Friday, September 5, 2014

Mykhailiuk has 3 in Ukraine’s loss

Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk of Ukraine competes during the U16 Eurobasket 2013 first-round match between Ukraine and Latvia at Palace of Sport in Kiev, Ukraine, on Aug. 8, 2013.

Kansas University freshman shooting guard Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk scored three points off 1-of-4 shooting (1-of-2 from three) while playing 11 minutes in Ukraine’s 95-71 loss to the United States in FIBA World Cup play on Thursday in Spain.

The 6-foot-8 Mykhailiuk had two rebounds and two turnovers in 11 minutes in a game that eliminated Ukraine (2-3).

Mykhailiuk played in four of the five games. He scored seven points off 2-of-11 shooting. He was 1-of-6 from three and 2-of-5 from the free-throw line. He had five rebounds, two assists, six turnovers, one steal and four fouls.

Earlier in the summer, he averaged 16.0 points and 4.7 rebounds a game for Ukraine’s Under 18 European championship team, which placed second overall.

KU coach Bill Self said Thursday that Mykhailiuk likely would arrive at KU “sometime next week.”

Merv, Compton at Texas school: Former KU forward Merv Lindsay, who played one year at KU and one at New Mexico, has transferred to Texas Wesleyan in Fort Worth, Texas.

The 6-foot-7 Lindsay has two years of eligibility remaining. He will be immediately eligible at the NAIA Div. I school.

“For the record, I spoke to no one about my decision. It was a leap of faith type deal for me. I’m still trying to reach my ultimate goal (of being a major factor on college level),” Lindsay said in a text message to the Journal-World. “I put nothing in the media about leaving New Mexico. I just went. I turned 21 on Aug. 7 and made my first major decision of my adult life.”

Meanwhile, former KU basketball manager and Free State High guard Douglas Compton will join Lindsay on the Texas Wesleyan team. Compton arrives as a junior guard playing his first year of college basketball.

“Doug Compton is on the team first year. I am forever connected to KU,” Lindsay added in a text message.

Compton is happy to be playing hoops with buddy Lindsay.

“It’s more than fun. We remained good friends when he left Kansas, so it’s been a blast,” Compton said in a text message.

Rankings: Thon Maker, a 7-foot junior center from Carlisle School in Martinsville, Virginia, who has KU on his list of schools, has moved from No. 3 to No. 1 in Rivals.com’s newest rankings for the Class of 2016.

Several other KU targets remain in the rankings. Harry Giles, a 6-10 center from Wesleyan Christian Academy in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, remained No. 2. Josh Jackson, a 6-6 shooting guard from Consortium College Prep, Detroit, moved from No. 1 to 3.

Jayson Tatum, a 6-7 shooting guard from Chaminade High in St. Louis, remained No. 4; Dennis Smith, a 6-2 point guard from Trinity Christian in Fayetteville, N.C., stayed No. 5; and Malik Monk, a 6-3 combo guard from Bentonville (Arkansas) High, remained No. 6. Terrance Ferguson, a 6-6 wing from Prime Prep Academy in Dallas, improved two spots from No. 10 to 8. Kobi Simmons, a 6-5 combo guard from St. Francis School in Alpharetta, Georgia, improved from No. 15 to 12. Tyus Battle, a 6-5 combo guard from Gill St. Bernards in Gladstone, N.J., improved from No. 25 to 16.

Comments

Robert Brock 3 years, 2 months ago

It doesn't look like Svi will play much this season. Hope he sticks around.

Rodney Crain 3 years, 2 months ago

He looked his age against Team USA that's for sure. He got his pocket picked his first touch, but at least he hit a 3. Announcers mentioned KU a lot in the broadcast. Mentioned Langford, Self, Svi, how we reloaded and will be a very good team this year. Lots of Love.

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 2 months ago

With him coming in so late and being so young I don't see a lot of quality minutes this year. I am certain Self will pick his spots when to put Svi in games. It is safe to say he is really raw, but hopefully he will stay up to 3 years and develop his game and his body for a chance at the pros.

Walter Bridges 3 years, 2 months ago

Agree...winning the 18 under MVP and then playing NBA talent has surely ruined his game.

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 2 months ago

Lol. Just saying he doesn't know our system, and his teammates. Let's face it, Euro isn't known for great defense. He had to adjust to being at KU.

Jay Beakum 3 years, 2 months ago

2-11 and 1-6 from three. There’s that amazing shooting ability everybody keeps talking about.

I’m kidding. He was clearly out of his element against that competition. No way I’m holding that against him. Chalk it up as good experience. Now get to Larryville and begin your Hudy transformation!

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 2 months ago

Since he recently turned 17 his body and game are still growing. Hudy to the rescue!

John Randall 3 years, 2 months ago

Whether his remaining overseas to take his lumps playing way beyond his level was in any way a good decision is now a moot point. I'm glad this is behind him and eager to see how much, how fast, he takes advantage of the great opportunity the program at KU offers him. Having him in the training room and on the practice court should be a plus for everyone involved, but probably not immediately.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 2 months ago

Since this was the first look at Mykhailiuk, I replayed every second he was on the court several times. In addition to being burned badly with the two picks and was blown by a few times.

However, the kid plays with a lot of heart, has a good handle and release on his shot. My expectations have totally changed and believe he will pleasantly surprise everyone. He will get PT this year and after a year with Self in the Kansas system he will emerge as a major, maybe 1st team All American, star.

The kid has talent with the guts and heart for the game. A taller version of Frankamp.

Rodney Crain 3 years, 2 months ago

Whoa, I thought I was the glass half empty guy on here? He is a 17 year old playing against top pros. It was a good experience shows him how far he has to go too. I agree he will need some time to adjust at KU, but of all the things we have seen, he does not shy away from any challenges.. I would be surprised if he leaves after a few months. Lawrence is a safe place for him to work on his game. He held his own in the U18 tournament held before this one.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 2 months ago

No doubt it could go the way you described. I've felt all along being in Lawrence would have been much better for him. Also, the some of his teammates may perceive he has received special treatment, which is always problematic. It will be even more problematic if Self gives him quality PT in Nov and December over someone like Greene or even Oubre.

I suspect he'll sit on the bench alot in Nov/Dec and Self makes him earn his PT, like everyone else. I'm hoping he sticks out the first couple of months to let Self and Hudy help him out.

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm not sure about him leaving mid season, but the fact he's missed school, doesn't know his teammates and has no familiarity of our system bothers me. I can see if he doesn't get major playing time that he heads home after this year to play Euro ball.

Walter Bridges 3 years, 2 months ago

lol...Sarcasm right? Winning the under 18 MVP probably contributed to his waddle.

Alan Mills 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't understand most of the posts here. I'm probably not very smart, or just missing something. If this kid couldn't play, would Coach Self have wasted time bringing him to Kansas? I doubt it. And, now that he's in Lawrence, he is as much a part of the team as anyone, so certainly cannot imagine it would be "problematic" for anyone if he played 40 minutes a game from day 1. I doubt that happens, but this kid arrives on the court with as much if not more experience, and some at a higher level, than most of the players on the current roster. Perhaps everyone is being sarcastic with their posts. If not, it is sad that so many have written this kid off before he even steps on the court in Allen Field House.