Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Installation of new offense this spring won’t slow KU football down

Kansas quarterbacks Jake Heaps, front, and Michael Cummings (14) throw to receivers during a spring practice on Tuesday, April 2, 2013, at Memorial Stadium.

It’s been nearly 20 years since Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis entered a season without the words “offensive coordinator” tucked next to his name on his team’s official roster.

While Weis’ coordinating duties have taken him to three different schools and three NFL teams during the past 17 years, there’s only one role he wants to focus on as he enters his third season at Kansas — head coach.

“I haven’t not been the offensive coordinator since 1997,” Weis said during his pre-spring meeting with the media on Monday. “But I think it will give me the opportunity to be a much better head coach. It is really important to me. I think I will be able to help the team much more as a head coach, than when you are putting so much time into the offense.”

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Charlie Weis addresses media prior to start of spring football

Kansas football coach Charlie Weis addresses the media prior to start of spring football on March 3, 2014.

Download podcast

In stepping away from his hands-on role with the Jayhawks’ offense, Weis essentially is proving something many of his critics never believed he was capable of admitting.

“Most people won’t swallow their ego and recognize the fact that (they) aren’t the answer,” Weis said. “Now, I think I am smart enough to learn how to try to do that, but I haven’t been doing that. I’ve been doing it the same way for a long, long time. So I thought the better answer was to bring somebody in who is used to scoring in the 40s.”

That person is new offensive line coach/offensive coordinator John Reagan. On Monday, Weis discussed the plan for installing KU’s new offense, which figures to combine some of what Reagan ran at Rice with some of the terminology KU already used.

“I told John, ‘Just don’t be impatient, just trying to get everything in, in the springtime,’” Weis said. “‘Put in things as you want to put them in.’”

That approach should allow the Jayhawks’ offense to move fast this spring despite not knowing the answer to questions at quarterback, offensive line and wide receiver.

“The bottom line is we have to identify the guys that we think that can make plays and make sure that by August we figure out ways that we can get them the ball to give them the opportunity to do that,” Weis said.

With the first of 15 spring practices set for Thursday, Weis was asked if the month-long spring session provided enough time to evaluate how quickly players, particularly quarterbacks, were picking up the new offense.

“You bet,” he said. “Because by day four, we are going full speed. We are cutting. We are taking them to the ground. We don’t wait around on that. That Thursday before spring break (March 13), they are all thinking about spring break; I’m going to wear them out. They are going to leave tired, I promise you. I think that the only way to find out is if you do things full speed, and there will be plenty of full speed in the springtime.”

Comments

Andy Hess 8 months, 3 weeks ago

well, it's hard to make them much slower than they were on offense last year anyway, so....no big deal.

John Mueller 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Dude, I don't comment much anymore, but making this comment the day before spring ball, is like complaining about the backup catcher the day before pitchers and catchers report.

Come on, man.

It's spring ball. We've got a new OC, 3 quarterbacks who can all make plays with their feet and throw the ball downfield 30 yards on a rope and a dime. We've got 2 starting left tackles that will both play on Sundays, 4 recievers who can seperate, catch and create YAK, we've got unblockable d lineman that are 8 deep.

Hope springs eternal, We're Jayhawks....The next Orange Bowl is right around the next corner!!!!

Rock Chalk.

Leave the negativity at home, Eeyore

Pin your tail back on your butt and go out there and hit somebody!

Andy Hess 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Normally I would let this buffoonery go, but I'm in a mood, so... Have you only been watching the games from 2008? If not, I want some of whatever you're smoking. 1. The very idea that you would include Jake Heaps as a QB who can "make plays with [his] feet" shows how little you've actually seen him play. 2. You can't have two starting left tackles. I'm fairly certain that's against the rules. Playing on Sundays? you're wrong. 3. How many TDs did these stellar receivers account for last year? Also, it's YAC. 4. If these 8-deep DL are so unblockable, why didn't we lead the league in TFL or sacks?

Ryan McAtee 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Andy, I sure hope you are not an alumnus of KU... if you are, stick to being a fair-weather fan and cheer for the basketball team. If you were a true fan, or alumnus, you would be excited about the upcoming changes to the football team, as well as an upgrade to the stadium in a few years. I can understand if you might be cautiously optimistic due to recent records, but keep in mind that Lew Perkins and Turner Gill didn't do the program any favors. We are fortunate that our head coach realized that changes needed to be made to the coaching staff, and for the fact that we keep getting some recruits over power teams... this is all a sign of a potential turn around, which takes time. I have had season tickets for a long time... this will be my 14th straight year. I'm excited and hopeful that things get better. I can hope... and the sping is when we can forget about the past and look forward to the future. If you just want to talk crap, and insult people who are excited, go join your brothers in Columbia, Mo.

Rock Chalk!

Michael Maris 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Lew Perkins, mastermind behind the killing of the Wichita State Shocker's Football Program and damn near did the same thing to the University of Kansas Football program as well. Even though L. Perkins gets credit for the U. of Connecticut Football Program getting up and running and elevated to D-1 Status, the head of the University of Kansas should've seen the Jayhawk Football program issue (under Lew Perkins) from miles away.

Tyler Fox 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Andy, I'm pretty certain his point was that spring time is a time to be optimistic. Your "mood" may have distracted you from that, but there was a lot of light-hearted exaggeration in his post. Buffoonery aside, lighten up a little and have some fun with life. We all know the team has been bad for a few years, but there are definite signs of improvement and spring ball is a time when we can get excited and read some good articles about the team.

Jason Keller 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Bahahahahahahah!!! Bahahahahaha!!!!!! Oh my god, John, you kill me! I appreciate a good laugh but let's not use the comment section as a platform to try out your stand up comedy bit. I don't care if it is brilliantly hilarious or not.

John Mueller 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Thanks Tyler, u saved me some time. I actually think the only literal comment in my post was regarding Eeyore's tail.

Andy, any loyal Jayhawk is on my team. But, be positive man. It's spring football. If it is deserved, you will have ample opportunity to critique, criticize and beat up the program and play Debbie Downer in October.

PS Yac is not a word, Yak is a word! I know how to spell catch. Lighten up, Francis....

Adam Miller 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Ooh... AND he nails a 'Stripes' quote. Well played sir. I agree, if we don't have hope wandering in then what is the point?

Tony Bandle 8 months, 2 weeks ago

When it comes to Kansas football, we settle for any little crumb hinting of improvement. Because of basketball it will never be the top priority.

Here is the brutal truth to making KU competitive again:

1] Pick the best head coach you can find and offer him a guaranteed five year, $50,000,000 contract.

2] Give him total freedom and control of the entire football program.

3] Renovate the hell out of Memorial Stadium including no track, better seating closer to the field, better fan services, etc.

4] Make the athletic facilities especially housing. top of the line.

5] Focus on every good thing that has ever happened with KU football and market the heck out of it.

All it's going to take is hard work, dedication and money....LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of money. Sorry, but that's the hard cold truth, like it or not!!

Robert Brock 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Meh. Save your money and spend it where it does some good: KU basketball.

Kevin Fest 8 months, 2 weeks ago

WOW

Everybody is already insulting eachother and its only spring ball. Easy everyone its only football and everyone is allowed their opinion whether it be positive, negative or wait and see. I agree judging over the last couple of years things haven't been good. But with Weis now giving the offensive duties to someone else and bringing in a couple of new coaches maybe there is some reason to be hopeful. Who knows, the only way to know how this will all workout is when the season starts but rest assured there will be hickups, there always is when a new offense is put in place but hopefully they can be worked out in the nonconference games. I want to be hopefull, then the season starts and its here we go again. So lets just all keep crossing our fingers and toes and see what happens. Nothing over the last couple of years has gone well but Kansas brought in some nice recruits and hopefully they will develop to the point of making a differnce to the program.