Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Scot Pollard’s nephew joining KU as walk-on

Former Kansas player Scot Pollard, center, jokes with a game official before the start of the second half, Saturday, Dec. 12, 2009 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self announced Wednesday that guard Josh Pollard has joined the program as a walk-on.

Pollard will be a freshman, eligibility-wise, for the 2014-15 season.

A native Cedar Hills, Utah, and nephew of former KU men’s basketball standout Scot Pollard, Josh Pollard graduated from Orem High in Orem, Utah, in 2012. The 6-foot-4 guard then served a two-year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Los Angeles before enrolling at KU.

“Josh comes from the Pollard family we all know and love and is going to be a walk-on for us,” Self said in a press release. “He was a good high school player and I told him he would definitely have the opportunity to work out with our team. We’re excited to have him. We really don’t (know) at what level he will be a contributor but he’ll have an opportunity like everyone else. I’m looking forward to seeing how he reacts to guys that have been involved with our program the last couple of years. I know he’s excited to be a part of it.”

While at Orem, Pollard, the lone senior on the team, led the Tigers to their first 4A state title in 2012, while averaging 8.8 points and 6.2 rebounds and 4.7 assists per game, with 12 blocked shots and 54 steals.

After winning just seven games the previous season, Orem went 24-1 in 2011-12 and Pollard earned all-region and all-state honors and was the Utah Valley Defensive Player of the Year.

Pollard, who has four brothers and three sisters, comes from an athletic family that includes his uncle, Scot, who following KU played 11 seasons in the NBA. Both his grandfather, Pearl Pollard, and his father, Alan, played basketball while in college. His grandfather played at Utah in the 1950s and his father at BYU and USC in the 1980s. He also is the nephew of former BYU quarterback (2000-01) Brandon Doman.

Comments

Andy Hess 2 weeks, 3 days ago

THIS guy is a Pollard? Tell me he's not blood-related.

THIS guy is a Pollard? Tell me he's not blood-related. by swishymcjayhawk

Andy Hess 2 weeks, 2 days ago

For the record, I'm not badmouthing him. I just think he'd fit the name better if he ditched the cleancut look and got some muttonchops or a mohawk or something.

Walter Bridges 2 weeks, 1 day ago

I'll take the hustle and defense over the mutton chops and fingernail polish anyday!

John Randall 2 weeks, 2 days ago

For a guy with his mission over, so many athletic relatives, I'm not going to be the one telling how to dress and groom himself.
If his defensive POY is an indication, he may very well log a few minutes in the early games.

Aaron Paisley 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Last 5 minutes of games KU is up 30+ in will be the extent of his PT.

Walter Bridges 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Exactly what I expected from Morningstar.

Dirk Medema 2 weeks, 2 days ago

My guess is that there are light years between Utah HS DPOTY and D1, much less Self-ball, especially after 2 years out of competition. My guess is that he will be catching up for most of the first year, but that's fine. He'll be a nice addition to the Coaches' Kids squad. Didn't they lose one to graduation recently?

Adam Tyler 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Random question...

Is he the son of Neal Pollard, who is Scots brother?

Neal was a monster of a man who played basketball at Washburn University around the same time as Scot was at KU.

Just curious if anyone has the answer.

Aaron Paisley 2 weeks, 1 day ago

It says in the article his dad is Alan Pollard

Adam Tyler 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Thanks.

I can see that now.

That piece of info wasnt in the article when I originally posted.

Greg Lux 2 weeks, 2 days ago

I would be willing to bet right now, not knowing much about his offensive side, that this young man is part of the rotation by his junior or senior year. Defense is a gift and a gift that HCBS loves. If he is truly that good defensively and can improve he has a great chance as he matures at KU. Welcome to Jayhawk Nation Josh... have fun, work hard and good thing will come. You chose the right school to attend and you will be a part of the best family in the world for the rest of your life.

Jack Wilson 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Greg -- you said, "I would be willing to bet right now, not knowing much about his offensive side, that this young man is part of the rotation by his junior or senior year."

This is perhaps the most outrageous, predictable and comical post (all in one) that I have seen here, at least since the last walk-on or unranked player was added to our roster. I can't even fathom it.

Greg, if you weren't quite awake, if your wife posted this for you, if you thought you were posting on the Canisius website, or if you had a little too much whiskey with you coffee; ok, no worries. But if not, God help us all.

Walter Bridges 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Stop beating around the bush and tell us what you really think Jack!

I could be wrong but wasn't Kevin Young unranked coming out of HS in '07?

Rodney Crain 2 weeks, 2 days ago

LOL, Greg, really? Come on Man, really?

Ron Prichard 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Come on guys, cut Greg some slack. I'm sure he meant this as a joke. Right, Greg? Right...? I'm on your side, Greg....just here to help....

Steve Kubler 2 weeks, 2 days ago

A walk on that has a history of being a great defender is a nice pickup. Not for game time but on the practice squad making the starters work just a bit harder and get just a bit better. If he is good enough to get some minutes time to time that is just a sweet bonus for both him and the program.

That being said, if he has the work ethic Scott did I can see him getting some time later on based on pure effort.

Walter Bridges 2 weeks, 1 day ago

And it doesn't hurt the graduation rates.

Joseph Leon 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Look, it's not like Greg is the president of the United States. It's not like any random comment he makes is going to initiate some global conflagration. If he wants to be upbeat about this lovely kid's future, then let them!

Rodney Crain 2 weeks ago

If you are kidding, this is in poor taste, if you are serious, you might want to brush up on The Bill of Rights Bryce. Before the 1st amendment talks about Free Speech it talks about the Free exercise of religion. If you think I am lecturing you are correct, I am.