Originally published March 27, 2014 at 08:27a.m., updated March 28, 2014 at 12:34a.m.

Self: Positively no decision has been made regarding Joel Embiid’s future

Kansas center Joel Embiid raises up the fieldhouse during a Jayhawk run in the second half on Friday, Nov. 22, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Joel Embiid is still a Kansas Jayhawk ... for now at least.

Embiid on Thursday took to Twitter to renounce an early-morning Yahoo Sports report that said the 7-footer from Cameroon had begun the process of finding an agent and was expected to formally announce his intentions “soon.”

“Haven’t made a decision yet,” Embiid wrote to KU signee Cliff Alexander, who had tweeted his congratulations to the 20-year-old Embiid, who averaged 11.2 points and 8.1 boards this past season for the 25-10 Jayhawks.

Also, Embiid’s mentor, Luc Mbah a Moute of the Minnesota Timberwolves, tweeted that Embiid has “not yet made a decision!”

What’s more, KU coach Bill Self told the Journal-World late Thursday morning that “positively no decision has been made regarding Joel Embiid’s future.”

The conversation with the J-W took place with Embiid seated in Self’s office.

“I have Jo in my office right now. ... He didn’t know where that came from,” Self said of the report. “No decision has been made on what he’s going to do next year at all. I’m telling you, no decision at all has been made. I think he’s still a little ways away from that. That information that was reported did not come from Jo.”

Self was asked if any news regarding Embiid’s future was imminent and said no.

“As of now, this kid has not made any decision yet. He needs some time to make a good, informed decision,” Self said.

Asked specifically about Adrian Wojnarowski’s Yahoo Sports report, Self added, “That’s the way this business works. There are all kinds of reports out there that are not accurate. That doesn’t mean it couldn’t potentially be accurate in the future.”

DraftExpress.com currently has Embiid being selected second overall in the 2014 Draft behind KU teammate Andrew Wiggins. NBAdraft.net has Duke’s Jabari Parker No. 1, followed by Embiid, then Wiggins. One NBA source told the Journal-World that word is Embiid will likely be picked No. 1, Parker 2 and Wiggins 3.

As far as the back injury that kept Embiid from playing in KU’s last six games of the season, Wojnarowski wrote: “There’s a strong expectation Embiid will make a full recovery, but NBA teams will closely examine the long-term fitness of the injury.”

Forward a free agent: KU may have interest in former Temple power forward Anthony Lee, who will graduate in May and has decided to play his final season elsewhere, Rivals.com reported Thursday. The 6-foot-9 Lee, who averaged 13.6 points and 8.6 rebounds in 2013-14, recently told ESPN.com he had narrowed his list to Ohio State, Indiana, Louisville, Iowa State and Notre Dame. According to ESPN, Lee grew up in Maryland but his parents currently live in Moline, Ill.

“It was a tough decision to narrow it to those five schools, but I feel as though those are all great programs with great coaches,” Lee told ESPN. “It’s going to be hard to pick one of those schools. I want to go somewhere that can help me develop as a player, and also somewhere that my parents can see me play.”

Comments

Randy Glenn 6 months, 3 weeks ago

One more year w Hudy will make a BIG difference!!!!

Mark Lindrud 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Absolutely agree. Many have been saying him staying another year to get stronger and develop his game would do him a world of good. After that I'll wish him the best. I'm just worried his body isn't ready to take the pounding of the pros if he's getting hurt now in college.

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Embiid is wise not to announce publicly until he has hired an agent. I can't imagine that he'd allow any news media to break his announcement before he gets to sit in front of the microphone for a press conference.

I'm sure the he'll announce his intention sooner rather than later. Bill Self has to attend the final four next weekend. Also, if the Myles Turner decision is waiting on the Embiid announcement, then Self will urge Embiid to not hesitate once he's firm on his decision.

Mo Golany 6 months, 3 weeks ago

One more year can make a big difference in his development yes but lets be real even if he drops to #3 how much higher could he go next year. If he comes back and does worse or gets hurt again he will drop and lose out on money. JoJo I would love for you to come back but realistically he has to do what is best for him and his family.

Beau Woolsey 6 months, 3 weeks ago

If he goes I just want him to go to a good team not the Cavs, Pistons, Kings, or Jazz those teams have plenty at his position I hope he ends up with the Celtics or 76'ers.

Tony Bandle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

There are a dozen reasons for Jo Jo to stay at KU...that's why I reason he will leave. His window of opportunity is now because all he can do is maintain his top lottery pick thru next year.

Even though his injury not as potentially serious as the Greg Oden knees, his back injury is a red flag to his family and advisors to not take a chance and miss this opportunity.

Despite all the rational reasons for him to stay [strength, development, college life, etc.] the two things college cannot offer him is the huge dollars and the chance to learn against the best players in the world.

I will be a fan of what ever teams pick up Andrew and Joel and can only thank these two fine young men. for a season that was one hell of a ride.

Let me be the first to welcome, Myles Turner to Kansas. Myles...the "paint" is yours. Just a word of advice, however...make sure you know where Cliff is at all times!!!! :)

Benz Junque 6 months, 3 weeks ago

So long as they don't go to the Lakers. I really cannot cheer for the Lakers, at least while Kobe Bryant still plays there.

Aaron Paisley 6 months, 3 weeks ago

The back injury is not a red flag. There's been plenty of other athletes who have suffered the same injury, Bill Self specifically cited Emeka Okafor his last year at UConn when they won their 2nd title because the timeline of Okafor's injury was similar to Embiid's. Okafor was still the 2nd overall pick in that draft and has had a pretty productive career. If Embiid's career turns out to be similar to Okafor's, there's far worse fates than being 10+ year NBA player even if he's not a star.

Jim Jackson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

100% agree, Andre Drummond had the same injury last year and he was back in 3 weeks. He continues to dominate today.

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Just doesn't have the same ring as Hakeem Olajuwon especially after that he just sat out his entire 10th season due to his bad back.

Jack Wilson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Oh, the back injury is a red flag. Embiid apparently dealt with back issues in high school. Could it be a bump in the road and nothing serious? Sure.

Imagine how much of a red flag it would be if he came back to KU and had another back injury?

Sam Constance 6 months, 3 weeks ago

He would still get drafted in the lottery. Probably not top three, but still in the lottery.

That's how NBA GMs work. They can't help themselves when they see someone as potentially franchise-changing as Embiid. The fact that Greg Oden went #1 is proof of that.

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Utterly ridiculous Sam, no NBA GM/Owner/President would have drafted Greg Oden knowing about the microfracture's in his knees.

You know why? Because he would have started less than 100 games since being drafted in 2007.

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Great post Tony! Even better if Perry knows where Cliff is at all times!!!! Roadkill!!

Benz Junque 6 months, 3 weeks ago

The only good news about this type of leak is that it may speed up Embiid's official announcement. Really, Kansas is in a win-win here. One of three scenarios will likley occur:

1) Embiid rumors are wrong and he stays at Kansas for another season

2) Embiid rumors are true and we replace him with Myles Turner

3) Embiid rumors are true and we keep his schooly open to sign a graduated transfer PG that can play right away.

I suppose that a fourth option is that Embiid leaves, Turner still goes elsewhere and KU signs no ready-now transfer and has a scholly open for the year but I don't see that as very likely. No matter which of the three options listed above happen, Kansas is in good shape for next season. I don't see any way that we aren't a better team next year than we were this year.

Joseph Bullock 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Can you name an outstanding PG, who is eligible to transfer, who might want to transfer to Kansas? Either D1 or Ju-Co? If we do get one, I hope he is a tall PG, because our best teams normally have size, and great athleticism, at that position! I hope Embiid comes back for another year. With everything I have heard, I don't think the back injury will be a factor, especially if we give him a lot more time off now, to heal properly, which probably did not happen, from his injury last year. I also have no problem at all, if Embiid leaves, as long as we get Miles Turner. He seems to be a great young man, and that just might give us the #1 Recruiting Class in the Country. I think Alexander goes to the #1 Recruit, when all is said and done. He already got the Naismith Award! Rock Chalk!

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

There has been several coaching changes made this season and I wouldn't be surprised to find a decent point guard or two among those players considering switching teams.

I also like tall point guards but would gladly settle for one who can make good decisions, sharp passes, defend the ball and has decent shooting range.

Rodney Crain 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Huh a scholarship might be open for a graduated transfer PG. Imagine that...

Joseph Bullock 6 months, 3 weeks ago

PS: The #1 Back Specialist in the Country, did say that this type of injury poses no long term affect, and will heal completely, without surgery, and also that it is rather normal, among tall basketball players, so staying, working with Hudy to strengthen his back, and the rest of his body, may be just what the Doctor ordered! Hey, that was good, right. ha ha ha ha ha

Benz Junque 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Joel Embiid has not declared for the NBA Draft yet.

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Several sources say otherwise but I would be happy to be wrong Benz.

Benz Junque 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Joel Embiid has specifically stated that Joel Embiid has not declared for the NBA Draft. I think that's the only source that matters.

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

As I said Benz...no desire to be correct. I hope you are right despite mounting evidence to the contrary.

Robin Smith 6 months, 3 weeks ago

you do realize that you've posted no additional information than what is present in this very article, which is stating that a decision has not been made

there was a rumor posted by a yahoo journalist, which was echoed and amplified, and then Embiid specifically refuted it -- end of story.

he may still go, but you're not actually supplying anything not already known and understood by the posters on this page.

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

GOLLY GEE Robin! You Just regurgitated the SAME Meaningless CRAP AGAIN!!

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

If Win-Win means another year without a decent PG and more OADs then yes..

Win-Win

Aaron Carpenter 6 months, 3 weeks ago

What is best for Embiid? I certainly don't know. Is becoming a better basketball player, at either level most important right now, or could it be personal growth and maturity as a student? Maybe he wants to enjoy this experience because once he signs he will never get this opportunity back. Maybe he wants his own personal financial independence, it seems his parents are doing alright. Maybe he wants to be the center of the spotlight and be maybe the biggest rookie story in the NBA next year. I don't know, none of us really do. As a fan I am worried that his back issues will push him into the NBA due to fear of reoccurring issues and detriment to his future career. I hope, selfishly, he stays, and we get to experience the joy of watching him another year. He is good for basketball, but even better for KU and Jayhawks everywhere!

Ian Emerson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I pretty much agree with everyone here. I just don't think his body is toned and developed enough yet for a grueling nba schedule. If he stays another year I really feel like it will do great things for him in the long run.

Ben Kane 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I thought not playing in the tournament might motivate him just enough to decide to come back. but let's be real, coming back and suffering another back problem is the only thing that could drastically change his draft stock in either direction. So a risk analysis clearly points to be it being smarter to go pro now regardless of how much he might improve with another year under his belt.

Benz Junque 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Another back injury won't hurt his draft stock. If you think that a crappy NBA team that finds itself with a Top 5 pick next year will pass on a talented seven footer because they are worried about his back then you're crazy. You do not pass on a talented 7 footer, EVER, no matter what red flags he has.

Jack Wilson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

That's pretty funny, really .. it might be a red flag, but a horrible NBA team would take the gamble. Probably right.

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Would you have passed up on Dwayne Schintzius just because he had a mullet?

OF COURSE NOT!

TAKE THE CHANCE!

Chad Greenlee 6 months, 3 weeks ago

if he stays another year his chances of living up to the hype only increase ... in pro sports you really only have one shot .. otherwise you become the "come back player of the year".. what top athlete wants that label?

Bryan Mohr 6 months, 3 weeks ago

If he's top 3 in the NBA draft board he should cash-in his golden ticket. How many of us KU fans will work our entire lives and probably never accumulate what he'll get paid in 1 year? Even if he's 1-and-done in the NBA, which is very unlikely to happen, he and his family in Cameroon are set for life, and can pursue an education and career outside basketball afterwards.

Benz Junque 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't think you have a very good concept of money. $3-4 million dollars pre-tax is not setting Embiid up for life, let alone him and his family. Give 40% to the US govt right away. Give another 5% to the state. Give 1-3% to your agent. The list is long. $3-4 million in salary is about $1.5 million in pocket. Spread that over a 60 year life span and that's only $25,000 a year. No chance he is set for life on one year in the NBA.

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Please don't tell me you're into wealth management. First off, 3-4 million isn't nearly in the range of a top 3 NBA pick. Anthony Bennett was GUARANTEED 11 million over 2 years... BMac got 6 million as the #7 overall pick.

His 3rd year calls for a 15.5% increase (team option), 20.1% 4th year also team option.

This is Anthony Bennett at CLEVELAND. A 'work in progress' as described by CLEVELAND.

Even Greg Oden has made $15 mill since 2007. No way JoJo doesn't get PAID.

"No chance he is set for life..???" That's Friggeninsanecrazyrediculous!!!

Jack Wilson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Benz, I don't know .. If he is a top 3 pick he's guaranteed over $7 million in two years, and a club option of $3.8 million in the third (that's for the #3 pick).

Let's say he nets 50% of that and doesn't ever play after his second season. That's $3.5 million. If he makes just 5% on his money, he would have $150,000 annually without touching principal (assuming he blows $500,000 and is left with $3 million). That is about worst case. If he get the third year, which is likely, then he has even more money.

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Thanks for making a sound argument.

And a kid that age should be targeting at least 20% interest in his investments right now.

The difference between being #5 this year and #1 next year is not enough to justify staying one more year financially. His advisors know this beyond doubt, and if he stays, that decision has nothing to do with money.

Benz Junque 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Did you just say that assuming a 19 year old kid doesn't touch any of the principal is a "sound argument"? I can barely stay away from an extra thousand if I have it and I am over 40. Let's not be naive here. He isn't going to leave his money untouched and live off his interest.

Jack Wilson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Well, I did assume in my example that he blew $500,000 at least ..

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Greg Oden has parlayed his injury prone career into somewhere near 15 million with under then 100 starts since being drafted in 2007. I can't see JoJo getting less than that since his injuries are far less serious than microfracture's in his knees.

Aaron Paisley 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Embiid's back injury is not a red flag for future long term back issues. The injury occurred as a result of a physical impact on the floor during a game, not an issue with him being too big for his back to support his weight.

Kyle Rohde 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I keep thinking about Tim Duncan, and hope Embiid has talked to him at some point. Duncan could have left after his freshman, sophomore or junior years and been the #1 pick but he stayed all four years and was able to go out and be a great NBA player immediately instead of being a project. He was still the #1 pick and is a no-doubt top 10-15 player of all-time now. That's the best case scenario for Joel and one I hope he's considering.

There's plenty of worst-case scenarios too, the most recent being Greg Oden, obviously.

Forrest Ranjer 6 months, 3 weeks ago

In the last few minutes I resigned my hope that JoJo would return. All the reasons for him to go are worth more than the reasons to stay. And that's not a comment about the Benjamins.

I've taken the deep swallow and am happy for him and ready to share him with the world. JoJo, thank you for a great year, thank you for sharing your smile with us, and thanks for the bench support you gave in our last few games. It had to be agonizing to sit and watch the team lose without being able to play.

I'm not certain I know of any benefits, beyond selfishness, to you staying at a great school and playing for a great team. You're so bright that you should be playing against the best because you will learn more from them than what we can teach you at KU.

Outside of Bryce and a couple of others, the fan base will love and remember you forever. Move on, big fella, and remember to visit. Rock chalk!

Tony Bandle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

If that's your real name, it's one of the coolest I've ever seen and your parents had a great sense of humor!! :)

Ian Emerson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Exactly. This is isn't a reoccurring injury. It was just when he got slammed to the ground in the Texas game.

Chad Greenlee 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Tim Duncan, David Robinson, The Dream.. no he doesn't

Dan Spurgin 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Embiid is offered potential top 3 pick $$$ on potential - those guys would not have received same $$$ for their potential. 20 yrs ago he would stay because he wouldn't be a top 3 based on what he's shown on court. Times have changed.

Benz Junque 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Duncan's rookie contract as the #1 overall was about the same dollar amounts as what the #4 overall pick will get next year. So not really much difference.

Kyle Rohde 6 months, 3 weeks ago

In this comparison, no, they haven't. Duncan would have been the #1 pick after his freshman, sophomore or junior years and ended up #1 after his senior year instead.

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

He should have gone as a top five last year. With this year's draft being much more talented, his decision (along with his coaches) has cost him millions.

Comparing him to three of the top centers in the game doesn't make your argument, in fact it shows why he should have went last year when there was less talent.

Benz Junque 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I thought it was his failure to improve his jumper and his assault of a fan that dropped his draft status?

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

It sure as hell didn't help but not nearly as much as the vastly deeper pool of talent. Let's say Smart improved his jumper (already Solid) and no problem w/any fan/ He would be one of your top 5 picks?

ANY decent agent would have told him last year was the right time to go..

Would BMac be Top 5 this year?

Jack Wilson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

How is everyone here just definitively stating that the back injury isn't a big deal?

He had back issue in high school, too. Folks that get stress fractures may ... may ... be prone to recurring stress fractures. So you can't say it's a one time thing.

The term is "stress". It was not a traumatic injury. A stress fracture is due to load or force being placed on an area over time and the bone not properly healing itself as it normally does. This is completely different than a fall, or one time deal. The stress fracture did not occur when he was "slammed to the ground."

One's own body composition -- the elements that heal bone -- can make that person more susceptible to stress fractures, too.

Most likely, it was a result of Embiid compensating for his knee injury (near ACL tear) in the TCU game, thus creating more load and stress due to his altered stride or gait, and protecting it when he landed after jumping. That's just speculation, but it fits completely. It then reared its ugly head in the WVU game at home when he landed awkwardly, and his back muscles seized up to protect it.

So if I'm an NBA team, yea, it's a red flag.

But more of a red flag if he stays at KU and has more back issues next season.

Rodney Crain 6 months, 3 weeks ago

What is interesting is how careful they were with him at the end of the season. You cannot discount two separate events with his back and not think they are not linked. Might not be a big deal, so maybe a yellow flag of caution, but it still is relevant. He did get thrown around a bit but that is going to happen at the next level too.

Sam Constance 6 months, 3 weeks ago

It's a deal, but I think the question--to me--is about long-term back health.

Say he is more prone to stress fractures. If that were the case, which do you think would be riskier to his long-term health? Getting stronger and spending time playing another 30-40 game season where you have no more than two games a week? Or jumping into an 82-season grind where you sometimes play three nights in a row (not common, but it does happen).

So the question becomes more complex than whether he should stay here and develop further and potentially lose his top-three draft status, or go now and guarantee that top-three draft status. It's now a question of:

Potential to drop in draft and get a smaller first contract + increased likelihood of long-term health

vs.

Higher immediate draft stock + increased likelihood of long-term health problems.

To me, the former is the correct answer because I don't think there is a single injury that he could incur next year that is related to his back that would drop him out of the NBA lottery. So he's getting paid no matter what. And I also think that he's MORE likely to get another stress fracture sooner if he goes to the NBA, given the rigors of the schedule.

Granted, there is a risk in staying another year. Because no matter what, he could have another stress fracture occur next year AND end up having long-term problems with his back, and if that was the case, he'd have a smaller first contract to rely on than if he went this year.

So what's the answer? Take guaranteed money now that could potentially carry an increased long-term risk? Or take likely guaranteed money next year that might (or might not) lower that long-term risk?

It's a tricky question. I'll be supportive of whatever route he takes, but I don't think this is as clear as taking the money now.

Benz Junque 6 months, 3 weeks ago

"I believe the statistic is that approximately 60% of athletes that have a stress fracture end up getting another one. "

I would assume that a very large percentage of basketball players get stress fractures, whether they have had one or not. Basketball, gymnastics, track & field and tennis players are the most susceptible to stress fractures. They happen and they heal.

Ian Emerson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Do you think he mor likely to get his next stress fracture in college or the nba?

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

It's not the type of injury that's easy to give a yes or no answer to. Any NBA team that takes him (and it will be in the top three) will make sure to have the very best doctors and physical therapists on hand that can help treat this type of injury. Good question but no easy answer.

darren martin 6 months, 3 weeks ago

if the new nba commish has his way theses kids will have to go to school 2 years or go over seas and play. if thee ncaa and the nba got together and did some research about how the 1 and dones do there 1 st couple years the data would most likely show a few have impacts right away but a majority don't do much until there 2 nd or 3 rd season. both the ncaa and the nba is being hurt by this 1 and done crap. maybe someone will actually wake up and see this someday.

Ryan Beddie 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Has a "source" ever been wrong about these types of decisions? As KU Fans we hope that it's just smoke and from Embiid's reaction that he hasn't made up his mind yet is true then we still have a shot that he could return. If he announces a Press Conference in the coming days.. it means he's going pro. We will know soon enough but any report whether true or not means not good news as to what he's thinking. There's got to be some truth to this report

William Weissbeck 6 months, 3 weeks ago

If the past is any indication, then Embiid won't say anything until first speaking with Bill Self and it will be done at a press conference if he's going. Am I wrong - other than maybe Selby, did anyone else not show at least this courtesy? Is it different because of Turner that no one can wait anther 2 weeks till after the Final Four?

Tony Bandle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Regarding Benz's comment earlier about next year's team actually being better.

1] Compare Black, Wiggins and Embiid for Alexander, Oubre and Turner. Certainly the first group has the big advantage but at least it's not a total wipeout of talent..the new kids have high ceilings.

2] Everybody else has gained a year of experience [Frank, Conner, Wayne, Perry, Jamari, Landen, Brannen]

3] Naadir knows he is under the gun and must improve or sit, especially in his final year.

4] Bill can add Hunter Nickelson to the frontline mix of his rotation.

5] Kansas is transitioning from a "young" team to a "veteran" team. In another season or so we may be one of the oldest teams in Division One.

6] Kansas should be favored to re,re,re,re,re,re,re,re,re, repeat for our 11th Big 12 Title.

7] Technically, getting to the Sweet Sixteen will be an improvement over this past season.

8] The mystery of AWIII will be resolved one way or the other, either providing a viable player or providing scholarship flexibilty for the backline.

9] Tyler Self will be back on the court. :)

10] PT competiton will be fierce with maybe only Wayne assured of a starting role. [Although something tells me Cliff is a lock and Myles almost as such out of necessity...we'll see.]

Ben Kane 6 months, 3 weeks ago

i think Ellis is a guaranteed starter next year as well.

Titus Canby 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I agree. Ellis will be a stud next year. I have to wonder if that hit in the head in the Georgetown game affected him longer than was let on?

Rich Hetherington 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Yes, Seldon, Alexander and Turner (or Embiid if he stays) will be starters. You can almost lock that up. Maybe Ellis starts the 1st couple games, but you'd have to think the way the team will be set up, that Ellis is not guaranteed to start at all. Log decent minutes, yes, but start, that's up in the air really. Competition for PT will be fierce as each player coming back will want to increase minutes, but not all of them will get to.

Benz Junque 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't think Alexander is a lock to start over Ellis. Self has consistently started the guy who knows the defensive system the best and almost always deferrs to the mroe experienced player if it is close. I see either Turner or Alexander coming off the bench but playing 20+ minutes.

Tony Bandle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

With Ellis, there's a big difference between knowing the defense and executing the defense and Cliff, just by his "scare" factor will come close to canceling out any deficiencies from inexperience....sorry. with all due respect, I think you'll see Perry coming off the bench...UNLESS his defense improves.

William Weissbeck 6 months, 3 weeks ago

We know that's likely the case, we've seen this play before, but just like with the Cubs winning the pennant, someday the story is going to end differently. They keep saying that Parker may stay at Duke to play with his AAU friend Okafor and have a super team. And some day these players are going to make deals in advance to bribe the NBA to make sure they leave early.

Ethan Berger 6 months, 3 weeks ago

ISome one betrayed Embiids trust so to get back at that person he should say and ruin that persons credibility.

Eric TheCapn 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Ethan Berger 6 months, 3 weeks ago

If he is able to figure out who did then maybe.

Andrew Dunlap 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Embiid should go. I would love for him to comeback but with his injury, its too great a risk. He can get insurance, but I want to see this guy play in the NBA. He's the second coming of Hakeem the Dream Olajuwon. Some of you may not remember him, but he was one of the greatest centers of all time, up there with Jabbar and Wilt. This kid has that potential. I think he needs to heal and get stronger. But, if he comes back and is healthy, we are practically guaranteed to win it all.

Jason Wilson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I think jumping straight to an 80-game season when you couldnt even make it through a 30-game season without getting an overuse injury is the real risk.

Which scenario is more likely considering the stress fracture was an overuse injury?

1) His body can't keep up with the jump from 28 games to 82, and he ends up a bust because his body isn't durable enough to handle the rigors of an NBA season, gets his 2 years of money and is done (ala Greg Oden)

2) He injures himself again trying to play a 40-game season and ends up unable to play in the NBA (has this ever actually happened?) 2) He

Lance Cheney 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Well now he HAS to come back, just to spite the Yahoo writer.

Vincent Patterson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Too much money to turn down...but stranger things have happened.

William Weissbeck 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I think I saw that Aldrich gets $2.45 million. And likely full dental. It's like the guaranteed 77 virgins (or whatever it is), if you blow yourself up. Who can turn that down? Still I'm too old and remember when sports was purer, sort of. I was mad when Alcindor/Kareem refused to play in the Olympics. I remember the guy from the old Oklahoma A&M who won two titles and never played pro. I remember Julian Wright (and all the other forgetables). I can remember when there was no money in track and field. I don't watch MLB, can't name a roster. CFB is reserved for the powers. NFL is tolerable only because I need to see the Chiefs win it one more time. I thought CBB was a last refuge, that Texas could have Durant, that no one really rooted for UK, and that KU's one and dones came to supplement and otherwise veteran team.

Andy Tweedy 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I wish him well regardless of what he decides...really, this is a great American success story. I don't know him at all, but he sure seems like a nice kid, too! We are the freaking Kansas Jayhawks, we'll be in good shape no matter what he decides!!!

John Fitzgerald 6 months, 3 weeks ago

My faith says he'll stay but my gut says he'll go. Either way the injury will play a big role in his decision to stay or leave. Does he stay to get more conditioning so his back can with stand the longer NBA season? Or does he leave in fear that he may get hurt worse and lose his chance at the NBA all together? I think it's 75% he goes, and 25% he stays. Why? Well usually these early reports tend to be true. Someone jumped the gun when they shouldn't have and Embiid is a guy that wants to be the one to break the news. Also, it's the NBA. It's a dream these guys have growing up, and to be possible 1st pick? That's almost guaranteed playing time. If I were him, I'd go. Either way, him and Andrew will give me a reason to watch the NBA because I think their impact will be tremendous. And don't worry KU fans, we will be just fine next year! Still have a lot of returning players and Hudy has a long 6 months to prepare these guys. I'm optimistic. ;)

Yonatan Negash 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Embiid is gone people.

Someone please give one good reason anyone would pass up $5,000,000+ year?

Not going to happen, the risk is too high.

The coaching staff is recruiting Myles Turner as we speak.

Tony Bandle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Trust me, they're not recruting him..they are figuring out the timing of Jo Jo's departure announcement so the KU Staff can schedule a separate time for Myles to be welcomed into KU Nation.

Class of '14..the #4, the #6 and the #12...not bad. Sure wish Bill could recruit!!

Jack Wilson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

So you're booking Turner as a "for sure."

I'll trust you on that.

Jack Wilson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Hot babes on campus vs. groupies on the road in the NBA?

I'm trying to think of another reason ....

Robert Brown 6 months, 3 weeks ago

If Embiid makes the decision to go, no one should be upset. He is looking at an almost guaranteed $10M over the next three years. Who among us would turn that down. I could see him having to spend some time in the D-League and I can only imagine how depressing that can be for an NBA player who went to an elite college program like KU.

D-League games are in remote small cities played with only a couple of thousand people in attendance. It might be depressing, but at least you are getting paid.

Benz Junque 6 months, 3 weeks ago

You aren't turning it down; just deferring it a year. If he was smart he'd spend another year gettingready so that he could be up for a $100+ million pay day when his rookie contract ends. THAT'S the contratc he needs to be prepping for, not his piddly (in NBA terms) rookie contract.

Brianna Zaleski 6 months, 3 weeks ago

How do these f ing idiots keep their jobs? I'm talking about the writers with all access to "inside information". All you have to do is rush to report it, and you've got a 50-50 chance of being correct. If he ends up leaving, well what a bunch of sleuth reporting done by the pollak from Yahoo. If he doesn't? What? Does he lose his job? Does he have to apologize publicly? What?... Nothing. These idiots have no more inside info than you or I do, yet they have no respect for the process, the kids or the universities. If I was Self or Embiid, I would NEVER grant an interview request with the likes of this Yahoo reporter. Maybe that would curb some of this nonsense reporting.

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Kansas should hold a press conference to make the Embiid announcement. After Embiid announces his intentions to head off to the NBA, he can answer a few questions. Before departing, Turner should join the table to make his announcement that he will be attending The University of Kansas.

Shane Johnston 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I agree. I'm not convinced at this point that Turner comes even if JoJo leaves.

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Turner left today for his official to UT this weekend.

I get the feeling Embiid, Turner and Alexander are the only ones that know what is going down.

Benz Junque 6 months, 3 weeks ago

And I am not 100% convinced that Turner is the best use of that schooly. We have Elis and Alexander and Traylor and Lucas and Mickelson for next year.We aren't hurting for bigs. I still would like to see us have that scholly open for a PG transfer.

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

'Unfortunately, Turner is a long way from a sure thing since UT and SMU are hot on his heals as well.'

All that means is that Turner has options as do most top 10 players Suzi. He also visited Duke.

Tony Bandle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

The key phrase is "hot on his heels" because KU is in front...Texas is loaded with big guys and they are all coming back [the big guy in the middle is only a sophomore]...SMU versus KU for cache, prestige and exposure???.... c'mon, get real!!

Shane Johnston 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I tend to believe the guy at Yahoo. For what its worth, I believe he was the first to call Dwight Howard to Houston before it became official. Losing Wiggins and JoJo is a significant net loss no matter who comes in, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

I really don't know what our starting five looks like next year, but I tend to think we go with Wayne, Perry and Cliff. Personally, I would like to see Self start with Frank at the point and Brannen on the opposite wing.

We have too much depth to go get a transfer point guard. To go get a transfer would be a huge blow to Tharpe, because I can't see Frank and Connor playing fewer minutes next year than they did this past one. I think we are a better perimeter shooting team next year. If we're better defensively, it's due to the added familiarity the returners have with one another.

Eric TheCapn 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Eric TheCapn 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Ian Emerson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Interesting that your comment got removed. I read it in its entirety and it was asking what a returnees insurance policy for a year would be, correct?

Eric TheCapn 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Dan Spurgin 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Shame its such an all or none proposition for these kids. Would be sweet if Embiid could get drafted but remain at KU to develop his body/game.

Eric TheCapn 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Beau Woolsey 6 months, 3 weeks ago

That would honestly solve so many problems.

Scott Smetana 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Great kids, I don't blame them for leaving for the big money. I blame the stupid NBA for cradle robbing undeveloped players.

I think Wiggins and Embiid have no chance of making any significant impact in the NBA for the next couple of years. Both are too weak. Both can't shoot. Wiggins can't dribble into the lane without turning it over half the time. I think they'll embarrass themselves next year in the NBA. There's potential for them to get a bad name/ reputation for themselves by having such a lackluster start. A few weeks in the DNBA and things start to spiral. Stay in school, develop as players and people, have fun, and enter the league as a beast. Jordan seemed to do well with that path.

DB Ashton 6 months, 3 weeks ago

It takes a Talmudic scholar to parse the NBA collective agreement, with salaries based on future revenues, a soft cap, exceptions everywhere you turn, but it takes no wisdom whatsoever to suggest Embiid must become draft eligible immediately. Since he has the potential to be worthy of a huge second contract as early as age 25, there's no time to waste to start that clock ticking. Further, his back WILL become an issue were it to fail him again as an amateur. After taxes, over his initial four years in the league, he should net approximately from $8.25M (4th) to $11.5M (1st). That, some savings here and investment there, a modest expectation of supplemental endorsements, and an insurance policy to protect against his becoming incapacitated, should do him very nicely indeed. And I wouldn't think an agent would be entitled to any percentage of fixed, guaranteed salary.

Ryan Kruse 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Everyone always mentions the Hudy person, is he some kind of super hero?

Tony Bandle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Ryan, on all the KU broadcasts [pun not intended] look for the young lady sitting close to the team with the long blonde super curly hair built like a linebacker...that's our gal and she is really, really good at what she does.

Beau Woolsey 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Wiggins and Embiid are not Dleague bound. Have you watched the NBA? The teams getting Embiid and Wiggins wouldn't pay their players millions to play in the Dleague. Anthony Bennet didn't make a shot till his 12th game and he is still on the roster. Top 5 picks don't go to the Dleague. Embiid will at least have an Andre Drummond rookie season and wiggins will absolutely score and defend consistently.

Aaron Paisley 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Roy Hibbert spent time in the D-League and it didn't hurt his career or development at all.

Greg Lux 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I find it so sad that everything revolves around money !!! Wouldn't be great if the NBA could draft players in College and allow them to finish their education or how about taking out a $20 million dollar injury insurance policy to guarantee he will get his money if he gets injured premium paid by the team that picked him. These young men deserve to get an education and enjoy the college life while they are young. Money Money Money - The root of all evil.

Eric TheCapn 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Tony Bandle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Watching the Stanford/Dayton game last night, did anyone besides me get a sickly feeling of deja vu and think, damn, I could see how we could have possibly lost to this Dayton team?

I don't think we would have, and we'll never know, but it just had that feel of another "mid-major mind cramp."

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Oak,

It's really hard to watch those games once our Hawks are out, but I did.

I saw us killing Dayton with several back door dunks off cuts and alley-opps to Embiid/Wiggins. I saw a confident CF, who hit the last second 3 (third in a row in the final 23 seconds) and the 'and 1 due to the foul vs Stanford, knocking down 4 or 6 from deep and Ellis hitting big. I also saw the Bruise Brothers dominating with Black showing his Memphis people how to lead a team to the final 4.

I'm not sure what game you were watching but the one I saw Kansas won 94-68. Now to move onto a re-match vs UF.

Tony Bandle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Irrational fear versus rational truth.....bottom line, I totally agree with you..with KU firing on all cylinders, that imagined KU/Dayton game is probably over by halftime. Damn, why couldn't we have pressed Stanford the whole game...they were horrible against it.

Also, I too find it almost impossible to watch these games that we should have been in. It's like walking up to the ice cream truck in your neighborhood and only watching other kids get the Bomb Pops because you have no money!!! :(

RJ King 6 months, 3 weeks ago

We had opportunities all year to figure out the zone, which was great because we knew it would show up again at tournament time. I honestly thought it wouldn't be a problem. Johnny Dawkins is no dummy, and figured it was zone and fingers crossed, or go home.

Fool me once shame on you. But fool me twice . . . ?

We should've been more prepared.

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

RJ, go back and look over the tape. Like the UF game, we were prepared. Sans Black we hit 4 of 16 at the rim. About 4 were blocked or heavily contested and a full dozen....count them 12....were dead open misses. That's how you turn a 20 point win into a 3 point defeat.

What we saw all season, commencing with Nova and UF, was this team was very soft. Get them uncomfortable and they can't hit a thing, even a layup! Next year, I know Self is going to put toughness back on top. I loved the guys individually we all have been saying all season long that this was the softest team in the Self era and probably pre-LB.

Tony Bandle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Incoming frosh and destroyer, Cliff Alexander will fix that "soft" problem next year....it will be get tough or die....starting in practice!!!!!

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

We lose Black's toughness. I know all about Alexander but don't expect him to be anymore physical than Black. Oubre will be somewhat like Wiggins. Ellis and the others will need to step it up.

Greg Lux 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I expect Alexander to be much tougher then Black. He dunks everything around the basket. Something we have never had at KU since maybe Wilt. As for his defense I don't know but I trust HCBS to get him into a defensive rhythm that will be helpful to the team. From what I have seen of Alexander he is pure energy and he brings that to his teammates also.

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

TRob without needing two years to develop.

Brett Forreal 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Off topic but Lance Stephenson or Xavier Henry? Who would you rather have? I remember getting pounded for saying we should have took Lance over Xavier....

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner But he knew it couldn't last. Jojo left his home in Cam 'room, Africa For some kickin' KU grass. Get back, get back. Get back to where you once belonged Get back, get back. Get back to where you once belonged. Get back Jojo, go home Get back, get back. Get back to where you once belonged Get back, get back. Back to where you once belonged. Get back Jo.

Bruce Oothout 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Oh, just make the frickin' announcement already. This dead time does nothing but feed KU fans a false sense that a return year is even possible.

Dale Rogers 6 months, 3 weeks ago

"Joel Embiid is still a Kansas Jayhawk ... for now at least."

I can't believe I read that in kusports. ONCE A JAYHAWK, ALWAYS A JAYHAWK!

Surely there's a more accurate way to get the point across.