Originally published May 8, 2014 at 08:02p.m., updated May 9, 2014 at 12:16a.m.

Andrew White to transfer from KU

Kansas guard Andrew White races up the court past Wake Forest forward Aaron Rountree during the second half of the Battle 4 Atlantis opening round on Thursday, Nov. 28, 2013 in Paradise Island, Bahamas.

Unable to crack the rotation in two seasons at Kansas University, with prospects for minutes not so great entering his junior year, Andrew White III will seek playing time at another school.

White, a 6-foot-6 sophomore wing from Richmond, Va., on Thursday cited a desire for playing time as reason for his plans to transfer to a yet-to-be-determined university.

“I spoke with my family and the coaches several times throughout the spring and after the season ended, discussing what my expected role would be on the team,” said White, who met with coach Bill Self on Thursday. “Coach Self told me it would be questionable to break into the rotation. My family and I decided it would be the best choice to move on and explore other school options.

“I’m definitely sad because I love my teammates,” he added in a phone interview with the Journal-World. “I love this school. I love the coaching staff. I didn’t have any problem with KU except for my playing opportunities. Everything else I could handle and was happy with. I love everything about this city, state and school. The one determining factor was one of the most important decisions in staying or leaving.”

White, who was ranked No. 51 in the recruiting Class of 2012 by Rivals.com, averaged 5.0 minutes a game in 25 games his freshman season and 5.9 minutes in 19 games his soph campaign. He played behind Andrew Wiggins, Wayne Selden, Brannen Greene and Conner Frankamp last season. KU brings in highly-regarded Kelly Oubre for 2014-15.

“We’re definitely disappointed about this, but also respect Andrew and the decision he’s made,” Self said. “Andrew and I talked periodically throughout the season and at the end of the season we discussed what his role could be potentially moving forward. He had a very good spring and we talked again today. He feels it is in his, and his family’s, best interest to pursue some other opportunities.”

White has been known as one of KU’s hardest workers, shooting baskets after midnight into the wee hours regularly in the Jayhawks’ practice facility.

“We respect everything about Andrew White,” Self said. “He’s been a great ambassador for our school. He’s a terrific student and terrific young man. He’s been nothing but positive and a great teammate for everyone in our program. He will be dearly missed. We wish him nothing but the best and we will do everything we possibly can to assist him with this move. Understand this, Andrew and I have talked about this, he will always be welcome in any capacity coming back to the University of Kansas because we think that highly of him.”

White, who has not chosen a transfer destination, went out with class on Twitter.

“It has been a meaningful two years here,” he wrote. “Thank you to all the fans, staff, friends and everyone who support my basketball career. Thanks basketball staff for allowing me to be here. Most importantly thanks to all my teammates. I love you all. It’s been a great experience witnessing this great of a school and program.”

He added in his official statement: “I’d like to thank the entire KU staff – the academic staff, trainers, strength and conditioning staff, managers – anybody who has ever supported me. I’d like to thank the coaching staff for giving me the opportunity to be here and taking me under their wing and teaching me all the things they have throughout my two years here. Most importantly my teammates; I look at those guys like brothers. I actually talked to them right after I talked with coach Self so we could discuss it amongst the team because I’ve always been a team-first guy. I’m going to miss those guys a great deal. I’m going to miss all of the fans that support Kansas basketball because those are the people that make a program like this go. They are important to us and I definitely feel the generosity and love from those people who have supported me and my career.”

Where will White transfer?

“I haven’t looked into it right now. I told my dad all along I didn’t want to deal with the recruiting process while I was here at Kansas,” White told the J-W. “Up until today I was pretty optimistic I’d still be here. I haven’t thought outside of being in a Kansas uniform up until two hours ago (8 p.m.) when the news broke. I’m still a long ways away from gathering information about schools in the future.”

He may or may not play back near his Virginia home.

“That isn’t a factor. Most schools will be within closer distance just because Kansas is so far away,” said White, whose 6-foot-2 junior brother Andrien is a mid-major to major-college point guard recruit entering a crucial AAU season. “I’m not limiting my school option to close to home. My decision to leave did not have anything to do with location. The only reason I’m leaving is because I wasn’t going to get a major opportunity to play.”

Of his son’s stay at KU, White’s dad, Andrew White II said: “It’s been a great ride, a beautiful ride. We’re elated as parents he had the opportunity to be at Kansas, to be on those teams, see those players come through. The crowd and the fans there ... it’s been a great experience for Andrew.

“He loves Kansas. They treated him so very well. He’s been very very successful as a student there. His mother and I are very proud of what he’s been able to accomplish academically and even from a basketball standpoint he’s been in position of being a role player there. We’ve relished him adjusting to that. We love Kansas and are really happy Andrew was there.”

KU, which last week lost Naadir Tharpe to transfer, has two scholarships available in recruiting. KU is reportedly recruiting Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, a 6-foot-6, 190-pound wing from Cherkassy, Ukraine, who turns 17 in June. He has been compared to NBA player Manu Ginobili. Other schools reportedly involved include SMU, Virginia, Oregon and Michigan.

KU has signed point guard Devonte’ Graham, wing Kelly Oubre and center Cliff Alexander.

Comments

5 months, 2 weeks ago

Wishing you nothing but the very best for your future Andrew, I hope you find a spot that suits you and play well my friend! RCJH

Brandon Mahon 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I loved AW3 I only wish him the best of luck. Who steps in now? We have two free scholarships available, those can be used this year or next I wonder who will fill

Andy Tweedy 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I really liked this kid...hope something works out for him! Always a Jayhawk!!!

Dirk Medema 5 months, 2 weeks ago

"Understand this, Andrew and I have talked about this, he will always be welcome in any capacity coming back to the University of Kansas because we think that highly of him.”

Plenty of other players have come and gone early, and coach is always as positive as possible about it, but I don't ever remember him commenting anywhere near this before. High, high creeds to AWIII. You're going to rock somewhere in another year or 2, as well as going on.

Eric TheCapn 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Jonathan Allison 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I thought the same thing when I read that statement from Coach Self. What a vote of confidence for AWIII, the person, even though Self didn't show much confidence last year in AWIII the player.

Maybe he'll be a Grad assistant in 2017-2018?

David Reed 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Dirk I thought the exact same thing. That line is something you never hear from Self in reguards to a player leaving. High praise for AW3

Jeremy Wilhelm 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Bummer. Loved this kid and thought he'd have a chance to become a Releford-type of guy if he stuck around. Wish him all the best.

Clarence Haynes 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Classy young man! It was a numbers game...too many shooters and not enough balls. Best of luck AWIII!

Mark Lindrud 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Good luck. I wish him the best. It just didn't work out here. We don't need to add more guys this year, but wait to use the scholarships next year. I hope he finds a place that he can play and do well.

Suzi Marshall 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Very sad to see this classy guy leave. He's the kind of kid you'd like to see your daughter bring home for Christmas dinner. If he had taken a RS next year, he would have been really tough to beat out by anyone as a RS Junior.

Good luck AWIII. We all love you.

Brianna Zaleski 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Feel really bad for Andrew. Incredible work ethic and teammate, from what we hear. But I just do t think he's built for the bright lights. The kid just couldn't cash it in when he had his opportunities. That spot bw him, CF and Greene was his for the taking this year and he was given opportunities, but he was never able to hit when it mattered.

He'll be good to great at a school w a smaller stage.

Good luck kid!

Robert Brock 5 months, 2 weeks ago

This is a great-quality kid who will be coaching big-time hoops someday. We will miss him.

Josh Galler 5 months, 2 weeks ago

To Wake for AWIII? sad to see him go, but KU is stack at 2/3

Brett McCabe 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Wake makes a lot of sense. It could be a perfect opportunity for him.

Joe Baker 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Something tells me that Manning will be all over AW3. He'd be a great fit for Wake with Manning's system which is fairly close to Self's.

All the best to AW3 and with pt, he'll be a difference maker. He justed needed some pt to get into his game.

Walter Bridges 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Why would he go to Wake? Manning had already left for Tulsa before White ever played at KU. They might have had some interaction during his recruitment but other than that, I don't see any reason for him to end up at Wake Forest.

If anything, I think VCU would be a much better option but they don't have any scholarships available. I hate seeing him leave. He was the type of player that Coach Self use to develop and would have had a strong four year career at KU.

Benz Junque 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Why? Because Self has likely called Danny Manning and said "hey we have a Top 40 recruit that we don't have any minutes for, got any need?" If we can't find a spot for him, Self would easily see the opportunity to hook up a friend as well as get Andrew closer to his Virginia home.

Walter Bridges 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Maybe, especially since Wake still has a scholarship available since one of their commits wants out of his letter of intent. Maybe we can sign Shelton Mitchell and call it even.

Mitchell is ranked No. 58 in the nation by Scout.com and No. 76 by Rivals.com

Ben Schwartz 5 months, 2 weeks ago

How are we stacked at the 2 and 3? We are 2-deep at both positions. More specifically we have 2 combo guards (Selden, Frankamp) and 2 swingmen (Greene, Oubre). That is a pretty good core set of players, but I'm not so sure we are stacked.

One could say we are stacked at PF, though.

Walter Bridges 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Selden is a combo guard? Never saw him once at the point.

Ben Schwartz 5 months, 2 weeks ago

To be fair, you are correct in that he never played 1 last year.

However, I think it is well-known he is a Dwyane Wade-type guy who has a capable PG skill set. He may never run a play in college, but I predict he may in the NBA.

“I think next year, from that (point-guard) position, you have Devonte’, you have Conner (Frankamp), you have Frank (Mason) and then Wayne (Selden Jr.) will develop into a guy that can do that spot-wise time to time,” Self said. “That may be about as deep a position as we have on our team if guys continue to get better and improve.”

Walter Bridges 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Good article...thanks. Wish Self had tried that last year then have White or Greene play the 2.

Ben Schwartz 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Wiggins took 80% of the available minutes at the 3 last season and left slim pickings for our bench SG's trying to out-hustle Selden. Add to that his injury set-back, which drained the rest of his playing opportunities.

I really thought AW3 would see quite a bit of court time this year between the 2 and 3 among Oubre (extremely unlikely Self gives him the leash Wiggins had), Greene, and Selden (Frankamp would be in the mix for some 2 as well, but one of our guards has to be running point). AW3 could have potentially brought valuable leadership to the team (something I had hoped he would do last season), as he always seemed like he had his head on straight.

I am very sad to see him go. AW3 is the type of kid we all want the team to be made up of when we are jumping on the "OAD's don't fit in at KU" bandwagon. Here is a perfect example of a kid who came in as a decent, but not blue chip, recruit and worked his butt off to get playing time so he could be a big time contributor as an upperclassman. I think it is a big step away from something a lot of us want when a kid like AW3 decides to transfer.

Again, very sad to see him go, but wish him only the best. After hearing about/seeing his off-season efforts, it is hard to not want to see him succeed.

Titus Canby 5 months, 2 weeks ago

+1. As much as I love winning, I miss the days of true student athletes too. Give me a whole team of Andrew Whites. Someone else mentioned this, but if he would have redshirted, he may have had tons of playing time his junior and senior years. Another Travis Releford or better. I'll miss you AWIII. Good luck in your next stop.

Ben Schwartz 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I loved Wiggins and, even more so, Embiid. I think extremely highly of McLemore, thought Henry was a great player mixed up in a poor situation, and even thought Selby's heart was in the right place despite being misguided by NBA aspirations.

However, until proven otherwise, I am convinced we need a Travis Releford, Russell Robinson, Darnell Jackson, Sherron Collins, etc. in order to be a "pedigree" Kansas team. I thought AW3 was that guy for us, but it is quite possible his ability just didn't match up to his effort level (which makes it even more frustrating for Andrew and us as the fans rooting for him).

I look for Selden to be that guy for us next year. He may not have the years, but he clearly seems to have bought in to Kansas basketball. If not, I think we are in for another long year unless Cliff comes in and maybe shows us some (what would be rather surprising) maturity (kind of like Julius Randle seemed to have for UK).

I agree that a mix of temporary talent can help the program, but we can't play Self Ball without the "sense of direction" the previously listed guys gave the team.

Wiggins is an extraordinary talent, was the sole reason we won some games, and I am glad he wore Crimson and Blue, but imagine our team last year with Releford instead of Wiggins. Better yet, imagine the team last year with OAD talent (Wiggins/Embiid/Selden), AND hard-nosed senior leadership (Collins/Robinson playing point for us, Releford as a rotation player at the 2 and 3, Black and Jackson as rotation players at the 4 and 5). You put one of those previously mentioned 4-year players on the team last year and we would be talking a whole different turkey.

Michael Sillman 5 months, 2 weeks ago

This is one transfer where I think the kid made the right choice. Self would have been very happy to keep White as a back-up and practice player but he clearly was not in Self's plans for significant playing time.

I think that White is way too good to just be an insurance policy. He'll find a lot of playing time somewhere else.

I agree with Ben Schwartz that this is one of the things that we will lose as the program pulls in more OAD's. The OAD's will force out the kids who might have stayed with the hope of playing in their junior and senior years.

Rodney Crain 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I wish him well. He just got caught up in a numbers crunch.

Steve Zimmerman 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm very sorry you're leaving us, White. Thanks for your entertaining 3s. Keep working on that. Good luck in your new place. We will miss you!!

Jonathan Allison 5 months, 2 weeks ago

AWIII has been a highly classy guy at KU. Even in announcing his transfer. I really liked him, but if Self thinks that we're going to land Sviatoslav then would make for even less minutes for AWIII going forward.

Jonathan Andrews 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Yeah, Svi legitimately has the same ability as Oubre to come in and contribute immediately. I didn't even know he was considering college in the States, that's awesome!

That said, I am bummed for Andrew. Best of luck, and onward Christian soldier!

Robin Smith 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Mykhailiuk would be huge. I couldn't believe it when I read that.

Walter Bridges 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Most likely he will end up playing at Virginia if he comes to the States.

Matt Spitzli 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I always liked AWIII's game. I was surprised he didn't get more PT. Will be very sad to see him go.

Joe Baker 5 months, 2 weeks ago

You have to love this kid. He deserves the best with his attitude. He never showed any poor body language and never a negative word at any point. A program is going to get a top notch player with AW3.

Who will be the lucky program to snatch AW3? I hope it's Manning and Wake.

Jack Wilson 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Ben's comment above is excellent, in my opinion.

Most of us can agree that if Wiggins would not have signed, White would have been starting the season at the 3. That was clearly Self's pecking order to start the season. Wiggins signing took away White's opportunity to show what he could do with a full-time opportunity. Greene may have come on and beat him out, or Self might have moved Selden to the 3 and started Mason or CF with Tharpe. Who knows.

But selling our soul a bit for the supposedly prized OAD (Wiggins), who is now gone to his predetermined NBA destination, got us absolutely squat.

White looked promising when he was best player in Europe prior to 2012-13. And when Self played him at the 4 against Belmont -- 15 points. Excellent rebound rate his freshman season. Nearly won the Ok. St. game at home. When he played early this season, he looked pretty solid to me. He just needed that elusive opportunity.

I would have been very interested to see how he would have done starting for a 10 or 15 game stretch. Just the opportunity. But, we all got watch Wiggins take the playing time and then shuffle off to the NBA. Our lives are all so much fuller thanks to that 5 month interlude, and a player treating KU as a pit stop.

If White would have played, and failed, that's one thing. But he never got the chance to prove what he could do with real playing time. Obviously, there was/is something about his game that Self didn't like. That's Self's call. So best that he transfer. I'm glad for AW3 that he made this choice and I hope he gets his opportunity.

There is no perfect answer. But I know I like the idea better of rolling the dice with guys like White and Greene, instead of guys like Wiggins and Oubre.

Yea, I know .. we don't know for sure that Oubre is an OAD. Folks speculated here that Wiggins might stay because he would fall in love with KU. Right. Getting guys that already have one foot out the door and an eye on the NBA, as opposed to guys that have to come in and work hard for that opportunity, is the wrong path, in my opinion.

Ben said it best above - "I think it is a big step away from something a lot of us want when a kid like AW3 decides to transfer."

Completely agree.

Andrew Horigan 5 months, 2 weeks ago

We haven't even seen Oubre play and you're already assuming he's a OAD and that we shouldn't have gotten him, or that in some way recruiting top ranked high school prospects is "the wrong path". Please stop, that's ridiculous. I for one am excited to see what he'll be able to do. Self puts the best players on the floor and he definitely knows more than you about recruiting and building a basketball program, if AW3 isn't a part of it, oh well, we've got plenty of other guys that will be. Best of luck to him, but we've had lots of players transfer when we weren't starting perceived OAD's for playing time and we'll have more in the future.

Jack Wilson 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Well, I won't stop, and it's not ridiculous.

Coach Self took a team to within minutes of a national title in 2012. No OADs.

Coach Self took a team with no OADs to a national title in 2008.

No team has won a national title with an OAD other than Syracuse in 2003 and UK in 2012. That's it.

On Oubre, it's a pretty high probability that he's an OAD. But you're right, maybe not. It's just a gamble. Maybe Oubre stays three seasons. But we do know that Andrew White is a highly talented player, not some scrub, came here, worked hard, and played well when given the opportunity. But he's pushed out the door (likely won't crack the rotation) in favor of more freshmen who are likely done after one season.

Would you rather have Travis Releford, or Kelly Oubre?

See, I'd take Releford. That doesn't seem quite that ridiculous.

Andrew Horigan 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Your comparing players from different years that wouldn't have even played together, lets look at this year. Oubre or White. If Self believes that we are in a better position to succeed with Oubre, then Oubre it is. I'm on Self's side any day of the year. If White was as talented as you believe he is then I think Self would have given him a little more playing time than he did last year, rather than going to Greene.

What I think is ridiculous is that you seem to think that if we recruit players that are highly rated and may leave early, we are on the wrong path. That is where I fully disagree with you.

Brett McCabe 5 months, 2 weeks ago

We didn't make it to the second weekend. Just a reminder.

Andrew Horigan 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Right BUT do you do remember 2004-05 when we had a team led by seniors who lost in the first round to Bucknell? Experience doesn't always lead to a deep March run.

Walter Bridges 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I'd rather have players like Andrew White who will do far more for the program than any OAD. We just had the most hyped player that I can remember and didn't make it to the Sweet 16.

I certainly do not blame Wiggins or Embiid for losing, having a competent PG would have gone a long way towards making us a serious contender but when I see players such as AW3 leaving the program, it does cause concern.

Benz Junque 5 months, 2 weeks ago

There is no guarantee that White's junior and senior years would have done anything more than the freshmen years of Wiggins and then Oubre. NONE. We watched a team with four senior starters (including two that were 5th year guys) LOSE a game they should have won easily to Michigan, who was the youngest team in the tourney two years ago.

If the biggest problem we have is that there are more good players on the team than we can find room for then life is good. I wish White was able to perform at a level that warranted more minutes but he wasn't. Maybe he would have been able to beat out a freshman by the time he was a senior but you never know.

Kansas returns a number of excellent players for next year. A few may leave early and several will return again for the following season. You can wish all you want that things were different but they aren't. There is no guarantee that a team with a OAD cannot win a title than there is a guarantee that a team with four senior starters will win a title. To imply otherwise is simply lying to try to support a baseless argument.

Shane Johnston 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Not IF the choice is between Oubre as a freshman or Releford as a a redshirt junior or senior. Releford was here 5 years. You're comparing 5 years of production to 1 year of production (if Oubre is OAD).

Jack Wilson 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Shane: You hit on part of my point.

What is better -- a constant parade of guys playing one season, which appears to be Self's preference in focusing on OADs; or developing guys and having them be a part of the program?

Andrew: I understand you disagree. I think I am in a distinct minority. I believe that a program is built on players that see the program as the most important consideration. How can any presumed OAD feel that way when they're leaving before they even start?

There is a significant learning curve even for the most talented freshmen.

Further, I think that coach Self is quite frankly at his best with more experienced players. I think most coaches are. Self is a system coach and thus his players must adjust to his system -- it's not the other way around.

I would rather have guys like TRob, or the Morrisses, for three years, than guys like Cliff Alexander for one.

Andrew Horigan 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I definitely agree that experience and leadership are valuable, and I'd love to have a team with both talented young players that could possibly leave early, with seniors that know the Bill Self system and are leaders.

I'd also like to say that I'd like to see the OAD rule changed to at least 2-3 years mandatory in college, if they do choose to go to school. Unfortunately with the system in place, we have to live with some of the most talented players being OAD's, and that is my point, I don't think we should shy away from those players because of the potential to leave early.

But for this year and this argument, I gotta say I'm excited for Oubre and believe he'll give us a great chance to be successful. More so than White as a Junior. Although I did love White's work ethic and his attitude seemed to be extremely positive for spending so much time on the bench, Self thinks Oubre is the way to go and I gotta agree with Self.

Shane Johnston 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I suppose I agree with you that Self and his system are better suited to "program" players However, I'm not saying the choice is between a team of all seniors and a team of all freshman. Can't we agree that a mix of OAD talent with some four-year rotation players is a better way to compete for championships every year? I am disappointed that AWIII transferred and would love for him to be part of the mix.

I suspect where we differ is on the right balance. You feel like we have strayed too far towards OADs. I would say this:

The OAD issue is overblown, because there are so many more presumed OADs than actual OADs. Only 3 - 5 players are OAD each year. The number of presumed OADs is probably 4x that number. The problem with presumed OADs is with the people doing the presuming. If fans are unhappy with this year then compare the result with what it would have been without Wiggins and JoJo.

More of those players come back for another year than you assume. This past year is not the new normal in terms of OADs. KU's experience was not common and you shouldn't act like it is. We had 3 actual OADs (Tarik counts). Wiggins and JoJo are rare talents. It's not fair to Kelly and Cliff to compare them to those guys. The way the year turned out last year with Wiggs and JoJo does not mean it will also happen again next year. OADs are one component of the basketball team.

You also mention that only two championship teams have had OAD guys in recent years. So the odds of winning a championship are not great. What are the odds of winning a championship for teams without OAD guys? The odds are low either way but the odds are lower without them.

Jack Wilson 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Shane: It is a difficult topic because the OAD thing is not a black and white issue as you point out -- guys do come back that might be unexpected. I guess I'm more sour on the presumed OADs. Embiid was not one of those. I do think, reasonably, Alexander and Oubre are.

However, you say odds are lower of winning a title without them. Remember, every team other than Syracuse in 2003 and UK in 2012 have won national titles without any OADs.

Andrew: Well, I'm definitely excited about both Cliff and Oubre. I really like Wiggins attitude and approach as well. My quarrel is just with the concept of presumed OADs at KU, under coach Self -- the under coach Self part is really important to my position. I had posted this on another site, link below. I appreciate your points and the discussion.

Shane Johnston 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I scanned the link. You are right about the amount of OAD drama that comes from recruiting services and the media. However, you give a free pass to fans. The source of OAD drama comes from expectations and presumptions imposed by media and fans alike. If fans dislike the OAD drama, then I think they should stop making presumptions and reading articles that clearly reinforce their presumptions about how many years an incoming recruit will stay on campus.

The main thing that matters for the program is whether players actually come back. We can't know that until after the season, It doesn't make sense to me to criticize Kelly (or the coaches that recruited him) until after he makes the decision to leave. If he ultimately decides to stay another year or two, then that probably changes the way people think about the AWIII transfer.

Shane Johnston 5 months, 2 weeks ago

The year Syracuse wins the championship with Carmelo. If there are 3 other teams in college ball with an actual OAD player, then for teams with OAD palyers, 1/4 won the title. That means out of the remaining 300+ teams without an OAD player, none of them won. In 2004, one out of the 300+ without an OAD player did win. For those few teams with actual OADs, 0 out of 4 won a title.

Syracuse and UK are the only teams to win with a OAD player, but there are fewer teams with OADs. Those teams win less but they have fewer chances to win. That was my only point.

Benz Junque 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Focusing on OADs? What planet do you live on? Wiggins was a powerball win; no one on the coaching staff really thought we had a chance of landing him until he actually announced. And Embiid was anything but a OAD when KU began recruiting him. What should Self do, say NO to Wiggins? What should he have done when he noticed that Embiid's game was improving at a rapid rate over the summer, STOP recruiting him for fear he would get too good and leave after one season?

Just stop with this ridiculousness.

Shane Johnston 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Wiggins "got us absolutely squat." C'mon. Would you say the same about any other player to go through the program without a championship?

Walter Bridges 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I think the world of both Wiggins and Embiid and hope that they both have great NBA careers but what did they accomplish in their one year at Kansas. We did win another regular season championship despite stumbling towards the finish line but in the Big 12 Tournament we had our butts handed to us and didn't even make it to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA.

Now they are gone and once again we are going to have an inexperienced team with the exception of Ellis. Everyone else will be a sophomore or a freshman. I find myself fully agreeing with Mr. Wilson. I would much rather see players such as White go through the learning process and by their junior and senior years become the leaders of a team that has both experience and depth.

White reminded me of Travis Releford but with a higher ceiling. I hope he finds success wherever he ends up.

Matthew Pyle 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I still think he can be a very strong D1 player. I bet he ends up being a stud for whatever school he lands at....

Tony Bandle 5 months, 2 weeks ago

OAKVILLE ODDITIES:

1] First off, I am pleased by all the classy responses posted today regarding AWIII's transfer. Well done, fellow Jayhawks. AWIII always did what was asked of him and deserves our respect and best wishes.

2] Remembering the KU locker room video "Happy Dance" that went viral, AWIII was the second best dancer on the team next to BenMac.

3] With AWIII's departure , I guess the wing slot opend up for another candidate, however, wouldn't the kid from the Ukraine be pretty much in the same boat as AWIII was with Kelly and Branden already here?

4] It feels so bizarre having two open KU schollies well into May.

5] Has anyone drafted Manziel yet?? :)

6] I wonder if Landen Lucas may be the next one to go...I fervently hope not, but I know with Cliff for '14/'15 and the two footers we are recruiting hard for '15/'16, he may get lost in the shuffle. There may be one positive with Myles going to UT.....he won't be taking minutes from Landen.

7] With the extra schollie, I would offer another point guard....just sayin'.

8] With AWIII's departure Kansas gets younger and younger. Currently on the team, who projects as a four year player: My guess, Lucas, Frankamp, Greene, Mickelson, Traylor Mason......everyone else is up in the air or gone for sure.

Mark Lindrud 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I say leave the squad as is this year and use the scholarships next year. We have depth and experience with no seniors leaving. Just in case both Alexander and Oubre stay another year we can still bring in two guys next year.

Right now we have: 3: Oubre, Greene 4: Ellis, Traylor, Alexander 5: Alexander, Lucas, Mickelson 2: Selden, Greene, Frankamp 1: Mason, Frankamp, Graham

We can go with these guys this year and bring in more depending on who leaves. Not to mention, Traylor, Ellis, Mickelson are juniors so a big man will be needed in the next recruiting class. I think it would be the smart thing to do.

Tony Bandle 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Mark, great point...by tourney time next season, Bill will be down to his usual 8/9 man rotation so two or three of the schollie guys will be sitting anyway...why make it 4 or 5 guys sitting down??

Walter Bridges 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Unless some other player from a different program decides to transfer, there just isn't much left to recruit this year and he would need to sit out a year. Probably best to keep the scholarships until next year.

Lucas has already redshirted so I doubt he would transfer unless he wasn't getting any minutes. I thought he had flashes last year where he showed true potential.

Bill Jacobson 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Total class act. Hate to see him go but probably the best call for him. Wish him the best and he will always be part of this great KU family.

Kevin Jenkins 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Sorry he's leaving but understand him. Jack, you sound pretty right about things. Self took the best players he could get, but I have to agree sometimes a player just trying to showcase himself for the NBA. Isn't always the best fit for a college program. AW3 could have helped the program succeed in another championship given the opportunity. Best of luck to him. Just didn't see him play enough to know if he was any good.

John Fitzgerald 5 months, 2 weeks ago

It's always tough to see a guy transfer, especially one as great as AWIII. We have to understand college basketball is a business. No hard feelings, but if you don't perform up to expectations, then you're going to be moving on. We don't just go after good guys to play for us, we go after championships, and in order to get championships we need the best players. Sure, the 2008 team wasn't full of OAD's, and of course the OAD thing wasn't as big as it is now, but we still were loaded with talent. Wining is our tradition here at Kansas, and that's the way it will always be. Would you rather win or have a team full of super nice guys that don't win? It's not always about the guy playing, it's about the team, it's about the tradition of the program, and it's about what the fans want to see.

Shane Johnston 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Kentucky is interesting to think about when it comes to the business side of college ball. Kentucky's attendance has dropped (a little) each year under Calipari and one possible concern is that the OADs are making fans less attached to the program.

1) would AWIII have transferred if Kelly was a recruit ranked 30-50, rather than top 10? 2) Does AWIII's transfer affect how any fans follow the team next year?

John Fitzgerald 5 months, 2 weeks ago

That's very interesting .... But I hate, or love, to say Kentucky isn't Kansas. We have the best fan base in the country. And Look at what Wiggins did? Late nights attendance was INSANE and it was mostly because of him. But I get your point and it could very well be possible if fans start getting tired of it.

Janet Olin 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Andrew is a class act. I'm sorry he's leaving but I understand. Best of everything to you, Andrew, and Jayhawk Nation will cheer for you where ever you land. Once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk.

Walter Bridges 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I wonder if he made an agreement NOT to play at another Big 12 school?

Dan Burns 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Andrew, this comes as no surprise. From the beginning of this season, I was hoping to see you get more game time because you are an outstanding player with tons of potential. Hopefully, wherever you land, you get the court time you deserve. KU has been loaded with talent since you came on and I not only understand why Rio left last year and why you've made the same choice. I truly hope the best for you.

Tony Bandle 5 months, 2 weeks ago

By next season's conference games, the starting line-up will be: Cliff, Perry, Kelly, Wayne and Devonte.[four Mickey D's..not bad].

First off the bench, point guard - Frank, shooting guard - Conner, wing - Brannen, power forward - Jamari, Center - Landen/Hunter.

Correct me if I am wrong but won't this will be the first season of the last five that KU does NOT have a seven footer on the team?

Carolyn Troupe 5 months, 2 weeks ago

AWIII seemed like a great kid. It seemed to me that often when he was inserted into a game, he wasn't given much time to do anything before he would be back out. I wonder about the ego that some of these kids must have to realize that if you are not an absolute OAD blue-chipper maybe you should think twice about coming to KU. You may not play much. I loved the fact that Travis R. stuck around and how that payed off for our program.

Chris Bailey 5 months, 2 weeks ago

What a great kid that I had such high hopes for. Best of luck to you in the future. I hope we all know where he ends up. I would most definitely like to watch him play. He still has the potential to be a very good player and with a red shirt year he could really come on strong. Best wishes AW3. You are a classy kid and have nothing but respect for you.