Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Self ‘excited’ for interim football coach Bowen

Bill Self

Bill Self

Kansas University has had three head football coaches — Mark Mangino, Turner Gill and Charlie Weis — during basketball coach Bill Self’s 12 years at Kansas University.

Mangino and Gill were let go at the conclusion of the 2009 and 2011 seasons respectively. Weis was fired Sunday — four games into the (2-2) 2014 season.

“I think in any business, the head of departments are always forced to make difficult decisions. In business you are faced with dilemmas and tough decisions and certainly I know this was a tough one for our administration. But a decision was made. We need to be supportive of that decision,” Self told the Journal-World on Tuesday night.

KU and Lawrence High graduate Clint Bowen on Sunday was named interim coach for the final eight games of this season.

“I know I am very excited for Clint because obviously he is a KU guy. He’s a local guy. He has great energy and enthusiasm,” Self said. “I think it’ll hopefully pump some energy into our program. I am extremely excited for Clint and of course wish him nothing but the best of luck. I think he’ll do very very well.”

Self had a good relationship with Weis, who attended a batch of KU home basketball games, his usual seat off the north endline of James Naismith Court, next to media members.

“I feel bad for the Weis family. But I love Kansas. I want what’s best for Kansas,” Self said. “I will be very supportive of Clint and the decision that’s been made, and I hope it turns out to be a great thing. It doesn’t take away from the fact these are hard decisions. People and families are involved, and it can be very difficult. But I love Kansas and I want what’s best for Kansas.”

Honorary Kangaroo for a night: Self on Tuesday was Keynote speaker for the second-annual UMKC Basketball Tip-Off Dinner at College Basketball Experience in Kansas City, Missouri. Michigan State’s Tom Izzo spoke last year.

Just down the road at Kauffman Stadium, the Royals were playing the Oakland A’s in the Royals’ postseason appearance since 1985.

“I think everybody in Kansas City is really fired up and excited about what is going on. I’m one of them,” Self said recently on KC’s 610 radio. “I don’t go to near as many games as I should, but I think those guys are studs. Certainly what Dayton (Moore, GM) and Ned (Yost, manager) and all the guys have done is so cool, especially with a bunch of young guys.”

Happy Birthday: KU sophomore Wayne Selden Jr. on Tuesday celebrated his 20th birthday.

“Screaming HAPPY BIRTHDAY to one of the toughest kids I have ever been around! BOSTON BORN ROXBURY RAISE. #RCJH,” KU assistant coach Jerrance Howard wrote on Instagram.

Self recently spoke about the 6-foot-5 Selden on Andy Katz’s ESPN podcast.

“Even though Perry (Ellis) and Jamari (Traylor) are back and we have some guys that have some experience, I expect Wayne to believe this is his team, not so much more than what Perry does, but Wayne has the personality to be vocal and really take ownership moreso than what the other personalities on our team have,” Self said.

“I anticipate him taking a huge step up. I anticipate his points going up (from 9.7 ppg). I think his shooting percentage will go up, even though he didn’t shoot it poorly last year (43.7), but was a little inconsistent. I could see him being right there as our leading scorer with Perry and being a guy who could average close to 15 a game and also be the guy to give us that physical presence and tough mindset that I think will be very contagious with the others,” Self added.

Comments

Suzi Marshall 5 years ago

It's really hard, actually impossible, to support the KU Athletics Department and football program when they continue the irresponsible stewardship of funds. Since the idiotic decision to fire Mangino, how much have they spent of football coaches vs number of conference wins? 2

2010 3-9 1-7, 6th (North) Turner Gill

2011 2-10 0-9, 10th Turner Gill

2012 1-11 0-9, 10th Charlie Weis

2013 3-9 1-8, 10th Charlie Weis

2014  2-10  0-9, 10th Charlie Weis, Clint ....probable record

What coach with demonstrated abilities will want to take over this program, absent tons of guaranteed money? Results are still not guaranteed. Has KU Athletics ever hear about "Pay for Performance"? At this point, I have ZERO support dropping big bucks into the football program, especially coaches.

Here is what I suggest, given the pathetic state: Sign a top HS Coach such as Hal Wasson (Southlake Carroll, TX) or Gary Joseph (Katy, TX)/ These guys run high level programs with sophisticated offensive and defensive schemes. They have developed elite talent year after year. Guys like Wasson and Joseph make about $100 k a year. We can probably get someone like them for a 5 year deal with a 1 MM guarantee over the contract live, $200k per year, with an attractive performance clauses. You'd never get a demonstrated coach, even a Lane Kiffin with that kind of offer but an ambitious HS coach...yes.

I have no problem paying big bucks to those guys like Self, Cal, Saban, ... that produce results. This KU football is a ship of fools. Start by firing the AD, today.

Allison Steen 5 years ago

Your suggestion is to hire a high school coach? Zenger had nothing to do with firing Mangino or hiring Gill. He did hire Weis, so thats all on him. But asking him to hire a high school coach is asking him to get himself fired.

I'm hoping Clint works out, it really would be a storybook ending (errr beginning?). If he doesn't, I'm happy gambling on an assistant coach, but let's not talk too much crazy and suggest bringing in a high school coach. Not to mention, it isn't going to happen.

Suzi Marshall 5 years ago

Of course I hope Clint works out.

The Athletic Department needs some fiscal responsibilities. What was in Weis' ND performance that warranted a 5 year contract guarantee? He's collected about $64MM from ND and Kansas for what?

Some of these HS coaches are very good and need a break somewhere. Do you really think the KU Alum have an appetite to through big bucks toward a coach at this time?

Why don't you apply for the job. I seriously doubt you can do worse than the last two coaches.

Allison Steen 5 years ago

I enjoy my job at a beer distributor purchasing beer for all of Kansas City much much more! I would leave too much of a void in the beer drinking community if I became the head coach of ku football.

I agree there are some great high school coaches that need a break, and they get that by becoming assistant coaches or moving to a small college. Not at a big 12 school. The world would laugh in our faces, especially those in Missouri.

Dale Rogers 5 years ago

If I recall, I think I read that most of that money to buy out the fired coaches came from donors and not from the AD budget. That money would not otherwise have been in KU coffers so it's a non-factor as far as the school's budget is concerned.

Suzi Marshall 5 years ago

Yea, thousands of donors like many of us that comment on this site. I don't know many donors, large or small, that are excited about donating to the mess called KU Football.

Chuck Wagstaff 5 years ago

North Texas signed another SLC coach, Todd Dodge, who was a disaster at the college level. The program is making money, and can afford a legit college coach.

Titus Canby 5 years ago

Didn't Notre Dame hire a HS coach from Cincinnati back in the 90s? As I recall, it didn't work out well. Of course, that's just one example. Are there some where it worked?

Rodney Crain 5 years ago

I really like Chris Klieman at North Dakota State. Three time Div 1 FCS champs.

Cameron Cederlind 5 years ago

Being fired is never good but I find it hard to feel bad for a guy who will be one of the highest paid football coaches in the nation.

Robert Brock 5 years ago

Suzi Marshall wants to hire the next Terry Allen. Man! KU is playing with fire - when the GOR runs out (10 years) KU may be in Conference USA. Even Bill Self won't stick around for that.

KU needs to decide whether it wants to support a football program in a major conference. Do it NOW!

Suzi Marshall 5 years ago

I want someone hungry for the opportunity, with a proven record on any level, and will go for a "pay for performance" contract.

Gary Bedore 5 years ago

Just wondering why you are concerned about the money so much, Suzi. This is big donor money basically (and TV money) and if it wasn't going to coaches it wouldn't be going to the academic side. Basically all the BCS colleges are paying huge bucks for coaches now, wouldn't you agree?

Suzi Marshall 5 years ago

It doesn't matter where the money comes from. This sense of entitlement to big sums, absent anything close to acceptable, is a basic violation of good business.

I am 100% with Rodney below, and completely disagree with your podcast. Zenger picked Weis. we all knew the risk he was taking with Juco, the poor off field behaviors, the program had been devastated and needed time to rebuild. For the most part we all agreed he was doing what needed to be done to restore the program.

When you hire a guy into this kind of situation, you need to support him. It's highly unlikely anyone would have instantaneous results.

Rodney Crain 5 years ago

Gary this big pile of money is not unlimited. I would prefer we had some patience rather than hitting the reset button every few years. Also if you have money like that it has to make it easier to take a "who cares what's left on the contract" attitude. Do we have elite facilities, stadium, dorms for the Football team? I do not think we do. I was not thrilled about Gill, or Charlie as choices, but you had to give Charlie another year or two more.

Suzi Marshall 5 years ago

The joke is that any coach from those levels you site could have achieved similar results over the past 4+ seasons at a fraction of the cost. Certainly there are appropriate qualifications levels.

Paul Brown, Massillon Washington HS, did well when he made the jump directly to Ohio State.

Jack Wilson 5 years ago

Let's think about what Suzi has stated -- from a factual standpoint. Is anything incorrect? I don't think so.

Hiring a high school coach is not realistic, though, at a D-1 school in a major conference. High school coaches can be great coaches, but it's better to bring them in as assistants. That has happened many times, in many places.

Look at Gus Malzahn. He was coaching HS ball in Arkansas in 2006, became a college assistant, and now is head coach at one of the top programs (Auburn). Or David Cutcliffe at Duke. Or Art Briles at Baylor. Or even Bill Snyder for that matter.

Suzi's just suggesting that we find the next Gus Malzahn now. That is not an absurd thought. What credibility do we have now in recruits' homes? We play in the B-12. Major exposure. Free basketball tickets. That doesn't change because of our coach.

There was a significant failure with a big name HS guy going straight to head coach in college -- Todd Dodge of Carroll in Southlake, Texas flopped at North Texas.

If we located the next Malzahn, and surrounded him with a fleet of recruiters, you might be surprised. Would it be worse?

Again, though, we know that won't happen. It's at theoretical discussion. Zenger is hiring a coach likely to save his own job. Going too far outside the box is just too risky for a guy in Zenger's shoes.

And really, we should be able to locate a guy that can come in, recruit a bit, be one heck of a coach, and lead us to competitiveness -- just ask the guy we fired, Mark Mangino.

Rodney Crain 5 years ago

Gerry Faust lit some candles at Lourdes poof he is hired at ND and that worked out pretty wel... wait sorry, not sure a High School Coach is the right path Suzi for a d-1 program. You are right on spot however Suzi and Jack, Zenger is panicking like there is an unlimited amount of money to throw at this. Anyone should be able to see that this is long term project and you have to tune out those that cry for your coach to be fired. Continuity with a solid coach, and good recruiting help is way to go. The press conference theme to introduce the new FB coach is Rebuilding. I would not say how long it will take, nor provide the steps, nor how progress will be measured. I hope we have the discussion that maybe a new AD should come first before we hire a coach.

Rodney Crain 5 years ago

Brett I really like the word "clown" in your post. Although it seems to me misplaced somehow???

Jack Wilson 5 years ago

Brett, I can sum up your posts quite easily .. crickets. Or at least most of the time.

Like many of your ilk, you mischaracterize and misrepresent to create your own narrative.

1. I have never said Self is overrated. You have simply made that up. I have been quite consistent in my belief that I would not want anyone other than Self as our coach, but that he needs to open his mind a bit and be open to tweaks in his system and approach when needed.

2. I have never said the state is not responsible for the university. You have simply made that up. What I was clear on was that the decision not to fund special apartments for athletes was a reasonable decision, and that it worked out the right way in the end with private donations covering the cost.

3. On the 7 man rotation, the response was to a post about a rotation with larger numbers. Of course, that's a basketball discussion of substance that you rarely are capable of engaging in.

4. My post says nothing about hiring "the next person that walks through the door." You have simply made that up.

5. The tea party stuff is your conclusion I suppose because of related topics on taxing, spending, etc, as well a other political stuff that bleeds onto this page. Fine with me. Your opinion of that is of no concern to me, mainly because your posts on such topics are much like a little barking Chihuahua.

Rodney Crain 5 years ago

Owning a Chihuahua I can confirm their bark is not much to speak of and can be easily ignored.

Brett in case you did not get my earlier post, I was saying you were the clown. Just trying to sum that up for everyone.

Greg Lux 5 years ago

Since we are on the Men's Basketball and not Football page, I have some real concerns about our basketball team. Not concerns about them not winning or not playing well. I have concerns about how all these top quality players are going to get playing time this year. HCBS likes to play an 8 man rotation, sometimes 9 and at the most 10 ( but very seldom ). Just look at the top players we have on this team. Starting with the top recruits, Alexander, Graham, Mykhailiuk and Oubre ( thats 4 ). Returners Ellis, Traylor, Frankamp, Mason, Greene, Seldon ( thats 6 ) and we have not talked about Lucas or Mickelson that ( totals 12 ) HCBS is not likely to play more then 9 max. Who are the 3 guys with splinters from bench time? HCBS will likely need either Lucas of Mickelson to spell Alexander ( that will be one guy out of the rotation ) but who are the other 2?.Mykhailiuk is young and will probably need some time to work on his body, but who is the other bench warmer? I can't find one. Alexander, Selden, Ellis, Oubre, Traylor, Mason and Frankamp and Greene are sure rotation players (thats 8). Graham should be in the rotation. Which would make 9 with both Lucas and Mickelson still not in. Top players don't want to come to KU to Red Shirt or sit. So this seasons lineup bothers me with all the talent we have and so many good to great players. Baring an injury ( No one wants that ) Self will have a problem he will need to handle. On one side it's nice to have top quality players but it could present a PR problem with future recruits unless HCBS can become a very talented juggler.

Gary Bedore 5 years ago

Barring injuries, and nobody wants injuries, there will be some guys left out of the rotation this season, yep there will be some left out. You mentioned "Graham should be in the rotation." Heck, he might be starting. We'll see how it plays out, but yes there will be some guys left wanting for more minutes. Just enjoy watching it play out., Mr. Lux. Depth, they say, is a good thing.

Jack Wilson 5 years ago

Greg -- You said of our rotation: "Alexander, Selden, Ellis, Oubre, Traylor, Mason and Frankamp and Greene are sure rotation players (that's 8)."

That leaves Mickelson, Lucas, Svi, and Graham.

Mickelson or Lucas get low, non-rotation level minutes, say 5-8 per game, assuming 3 post guys taking most of the minutes. The other is out of luck. If Mickelson is better than expected, that could give Self the impetuous to use four post guys at rotation level minutes.

Svi's only chance is to beat out Selden, Greene, or Oubre. Not likely. He sits.

Graham could beat out either Mason or CF -- the loser sits. Life's rough, then you transfer.

Truth be told, Self many times tightens to 7 trusted guys. I would say that we should expect that. 4 main perimeter guys, 3 main post guys. That's where the #2 point guard, or the lower on the totem pole guy between Oubre or Greene, could see minutes cut, depending upon Self's preference at the time.

This is better than talking football coaches .. no doubt.

Suzi Marshall 5 years ago

That's why we pay Self the big bucks! He's demonstrated the ability to manage this kind of situation while delivering results.

Rodney Crain 5 years ago

I think Coach is going to have some great pre and in game options. In addition to starting the best 5 he can use a defensive line up, have more options with foul troubles, sit a player who is not having a good game, rebounding focus, play small or tall. This might be a team of 2-3 excellent players and 8-9 very good ones where you can interchange who plays to take advantage of match ups on a game by game basis.

Titus Canby 5 years ago

I don't see Svi playing much this year. His shooting percentage in really low, and he's not strong enough. I expect his sophomore year to be a big one.

I'd like to start the season with veterans: Ellis, Traylor, Greene, Selden, Frankamp/Mason. That gives the others time to get their legs under them and come on strong after the first of the year.

Gary Bedore 5 years ago

I reserve the right to change my prediction, but I think Svi is so talented he's gonna play a lot. Again, I may change my take if I get to see some practices, but as of today, I'm predicting Svi plays.

Rodney Crain 5 years ago

I agree, but he will need to defend his position too!

Brett Gaul 5 years ago

Self was great at the UMKC banquet. He talked sh!t on Missouri every chance he got. It was very funny.

Erich Hartmann 5 years ago

Hiring a H.S. coach would look foolish/desperate-lost-all-pride/laughingstock...really, other programs and sportscasters would ask incredulously "is this the best they (ku) can find??"

And what logic says a H.S. coach would succeed in the BigXII, when a coach from a lesser college conference couldnt? (Gill) That may not be everybody's experience with getting a small college coach, but it sure was KU's...which would make us wide open to the loaded-with-embarrassment question: ok, KU, seeing YOUR experience with a small school coach (Gill), you now think a zero-college-experience coach (h.s.) is they way to go?

Suzi Marshall 5 years ago

I'm sick of the money they through around with no results.

Rodney Crain 5 years ago

I agree Erich on not pursing a High School coach but at this point are we closer to a High School team or a College team? How do you feel about a very successful D-1 FCS coach like at North Dakota State?

Erich Hartmann 5 years ago

Rodney, I agree about that NDakota coach, since he has PROVEN excellence at the small college level (something we cannot say about Gill). And the NDakota coach did this without a bunch of 4 &5star kids. Sorry, I'm not picking on Turner Gill, just citing a comparative example...that YES, the NDakota guy would be a better hire than a guy like Gill, and a lot better than a unproven h.s. guy.

A lot of success rides on recruiting, and perhaps the NDak guy could get recruits, since he is a winner. Total unknown if a h.s. guy can recruit--do we want to see x 2-4 yrs if he can or cant? At least Weis quickly addressed the team speed issues, and I felt was successful with bringing juco talent. Where it could have built from here, nobody knows now.

Rodney, in a nutshell, the NDakota guy would be a legit candidate for us, I believe...

Chayse Patrick 5 years ago

before ku hires a high school coach they'll drop football.....or at I hope they would. Something tell me Bowen is going to do well and he would be the new coach, And why not the mans bleeds red and blue and has an extordinary amount of coaching on the good and the bad plus he also played on some good and some bad ku teams. I'd take him and his passion and his knowledge of what we need!!

Erich Hartmann 5 years ago

Completely agree. I'm pulling for Bowen & Co. to succeed.