Thursday, January 30, 2014

QB Frankie Seurer to walk on to KU football

Kansas University football recruiting.

Kansas University football recruiting.

Kansas University’s football team may be a step closer to adding a familiar name to its roster.

According to his Twitter account, Frankie Seurer, the son of former Kansas great Frank Seurer, will join the Jayhawks as a walk-on quarterback.

“Dreams do come true,” the younger Seurer posted on Twitter on Wednesday. “Officially on the KU football team. RockChalk# WeOn#”

A KU spokesperson said Wednesday that walk-ons had not officially been added to the roster at this time.

The older Seurer played at Kansas in 1980 and from 1982-83. He ranks second all-time at KU in career completions (467) and attempts (934), is tied for second in career 300-yard games (4), third all-time in career touchdown passes (30) and fifth on the all-time single-season passing yards list, as he threw for 2,789 yards during the 1983 season.

His son, a 2013 Olathe South graduate, played the 2013 season at Hutchinson Community College, where he began the season as a back-up but made four starts after an injury knocked the Blue Dragons’ starter out for the season. During his four starts, the 6-foo-1, 191-pound Frankie Seurer completed 91 of 159 passes for 1,115 yards, 10 touchdowns and five interceptions.

During an interview with The Hutchinson News following Hutch’s 57-0 victory in the Salt City Bowl last December, the game’s MVP talked about his hopes of becoming a Jayhawk.

“Ever since I was 5, it’s been my dream to play at KU,” he told the paper. “It’s time to make it happen.”

As a walk-on, Frankie Seurer would not count against KU’s numbers for the 2014 recruiting class. The Jayhawks currently have 23 commitments — three of them mid-year signees — in the Class of 2014 and as many as three spots remaining. Signing day for KU’s scholarship additions is Wednesday.

Comments

Michael Gentemann 7 months ago

Frank Sr. could really really toss the ball. The 1983 upset of #10 USC on the road was a banner day for Jayhawk football.

Len Shaffer 7 months ago

I'll never forget my roommates and I being crowded around the radio listening to that game. A shame it wasn't on TV.

And I was one of the 100 or so who welcomed the team back to campus at 1:00 a.m. in the pouring rain.

Jim Stauffer 7 months ago

The Seuer family has really endured much tragedy. Hope Frankie can really enjoy his years here and has the opportunity to show what he can do. Our QB play has been less than stellar. If that continues, give him a shot. He has good genes.

Brandon Mahon 7 months ago

I know this is a long shot, but hopefully the coaches come in and say there is no clear starter from day one and give this kid a chance. He is the kinda player all of us fans hope for. A homegrown kid, who loves KU and has always wanted to play here, there is a chance he is the type of guy that could really help turn things around. He reminds me of a Heeney type guy with being home grown. I wonder if he has 3 years to play 2 or 2 to play 2.

Idk this could just be me talking crazy but hey who knows the walk-on out playing everybody chasing his dream helping turn the program around would be a pretty cool headline and story.

RCJH congrats Frankie.

David A. Smith 7 months ago

This is very exciting news! I grew up watching his dad (and by watching I mean listening to the radio broadcasts). I remember the USC upset, and have amazing memories of Seurer, Sr. Just having the legacy kids come and be a part of KU tradition (Gilbert Brown's son, Bill Self's son, Danny Manning's son, Frank Seurer's son, et al) is fantastic. We are proud to have you, Frank! Welcome home.

Gary Denning 7 months ago

Does Kirwin Bell also have a son who'd like to walk on?

Aaron Paisley 7 months ago

Please tell me that tied for 3rd all time with 30 TD passes for a career is a typo and it's supposed 30 TD's for a season. That's beyond pathetic,embarrassing, and depressing at the same time if that's accurate.

Alex Berger 7 months ago

It's not as bad if you remember that college football used a lot more running and option plays until the late 90s. John Hadl, Kansas legend, only had passing 12 TDs for his college career. He then had 244 passing TDs in the NFL.

Mick Allen 7 months ago

Hadl was the quarterback for only his senior year. He played halfback prior to taking over the quarterback position from my brother in law Duane Morris after he graduated. So the Legend's quarterback career was a one year career.

Lance Meier 6 months, 4 weeks ago

It would be great to see Jr. play at KU!!! Looks like a pretty good signing class, now it's time too get to WORK!!! RCJ!!!