that we removed Gill after a mere two seasons. Can't do that again. Things will have to run their course. Weis will most likely get year four and possibly year five. Sad, but true. But...this could hellp us get someone good who won't feel like he's ts king a chance on us instead of the other way around.

Nathan Scholl 7 years, 1 month ago

I was called an idiot two days ago by a poster named Mo Golany for a Spodcasters over under prediction podcast for picking the final score of this game to be Duke 48 Kansas 3. So sorry. I was off by a touchdown. Who's the idiot now? Charlie Weis I suppose.

Ludwig Supraphonic 7 years, 1 month ago

7 years, 1 month ago

Time to find a new AD - Zenger needs to be axed and at the same time cut Weis. The dog and pony show that these two created has clearly born no fruit. Weis is a car used salesman - sorry to you honest used car salesman. Fact is he just is a poor coach. At ND he took over great athletes - won for a period then the wheels came off. Here at KU - the athletes were not close to those at ND and Weis has yet to put a wheel on the vehicle.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 1 month ago

Zenger won't and shouldn't go. The rest of the athletic program is improving greatly.

We just lost bad to one of the best teams in another conference. Unfortunately, it will probably happen more than once more this year as we play the gauntlet that is our current schedule. Hopefully, Baylor has to play their starters for more than a half of football, and former KU recruit Seth Russell doesn't laugh at us too much.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 1 month ago

Ummm. The uniforms looked nice........... I see improvement in all three phases, helmets, jersey's, and pants. Before the kick-off we were clearly the better looking team. Just a suggestion, we line up for the kick off, forfeit, and walk off the field with our heads held high before we embarrass ourselves. We are pretty close to the first game with the orangish colored round balls right?

Doug Roberts 7 years, 1 month ago

Sweet uniforms are all that matters in this selfie era of college sports.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 1 month ago

Who is Charlie? (shhhh if we don"t talk about him maybe he will leave on his own).

Doug Roberts 7 years, 1 month ago

Charlie Weis owes half of every paycheck he cashes to Tom Brady.

Doug Roberts 7 years, 1 month ago

Charlie Weis owes half of every paycheck he cashes to Tom Brady.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 1 month ago

Didn't mean it literally..any update on the stadium?

Doug Roberts 7 years, 1 month ago

The stadium renovation blueprints have been put in a time capsule. To be opened in 2048.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 1 month ago

I'll be 89 by then but our present one was built to honor WW1 vets.. They should make it smaller so it will look like we really pack them in.

Adam Evans 7 years, 1 month ago

I was at the game. 45 yard line, 5 rows up behind KU bench. I want to drive home one major point. When did I leave my seat? When the clock said 0:00 in the 4th quarter. Yes, we as fans deserve better. Yes, this was one of the worst performances from all parties save our punter that I've seen pretty much ever (the shelacking we took from GA Tech a few years ago I would rank above this in terms of awful). But there are several things that make up a good sports team: Administration, coaching, talent/players, and the fans. As Jayhawk fans, we reserve the right to vent, rant, be mad, hurt, embarrassed, frustrated, or anything else. But we also have a responsibility. Fan support should not come once the product is competitive on the field. Fan support is an all or nothing, all the time thing. Our support can make a difference. The players see and feel it. Heeney was right to call out each person that left last week. You show up to support your team. If you can't do that, don't show up at all. I'm disgusted with today's performance. It was an atrocity to the game of football. But I am loyal to my hawks, and I will cheer them on and encourage them and take pride in that wonderful bird on their uniforms. Yes, I think Weis should go. I don't think he's the answer we need. But I love my hawks and I will express that, every game, start to finish. You're either a fan, or you're not. There's no such thing as a first half fan.

Matthew Krische 7 years, 1 month ago

I was at the game. I love KU football. Cozart is not the answer. Bless the kid but no vision, no presence, and there is dificulty finding hope. There were open receivers, he doesnt see them. Period. Cummings is no different, i've seen him play. Bring in Millweard. We need a thrower not a runner. No player that doesnt get it at a younger age just automatically gets it at an older age. Reesing was arguably better as a sophomore than jr or sr. You have it or you dont. Two words. Mark Mangino. Mark Mangino. Bring back the toughness, the will, the fight, the perseverence. I love KU, its players, and I want them to have success more than anything.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 1 month ago

Amen Matthew ! Bring Back the Big Guy !!! We want Mangino back !

Keith Richards 7 years, 1 month ago

Doug, Mangino is coming back.......with ISU and they are going to beat us 73-0.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 1 month ago

He's no Fambrough.

Do you want to bring him back so he can continue the 7 game and road losing streak he started? So many seem to still be living in 2008. Not debating whether one coach was better than another, just pointing out that the slide began in 2009.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 1 month ago

Fambrough was the coach while I was at KU. '78-'82 were tough years as even the basketball team struggled.

But at least KU steadily improved over the first 3 years under Don but then fell apart his final year. I've not seen any improvement w/Charlie at the helm.

Keith Richards 7 years, 1 month ago

If you follow Duke football, you would know they have an amazing coach and he has turned that program around. How many Duke fans were in stadium? Duke will be a top 20 team by the end of the year and they have no fan base just like KU football and yet Duke will have success this year. That being stated, it is hard to win a game when one team appears to be playing touch football and the other tackle. KU's defensive players are not wrapping up their tackles. I do not understand why KU football is so bad year after year. It's not money. KU has wasted millions on coaches, A.D.'s and player facilities. So what is it? Is it bad coaching, bad recruiting.......both? It's getting old guys. My family has had season tickets since 1972. Watching decades of KU losing 63-0 to Nebraska and OU was painful but we always had fun. Back in the day, the stadium was 70% full and hill was a sea of people. KU eliminated the hill and started policing the tailgaters. KU football is not fun anymore. As fans, we stomached the dismal teams over the years because the tailgating was fun but once the fun was removed by KU so they could make more money, there is nothing left. If you want fans and students to pay and watch a horribly coached team for a full four quarters, you better find a way to bring the fun back for the fans.

David Kemp 7 years, 1 month ago

Losing is not fun PERIOD! Yes we have weathered bad football but spattered in there was always a decent year here or there. I see nothing to indicate that. Rebuild with kids from Midwest who have pride in kansas and this university. Stand for something or get crushed for nothing.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 1 month ago

Duke also stuck with their coach when he followed a 3-9 third year performance with an FCS loss. And it's not like their 4 and 5 win season (against an ACC schedule) was particularly promising. Fortunately, they were patient enough to make it to a 6 win year 5 in order to make it to a 10 win year 6. Fat chance that kind of patience happens here.

Danny Hernandez 7 years, 1 month ago

If we fire a coach after 2 or 3 years, no coach in his right mind will take the job. I posted this yesterday and it bears repeating. Duke's coach in his 4th & 5th year had back-to-back 3-9 seasons in 2010 and 2011. Duke's 2012 team had a 6–7 record, Cutciffe's 6th year at Duke. It takes time to develop an Offensive Line and ours is a work in progress. And our qb situation needs help. It may take the entire year for Cozart to develop. Mangino left the cupboard bare and though GIll recruited some very good players, they're all 2 star with a sprinkling of 3 stars.
Mike Leach is 1-2 in his 3rd year & Weiss is .500

Dirk Medema 7 years, 1 month ago

Absolutely true about the patience at Duke.

As for KU and recruiting, the cupboards were sparse, but former coach actually recruited fairly well. Unfortunately, lots of what was left in the cupboard and what was recruited after the previous change left in the coaching change (50% of the upperclassmen). It is the reason for the need to recruit JC's so heavily in the first classes. Unfortunately, too many have not panned out, though there are still lots that have.

Greg Lux 7 years, 1 month ago

Maybe we should try a slimmer football Coach. :)

Mike Barnhart 7 years, 1 month ago

Zenger chose CW out of the blue in 2011. His other options were: Larry Fedora - 15-10 at NC, Mike Leach - took Wash St to bowl last year, Mike Stoops - Kentucky took Florida to OT yesterday, Sonny Dykes - Cal is 2-0, Gus Malzon - AUBURN and the odds on favorite at the time was Dave Doren 6-9 in 2 years at NC STATE!

We got Charlie!

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 1 month ago

Has occurred to you that maybe those coaches turned KU down because they offers from better programs that paid in the same range as KU? Dave Dorren might be the only of those coaches KU had a realistic chance at landing.

Bob Bailey 7 years, 1 month ago

Adam Evans -- can trace the Evans line of my family to pre-1776 in Pittsburg. Hadn't heard from you about coaching being horrible all season. Maybe we're both related to Ray Evans, a hero in my KU days.

Please y'all, don't criticize Weis for recruiting. He and Campo have done as good a job as KU can get with our past 5 years. The problem is How to use them once they get here.

Worst problem for 4 years is DC. That and Zenger can'tdoesn't recognize poor coaching. Haven't taught tackling and coverage for at least 4 years. Our DC has the Defense backfield out of position clear back to his days under Mangino. The changes may yet prove helpful before the end of the year. Maybe Weis and Campo should help with recruiting for a couple more years.

Zenger has to go quick. Get a good one now so he can evaluate our coaching.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 1 month ago

In all seriousness, based on leadership, organizational skills, work ethic, wise delegation of authority, motivational skills and ability to recruit, I truly believe, right now, Bill Self could do just as good or better a coaching job of the football team than the current staff.

Please feel free to blast me out of the water if you feel I am totally off base.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 1 month ago

Coach Self is amazing for all the non-BB skills. Obviously, we will never know, but not off base at all to recognize elite coaching involves far more than x's & o's.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 1 month ago

Jim Burns 7 years, 1 month ago

For everyone pimping the return of Mangino, you are remembering only the glory of the Orange Bowl and forgetting he was fired for cause, his last team started 5-0 and collapsed to 5-7 reportedly because the team quite on him, and he left the cupboard bare, seemingly resting on his Orange Bowl laurels, which didn't improve recruiting as much as hoped. Mangino got results, but he made his own bed and he is not coming back.

What's Glen Mason doing?

Doug Cramer 7 years, 1 month ago

Mangino was fired because Perkins wanted to hire a football coach.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 1 month ago

Quite a statement...but quitting on the coach also means quitting on yourself and the school. I believe those guys had too much respect for the institution,fans, themselves to just quit. What I do believe is that expectations were too high and there was not as much talent. I also believe we would have won a lot more games since his removal if he had stayed.

John Fitzgerald 7 years, 1 month ago

I say we pull out all the stops and hire Santa Claus ...

Dirk Medema 7 years, 1 month ago

Are you sure he was fired for cause? Seems to me there were allegations, but ultimately not enough for cause, and hence the separation agreement that paid him to do nothing for 2 years.

I doubt that anyone was resting on laurels or anything else. It seems to me that the word got out regarding the atmosphere in the program that sent Coach Young and others running when given the opportunity. Remember the guy that went to FL to "retire" only to return to OK when given a chance.

Bob Bailey 7 years, 1 month ago

From a coaching point of view, Mangino's biggest mistake was (probably) playing Reesing when he was injured. Should have given him a year off to redshirt him for injury. No one has admitted it, including Reesing. It is the only logical explanation of those last 7 losses.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 1 month ago

Reesing didn't get hurt until game 6 of the season, he wouldn't have been eligible for a medical redshirt.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 1 month ago

Todd was also graduating and moving on to a successful financial career. There weren't realistic NFL expectations that would have had him staying around for another year.

You're also forgetting the articles that quoted a very disgruntled QB, and the follow-up article that quoted the HC as saying that he would not (be a leader for the team and) talk to his disgruntled O leader. That is the snap shot on the MM demise, and why he won't be allowed back as long as anyone has a memory for more that scoreboards.