Saturday, November 8, 2014

Twitter poll: Sacrificing goal posts a good or bad idea?

Kansas football fans toss part of an upright into Potter Lake following the Jayhawks' 34-14 win over the Cyclones on Saturday, Nov. 8, 2014.

The Journal-World’s Gary Bedore asked his Twitter followers to comment on what they thought of the KU students tearing down the South end zone goalpost after Saturday’s football win over Iowa State.

The exact Twitter question posed by Bedore: “Kids will be kids? Or is anybody furious KU's students tore down one goalpost after a win over IowaState? Just checking my followers’ opinions.”

Some answers: We just put your first names in case anybody didn’t want these published.

• From Chris: I wouldn't do it, but anything that brings a little fun & excitement to KU football is ok by me.

• From Derek: I’M (TICKED) OFF FOR NO GOOD REASON THAT SOMEONE HAD A REALLY GOOD TIME IN COLLEGE AND STORMED THE COURT/TOPPLED THE GOALPOST. Editor’s note: I’m presuming he was being sarcastic.

• Bill: A little disappointed but not furious.

• Jerry: They come so few and far between that I have no problem with it where the program is right now.

• Marcy: gotta do it!

• KanelJHawk: furious? Nah. Embarrassed? Yes. Show class. Show pride in your field by not abusing/damaging it

• Jared: it's dumb but nothing to get worked up about. Just happy for the fans, coaches and players.

• Zack: no heartburn at all. Anything to be excited for and yo energize the team/fans is ok with me.

• Molly: love it! Enjoy it. Big win for Bowen.

• Chris: I think it's not only an embarrassment to themselves, it's an embarrassment to the university. Completely uncalled for.

• Patrick: Really embarrassing. No other way to put it. Just an awful move

• Josh: yes ridiculous...It was Iowa State

• Zach: more a reflection of the state of ku football than students. Gotta start somewhere! Big win 4 @KUFootball and @CoachClintBowen!

• CJ: not my favorite thing ever

• Kyle: the real embarrassment and let down is the past 5 years of watching ku football. Let em have some fun for once

• Jen: Agree - not a big deal at all

• Gene: Disappointed. Not furious. Sad we have sunk so low any conference win is a spectacle.

• MA: Prefer we didn’t have to

• Jason: unfortunately shows the state of kufball its Iowa state have a little pride last year 4-7 wvu now this

• Carson: I would like to be at a place where a win like that is no big deal. Until then, let them have fun.

• Biller: a lot of fun extinguishers on this thread - there's nothing embarrassing about celebrating success

• Brian: at this point, we might as well tear them down for every BigXII win! Who cares? They're college students. I would have done it

• Kyle: can't blame students when KU lets them be on field like that for so long. What happened to collapsible goal posts? Embarrassing.

• Chris: made idiots of themselves and made a laughing stock out of the university and the program.

• Mitch: it cost each person about 2000 bucks per win. That’s like one goalpost.

• John: so many haters. ... those same haters probably voted for Brownback. Editor’s note: Oops, first political mention.

• Patrick: I don't think KU will sweat the 10k it takes to replace a goal post. No one got hurt=good times. Innocuous.

• Fake 1923 Jayhawk: who cares? Much bigger things in the world to be mad about. Let the kids have fun. They went down 3X in 2005.

• Big Tuna: I think it’s absolutely stupid.

• Bill B: Normally not ideal, but this is a big win right now. Any Big 12 win is. Congrats to coach Bowen!

• JayHawk: Not sure if furious is the right word. Taking goalpost was a bit much.

• janguiano: while they’re at it, let’s rush the court after we beat Emporia State on Tuesday. Didn’t do it against Georgia Tech.

• Brian: kids will be kids.

• Caleb: as long as they never storm the bball court

• SuperJayhawk: They did same thing in 1989 after Mason’s team first got a league win. It’s their reward for sticking by team

• BobS: Bowen should be our coach

• Steve: Stupid

• Joel G: here's my take, I was standing next to Victor Simmons and he verbally admitted he wanted to head up to #potterslake #nuffsaid

• MattT: Let the scotch-and-water alums grumble all they want, college is supposed to be about the KIDS. Let 'em have their fun

• More MattT: Besides, if you're a KU senior you have now seen TWO conference wins your entire academic career. The fatcats need to chill.

• SeanM: Stupid

• Scott: don't give a damn about the goalpost. Great game for the Hawks.

• Tuff: Needed to come down. Fans need to turn the corner with HC Bowen and the team.

• Les: Tearing down goalposts after a pedestrian win is like rushing the court after beating the 20th ranked team. Unnecessary

• Wat: Not furious. Thought it was lame. Just running onto the field would've been ideal.

• Kevin: the students that actually attend the games should be lauded, not criticized. Program needs support now more than ever

• Steve: 4 those excusing it, don't brag about other schools rushing the court after beating KU bball (K. C) when we do it n fball

• MoreSteve: I think it is embarrassing but not surprising, easy to overestimate college kids maturity.

Comments

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 3 months ago

3rd Big 12 win post Mangino. This win was a big deal considering the current state of the program and I don't blame the kids for celebrating a rare occurrence. I just wish I would've gotten to tear some goal posts down while I was at KU. It'll also be nice to be back at a point where a win over a 2-6 team doesn't justify tearing the goal posts down.

John Fitzgerald 6 years, 3 months ago

I was on the field for the whole thing. Normally I'm not for that kind of thing but the energy and excitement was infectious. Good times for sure!

John Fitzgerald 6 years, 3 months ago

Ha! My political reference was so inappropriate. My bad ...

Brett Gaul 6 years, 3 months ago

Stupid. Moshing on the 50 is cool with me, but not tearing down the goalpost.

Scott Wooten 6 years, 3 months ago

I don't care about the damn goalpost. Good game for the players, HC, fans, and for the program.

Chris Spangenburg 6 years, 3 months ago

well since one of the posts are down we may as well just get the renovations started, right??

i tried.

Doug Roberts 6 years, 3 months ago

As an Alumnus? Nah. As a student who's seen, what, 2 wins in their college experience? YES.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 3 months ago

LOL The rush of the field and taking down the goal posts made ESPN's top 10 plays of the day. One of the hosts said I guess the fans felt they might never get a chance to ever do it again. Oh that is funny.

Tom Longhofer 6 years, 3 months ago

We could always tear down the goalposts after the Spring scrimage...unless there's a tie.

Randy Bombardier 6 years, 3 months ago

This is our version of burning a couch. Rather we don't do it but better than WVa.

Gary Bedore 6 years, 3 months ago

I always worry about somebody getting hurt when fans rush the court when KU loses on the road in basketball. I kind of like the SEC rule that the league fines the school pretty big bucks if its court gets stormed. As far as football ... call me an alarmist if you must, but I also worry about the goalpost snapping and really hurting somebody. So I guess I'm against storming fields.

As far as the significance of tearing down a goal post against Iowa State ... I think in today's instance it would have been much more appros for the students to just go on the field and hug the Jayhawks like they did before deciding to destroy the goalposts.

Maybe a new tradition should be started where after every victory, the team captain runs to the students and gives them something to throw in Potter Lake. Maybe have a set of toy goal posts ready. I really think parading the posts to the Lake is what makes this a "fun" ritual for the students. Think of some tradition that could allow the students to dump something in the Lake after victories that doesn't require risking life and limb ripping down springy goal posts.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 3 months ago

There is a way around the injury risk of tearing the goal posts down. A lot of schools have goal posts that they lower when the fans storm the field. That would be the easiest route to avoid having students climb all over the goal posts.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 3 months ago

We don't rush the court when our team beats somebody ranked higher than us at basketball. Now most teams are not ranked as high KU and we expect to beat them in Allen. Rushing the field/court is done by programs that just do not win enough or are not competitive enough to beat good teams. I agree with you, the SEC rule should be in place, we should have goal posts that are quickly grounded and protected by security. Mob mentality can be reduced by a show of force but that is expensive. Would be better if we could just win more games...

Gary Bedore 6 years, 3 months ago

I'd suggest maybe having the students race to the Lake after victories and dive in, but somebody would drown and never make it out. So scratch that idea for a new tradition.

Dirk Medema 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm embarrassed for the University and athletic department. How many centuries have we been debating the question of whether it is appropriate to tear down goal posts. Safety. Costs. Yada yada yada. It's not rocket science to be able to design and build a goalpost that can't withstand a bunch a college students jumping on it.

The administration needs to step up and build safe facilities. After a few failed attempts, the students find more appropriate ways of celebrating - generally not involving couches.

Brad Sherp 6 years, 3 months ago

It is not the what, but the why that bothers me. I am not against bringing down a goal post, but it should only be done after a huge upset. Doing it after beating a 2-win team is pathetic.

Bowen should say something. I think the kids respect what he has to say. He needs to let the kids know that he plans on making winning a regular occurrence, so we need to start reserving this for big wins... not every win.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 3 months ago

KU doesn't do it after every win, just every Big 12 of which yesterday made 4 Big 12 wins since 2009. So winning a Big 12 game is a big deal at KU right now and worthy of celebration.

Bryce Landon 6 years, 3 months ago

If the opponent had been a team with a big name like Oklahoma or Texas or a powerful foe like Kansas State, Baylor, or Texas Christian, it might have been warranted. But this was Iowa State - a fellow conference bottom-feeder we're talking about here. Storming the field and tearing down the goalposts against frickin' I.S.U. is embarrassing and pathetic.

Matt Spitzli 6 years, 3 months ago

I found it hilarious, considering it's Iowa State. Hilarious, but perfectly justified.

For people who say, "have a little pride, we only beat iowa state," I say, pride in what? There's no point in maintaining the pretense that KU football has been anything other than crap the last several years. This was our bowl game. Celebrate away.

DaNeille Dani Davis 6 years, 3 months ago

Let them enjoy this feeling and have their fun. That's what being a college student is about.

Richard Andrade 6 years, 3 months ago

"KU Students To Pull Down Goalposts After Losses 'If There Were Positive Lessons To Be Learned From The Game.'"

Dale Rogers 6 years, 3 months ago

I don't twitter so can't tweet a response. To me, it's good to see the students fired up about a football game instead of leaving at halftime. Tearing down goalposts is generally reserved for "big games" and that's a very relative term. Our first Big12 win of the season. In this context, that's a big game. Good for the students. I hope they turn out for the next game and stay through the entire game. It was funny watching on TV as they had so much trouble getting that goalpost down. I guess they've forgotten proper technique. Hopefully they'll get more practice in future seasons.

Marc Frey 6 years, 3 months ago

Well as long as we do not storm the court after a win, we can keep our dignity. As for football, what's a goal post once a year?

Jack Jones 6 years, 3 months ago

What a stupid question! It's become the "fad" for television stations, and now apparently print and online media, to "beg" for reader comments with these "What do you think" idiotic, meaningless query's. Lazy journalism, as well.

Gary Bedore 6 years, 3 months ago

Lazy Journalism? After I got done with my Iowa State reaction story and finished at work for the day/night, I asked the question on Twitter while I was watching games on TV and decided to share the responses with the public and people so nice to answer my question. What's so lazy about it? Wow, tough crowd.

John Percival 6 years, 3 months ago

How many who think it was ok to tear down the goalpost think it's stupid or get mad when fans storm the court when we lose on the road in basketball? I was Iowa St. Pathetic.

Gary Bedore 6 years, 3 months ago

True, John. Those in favor of this can't get upset anymore when teams storm the court against KU in basketball this season. Fans almost always storm the court when they beat KU in basketball. It's kind of scary, really. Somebody's going to get hurt one of these days either by a snapping goalpost or the mob scene in basketball in much smaller spaces.