Saturday, November 1, 2014

KU players express surprise at Frankamp transfer

Kansas guard Conner Frankamp pulls up for a shot against UTEP during the first half on Saturday, Nov. 30, 2013 in Paradise Island, Bahamas.

There were unconfirmed whispers last spring that Kansas University guard Conner Frankamp was considering a transfer to Creighton.

Nothing ever came of the Internet message-board rumors, but they were so prevalent it made inquiring media minds wonder Friday whether the current Jayhawks had any inkling the 6-foot sophomore indeed had interest in playing somewhere else.

“No,” sophomore guard Wayne Selden Jr. said, asked if he knew Frankamp, who announced plans to transfer from KU to a yet-to-be-determined school, ever was thinking of leaving. “It came as a shock to me as well.

“He’s just a great person, great player to be around,” Selden added. “He became one of my best friends. It’s the business we’re in. This is what it is. It’s hard when you don’t see it coming. It’s hard to really grasp it, not having him there, not having him in the locker room. Not having him around ... it’s going to hurt.”

Junior forward Perry Ellis, who like Frankamp is from Wichita, stated: “I didn’t actually see it coming. He was doing real well. He only knows what’s best for himself. Only yourself knows what you want to do and need to do. We’re all behind him. We’re all going to support him. He’s a great guy, always about the team first, just a great guy, overall guy.”

Frankamp on Friday said he wanted to go to a school where he’d have a bigger role. Though coach Bill Self said Frankamp figured to be part of the rotation, nothing was guaranteed with so many standouts on the perimeter. A meeting between Self, Frankamp and Frankamp’s dad Wednesday apparently didn’t satisfy the Frankamps as far as vision for Conner’s future role in the program.

“It goes from seven great guards to six great guards,” Selden said. “A lot of competition is still there. I don’t think the competition is going to dwindle. I feel it might even pick up more now.

“I’ll probably have to play more point here and there,” Selden added. “We’ve got two great point guards here as well (Frank Mason, Devonté Graham). I’m pretty good with that.”

Frankamp was expected to be a deadly threat from three-point land his soph season. Brannen Greene and Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk are also known as NBA-range three-point shooters.

“We definitely have some other great shooters. He’s definitely a terrific shooter,” Ellis said. “I feel we have other players that can step up and knock down some shots.”

Transfer talk: At KU’s Media Day, the Journal-World asked Frankamp if he had considered transferring after his freshman season.

“I didn’t think about that too much,” he said. “I was just trying to work on my game and if I got the opportunity to come in there and help as much as I could.”

Eligibility: Frankamp will enroll at his new school for second semester, thus he’ll be able to play at the end of first semester of the 2015-16 season, which is usually mid-December.

“He would have to sit a year and a half to get three (years) back, so if he were to transfer at Christmas and you sit a year, he’s already played one, and he’d be missing a third of next year. So really he’s going to get about 22⁄3 as far as number of games played, if he becomes eligible next year right after the fall semester is over,” Self said. “In order for him to get the full three years, he’d have to sit a year and a half, and I don’t want to speak for his family, but they told me that was definitely not going to be the case.”

Wichita State is obviously a possible landing spot for Frankamp. Sporting News speculated he might be interested in Butler. Nebraska recently became the transfer destination of former KU guard Andrew White III. Creighton remains a possible fit, along with former KU player Tad Boyle’s Colorado program and perhaps former KU great Danny Manning’s Wake Forest program. Frankamp has not released a list of potential schools.

Team “behind”: Self said he felt the Jayhawks had a long way to go before Monday’s 7 p.m., contest versus Washburn.

“I’d say we’re a little behind right now, three weeks in. Of course, maybe all coaches say that,” Self said. “I think our retention is average. I think our athletic ability is very, very good. I think our length is very good. I think we shoot it better than we have, even though that always remains to be seen.

“We make the game harder than what it is. Some guys are driving it when they should be passing it, some guys are shooting it when they should be driving it. We’re just not quite on the same page yet, and I think all teams are probably like that for the most part this early. Of course I thought last year’s team stunk starting the season, and we go play pretty well early on against Duke, so you don’t ever know.”

Recruiting numbers: KU has 11 scholarship players, two under the limit. KU also could lose some players to the pros, meaning Self may try for at least a four-man recruiting class.

Comments

Dwight Murray 4 years, 8 months ago

I would assume that this group will remember the name Frandkamp when wild Bills chosen latest "bull in the china shop/can't hit sickem" hands off another turnover! I don't blame the kid for going elsewhere-anywhere they value talent rather than-...

Erich Hartmann 4 years, 8 months ago

I see we've already forgotten how to spell Frandkamp/Frankamp/Frannkamp (remember the name?)...Conner/Connor...now where did he go play?

Erich Hartmann 4 years, 8 months ago

Actually, quite the opposite: You may not believe it, but Self's mpg forecast to Frankamp & his father likely means the play of Mason + Graham is soon about to make us forget Connor Frankamp. I'm just going with Self's overall track record. He knows what he wants out of his guard play, and he will be the first to tell you he hasnt gotten what he needed out of guards since Sherron and Tyshawn left. Recall the standard was set by RussRob+Chalmers+Collins. The play of Tyshawn+EJ in 2012 (NC appearance) came closest. EJ needed his wingman in '13, is all that was proved by lone EJ.

Steve Zimmerman 4 years, 8 months ago

It's not surprising at all. I expected it to happen. HCBS game plan has always been feeding the bigs - inside. Conner will play only when we get zoned. Even if he is to play pg, he won't get green lights to shoot - he needs to facilitate the bigs first. Connor is a shooter. He does not fit in this kind of game plan. He likes to score. It's what he's good at.

Best of luck to you, Mr. Frankamp. It's a big loss for KU.

Michael Johnson 4 years, 8 months ago

If coach Self is thinking about a four-man recruiting class, he better get on the ball.

Robert Brock 4 years, 8 months ago

KU's recruiting targets are waiting until Spring. Self & Company are on it!

Joe Ross 4 years, 8 months ago

I think I agree with you. Blue chip recruits tend to wait longer to make decisions. Exhibit A: one Andrew Wiggins. If Kansas is going to go after these kinds of guys, we need to learn to be patient with the waiting game that is recruiting top flight players. We are in on enough big targets that we will net some of them.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 8 months ago

Actually I think they are waiting for KY to choose who they want.

Greg Lux 4 years, 8 months ago

There can only be on logical reason for Frankamp to quit now instead of staying on the team, taking his chances, and waiting until the end of this semester. He is planning on sitting out 1 and a half years to get 3 yrs eligibility. If not this is stupid. He could have played all the games upto the end of this semester and still had the 2 and 1/2 years eligibility. So it only makes sense to quit now if you want 3 years eligibility left. Conner is and has been one of my favorite guys on this team. I love his presents under pressure and I always felt he would become a true star for KU the next 3 years. I am sick to see him leave and wish him all the best.

Walter Bridges 4 years, 8 months ago

Connor only gets 2 1/2 years of eligibility regardless that he left before the start of the season.

Walter Bridges 4 years, 8 months ago

Is this what you wanted me to read?

“He would have to sit a year and a half to get three (years) back, so if he were to transfer at Christmas and you sit a year, he’s already played one, and he’d be missing a third of next year. So really he’s going to get about 22⁄3 as far as number of games played, if he becomes eligible next year right after the fall semester is over,” Self said. “In order for him to get the full three years, he’d have to sit a year and a half, and I don’t want to speak for his family, but THEY TOLD ME THAT WAS DEFINITELY NOT THE CASE”

Most games and more importantly conference and tourney games are in the spring so I dont see that happening.

Walter Bridges 4 years, 8 months ago

The 'Still too complex' sounded a lot more asinine than when posted. The explanation was complex...

Walter Bridges 4 years, 8 months ago

Only if he is willing to sit a year in a half

Still too complex?

Jack Wilson 4 years, 8 months ago

There is an NCAA rule that you only get 5 years to play 4 years. See the link below, which is the NCAA transfer guide, go to the bottom of page 12 under "Five-year clock." It has been that way for years. So I think coach Self is wrong there. CF would have to complete his eligibility with his final season being 2017-18.

Walter Bridges 4 years, 8 months ago

Yes..and he has participated AND practiced this semester. I agree 100%

Scott Burkhart 4 years, 8 months ago

What comes to my mind is the number of players that have left the Jayhawks for greener pastures only to wind up on the heap of also rans that never amounted to squat in other leagues, on other teams. I can't think of any of these transfers ever becoming the NBA pick they always expected to be. No, this is a huge mistake by Mr. Frankamp. It is a defining moment in his future that I believe he will live to regret. All of that being said, I sincerely wish him all the best and hope that his dreams come true.

Walter Bridges 4 years, 8 months ago

I'll be interested in seeing how Andrew White does at Nebraska. Micah Downs did better at Gonzaga than he ever would have at Kansas but he certainly fell short of being the star he thought he was. Quintrell Thomas did a good job at New Mexico and would have helped us a lot in 2012.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 8 months ago

JR Giddens was a 1st round pick. Of course he was kicked off the team instead of voluntarily leaving.

Walter Bridges 4 years, 8 months ago

Giddens was the one who went to New Mexico...Thomas went to UNLV. Kind of an iffy 'voluntarily'.

Scott Burkhart 4 years, 8 months ago

Oops. I almost forgot. I bet he winds up at Wichita St. I wonder if there were some conversations, behind the scenes, between the Schockers and the Frankamps? Not making accusations, just asking the question.

Brian Skelly 4 years, 8 months ago

Conner Frankamp wasnt going to crack the lineup here. He wants more playing time. Im good with that. Folks shouldnt be ate up by that. Folks think the WSU talk is possible, and it maybe. I'll point out though that Fred VanFleet is well better than Conner, and he'll play 2 guard there, not PG (or at least not starting). Not sure how that would solve his 'problem'. Regardless we wish him well.

Shane Skelley 4 years, 8 months ago

In what universe is Fred Van Vleet a "Senior"?

Layne Pierce 4 years, 8 months ago

I began to be worried when we started getting all the speculation about other point guards, some very highly rated. Some of those could also play 2 guard. Still this hurts because you love to see a Kansas kid make good at Kansas. Perry Ellis has done that. Ultimately I believe Connor could have gotten significant time. Recall coach self saying that Connor is a shooter who needs to shoot a certain number of times. That is something that he might not ever have gotten here.

Most of the time leaving here does not bring success. Name one great player who transferred from KU and really took off?

Luca Rossi 4 years, 8 months ago

As an outsider, this decision by CF seems like a really really terrible one. Maybe another place would be a better "fit" but the timing is terrible. Per Self's comments above, he would have to sit out 1 1/2 years to get three more. And Self continues on to say that he definitely isn't going to do that. So in essence, CF is deciding to miss this season and most of next season to have two full seasons as "da man" elsewhere. He could have just played out the season here and if it didn't work out, transfer then and still have two years left.

If its all about minutes, its possible when you add up all the minutes he would have had here the next three seasons compared to the two and change he will get elsewhere, may not be as big of a difference as you'd think. The thing is, anytime you make a change, you naturally go backwards at first. Whether its a new job, new position, etc., it takes time to learn the new system, the new playbook, etc. I hate to see quitters but this team is survival of the fittest, the competition weeds out the weaker ones and only the strong survive. I thought CF was tougher than this but it seems like he doesn't have the makeup of a Releford/Reed type of guy to gut it out and earn his spot. Looking back, it seemed an obvious wise choice to red-shirt last year, CF didn't want to and that could've been a hint towards him not looking long term at KU with his career nor having the patience necessary. He could have been coming into this year as a first exhibition game starter with four full seasons ahead of him.

I really hope the talk about BG going elsewhere has no fact behind it because I think this guy is going to be a stud here if he sticks it out. Self has said before that he has NBA makeup and think CF leaving could be the turning point for BG's career. I see him being a big minutes guy off the bench this year and starter junior and senior years and the biggest benefactor of this CF news.