Friday, November 28, 2014

Bill Self talks minutes, rotation

Kansas guard Frank Mason III (0) looks to drive against Tennessee forward Armani Moore (4) during the second half on Friday, Nov. 28, 2014 at the HP Field House in Kissimmee, Florida.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Self praises play of Ellis, Mason, Alexander after 82-67 victory vs. Tennessee

Self praises play of Ellis, Mason, Alexander after 82-67 victory vs. Tennessee

Download podcast

KANSAS 82, TENNESSEE 67

Box score

— Bill Self played Frank Mason III 20 minutes the second half of the Kansas University basketball team’s 82-67 Orlando Classic win over Tennessee on Friday.

Other second half minutes totals: Perry Ellis 19, Wayne Selden Jr. 18, Cliff Alexander and Brannen Greene 12, Jamari Traylor 6 with two turnovers, Svi Mykhailiuk 5, Devonté Graham and Kelly Oubre Jr. 3 and Landen Lucas 2.

“I made a mistake early in the game. I went to the bench too soon,” Self said. “I think we were up 14-7. Next thing you know we’re down 17-15 in about a three-minute stretch. That wasn’t just the kids’ fault coming off the bench. They made a couple shots. We lost momentum the second half. I more or less played our main guys or our starters, with the exception of Cliff, the majority of the minutes just trying to win the game. Last night it was Devonté who played well. Tonight Devonté didn’t get many minutes (Graham, two points in seven minutes). Except for three guys we should be pretty rested going into Sunday.”

Those three guys are Mason (39 minutes), Ellis (35) and Selden (33).

More news and notes from Kansas vs. Tennessee

By the Numbers: Kansas beats Tennessee, 82-67, in Orlando Classic semifinals

By the Numbers: Kansas beats Tennessee, 82-67, in Orlando Classic semifinals

Comments

Luca Rossi 5 years, 6 months ago

I wonder if Gary gets paid per article. Seems like what used to be one or two longer articles has become 5-6 shorter ones lately.

Ashwin Rao 5 years, 6 months ago

I agree with you Luca. Items that can be wrapped up in one article are presented in multiple.. Not complaining (it is free), but just an observation.

Joseph Leon 5 years, 6 months ago

More article mean more article headline means more things people might find interesting to click means more user interaction with the website.

Ashwin Rao 5 years, 6 months ago

Actually, I think it may also be driven by Google Ads. More opportunity to prompt for info that Google can use.

Joe Ross 5 years, 6 months ago

Somehow, those players on the bench are going to have to step it up so they can come in and produce when called upon. I dont understand only going 7-8 deep. If they cant play I wouldnt recruit them. We have to play to win in the short term, but we also have to play to prepare for the likes of Kentucky. The NCAA Championship will likely go through them, and at Kansas you play to compete for Championships. We're not gonna do it with 7 guys. There's no way.

Jonathan Briles 5 years, 6 months ago

Oubre is the only player that would be considered a potential big time contributor that has not had a good game yet. He has looked lost and like he is trying to force it. Other than him everyone has had one or more really nice nights where they contribute. A junior and two sophomores are the leaders of this team. Our youth will be our greatest weakness for the beginning of the season. You need to have more patience. You say we should not recruit them? Who would you kick off our team? Every single one of these guys would be welcomed with open arms in a heart beat at any program in the nation. Btw we went to the championship with only 7 quality guys in 2012. This team is far better than that. We just need time to figure out who goes where and who does what. With a little more time we will become a really great team. Don't get me wrong we will have our head aches. We lack a certain killer instinct and fire and will lose a few games we shouldn't, but not for lack of talent.

Joe Ross 5 years, 6 months ago

You misunderstand. This is not a question of patience. We've been playing shallow through the roster for most of Coach Self's tenure. You mistakenly think that I am looking at this year's rotation in isolation. On the contrary, I look at it through the context of what has been going on for years! You ask the question "who would you kick off our team" like I would be shy about answering it. Let me tell ya so you have it right: I am not a shrinking violet if you haven't noticed from my other posts. Here is your answer. I would never have brought Hunter Mickelson here. I would have benched Frankamp in an effort to get him to go elsewhere, because he is ineffective both as a defender with his lack of height and a shooter in games in a Kansas uniform. Landen Lucas, Jamari Traylor, and some bench-sitters like Christian Garrett aren't cutting it, and while YOUR bleeding heart has your emotions wrapped up in them evidently (judging by your question) I care more about putting people on the floor who are going to help Kansas win. And yes, it IS about winning. Think it isnt? Speak now or forever hold your peace. And if you think our talent level is where Kentucky's is, youre sadly mistaken. If at this point youre going to compare to what we do in recruiting versus non-top-notch teams, then you need to back up. Kansas needs to have the mindset of competing for Championships, so we measure against the best. To do that, we need the best players. Not the Mickelsons, Lucases, Frankamps, etc.

Jerry Walker 5 years, 6 months ago

Wut? Christian Garrett is killing this team?

Now that's high comedy and nothing at all insightful. It makes me think of one of life's mysteries...Why do people who know the least seem to know it the loudest?

Gerry Butler 5 years, 6 months ago

I truly believe coach self will end up using 9 deep on a pretty consistent bases when it is all said and done with that being: Perry , Wayne , Frank , Brennan , Svi, Cliff, Landon, Devonte , Kelly , Jamari. really look for cliff to break into the starting line up soon. the way I think its gonna shake out: the starting five: Perry , Cliff , Wayne , Frank , and Brennan. Jamari backing Perry , Landon backing Cliff, Svi backing Brennan and then probably Devonte backing Frank maybe way off but feel the depth WILL be there for sure come conference play just my thought laugh if you want just saying that's probably why I don't coach lol. GO HAWKS