Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Ukrainian wing Mykhailiuk chooses KU

Self says versatile athlete will report to school in fall

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University has confirmed the signing of Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk to a national basketball letter of intent, KU coach Bill Self announced today.

A native of Cherkasy, Ukraine, Mykhailiuk is a 6-foot-8, 195-pound shooting guard/small forward. The 16-year old will be eligible to play in the upcoming 2014-15 season.

Say What?

Ever since the Ukrainian basketball prospect who signed with the Jayhawks on Wednesday appeared on KU's recruiting radar, Jayhawk fans have been wondering how to pronounce his name.

Here's the answer, according to KU officials:

Sviatoslav = Svee-at-is-slov

Mykhailiuk = Meh-kai-look

One other note regarding the unusual name, Mykhailiuk told KU officials that he prefers to be called "Svi," which is pronounced, "Svee."

He will turn 17 in June, but already completed high school in the Ukraine, which would keep him in college for a minimum of two years due to the NBA Draft age requirement rules.

“Obviously, this is great news for us," Self said today. “He is 16 years old and will turn 17 in June, but his skill level, knowledge and aptitude for the game are way beyond his years. I think that he will be an immediate impact guy. He is a guy that can play all three positions on the perimeter. At 6-8, he can play point, play the No. 2 (guard) or the No. 3 (guard). He allows us to be more versatile next year and certainly, there would be few people that would shoot it better than him.”

Mykhailiuk represented Ukraine at the 2013 Under 16 European Championship, being named to the All-Tournament Team after averaging 25.2 points per game and eight rebounds.

Self, who became aware of the Ukrainian talent three months ago, credited his development through his club team — the Cherkasy Mavpy — to be one of the most appealing factors in KU's recruitment, citing that Mykhailiuk will begin his college career very skilled, drilled and prepared.

“We got a lot better today," Self said. “He's not here yet and he won't come until the fall because he's going to stay back and play with his national team this summer, which we strongly encourage. He's a young man who will be so exciting to watch his growth because of his age, his intellect and his 'want to.' This guy really wants to be a player and really wants to do it here in the States.”

The son of mom, Inna, a high school biology teacher and dad, Iurri, a college history professor, Mykhailiuk has taken English classes for much of his life and will come to Kansas this fall with a fairly strong grasp of the language.

“I liked everything,” Mykhailiuk said. “From the history, the strength program and especially the coaches — everything. It’s Kansas. KU has players every year. Coach Self has had so many players go to the NBA. That’s an important thing.”

KU, which has signed Cliff Alexander, Kelly Oubre and Devonte' Graham, has one available scholarship remaining in recruiting.

“Who knows what will end up happening with Andrew (Wiggins) and Joel (Embiid), but right now the consensus is that they will be two of the top-three players taken in the NBA Draft,” Self said. “How do you replace guys like that? The answer is you don't. The way you try, though, is to go out and sign Cliff, Kelly, Devonte and now you add Sviatoslav to the mix. This could arguably be one of the very best recruiting classes that we've had. I think of last year's class and I think of the class with Brandon (Rush), Mario (Chalmers) and Julian (Wright) — this class definitely rivals that.”

Comments

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 5 months ago

Welcome Sviatoslav! You will not regret this decision. You have found your second home in Lawrence, Kansas.

Josh Galler 4 years, 5 months ago

Kansas just got stronger. I see a guard will redshirt, Mason? COnnor? Greene?

Chris Bailey 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm concerned one will transfer. Although I don't think Connor will. He seems to understand the system here and the need to put in your time.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 5 months ago

I'd be surprised if we see another transfer. Especially if it's Conner or Mason, because despite what some of the commentary his, Svi will not be a PG. He's a good passer and good handler, but he does his damage by attacking from the wing or in transition. Sviatoslav is considered similar to a 5 star recruit, but he'll have to adjust to the level of competition. He struggled some in the Hoops Summit and didn't put up mind-boggling numbers on his Euroleague team. His highlight videos come from playing in the U16 league. They certainly show what he can do, but he'll have to learn how to do that against 18-23 year olds. He likely will trump Greene this season, and will be competing primarily with Selden and Oubre.

He'll likely be the first guard off the bench; second, if we aren't able to get any PG consistency. But by late in the year he could be just as good as Selden and Oubre after he's adjusted to the competition.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 5 months ago

If this kids handles are as good as Fran Fraschilla believes, not elite but competent enough to run point on occasion, he will immensely help out whoever is the PG when the other team presses because of his size and ability to see over defenses.

I know there are those who didn't want this kid solely because of the minutes he will likely take from Brannen Greene or Connor Frankamp. Personally, I'd rather have the issue of too much depth (yes it's possible) than not enough depth. I'm really excited to see what this kid can do for KU next year.

Titus Canby 4 years, 5 months ago

Me too.

Can anyone tell us how to pronounce his name?

Walter Bridges 4 years, 5 months ago

Ask John Travolta..he's good at pronouncing names.

Erich Hartmann 4 years, 5 months ago

It is pronounced pretty much phonetically, as written. It isnt Polish, for example where there may be altered sounds, and letters not even pronounced (Kryzyewski of Duke, for example).

S-vat-o-slav Mick-hay-lee-ook (just as Robin Smith about wrote it).

Cant wait to see this kid play! RCJH

Jeff Kilgore 4 years, 5 months ago

Appreciated, but I already knew how to pronounce it.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 5 months ago

If Svi is as good as Self says then this Class is likely just a hair off of Duke for the #1 class ranking.

Ethan Berger 4 years, 5 months ago

First, a couple days ago I swore he was 6'6, now 6'8 and still only 16? Phew. Second, watched some highlights of him, which obviously show only the good. But boy he can be a star. A very smooth shooting stroke. He has tight handles and biggest thing I noticed is how quick he is. And we get him for 2 years no matter what. Which means if he leaves, he will be just 19 when drafted. We have a very long and athletic 2 and 3s. Greene and Oubre can shoot very well also. This team is shaping up to be very good. If the NBA adds a year and we get to keep Alexander and Oubre, anything but a final four in two years will be a huge disappointment.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Is he 6'6" or 6'8". My guess is that he's 6'6" as had been reported, but Self called him 6'8" in the interview and so the writer felt obligated to maintain that consistency.

Also, the thing I noticed most from his highlights is his ability to use either hand. He attacks the paint just as well with his left hand as he does with his right and he can finish comfortably with either hand

Tony Bandle 4 years, 5 months ago

ODDITIES FROM OAKVILLE:

1] Reading the article, I guess it's a rule in the Ukraine that once you turn 21 your first name starts with the letter "I".[Inna, Iurri].

2] Gosh, I wish Max was still broadcasting.....what a hoot it would be to hear him try to pronounce this young man's name a couple dozen times a night!!!!!

3] Devonte, Wayne, Frank, Conner, Sviatoslav...our perceived weak point for next year has apparantly disappeared. Now we can start worrying about if we really have enough in the middle...where's stupidmichael when we need him?

4] Something tells me rivals.com will have to re-evaluate our #7 draft class position.

5] Our schollie count now is 4 freshmen, 6 sophomores, 2 juniors, NO Seniors...YIKES!!!

6] Maybe the best news is that he is a definite minimum two season player.

7] Maybe not likely, but it is possible that this squad will lose only one player next year [Wayne]....2015-16 could be really, really special.

8] MS. Andrea needs to take the Uke Nuke and turn him into a multi-megaton bomber. 6'-8" and less than 200 lbs, ain't gonna cut it in the big time.

Robin Smith 4 years, 5 months ago

check that out... #3 Cliff, #4 Kelly, #5 Wayne, #24 Perry #52 Hunter

just thought that was interesting to see regardless of what decisions are made in one year's time; re your #7.

Josh Youle 4 years, 5 months ago

We'll have 3 juniors, 2 of whom redshirted previously and will be entering their 4th season, and Lucas is a soph entering his 3rd... not quite as scary

Jeff Kilgore 4 years, 5 months ago

I disagree only with number eight. If he can handle the ball like a point guard, he can weight 150 pounds. That won't matter. If he can't then you're right.

Walter Bridges 4 years, 5 months ago

Wow! I just received an ESPN alert on my iPod. You guys are quick. Wonder how Greene is feeling at this moment.

I think Rivals posted their final update but we are definitely nearer the top.

Steve Kubler 4 years, 5 months ago

Oh boy is this great! (to quote Flounder from animal house)

As always, pumped for midnight madness before football even starts!

Len Shaffer 4 years, 5 months ago

Love the Animal House reference! And that sums it up perfectly. WOW!

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 5 months ago

This kid is NOT guaranteed to be at KU for two years. He just can't enter the NBA draft for two more seasons, or 3 if Adam Silver gets his way and the NBA has a 20 year old minimum (I sincerely hope so). The reason why he is not guaranteed to be at KU 2/3 years is because he will have the option of going back to Ukraine and playing professionally like Pappatrou (sp?) did with Texas A couple of years ago. I would absolutely love to have this kid for 2 or 3 years, but because he'll always have Euroball as an option, it's not a guarantee that he's at KU more than a year or even less than that if he struggles to adjust to life in Kansas.

Andrew Washington 4 years, 5 months ago

I don't know- this may be overly positive, but seems most players that come here end up kinda liking it. Nobody said he's guaranteed two years, but I wouldn't be too quick with that pessimism. We just landed the best shooter in Europe. Stop worrying about losing him already. Rock Chalk!

Al Martin 4 years, 5 months ago

Now that you say that, it makes me wonder if we're even guaranteed to have him this year. He still could decide to play Euroball this year. He could be keeping his options open by picking a school. Just a thought, and purely speculation...

Robin Smith 4 years, 5 months ago

He personally stated his intention to play in college for two years before going to the NBA.

Returning to Europe would not be a good career move for him. Papapetrou was not nearly the prospect that Mykhailiuk.

Playing for Self and in front of scouts is the career move. Count on him definitely being at KU for at least 2 seasons, barring some kind of scandal.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 5 months ago

And I had every intention of playing D1 football until my ankle got shredded my senior year of HS and I lost my offer because I could no longer play. Point is he can have every intention in the world of staying 2-3 year depending on the NBA rule (I hope he does because this kid has a great skill set), but because of his background, he does have Euroball as a fallback plan if things don't work out the way he wants them to here in the States for whatever reason.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm Brannen Greene. I want to play. I'm good. I can shoot. I'm not happy.

Tyler Daniels 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree. Svi is only 16 and he's going to have a lot to learn before he's ready to compete for serious minutes (and a new system isn't the only thing he'll have to adjust to. College life, new environment, new people, new ways of living, all of that will affect his adjustment). Greene is talented and ready to go. If he cleans up his playing a little bit (specifically defense) he'll easily be getting plenty of playing time.

Benz Junque 4 years, 5 months ago

Sae Thirtysix 4 years, 5 months ago

Steve Jacob 4 years, 5 months ago

He's 17 and not with KU until fall, so don't expect a lot from him this season.

Sae Thirtysix 4 years, 5 months ago

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 5 months ago

According to draft express (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2014-Albert-Schweitzer-Tournament---Elite-Prospects-4512) his weakness include:

Weaknesses: -Poor wingspan (6-6, same as height) -Lives off tough shots -Not efficient at all inside the arc -Low 2-point percentage guy his entire career -Misses a lot of easy looks around the basket due to lack of length and strength -Will need to find a way to diversify his game and try to become more efficient -Struggles defensively at times due to lack of length and strength

:Looks like Huddy will have her work cut out with him. Amongst his strengths, as defined by Draft Express - He is unselfish and makes the extra pass. At first I groaned about having another weak finisher but upon further reflection .... he's got Big Cliff to make that extra pass to instead of the need to finish at the rim.

Self with have an option to put a really BIG team on the floor when Seldon and Mykhailiuk name the backcourt. I'm looking forward to the game when the team shows off their shooting ability with Frankamp, Mykhailuk, Selden, Mickelson, and Greene, with Ellis and Alexander doing the damage in tight.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 5 months ago

Suzi, with all due respect, Cliff is not a finisher....he is a TERMINATOR!!!!

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 5 months ago

A couple of days ago, Big Cliff tweeted, "What's a layup." Kansas fans are going to love this guy. AFH will erupt when he makes his first dunk during Late Night.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 5 months ago

Love the tweet from Cliff. Thanks for posting.

"what's a layup?"

"It's what people who can't dunk do."

David Serven 4 years, 5 months ago

I hope hoody gets to him to bulk him up. 6/8 195 is a bit thin for bangin' in college. Like to see him at a lean 225.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 5 months ago

3 things, first I am with Jack, somebody, probably Greene, can not be happy about this. How can anyone who will compete with Svi for playing not time be thinking about whether they are the next AWIII? Secondly although this is a great add to our team, it seems like we are not putting together a team but adding the next best available player, regardless of position. I am not sure I see a plan here. No matter who we add the question of PG play still is a big question. Finally we should not get too giddy about some of these freshman. Last year at this time I really thought we were going to have a Great team going to the final four. We ended up having a good team, won another B12 championship but did not even make it to the sweet 16. None of the freshman were able to step up and cover for Joel's injury and when a good coach was able to erase AW and pressed us we lost early in the tournament.

Bottom line I like Svi, I hope we are better at PG next year. I am cautiously optimistic.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 5 months ago

We all saw how the need for leadership from the PG position determines how good the team will be. I'm very curious is this new guy, combined with Selden, can cover the PG needs. Selden is a natural born leader and Selden/Svi might make a nightmare backcourt for our opponents.

Robert Brock 4 years, 5 months ago

I would be pleased if Selden could just play the deuce. That ain't easy!

Rodney Crain 4 years, 5 months ago

awww sorry John I did not meet your high standards. Only if I cared what you thought...

Allen Shepard 4 years, 5 months ago

We did have a great team, we had every reason to be excited, and we would have made the Final Four. There's no replacement for a generational talent two way center.

So, i don't really understand what your point is.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 4 months ago

Well that does not surprise me. Not sure how you think a 10 loss team, that struggled defending, and at the point is a great team??? We did not even get to the sweet 16. Let's just not get overly excited again this year. Our starters are not tall, still have questions at the point, and another tough schedule. ISU, and TX got better and taller too. Should be another wild ride with our youth as we search for a leader on our team.

Lance Cheney 4 years, 5 months ago

The jersey chasers better be careful - they'll get locked up for bedding down this one, since he's only 17!

Allen Shepard 4 years, 5 months ago

The age of consent in the most states in the US, including Kansas, is 16. It's weird that people are so uninformed on this matter. But, i suppose that means more 16 year olds for me, so whatever...

Tony Bandle 4 years, 5 months ago

With the roll Bill Self is on, you could start a cottage industry in Lawrence of making foreign flags to wave at Allen...you'd make a fortune!!

All kidding aside my fellow Jayhawks, correct me if I am wrong, but this feels like the deepest, most talented 12 scholarship roster we have ever had.

I don't mean individually but taken as a whole, this team has the potential to be really, really good. The only thing, and it's a big one, that may hold them back, not counting injury or explusion off the team, is lack of experience.

Scott MacWilliams 4 years, 5 months ago

Hey, I like the looks of this kid and think he'll be a great addition.

But what about the PG problem? Svi's good, but not a PG. We still have a big ?mark there, and seems to me like the last scholarship should be maybe for a really good juco transfer, or another transfer with some serious high-level experience and skills. Iowa State had Kane, TX has Thomas, WVU has Staten, & we don't have anyone who can compete at that position with those guys.

Otherwise, ROCK CHALK!!

Allen Shepard 4 years, 5 months ago

We already got the best PG available. That was Graham. There's nothing else to be done about it. It's time to accept the situation.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 4 months ago

So Allen the PG issue is fixed??? I like Graham, I think Frank and Conner will improve but we still hAve questions at the point until we prove otherwise. Not sure who else is out there but we should grab them if there is.

greg robinson 4 years, 5 months ago

Hope he's a good shooter. How cool to be able to say Svee for three!

Joseph Bullock 4 years, 5 months ago

Do any of you who are concerned about PG know we signed a young man, named Graham??? And syop with all the negativity. This team has a chance to win it all, once they jell. And Brennan is not afraid of compitition. He will play a lot.

Chad Lee 4 years, 5 months ago

A guy that plays 1,2 or 3 is a good add, and helps to build a team any way you slice it. I grow tired of the pessimist who would find something wrong with winning three ships in a row. It makes me wonder what would make them happy, world peace a billion dollars all the power in the world? Obtaining all three and these Debbie downers would complain still. I guess it's just a lost cause.

Bryce Landon 4 years, 5 months ago

I think the Debbie Downers have reason to be skeptical of any hoopla over any one player after KU suffered a 10-loss season and got sent home from the NCAA Tournament in the first weekend.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 5 months ago

Well Chad as a realist I get frustrated with all the Homers too, who think everything is green grass and sunshine. I would rather be cautious then bumble into false beliefs that everything is great in the world and be constantly disappointed. What makes me happy? Seeing our team execute to their abilities, finding truth in this world, and having hope through my loved ones who show me that things can and do change everyday. Svi looks like a very good player who should help our team. But anyone who watched last season knows that the Hype is unrealistic for any freshman. All you hear and see is the highlight reel, you never see the video of their weaknesses.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 5 months ago

Sometimes it has to be said John, sorry Homer. You folks get carried away wishing on Rainbows.

Allen Shepard 4 years, 5 months ago

Huh? What are you talking about? The hype wasn't unrealistic. Andrew Wiggins put up the best freshman season of any KU player in our history. Joel Embiid was FAR better than his already substantial hype.

Hack.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 5 months ago

Allen you have a short memory. AW came in with Lebron expectations which even Self said were unfair. I think AW had a very good year, and in some games late in the season he was the best player for us on the floor. So yes the hype for AW was unrealistic, to meet the media's hype he would have to scored 25 and grab 10 rebounds a game. Joel improved with every game too. However CF, Selden, and Greene came in with hype too, and had average or subpar seasons by their own account. So HUH, I think if you look at it from that view the hype was unrealistic.

Matt Spitzli 4 years, 5 months ago

This is great! Never expected anywhere near this much from the incoming recruiting class after we lost out on Turner. Liking our chances next year!

Brian Wilson 4 years, 5 months ago

My evaluation of the lineup. Although Mykhailuk is a great shooter, I don't think he will be a starter. I think he solidifies the two spot behind Selden and won't play the point often. He lacks the weight and strength to bang and his speed, vision, and ball handling although good are not that of a great point guard. Probably underated, he was only rated a 2 star player which suggests he needs a season to develop. This puts him at the 2 spot and means he is probably planning to stay two years as he can clearly see himself starting after Selden leaves.

Newcomer Oubre will start at the three and Greene will finally get to be first off the bench at the position. Although Greene has the option to redshirt i don't think we will as he can see a clear path to start after Oubre goes Pro.

At the 4 and 5 spots you have Ellis and Alexander. Mickelson and Landon will be the backups respectively with "No promises" Traylor" still in the shadows on the bench although Traylor reminds me of Wesley and he did look good this past year at times.

1. Graham, Frankamp, Mason
  2. Selden, Mykhailuk
  3. Oubre, Greene
  4. Ellis, Landon
  5. Alexander, Mickelson, Traylor

So the starters get their 30 to 35 with backups getting 3 to 10 per game. Greene and Frankamp and Mickelson will probably get the most minutes off the bench in that respective order. So, my opinion, Greene is ok. He gets more minutes this year and is being groomed.

Can you imagine the practices though. The 2nd team may be almost as good as the first.

Mason, then Traylor, and then Landon are the odd men out.

You may argue that Mason won't be the odd man out. But here is my thinking. In Bill Self's own words, Frankamp is a stud, he shoot lights out and IMHO is the fastest and securest with ball in hand. (Soon to change and it will be Graham) Self will take care of him first as his skill set is much harder to replace than Masons. More to think about, Mason, Frankamp, and Greene have the option to redshirt.

Chad Lee 4 years, 5 months ago

Bryce last year's 10 loss season may have something to do with all the seniors we had lost the year before or the extremely difficult schedule that we had. excitement about a player when all talent was supposedly gone or signed is quite alright. Having a team with this much talent and Self coaching is something to get excited about. defending skeptics is one thing, being butt hurt about the absence of perfection is ludicrous

Rodney Crain 4 years, 5 months ago

Not sure anyone expects perfection. You forgot the poor and inconsistent play at PG, coupled with the fact that we did not have a leader on our young team. Talent alone does not always equal success. I think being cautiously optimistic for next season is a reasonable perspective for a fan of our team.

Bryce Landon 4 years, 5 months ago

I don't know. Lately it's been hard to get excited about Self's coaching given the shoddy defense we had last season, no defensive switches to flummox opponents like Iowa State or Oklahoma State, stale offense against San Diego State and Stanford, and bad PG play. And I'm still pissed about the F-minus the 2013 team gave us vs. TCU and the meltdown vs. Michigan. Just because the man has given us 10 straight league titles, 2 Final Fours and 1 national title doesn't make him infallible, especially the past two years.

Chris Hicks 4 years, 5 months ago

Ok so we get the best shooter on the OTHER HALF OF THE WORLD!! Yet here we are still sulcing over last year. Yes-we would of had a better season if we had better guard play. Yes- we would of had a better season if we had leaders. Yes- we would of had a better season if this or if that. Shut up and be a true jayhawk!. We won another big 12 Confrence championship, 3 games left of Confrence play, all the while with one of the youngest team to date. We had one of, if not the hardest schedule. We potentially have the 1 and 2 top draft picks in this years draft. Hugh for Ku recruiting!! So there was positive out of this season, wouldn't you say? This year we are beyond loaded. With some leaders with experiece, who will be healthy (Selden Jr). I see traylor being a team leader and watch Ellis get into some peoples asses next season. To top it off self is manning the helm. So yeah there is plenty to be excited of.

Chad Lee 4 years, 5 months ago

three top 50 pgs, I will optimistically say one should rise to the occasion. This team is not full of Selbys and Naas. Rodney if this is you being cautiously optimistic you don't have to worry the sun will come out tomorrow. These posts are not always directed at you It seems your negative way of looking at things has spread. you yourself said that Svi is a good get but the first thing you think is unrest and unhappiness within the team, all while saying Self seems to not be building a team. As if you are qualified to judge the situation.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 5 months ago

Well Chad what you call judging is called an opinion. We all have them. Including you. Not sure why you think a realistic approach means it is negative either. As I have seen in most all of your posts you seem to have a poor grasp on words and their meaning. I mean no offense just pointing out a fact. Let me provide an example, a realistic person knows for a fact the sun will come up tomorrow, but since they pay attention to the weather forecast and if it says the forecast is for rain, it might be a good idea to have an umbrella. Hope that helps. As for Self having a plan, I think my point is valid since he did not recruit Graham or Svi until just recently. I think we have been lucky to get these two players. It certainly was not good planning. Adding any player changes chemistry on a team. That makes sense too. So... sorry to rain on your parade but I think I have a fair post about the subject. No one is judging anyone just making an observation. Not sure if you will understand this, but well I tried.

Chad Lee 4 years, 5 months ago

Well atleast you know who you are the spokesman for the Debbie downers and I the sunshine puppy rainbow unicorn guy so says the Crain

Bernard Gregory 4 years, 5 months ago

I get so sick of coming on this site and keep reading about how bad the point guard play was last year, the poorest play with all respect was from the guy thats expected to go first in the draft who had the ball the most ,who played the most, and except for a couple of really good games didn't play well at all during crunch time. I know he has an upside but please all of you jump on the best headline person and crown them as better than the guys that have already showed their upside against real competition, give credit to some of those guys coming back who didn't get to showcase their talents because of the obvious goal was to make Wiggins the primary scorer. Most of ya'll never wanted to see Frank exceed from the beginning because it proved all your predictions wrong and will do it again this year now take that to the bank. No he is not going to redshirt and he is going to battle for playing time because he won't promised nothing and contrary to what some of ya'll believe he earned his playing time last year and will do so again this year.

Allen Shepard 4 years, 5 months ago

Andrew Wiggins had the greatest freshman season in the history of KU basketball.

Your argument is invalid.

Bernard Gregory 4 years, 4 months ago

don't get me wrong I am a Andrew Wiggins fan and he would say himself that he could have played a lot better especially in at least 7 to 8 of those losses and the stats will prove that. You keep saying the best freshman season in history maybe because no other freshman was given the keys to the car and was allowed to keep driving even when the car was going off the road. The numbers make your argument invalid. I am missing one loss but in 9 losses 45 for 111 from the field and 13 for 43 from 3 point. averaging 34 minutes a game.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 5 months ago

We did not lose 10 games last year due to AW. We did not have solid PG play nor leadership from that position. We also had issues with our PG defending overall too. It is still the biggest question for next season too. Frank is not the answer, it will take Svi a while too coming in so late. CF can play but is not a starter yet. Graham looks promising but will need to get the system down.

Ben Schwartz 4 years, 5 months ago

I actually think a fair majority of us really like Frank and want to see him succeed. The dude is a bulldog and has an ice-cold demeanor. He made plenty of freshman mistakes last season, but overall I think he over-achieved. It is way too early to crown him KU's savior at PG, but he certainly seems capable if he puts in the work and keeps maturing.

Bernard Gregory 4 years, 4 months ago

you are one of the few that post that feel that way and I also would not crown him the savior at this point without seeing whether or not he has progressed, but thats my point exactly some are crowning guys that have never played one minute of D1 basketball and red-shirting guys who have shown potential.

Dylan Wilson 4 years, 5 months ago

We could argue all day long about who will start and who will get the most minutes, but what it will come down to is who works the hardest on the practice floor and in the weight room. I think Svi is a very talented player with a high bball IQ, and I think he will work hard enough to earn significant minutes and help us on our quest for yet ANOTHER Big 12 Title. Rock Chalk!