Monday, October 6, 2014

Chicago prep to visit for Late Night

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Marcus LoVett, a 5-11 senior point guard from Chicago’s Morgan Park High, will attend Friday’s Late Night in the Phog on an official recruiting visit, Rivals.com reports. Lovett is ranked No. 90 in the recruiting Class of 2015. He’s also considering Indiana, UCLA and others.

Comments

Jack Wilson 7 years, 3 months ago

Right, we're not in on any top PGs now for 2015. Dorsey is the closest thing, but he's a SG that wants to play point (aren't they all?).

Actually, Self might be hedging against a possible transfer, too ... the odd man out in the Mason, CF, Graham battle could bolt. Probably only room for two of them in the rotation.

Travis Clementsmith 7 years, 3 months ago

LoVett's value is on the defensive side. Rankings are determined by offensive production. It may not be as much of a hedge as you think.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 3 months ago

Rankings are not determined solely by offensive production. Who ever told you that? That's just a part of the equation.

Good lord. Here we go. This must be one of those real sly, diamond in the rough, underrated guys that Bill Self has masterfully zeroed in on.

I think it's a hedge, a safety net, a back up plan. That doesn't mean he might not be a fine player. But he isn't a first, second, or third, that's pretty obvious.

Self has to make sure we have options.

Travis Clementsmith 7 years, 3 months ago

I believe "solely" was your added word, not mine. If you don't believe offensive output gains the lion's share of attention, then I don't know what to say. I understand, rankings take a composite of skills, athletic measurables visibility and heart, but the output of them gains the most attention through offensive production. Sure, some will get a good reputation as a rebounder or a defensive specialist, and of course, the taller you are, the higher your ranking goes. But GENERALLY speaking, your ranking is reflective of your ability to score and put pressure on the opposing defense. Sorry, didn't mean to piss in your Cheerios. All I meant to convey is that he is known more for his defensive presence and that rankings often do not look as favorably upon them as offensive stars and as such, he may appeal to Self more than as just a "hedge".

Jack Wilson 7 years, 3 months ago

Yea, I added solely because you said "Rankings are determined by offensive production." That's definitive. And incorrect. That's not, "Rankings are in large part determined by offensive production."

Your response is odd. If you get offended by responses to your posts, then you might reconsider posting. Part of the discourse is that folks may disagree, and may point out inaccuracies. You made a very clear and incorrect statement. I pointed that out. You agreed that your statement should have been qualified. No big deal.

But you add the "didn't mean to piss in your Cheerios" thing. That's really a reflection of you being offended because your inaccuracy was pointed out.

Travis Clementsmith 7 years, 3 months ago

I apoloize. I misinterpreted your post. I thought the "Good Lord. Here we go." was directed at me, as if to say "I can't believe I have to deal with another one of these types". After re-reading it, I see that it was not.

I think you took my post a bit too literally. I stand by the observation that defensive specialists are undervalued by the rankings system. I agree it should have been better qualified but didn't understand why you thought that is "what I've been told". Seemed a bit unnecessary to the gist of the point.

Erich Hartmann 7 years, 3 months ago

Nice that the kid is interested. Agree about the size and low ranking concern. Self best served by 6'1-6'3 guards in his PG role. Defense and hops matter. A lot. And being ranked approximately 10-50 is probably best, as our play doesn't fully do justice to all that is Self's system if we have youth without experience (OADs).

I think the OAD is a semi-political tool for Self: Always trying to get 1 a year and maybe another top20 type (like Selden and Oubre)...so there's always a recruiting buzz about the program...keeps KU as a 'here-and-now' possible destination for 5star kids (as opposed to being old news, or a has-been place).

To put it in 1 sentence: Every KU fan knows (speaking only for our play style), that if Cliff, Oubre come back for year2, they will only be better. Selden came back. And while you definitely go pro if you are the overall#1 pick, but if Wiggins came back for another year, he'd have improved also, in several ways. Just a basketball fact. Thus, I'd like to see several multi-year players as the foundation. And that means a continuous pipeline to replace departing seniors and juniors who leave early.

Erich Hartmann 7 years, 3 months ago

Now, I'd never say no to a sub-6ft MickeyD like Sherron Collins. One of the winningest Jayhawks ever, who gave it everything he had, and probably should have left early, as that would have avoided his injury-hampered senior season (for his sake).