Monday, June 16, 2014

KU football adds Iowa Western offensive lineman

6-8, 340-pound Larry Mazyck expected to be eligible this fall

Kansas University football recruiting.

Kansas University football recruiting.

The competition along the Kansas University offensive line just intensified.

JayhawkSlant.com's Jon Kirby reported Monday night that Iowa Western Community College offensive tackle Larry Mazyck had signed a financial aid agreement with KU and will report to campus later this month.

Mazyck, who stands 6-foot-8, 340 pounds, had been scheduled to go to Maryland but recently found out those plans fell through. That's when he developed a deeper connection with KU and recruiting coordinator/running backs coach Reggie Mitchell.

Mazyck made an official visit to KU over the weekend and liked what he saw. After talking it over with his mother and gaining his release from Maryland, Mazyck committed to KU and may now be just a couple of weeks away from joining the team in time to play during the upcoming season.

The addition of Mazyck is big for Kansas, which is in the process of putting together a new offensive line under new offensive line coach John Reagan. Sources say Mazyck is talented enough to compete for a starting spot right away and may be capable of holding down that all-important left tackle spot.

"It all happened fast," Mazyck told Kirby. "(The KU coaches) told me they like my size and aggressiveness. They told me I would have a chance to come in and contribute right away."

Mazyck, who went through his red-shirt year at Iowa Western in 2012, when current Jayhawks Isaiah Johnson and Mike Smithburg helped lead IWCC to a juco national championship, earned first-team juco All-American at Iowa Western last season and drew offers from Maryland, Kansas State and Arizona State.

Comments

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 5 months ago

This is a huge get for KU Football! The team is coming around in nearly every position but the OL was/is going to be our weak link...again. If Mazyck can start at LT, which I think he will, we have a decent shot at having a competitive OL. Until this signing, I didn't think we had any chance of finding two tackles that could hold up to Big 12 DEs.

This could be an interesting year. Dare I say....BOWL GAME.

Mark Lindrud 5 years, 5 months ago

A lot of things need to to our way, but crazier things have happened. Who would've thought we could go to the Orange Bowl, but we did. A consistent and effective offense that can stay on the field and score on occasion will be huge. We should have a good defense, but the offense needs to do its part now.

kellerman411 5 years, 5 months ago

Bahahahahaha!!!! Oh Suzi, you rascal. I was drinking my coffee when I read your suggestion about a bowl game.

Dirk Medema 5 years, 5 months ago

Dang! 6-8, 340 and he had good offers. OT is where we were thinnest also, even having to send Martin out there from OG. Huge get! Huge!

Jonathan Allison 5 years, 5 months ago

Mazyck is a major pick up. He's a double major in pancake blocking D Ends and being huge. Hopefully Cozart can pass over the top of this guy's helmet.

I have three questions. 1.) can he play Defense too? 2.) can he catch? 3.) what's his 40 time?

I'd love to see the pull play with him as the lead blocker. It'll be like a total eclipse of the ball carrier.

Lucas Town 5 years, 5 months ago

Snyder came to Lawrence (Free State) and got Scott Frantz to commit to K-State. It looks like he was offered by KU, Missouri, Marshall and Miami (FL) as well as Iowa State, Minnesota and Purdue according to Rivals.

Is Mazyck going to be eligible this fall? I saw an article that said he didn't qualify at Maryland. Is this right?

Matt Tait 5 years, 5 months ago

That's correct. But KU and Maryland have different qualifying standards (not better or worse, just different) and Mazyck should be able to get into KU no problem and be ready to play this fall.

Lucas Town 5 years, 5 months ago

Matt, ok sounds good. I just didn't know if he would be eligible this fall. The O-Line could definitely use a guy like this. I wasn't trying to say that the academic qualification was better or worse. I was just hoping that the article I read wouldn't keep him from the field this fall for us.

David A. Smith 5 years, 5 months ago

Wow- a major get in the area that we needed it most!

Eliott Reeder 5 years, 5 months ago

I bet Jake Heaps is stoked that he'll have some improved protection and be able to pass from the pocket instead of on the run... oh wait, nevermind...

Brandon Mahon 5 years, 5 months ago

Hey matt.... is everyone from this last class on campus? Or when do they report