The Journal-World’s Gary Bedore asked his Twitter followers to comment on what they thought of the KU students tearing down the South end zone goalpost after Saturday’s football win over Iowa State.
The exact Twitter question posed by Bedore: “Kids will be kids? Or is anybody furious KU's students tore down one goalpost after a win over IowaState? Just checking my followers’ opinions.”
Some answers: We just put your first names in case anybody didn’t want these published.
• From Chris: I wouldn't do it, but anything that brings a little fun & excitement to KU football is ok by me.
• From Derek: I’M (TICKED) OFF FOR NO GOOD REASON THAT SOMEONE HAD A REALLY GOOD TIME IN COLLEGE AND STORMED THE COURT/TOPPLED THE GOALPOST. Editor’s note: I’m presuming he was being sarcastic.
• Bill: A little disappointed but not furious.
• Jerry: They come so few and far between that I have no problem with it where the program is right now.
• Marcy: gotta do it!
• KanelJHawk: furious? Nah. Embarrassed? Yes. Show class. Show pride in your field by not abusing/damaging it
• Jared: it's dumb but nothing to get worked up about. Just happy for the fans, coaches and players.
• Zack: no heartburn at all. Anything to be excited for and yo energize the team/fans is ok with me.
• Molly: love it! Enjoy it. Big win for Bowen.
• Chris: I think it's not only an embarrassment to themselves, it's an embarrassment to the university. Completely uncalled for.
• Patrick: Really embarrassing. No other way to put it. Just an awful move
• Josh: yes ridiculous...It was Iowa State
• Zach: more a reflection of the state of ku football than students. Gotta start somewhere! Big win 4 @KUFootball and @CoachClintBowen!
• CJ: not my favorite thing ever
• Kyle: the real embarrassment and let down is the past 5 years of watching ku football. Let em have some fun for once
• Jen: Agree - not a big deal at all
• Gene: Disappointed. Not furious. Sad we have sunk so low any conference win is a spectacle.
• MA: Prefer we didn’t have to
• Jason: unfortunately shows the state of kufball its Iowa state have a little pride last year 4-7 wvu now this
• Carson: I would like to be at a place where a win like that is no big deal. Until then, let them have fun.
• Biller: a lot of fun extinguishers on this thread - there's nothing embarrassing about celebrating success
• Brian: at this point, we might as well tear them down for every BigXII win! Who cares? They're college students. I would have done it
• Kyle: can't blame students when KU lets them be on field like that for so long. What happened to collapsible goal posts? Embarrassing.
• Chris: made idiots of themselves and made a laughing stock out of the university and the program.
• Mitch: it cost each person about 2000 bucks per win. That’s like one goalpost.
• John: so many haters. ... those same haters probably voted for Brownback. Editor’s note: Oops, first political mention.
• Patrick: I don't think KU will sweat the 10k it takes to replace a goal post. No one got hurt=good times. Innocuous.
• Fake 1923 Jayhawk: who cares? Much bigger things in the world to be mad about. Let the kids have fun. They went down 3X in 2005.
• Big Tuna: I think it’s absolutely stupid.
• Bill B: Normally not ideal, but this is a big win right now. Any Big 12 win is. Congrats to coach Bowen!
• JayHawk: Not sure if furious is the right word. Taking goalpost was a bit much.
• janguiano: while they’re at it, let’s rush the court after we beat Emporia State on Tuesday. Didn’t do it against Georgia Tech.
• Brian: kids will be kids.
• Caleb: as long as they never storm the bball court
• SuperJayhawk: They did same thing in 1989 after Mason’s team first got a league win. It’s their reward for sticking by team
• BobS: Bowen should be our coach
• Steve: Stupid
• Joel G: here's my take, I was standing next to Victor Simmons and he verbally admitted he wanted to head up to #potterslake #nuffsaid
• MattT: Let the scotch-and-water alums grumble all they want, college is supposed to be about the KIDS. Let 'em have their fun
• More MattT: Besides, if you're a KU senior you have now seen TWO conference wins your entire academic career. The fatcats need to chill.
• SeanM: Stupid
• Scott: don't give a damn about the goalpost. Great game for the Hawks.
• Tuff: Needed to come down. Fans need to turn the corner with HC Bowen and the team.
• Les: Tearing down goalposts after a pedestrian win is like rushing the court after beating the 20th ranked team. Unnecessary
• Wat: Not furious. Thought it was lame. Just running onto the field would've been ideal.
• Kevin: the students that actually attend the games should be lauded, not criticized. Program needs support now more than ever
• Steve: 4 those excusing it, don't brag about other schools rushing the court after beating KU bball (K. C) when we do it n fball
• MoreSteve: I think it is embarrassing but not surprising, easy to overestimate college kids maturity.