Originally published July 22, 2014 at 11:37a.m., updated July 23, 2014 at 12:12a.m.

Reports: Wiggins to sign contract, but Cavs still pursuing trade

Let the Andrew-Wiggins-for-Kevin-Love debate continue — for at least 30 days.

An Associated Press report, citing a source close to the situation, claimed Wiggins, the No. 1 pick out of Kansas University, will sign with Cleveland as soon as Wednesday.

But that doesn’t mean Cleveland and Minnesota have reached a point of no return in their ongoing trade talks involving Timberwolves All-Star power forward Kevin Love. In fact, it only means a trade between the two teams couldn’t become official until 30 days after Wiggins signs, per NBA rules.

What’s more, Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported Tuesday that Cleveland pulled off a trade with Utah to acquire pieces that could facilitate the rumored trade, which has become the offseason’s second-biggest storyline — behind only the move that generated it in the first place, LeBron James’ return to Cleveland.

The Cavs rid themselves of Carrick Felix’s guaranteed contract and threw in a future second-round pick and cash to the Jazz in order to acquire the three non-guaranteed contracts belonging to John Lucas, Malcolm Thomas and Erik Murphy, according to Wojnarowski.

The Yahoo report said the three players Cleveland acquired could be used in a trade for Love to give Minnesota salary-cap wiggle room or in a separate deal for another asset that would entice the Timberwolves, who don’t want to lose Love and get nothing in return when he becomes an unrestricted free agent next summer.

So even if Wiggins signs his first NBA contract with the league’s new darling, LeBron’s Cavs, he could begin his rookie season with Minnesota, without a superstar on which to lean.

Comments

Steve Kubler 3 months ago

I hope Cleveland gives Wigg's some time to see how he meshes with James before making a move. There is just something about Love I just don't like although stat wise he looks like a superstar. However I fear 30 days after signing Andrew is gone to the nba's death valley.

John Fitzgerald 3 months ago

Wiggs is going to Minnesota. I've learned to accept it at this point. This contract just makes it possible for Cleveland to trade him. Maybe it's good that he won't be in Lebrons shadow? And to be honest, the Cavs are getting a fat, lazy, better than average shooter in Kevin Love that couldn't defend a hippo dunking on him. He has two, maybe 3 years of worth left in him before his poor eating and workout habits catch up with him. Luck only lasts so long Mr. Love. And I'm a little relieved. I thought maybe I'd have to like Lebron and the Cavs. Thankfully, I can go back to disliking them both. How sweet would it be if the Twolves beat the Cavs in the playoffs though? Love couldn't make it to the playoffs with the Twolves, but watch Wiggs do it.

Eric TheCapn 3 months ago

Apparently KU fans are really quick to judge athletes' eating habits. Kevin Love is not fat. Was Shack fat? Do you guys not like him because he's a white guy with a beard? Love is legit.

John Fitzgerald 3 months ago

I'm obviously frustrated for Wiggins and trying to be funny. Love is a good player but I'm a biased KU fan.

Keith Gellar 3 months ago

i was about to say because Love >>>>>>>> Gooden, Collison, Trob, Morri, Withey, {insert other KU Big here}

Jonathan Allison 3 months ago

and because I'd consider the Wolves as a long-shot at best to make the NBA Finals out of the Western conference (ever).

Steve Kubler 3 months ago

KUSPORTS does anyone there even look at your survey questions? Honestly, are they created by grade schoolers? I don't mind filling them out, it's just not that big of deal but today I was asked repeated questions about my down jacket and it's care. As if I've ever owned a down jacket in my life. So for my wasted 30 seconds they got answers that are meaningless as the first question was not "do you own a down jacket?" This is not the first time for this type of thing either. Sometimes they do ask if you own or use something then even if you do not they still ask you questions about whatever it is.

I know you guys don't make them up but if it is possible to provide feed back please do. This makes the site unappealing and you've lost enough users as it is.

Andrew Dunlap 3 months ago

Minnesota is better off letting Love go instead of trading for players that won't fit in their plan. If they really don't have a plan for these kids, it is plain crooked to trade for them just because they can't keep Love.