Thursday, January 30, 2014

Artist Trey Songz shows up to support pal Frank Mason

Kansas guard Frank Mason claps his hands as he gets back on defense against Wake Forest after hitting a three-pointer during the second half of the Battle 4 Atlantis opening round on Thursday, Nov. 28, 2013 in Paradise Island, Bahamas.

Singer, songwriter, rapper and actor Trey Songz, who is used to performing under pressure, had some words of advice for buddy Frank Mason before Wednesday’s Kansas University-Iowa State basketball game in Allen Fieldhouse.

“He told me to enjoy myself, play my game and not overdo it,” Mason said of the R&B and hip-hop artist, who like Mason grew up in Petersburg, Va.

“I’ve known him for a while — seven years,” Mason added of Songz, who sat in the stands behind KU’s bench and was introduced to the crowd to wild applause on the video board. “We grew up in the same city, graduated from the same high school (Petersburg High). We’ve got a pretty good relationship.”

Songz, who attended several of Mason’s high school games, had been longing to get to Allen Fieldhouse for a game.

“We text often. He just decided he wanted to come and support me. He hadn’t seen me play in a while. He supported me sometimes in high school. This was a perfect one for him to come to. It was his first (KU) game. It was a little bit different for me. I adjusted pretty quick. I’m glad he showed up,” Mason added.

Mason scored three points with one assist and two turnovers while playing 11 minutes in KU’s 92-81 victory over the Cyclones. Mason, who hit one of five shots, drained a three with 7:21 left, upping a 68-63 lead to eight points.

“It was big for me,” the 5-foot-11 Mason said of the shot. “I couldn’t get anything else going early in the game or late. For me to knock down that was a huge three.”

Songz posed for pictures with the Jayhawks in the locker room after the game. Mason was not tempted to join him in song.

“I’m horrible at performing,” Mason said.

l

Wiggins impresses: KU freshman Andrew Wiggins exploded for a career-high 29 points Wednesday off 10-of-16 shooting. He hit four of six threes on a night KU hit 10 of 22 treys to ISU’s 10 of 26.

“Andrew has been playing well the last few games. We hope he can keep that going with that aggressive mind-set and knocking those jump shots down,” Mason said.

l

Nifty Naadir: KU junior point guard Naadir Tharpe tied a career-high with 12 assists against one turnover and had 12 points in 36 minutes.

“Naadir has been playing great, too,” Mason said, “getting other teammates involved. He had a double-double tonight. Naadir has been doing a very good job.”

l

Frankamp practices: KU freshman Conner Frankamp, who has a bruised knee, practiced “half-speed” on Thursday, according to coach Bill Self.

Texas next: No. 6-ranked KU (16-4, 7-0) will meet No. 25 Texas (16-4, 5-2) at 3 p.m. Saturday in Erwin Center in Austin, Texas. UT has won three consecutive games against Top-25 teams, beating Iowa State and Kansas State at home and Baylor on the road. KU earlier this season won four straight against Top-25 teams (K-State, Oklahoma State and Baylor at home and at Iowa State). The Jayhawks became the first team since 1996-97 North Carolina to win four straight against AP Top-25 teams.

McDonald’s All-Americans: On Wednesday, it was announced that KU signees Cliff Alexander and Kelly Oubre would play in the McDonald’s All-America game on April 2 in Chicago.

Current Jayhawks who played in the game are Perry Ellis, Wayne Selden and Andrew Wiggins. KU has had 36 McDonald’s All-Americans all-time, including 15 who have played for Self. The first McDonald’s All-America team was named in 1977 and included KU’s Darnell Valentine. Here’s a list of KU’s McDonald’s All-Americans: Darnell Valentine, 1977; Greg Dreiling, 1981; Danny Manning, 1984; Rick Calloway, 1985; Tony Guy, 1985; Mark Randall, 1986; Mike Maddox, 1987; Darrin Hancock, 1990; Ben Davis, 1991; Calvin Rayford, 1991; Jacque Vaughn, 1993; Raef LaFrentz, 1993; Paul Pierce, 1995; Ryan Robertson, 1995; Lester Earl, 1996; Eric Chenowith, 1997; Kenny Gregory, 1997; Jeff Boschee, 1998; Nick Collison, 1999; Aaron Miles, 2001; Wayne Simien, 2001; J.R. Giddens, 2003; David Padgett, 2003; Mario Chalmers, 2005; Micah Downs, 2005; Julian Wright, 2005; Darrell Arthur, 2006; Sherron Collins, 2006; Cole Aldrich, 2007; Xavier Henry, 2009; Josh Selby, 2010; Ellis, 2012; Selden, 2013; Wiggins, 2013.

Recruiting: At least one member of KU’s coaching staff on Thursday attended a game of Jimmy Whitt, a 6-2 junior from Columbia (Mo.) Hickman High, this week, according to Rivals.com. Whitt is ranked No. 79 in the Class of 2015 by Rivals.

OSU coach asks for students support: Oklahoma State coach Travis Ford ventured to the OSU Student Union this week to ask students to start flocking to home games. He indicated a controversial certification process for ticketing had ended, and all students were welcome. A video of Ford’s speech can be seen at http://cbsprt.co/1a5k24o

Comments

Danny Hernandez 5 months, 3 weeks ago

And at Kansas, some ticket holders can re-sell their tickets... Can never imagine our basketball coach ever pleading to fans to attend home games or offer discounted food items like misery does....pathetic fan bases

Suzi Marshall 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Myles Turner is visiting OSU this weekend. They need a strong student section support to show up.

With the teams OSU has had over the years, the fact the HC needs to go out and beg the students to show up is very sad.

Walter Bridges 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I think Turner will wait to see if Embiid declares. He has stated on several occasions that he wants to be a Jayhawk.

From B/R http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1852669-myles-turner-decision-odds-for-contenders-to-land-top-uncommitted-2014-recruit

I'm more concerned w/ISU picking up Emmanuel Malou. "Iowa State is my top pick right now and I like the way they've been recruiting me," said the 6-foot-9, 210-pound big man. "They've been looking at me for a long time and were the first offer I had since I got to Iowa. I think there's a high probability of me going there.

Andy Tweedy 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Somebody help me with this! I went to school form 86-90 and I don't remember a Tony Guy. What's the story there, did he leave after a year?

Deb Fitch 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Tony was there in the late 70s early 80s...big scoring guard...maybe 78 to 82???

Jeff Kilgore 5 months, 3 weeks ago

He's my age. Smooth ballplayer.

Jeff Kilgore 5 months, 3 weeks ago

(which means you're dates are right on the money :)

Michael Gentemann 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Gary,
Tony Guy was earlier than 1985 and I believe you missed Kerry Boagni? The 1985-86 Jayhawks would have been invincible if TG had still been around.

Robert Brown 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Tony Guy played from 1977-81. He was guard and played on a Sweet 16 team in 1981. KU upset #3 Arizona State that year in the second round. Tony Guy scored, I think, 36 points. Incidentally, the day before KSU beat #1 Oregon State in a different regional and Wichita State beat Iowa to reach the Sweet 16 where they played KU and beat them by 1 points after a couple of KU missed free throws and blown layups. To this day, the most agonizing KU loss I ever experienced.

Marc Frey 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I watched him play. Here was there. I seem to remember Magley, Booty Neal, along with him. Maybe that was back with Sunvold and SS playing for Missery.

Benz Junque 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Frank Mason had arguably the WORST individual game of the season for any KU player in the regular rotation. Maybe he can politely ask his buddy to keep the distractions at home so he can focus on what he needs to do out there...

Aaron Paisley 5 months, 3 weeks ago

So nobody should invite family or friends to watch them play? Mason was not the first player to ever get nervous having friends and family in the stands and he won't be the last. This a good selling point right now for KU while Mason is here. Don't be shocked if Self tries to get Songz to perform at Late Night next season since there's almost always a multiple elite level recruits in the stands for the event and that's something that can leave a positive impression on them.

Jeff Kilgore 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Agreed. KU is a brand. We've added another part of the synergy that makes up KU basketball. You can't say one way or the other whether Songz had any positive or negative effect.

Benz Junque 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Dear god, people. It's a joke. I don't know why Mason sucked so bad. For all I know he had swimmers ear or tennis elbow or ate some bad sushi. All I know is that he was absolutely terrible out there. Most of the guys on the team have had one of those games so far and Tharpe was dynamite, so no biggie.

Sheesh...

Jack Jones 5 months, 3 weeks ago

And, Junque ~ What are your credentials that allow you to posit that Mason's performance in that game had anything to do with his "buddy" being there? Perhaps you are qualified to explain the causes of off games by several other Jayhawks this season? How about 'he is a freshman' ~ and like other freshman. as well as Soph., Jr's and Sr's ~ they are going to have sub-par games. Much ado about nothing.

Kristen Brown 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Here is a link to all the McDonald's All-American teams . Tony Guy was 1978. Interesting enough on that 1985 team was Quin Snyder.

Ben Kane 5 months, 3 weeks ago

some names on that list just make me cringe: padgett, giddens ugh.

and oh boy there's lester earl. that man could get to the basket like you wouldn't believe but he couldn't make a basket to save his life.

Len Shaffer 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Padgett never got a fair shake; in fact a lot of people believed that the endless criticism was part of the reason he transferred. He was as good as most freshmen centers, and had a pretty decent career at Louisville.

Jack Jones 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Cheer up, Ben ~ life can't be that bad for you ~ or are you just a natural whiner?

Jonathan Allison 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I could watch that highlight reel all day

Aaron Paisley 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't know how this team is surviving without his all-time greatness. KU would be undefeated guaranteed if Tyler Self was playing this year.

Jeremy Paul 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I love watching the crowd go bananas.

Bryce Landon 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Which channel will the KU-UT game be aired on? Has the network decided whether that will be on ESPN or ESPN2? Same for the KU-BU game on Tuesday night.

Vince Brown 5 months, 3 weeks ago

If you want to know details about a former KU athlete, why not simply use Google? You'll probably get an answer sooner than waiting on a response and with accurate information.

Scott MacWilliams 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Hey Bryce, The season schedule link at the top of the article lists broadcasters for each game, at least as they stood at the beginning of the season. Just scroll down past all the already played games...

R O C K C H A L K ! ! ! Barbecue some 'Horns'!!!

Bernard Gregory 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I would like to personally thank Trey for showing some love for his hometown boy and for all the positive things he do for the kids from Petersburg.He is one of those that I can honestly say makes me proud to be from Petersburg.Don't be surprised if another Petersburg Alum ,Phoenix Suns assistant coach and former NBA player Mark West catch him a Kansas game to show support for one of Petersburg finest because he is another that gives back to the youth of the city that gave him his start.