Thursday, July 31, 2014

Ukrainian signee has 17 vs. Sweden

Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk of Ukraine competes during the U16 Eurobasket 2013 first-round match between Ukraine and Latvia at Palace of Sport in Kiev, Ukraine, on Aug. 8, 2013.

Incoming Kansas University freshman guard Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk scored a game-high 17 points off 7-of-17 shooting in Ukraine’s 61-53 victory over Sweden on Wednesday at the Under 18 European Championships in Sofia, Bulgaria.

The 6-foot-8 Mykhailiuk hit two of six three-pointers and one of four free throws. He had one rebound, one assist and two turnovers in 29 minutes.

Mykhailiuk so far has averaged 17.2 points, 3.3 rebounds, 2.2 steals and 1.0 assists a game for Ukraine (6-0). He has hit 41.9 percent of his shots, including 10 of 38 threes for 26.3 percent. He has made 21 of 27 free throws for 77.8 percent.

ESPN.com’s Fran Fraschilla included Mykhailiuk in his recent article, “The Next Wave of International Talent.”

Fraschilla wrote: “Mykhailiuk appeared on the scene as a late replacement for the Hoop Summit World Team in April, and although he played limited minutes in the game against Team USA, his performances in the practice sessions were impressive enough to alert a number of top programs, including the Kansas Jayhawks.

“Mykhailiuk was also impressive in the 2013 European under-16 championships last summer, when he averaged 25 points, eight rebounds and four assists and made his mark on the international stage. He is an outstanding shooter but can also play point guard because of his feel for the game.

“As a 17-year old, Mykhailiuk was actively pursued by a number of top European clubs, but elected to attend college instead. He will not turn 18 until next June, and may be the youngest player in a power conference this coming season. Despite his age, he is talented enough to help Kansas as a freshman.”

Chalmers hosts game: Former KU combo guard Mario Chalmers of the Miami Heat will host a charity all-star game for his Mario V. Chalmers foundation at 7 tonight at Olathe East. Former KU players Travis Releford, Brady Morningstar, Jeff Hawkins and Conner Teahan are slated to play. Chalmers has held a camp for youths this week at O-East.

New scholarship offer: KU has offered a scholarship to Donovan Mitchell, a 6-2 senior combo guard from Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, Brewster coach Jason Smith tweeted Wednesday. Mitchell, who is ranked No. 101 in the Class of 2015, also is considering Villanova, Louisville, Indiana, Florida State and others.

Maker to stay put?: Thon Maker, a 7-foot, 200-pound junior center from Carlisle School in Martinsville, Virginia, likely will not reclassify to the Class of 2015, Zagsblog.com reports.

Maker, who has KU, Kentucky, Louisville, Duke, Memphis and others on his list of schools, is ranked No. 3 in the Class of 2016.

“It would be unlikely at this stage,” Maker’s guardian, Ed Smith, told Zagsblog.com. “It depends how heavy the academic load would be. Also, Thon has to be physically prepared for college ball.”

Smith earlier had said Maker would announce by January whether he’d reclassify in order to be eligible for the 2016 NBA Draft.

Comments

Suzi Marshall 5 months ago

I read these remarks by Fraschilla, NBA.net, which has Mykhailiuk going in the 2016 NBA lottery (7th), and other sources. They all note his shooting, PG abilities, and great all round game...then I look at his stats. Perhaps it's all true, I've never seen the kid play but .... I'm a skeptic.

Apparently Self is playing a huge hedge for 2015. I just read articles (LJW, Jayhawkslant, etc) citing all these top players are highly interested in Kansas for 2015. When reading the above about Donovan Mitchell, ranked 1XX, I shake my head.

Jay Beakum 5 months ago

Yeah, I don’t think I’ve seen stats posted of any games where he shot over 30% from the arc. 26% on 38 shots is horrendous. Yet all I ever hear is how dangerous a shooter he is.

Dale Kroening 5 months ago

I guess you never really know what your going to get , BUT the bottom line is I trust Self....

Tim Taylor 5 months ago

Why would you shake your head about Donovan Mitchell? Some players blow up over the summer. (remember Joel Embiid?) Ratings are a crapshoot at best and mean nothing at this stage of the game. Mitchell came into his own in July which is the reason KU offered him a scholarship. He has a batch of other offers as well. UCONN, Louisville, Indiana, and Memphis are other programs that have offered. It's one thing to be a skeptic. It's another thing to make comments on something you obviously don't have a clue about.

Walter Bridges 5 months ago

A crap shoot at best? I think that if you took the time to compare NBA drafts and where the players were ranked going into college, you might come to a different conclusion.

Joel Embiid's final ranking was #6 by Rivals.com but that was after his Sr. year. Maybe Mitchell will also shoot up in the rankings.

Chad Lee 5 months ago

the same thing came to mind Suzi. Mitchell may be fast improving but is not the talent that is interested in us that are top ten. I would love to see Jaylen Brown in a phog uni or Rabb Or Bragg. Zimmerman looks more athletic than Stone with more room to grow. im guessing we won't have that many scholarships to give and the team is in need of a big. Self will get it done

Lance Cheney 5 months ago

Haven't we decided that 4-year players (#100 ranking) fit better in Self's system than one-and-dones (Top 10 recruits)?

John Randall 5 months ago

You and I may have decided that – the thundering herd still wants to brag about saviors and super stars, even when they don't fit into a team.

Aaron Paisley 5 months ago

It makes zero sense to offer a player who can play PG and will be a 4 year player that has offers from other current powers.

Suzi, you are putting way too much stock in the mock draft projections to definitively say who is staying and going and when. Wayne Selden was a projected top 10 pick in the 2014 draft at this point, Perry Ellis was a late lottery pick, Jamari Traylor was a projected 2nd rounder in the 2015 draft. At this stage of the year, mock draft projections mean very little. January is when mock draft projections take on more significance because because scouts have a much better idea of how players have developed.

John Fitzgerald 5 months ago

Suzi Marshall is always such a ray of sunshine. I like the updates about this kid, and although he may not have Andrew Wiggins type numbers, it's still impressive considering the competition he's up against.

Jack Wilson 5 months ago

Fyi, Rustin Dodd with the KC Star posted on twitter a bit ago that Portugal, one of the Ukraine's competitor's at the U18 games, would get beaten by the Kansas high school all-star team. Just his observation.

John Fitzgerald 5 months ago

Not sure the point you're making but ok.

John Randall 5 months ago

The point being that level of competition is suspect.

Suzi Marshall 5 months ago

I don't know about any of the completion he's up against. However, that does not prevent me from thinking he'd be facing much better completion in Lawrence Although he's always saying the right words, his absence and later arrival make me wonder about his commitment to Kansas.

Ethan Jones 5 months ago

What makes you wonder about his commitment to Kansas? Surely it isn't the fact that he is playing for his own national team (an activity that Self has approved) instead of playing in pickup games at KU for the summer. It seems like everyone that matters is clear on his commitment to Kansas.

Greg Ledom 4 months, 4 weeks ago

His 'commitment' to Kansas totally invalidates your post. As you may recall, coach Self was in complete agreement with Svee gaining additional experience before he gets here. Commitment............please.

Jack Wilson 5 months ago

John: The point I was making is that your assumption that Svi's numbers were "impressive considering the competition he's up against" is really pretty silly. Not sure the basis for your opinion/assumption/wishful thinking. You really think that U18 teams from Portugal, Bulgaria, Denmark, Sweden, etc. compare favorably to competition here?

Dodd's comment was to that point. The Kansas all-star team with, what, maybe one or two high D-1 guys is better? Much different that real high D-1, which, of course, Svi will be facing.

John Fitzgerald 4 months, 4 weeks ago

I see what you're saying, but it could go either way. Could be good competition, could be bad competition. We don't know for sure because we're not experts. I'm just trying to be optimistic. So much negativity on this site I try to be positive to wash it out. And to call what I say silly? That's pretty silly. You're not anymore right or wrong than me, all you have is a twitter quote from one guy about one team. My suggestion Jack Wilson, leave the belittling to your children.

Rodney Crain 5 months ago

I agree with you Jack, others here, Svi and the competition U18 are not impressive. What worries me is he is going to show up here late, without any time off (tired), and without solid stats (also being very young). This does not even take into the account the stress Svi probably feels with his country's war going on. Hope it all works out for him, but I predict it will be after the holiday break before he really starts to contribute, consistently help us - it might take longer.

Jack Wilson 5 months ago

Everyone, remember -- there is such a thing as a "conditional" offer. Like Frank Mason. We're (allegedly) recruiting other higher ranked SG like Newman, Trier, Davis and Dorsey. We had supposedly offered Mason in the summer of 2012. But we were recruiting Barber, Jones, Jackson, et. al. right? We only accepted Mason in Oct. 2012 once those others had said no. Same situation now, I'm sure, with Mitchell assuming ... assuming ... the ranking is a relatively accurate reflection of his level of play. If he played really well this summer, as Eric Bossi has reported, he could be due for a big bump up. Rankings aren't final until they are final. It's fluid right now. And to be sure, offers, conditional or otherwise, from KU, UConn, etc., influence Rivals and the like. High level coaches' evaluations are part of their overall evaluations, too. So he could be the real deal.

And to Lance's point, no, the #100 guy is not the consensus best type of guy under Self. Personally, I've always said the guys just outside of OAD to appx. #60 -- the guys that are high talent, but have to work to get a NBA career - Withey, Morrises, TRob, Releford, Aldrich, EJ, Arthur, Kaun, Selden, Ellis, Chalmers, etc.

Mitchell could fit right in that mix. But don't make too much of "offers." Look at all the "offers" we've made. We can't accept all of them. If all the "offers" got on a conference call and said "yes" at once, we don't have that many scholarships. So there are conditions. We aren't going to take the 4 or 5 power forwards we've "offered" all at once, for example.

Brian Wilson 4 months, 4 weeks ago

I don't post often but I will reiterate what I said the day he signed. He is not starting this year. When he played against the Euro-Pros he averaged about 3 pts and didn't start. All of the stats that have been touted are from the 16 and under league he played in......"oh boy!', "wow".......big deal. What Svi has mostly been noted for is his great shooting in practice as a practice player. He has yet to transpose that into the game. Especially against big.competition. This next year I expect the lineup to be

Frankamp, Mason, Graham
Selden, (Frankamp), (Svi), (Greene)
Oubre, Greene, (Ellis) (Svi)
Ellis, Traylor, (Lucas)
Alexander, Mickelson, Lucas

IMO, Self will have fun with a big lineup moving Ellis to small forward on occasion. Ellis will most likely play the 3 in the pros and Self has said he will get him some time there. Fankamp willl get lots of time as we break in Graham for his sophomore year. Svi will come off the bench - maybe 5 minutes per game until the 2nd half of the season. Then when Selden and Ourbre leave, Mason and Graham will take ove at PG, Frankamp will move primarily to the 2 and Svi will backup the 2 and 3 spots behind Frankamp and Greene and potentially start if he developes. If Frankamp were to stay and PG, with the incoming guards we are recruiting, Mason may be left out and end up being a possible transfer. I'm not as expert but so far this past 12 months I have been spot on in predictions.

Suzi Marshall 4 months, 4 weeks ago

Seems like you have this all figured out and should request a meeting with Self. Basically what you are saying is Frankamp's role at PG is fluid, which speaks to his versatility and competiveness of the position. I think you could add (Alexander) as a 4 when Ellis goes to the 3 with Mickelson in the game.
We'll see in a few months but in the meantime this kind of speculation keeps Hawk fans rolling.

I love your surfing and California music but how about writing some Jayhawk music. "I love my little Chi-O girl"

Lance Hobson 4 months, 3 weeks ago

I've been watching the heartbreaking coverage of MH17 and noticed how similar the area of Ukraine where the plane was shot down is to Kansas. Wheat fields and sunflowers mainly. I'd be curious to know his opinion about the conflict and really hope he's not a Putin supporter.