Kansas defeats Iowa State, 92-81

• 8 p.m., Jan. 29, 2014
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Another KU freshman burns Iowa State at Allen Fieldhouse

Wiggins, much like Ben McLemore in 2013, goes off vs. Cyclones

Kansas guard Andrew Wiggins smiles with head coach Bill Self as the two wait for an interview with ESPN following the Jayhawks 92-81 win over on Wednesday, Jan. 29, 2014 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self discusses KU's home win over Iowa State

Bill Self discusses KU's home win over Iowa State

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Andrew Wiggins, Naadir Tharpe and Perry Ellis discuss home win vs. ISU

Andrew Wiggins, Naadir Tharpe and Perry Ellis discuss home win vs. ISU

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Iowa State's Georges Niang, DeAndre Kane and Fred Hoiberg credit KU for strong showing in 92-81 win.

Download podcast

KEEGAN RATINGS

Wiggins tops ratings again

Kansas 92, Iowa State 81

Box score

A 6-foot-8 guard from Ontario, Canada — much as another KU rookie did a year ago — exited to high fives and pats on the back after a stellar performance against Iowa State.

Andrew Wiggins exploded for a career-high 29 points off 10-of-16 shooting and dominated when needed down the stretch in the Jayhawks’ 92-81 victory over the Cyclones.

“I would say I’m feeling more comfortable on the court. Things are slowing down for me,” said Wiggins, who hit four of six threes and five of six free throws, resembling current Sacramento Kings rookie Ben McLemore, who burned ISU for 33 points a year ago in an overtime win in the fieldhouse. “My teammates (including Naadir Tharpe, who tied a career high with 12 assists) are looking for me. Getting the whole team involved is what it’s about.”

Wiggins showed his personality in trading comments with various Cyclones through the game.

“It wasn’t trash talk. I know a lot of them. It was just friendly chit-chat,” Wiggins said with a smile.

He was hit hard up high by Dustin Hogue with 3:27 left and KU leading, 75-72. Wiggins swished two intentional foul shots, then followed a missed shot by Joel Embiid (14 points, 11 rebounds) with a stickback layup, giving the Jayhawks (16-4, 7-0) a comfy 79-72 lead at 3:09.

“I did,” Wiggins said, asked if he thought the Hogue hit deserved to be called an intentional foul. “Just the way I felt after (getting hit). I felt something was wrong,” he added, again with a big smile.

KU coach Bill Self jogged toward the players after that intentional foul call, hoping to restore order.

“Somebody gets knocked down and a teammate goes to stand up for him and there can be pushing and shoving. We’re not the most mature group in the world. A couple times in that situation we have played a role in double technicals. I didn’t want that to happen,” Self said.

After an Iowa State turnover, Tharpe pitched ahead to Wiggins who rammed a vicious two-handed slam to give KU an 81-72 lead at 2:49.

Wiggins looked back to make sure no Cyclone was storming in to hammer him on the breakaway.

“Better safe than sorry,” Wiggins said. “I tried to make a safe basket, two points is two points at the end of the day.”

ISU (15-4, 3-4) would get no closer than six the rest of the game.

“I said all along his numbers will go up as he gets more comfortable,” Self said. “He appears more comfortable and more aggressive.

“He still took only 16 shots. It’s not like he’s hunting shots. He’ll have a game he gets 22 looks,” Self added noting Wiggins could really put up some big numbers if “he shoots the ball like that.”

Perry Ellis scored 20 points and grabbed six rebounds, while Tharpe had 12 points to go with his 12 assists. Wayne Selden had 11 points.

Frank Mason had three points. The freshman guard cashed a huge three with 7:21 left, upping a 68-63 lead to eight points.

“I was excited for Frank,” Self said. “Frank’s boy (Trey Songz, recording artist) was in the house. I thought he was a little nervous when he saw him. Trey came to see Frank tonight. He was sitting in the front row. Frank may have been a little nervous, but that was a big shot and he made a couple of bad plays  prior to that and needed that for his confidence.”

Mason said he’s known Songz for seven years.

“We had a talk and he decided he was going to come out and support me,” Mason said. “We went to the same high school. This was his first time seeing me in college. I wouldn’t say I was nervous, but it felt a little different,” Mason added.

Does he have a favorite Songz song?

“All of ‘em,” Mason said.

Does Self? “Bottoms Up,” Self stated with a grin.

KU had game-high leads of 16 points the first half, which ISU completely erased early in the second stanza. The Jayhawks led by 13 in the second half, ISU cutting that down to one point with 4:31 left.

KU will next meet Texas at 3 p.m., Saturday, in Austin, Texas.

Injuries: Conner Frankamp and Tarik Black did not play in the game.

“Conner hurt his knee two days ago. He couldn’t practice yesterday or today. X-rays were negative. It’s a bruised knee,” Self said. “I’m not overly optimistic he’ll be back tomorrow. He’s day to day. Tarik (ankle sprain) might have played. It would have been a tough game, a guy on one leg chasing (Georges) Niang.”

This, that: Billy Butler and Jeremie Guthrie of the Kansas City Royals attended. ...  A fan in the student section had maybe the sign of the year that read: “I Kissed Frankamp in 8th grade.” Frankamp was shown laughing on the video board as the picture was shown.

Comments

Scott MacWilliams 9 months, 3 weeks ago

“I would say I’m feeling more comfortable on the court. Things are slowing down for me,” said Wiggins. That, folks, is what I've been waiting to hear. As good as Wiggs has been, he clearly hasn't really looked like he was getting comfortable, as was expected early on. Now if he can feel comfortable in Austin and Stillwater, we are going to be in great shape. As for March, this is going to be a great run!!! And Wayne, what an INSANE interception on that pass!! I nearly fell out of my chair!! Rock that Chalk!! On to Austin to barbecue some 'Horns!

Benz Junque 9 months, 3 weeks ago

That statement by Wiggins should strike fear into opposing Big 12 coaches. With the softer schedule ahead for KU, I wouldn't be shocked to see Wiggins average over 20ppg in the remaining games of the season.

Walter Bridges 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't know if I have ever seen a team actually improve by such major leaps and bounds. We are not there yet but we are getting pretty damn close. Nobody wants to see Kansas in their bracket. The game against the Longhorns should be a good measuring stick as they also have come together as a team but they don't have the talent Kansas has. Always hard to win a conference game on the road. The road games are the ones that almost always decide the regular-season championship.

And dead on about Selden. This guy is off the wall on plays that don't show up on the stat sheet. That and his improving shooting is showing why he was so highly ranked. Think we have a good shot of him sticking around another year.

Bruce Beckum 9 months, 3 weeks ago

This is your mid-season take-home fan exam. Answer any four questions. Your responses should be well-organized argumentative essays of 500-750 words and each answer should include between three to five sources (MLA citation), drawn from scholarly peer-reviewed journals. You will be graded on depth and clarity of thought, strength of argument and strength of sources. You answers are due by midnight Thursday, 1/30/14.

1) Which Jayhawk (present or former) has the greatest smile? (ex: AWiggins, BenMac…)

2) What would you like to do to “fans” in Allen Fieldhouse using their phones? (ex: choke them, shake/slap them while yelling “Put that &@#$%!+ phone in your pocket”, unfriend them…)

3) Is Wayne Selden Jr. the greatest, most talented “glue guy” in the history of college basketball? (note: this question only considers Selden’s play this season and does not imply that he will always be “just a glue guy”)

4) What was up with the sweatshirt worn by that guy sitting behind HCBS? (the sweatshirt in question was charcoal in color, showed a symbol of a cross, followed by an unidentified symbol, then a dollar sign. You may consult your DVR).

5) Is the NCAA an effective, compassionate organization with only the athlete’s best interests in mind or the biggest con game in the history of western civilization? Show your work.

6) Who is the Jayhawks’ current biggest rival? (“No one” is not an acceptable answer)

7) I continually overate Big12 teams like isu and osu (based on how tough they play KU) and consequently have my ncaa tourney brackets busted when they underperform. When will I learn?

8) Which non-Jayhawk would you most like to have on our team? (ex: Marcus Smart, Jabari Parker…)

Ben Schwartz 9 months, 3 weeks ago

4.) that was probably Trey Songz or one of his posse. As mentioned in the article, he was there because he is a friend/peer of Mason's

Bruce Beckum 9 months, 3 weeks ago

This guy was near Trey, but it wasn't Trey

Walter Bridges 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I heard Trey asked Self if he could put him in the game during the final moments.

Andy Tweedy 9 months, 3 weeks ago

1) Bill Self 6) Me and my buddy were talking about that last night, and I would say Baylor, not because any Kansas person I know really so much hates Baylor, but I don't remember anybody being more hated in conference than Scott Drew. 8) Doug McDermott. I live in Omaha and saw him drop 39 on St. John's Tuesday night, including the game winning 3, falling down, with 2 seconds left. Offensively, he's unbelievable!

Lance Cheney 9 months, 3 weeks ago

3 - Come on, man. Really? Not even close. He was a turnover machine earlier in the year. He is really coming around though, and can be a big-time player. You only need to go back a year to find one better (Releford).

Walter Bridges 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Lance has a valid point. Too bad he couldn't post it without needing big bold letters to make his point.

Robin Smith 9 months, 3 weeks ago

4) that was Trey Songz and he was wearing a Crooks & Castles shirt. The "unidentified symbol" is Mickey Mouse hands forming a gun sign. So the shirt says God, Guns, & Money.

Bruce Beckum 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Many thanks Robin. I stared at that middle symbol on the dvr for way too long trying to figure that out. That's a class ethos Trey's got going there:)

Bryce Landon 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm glad we got the win, and I'm always glad to get a season sweep of the Cry-Clowns. But let's not kid ourselves here. Twice in this game we blew double digit leads (15 points in the first half and 11 points in the second half) and let them back in. Just like we blew a big lead against the Cowboys. We still are not mature enough to play from ahead. In three of our four losses, we have blown double-digit leads before the other team charged from behind en route to victory. Self himself said that this isn't a particularly mature team. Sooner or later, these guys have to develop a killer instinct - when you get a team down, make sure they stay down.

Benz Junque 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Believe it or not but ISU is actually a very good team as well and can play basketball. They made some clutch shots and had some stops on defense and kept the game competitive. It isn't always a case of KU letting teams back into it. We aren't going to score on every possession and shoot 75% for the game.

Walter Bridges 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I thought the loss of Black hurt Self's rotation.

Black and Traylor play really well together, although Lucas did a yeoman's job.

Rodney Crain 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Bryce this has been concern for me too, but I did not see that this game. First in Ames ISU could not hit a shot and only lost by 7. I figured if they shot even decently it would be a close game. The early lead was nice but I never felt it would be safe, they are just too good a matchup for us. Secondly we actually played pretty well if you look at the stats. We also had a response every time they got close too, that is a team that does not panic, but is focused, maturing. That was a nice win, showcasing two special players. It did not look like we lost a big second half lead like in the Ok State game. We executed the entire game, which is all I look for in our team win or lose. With this much talent and skill it should be all we need.

Gerry Butler 9 months, 3 weeks ago

let them get back in? that's good I like that we let them, we also withstood their comeback attempt, each and every time, also that's what is good, this team is young and still learning, which it is exactly that a learning process but it is what it is and THEY are definitely learning and growing, this is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the team that took the floor at the beginning of the year agree killer instinct needs to be there but I'm telling you its coming GO HAWKS

Walter Bridges 9 months, 3 weeks ago

It seemed to me that both times when we lost a double-digit lead it was when some of the starters were getting a rest and it also seemed that once the starting lineup was back in, we were able to pull away without much difficulty.

You can never know what will happen when Big Mo might take over and would have liked to have seen us hold on to the lead without needing the starters back. I think Black's injury has hurt this team a little as he and Traylor seemed to do really well playing together. Traylor certainly wasn't the energy player off the bench as he has been in the past.

Finally, Iowa State is a pretty good team and quite capable of fighting back against just about any team they play. I thought we did a really good job last night in stopping their runs and rebuilding the lead as they never got ahead of us.

Pam Goad 9 months, 3 weeks ago

After the past several games, my guilt over saying bad things about Wiggins is getting to me. Boy, was I ever wrong about that kid! He is a star! Especially of note (at least to me) is that he seems to be getting consistently good; not just a game her or there. I'm so happy to see how the team has gelled. No matter who's in the game at any given time, someone will do something great. Fun, fun, fun team now!

Jonathan Allison 9 months, 3 weeks ago

perhaps your criticisms served to goad him on toward greatness

Michael Pannacciulli 9 months, 3 weeks ago

How great is it to see Wiggins now turning into the confident and aggressive player we all hoped for! So exciting to see him improve. Happy for him, happy for the win, feeling good about where we are right now.

Robert Brown 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Some observations after watching the ISU game:

1. This team keeps improving and credit Bill Self and the coaching staff. A player is guaranteed to improve if he chooses to be coached by Bill Self.
  2. KU can certainly blow big leads quickly. I fear the NCAA tournament could be a Michigan like loss again.
  3. We really need to improve managing the clock down the stretch. We take a lot of bad shots late in the game with 10-15 seconds left on the clock.
  4. Perry Ellis is tough, but his move to the basketball always seems a bit forced.
  5. Not sure who I would want to take the final shot in tie game.
  6. Sweep this Texas road trip and KU is in great shape to win the conference outright. Though I think we were saying the same thing last year!
  7. The Big 12 is a fun league this year.

Jonathan Allison 9 months, 3 weeks ago

this year it could be KSU alum Lon Kruger pressing us for the league title.

Jeremy Paul 9 months, 3 weeks ago

5.) I think I'd have to go with Mason or Greene. I know they're not the most productive shooters on the team, but they both seem to have a bit of Jimmy Chitwood in them. They WANT the ball in that situation.

Benz Junque 9 months, 3 weeks ago

5) Andrew Wiggins. No one else is a close second. You put the ball in the hands of the most capable person, the person that has the most weapons at his disposal. He can shoot over anyone or drive around anyone if the situation demands it.

Erich Hartmann 9 months, 3 weeks ago

5) Wiggins or Tharpe. Both are proven players. I do like the comment above about Mason. But ask Forte about Tharpe in KU's OT win in Stalewater last year...For WiggiEffect, consider the end of the Duke game--it was all Wiggins. Absolute PTPer as a frosh. This is why I say he is the best freshman Self has ever got. My thanks to Self + Selden for getting Wiggins to KU.

RCJH!

Kent Richardson 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Iowa State is really good and we beat them when they were on their game. We showed gaps in our defense but also make some steals. From when Hogue hammered Wiggins it was game over after that. JoJo made some stunning plays around the rim at the end and the hype pictures are being colored in.

Jonathan Allison 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Last year the pre-conference commentary was that the Big 12 was Kansas and everybody else. That it was the race for second place. Teams used the Keegan column as motivation and KSU survived the brutal schedule to force a tie against the team that beat them twice. It was remarkable that they could go 14-2 against the other 8 teams in the league. This year it seems even more like the other Big 12 teams are beating eachother down. However, two dark horses have emerged with only 2 losses through 7 games with the usual suspects nipping at their heals. The league race is far from over.

No one should need any reminder of the three game skid that almost derailed KU a season ago, and what day did that streak start? February 2. Well our next game is on February 1, and we're on the road against the hottest team in the league doesn't wear crimson and blue. One thing should be certain, our team won't overlook the Longhorms, however, we seem to regularly shoot poorly in the Frank Erwin Center which should be a credit to Rick Barnes who has been everything but an offensive guru at Tejas U.

One unusual advantage this Kansas team has? Youth. Youth is an advantage for KU this year, because few on this team have traveled in the Big 12 conference. Few have struggled to score in the raucus Bramlage Barn, few had felt the hate from the Hostile Hilton crowd, or lost their cool in front of the cowboys and girls of Gallagher-Iba. These guys haven't experienced the long, silent trip home from West Texas after a loss. Every game is a new game, and every opponent is a fresh challenge. I'm sure that Bill Self told them that this isn't the AAU circuit, but to them it's all just basketball, and all of the rivalry stuff? Well that's just for the fans. They didn't grow up hating KSU. They aren't from the Kansas-Oklahoma state line, where you're indoctrinated from birth to root for the Jayhawks, Sooners, Wildcats or Cowpokes. They don't even know who Curtis Stinson is, or Hollis Price. Recent KU teams get clouded vision because of the memories of the past, but this team has a singular clear, unobstructed focus to just play and win and move on to the next date on the schedule. Youth is our advantage. It's a paradigm shift for Bill Self. We'll see if it pays dividends yet. But now is not the making or breaking point of the season. Never in January. The storm is coming.

Brett McCabe 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Your analysis is fair and pretty accurate. Last year's derailment was most surprising because we had experienced leadership on the team.

I think that the differences this year are talent and depth. This is a more talented team and I think that we have more depth. Though the bench didn't produce last night, it definitely gives us an ace in the hole that we have not had in the past couple of years.

With away games at Texas, Baylor, KSU and OSU still to play, this team will have to continue to improve every single week. Anything less and the league title will be up for grabs.

Walter Bridges 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Lack of productive PG play hurt us last year. You can see Tharpe's confidence growing.

12 assists, 1 TO. Phenomenal!

Bryce Landon 9 months, 3 weeks ago

This Texas team is definitely better than last year's squad that got its ass kicked by D-2 Chaminade and settled for a CBI bid. Thing is, we almost got run out of the gym by last year's Texas squad in Austin before we mounted a comeback at the end. It'll be interesting to see how KU plays against a much better UT team.

Gerry Butler 9 months, 3 weeks ago

got some random thoughts, random expressions, you may agree or disagree its ok just one persons opinion: it is becoming clear to me he has grown a lot. 1 thing he has become a lot more aggressive on the offensive end of the court, the shots he passed up acted like he was almost afraid to take earlier in the year he now is taking those shots, 2nd he must be putting in a lot of time on his shot, looks so much better his shot that earlier when he did take the shot it was like for me anyways was like NO that's not the guy I want shooting the ball at this point in the game, not because of who it was but because they weren't dropping, he had an ugly looking shot, but much much better . and then also 3rd, like I heard and also read its like pick your poison we are becoming a very dangerous team now who you wanna ty and close down, a lot of weapons, inside, outside, players coming up making big plays at big time. I have to believe having that rough schedule was a definite bonus ya we took some hits, but it has paid off, don't think we are gonna face anybody tougher then our nonconference teams we played, and its showing for us, really like how the guys are showing poise, they could of any maybe would of hit the panic button earlier I the year but now showing poise still be able to win just my thoughts guys GO HAWKS

Tony Bandle 9 months, 3 weeks ago

OAKVILLE ODDITIES:

1] Let's see...thirteen schollie players, Mickelson redshirt, Black and Frankamp injured, White MIA, Greene about 5 minutes...yup, looks like Bill is up to his 8 +/- rotation tricks.

2] If I recall, it was a one point game with three minutes left then KU hit the gas and wiped the "Clones out.....impressive, but dangerous.

3] Andrew benefits from Jo Jo on the court....Jo Jo benefits from Andrew on the court....everybody benefits from Andrew and Jo Jo on the court.

4] Perry Ellis is silently, stealthfully becoming a "monster"!!

5] Resting Tarik makes sense..we will need his big body and five fouls for taking on the Texas Forest Saturday.

6] Damn..I hope Rick Barnes sudden grasp of coaching is a temporary anomoly.

7] Whoever is coaching the Jayhawks on foul shooting deserves a big fat raise!!!!

8] Andrea Hudy intimidates me even when dressed up and wearing make-up....I'll bet she could clean Rhonda Rousey's clock.

9] QUICK HITS - KU consistency = 46 points each half / Tyler looking sharp on bench, future coach? / Jo Jo's Dad thought his son playing basketball was just an "extracurricular" activity!! / At their current rate of improvement, Kansas may have two First Team freshman All-Americans!! / The cream-colored retro uni's are AWESOME!!!

Benz Junque 9 months, 3 weeks ago

1] As bad as both Mason and Traylor were out there last night, I am sure that Self would have liked to have had Frankamp and Black available to put in there for a few minutes. Mason got worked over hard last night. That was one of the most brutal +/- games in recent history:

Frank Mason -12 on the night with a Roland Rating of -35 meaning that Kansas was +23 when Mason was on the bench and -12 when he was on the floor. That is far and away the worst number of any Kansas player in any game this year.

Gerry Butler 9 months, 3 weeks ago

hey, well just checked out the latest bracketology kinda interesting . the 4 nu 1 seeds are ARIZONA, SYRACUSE, KANSAS, WICHITA STATE so how is that for ya? and they also in the south have placed Kansas State and if they win they they will probably play Wichita State as they have ksu as a 8 seed and Wichita state is the number 1 seed in the south. as of right now they have 6 big 12 teams in the tourney they are: KU #1 in the Midwest Oklahoma state #5, texas #7 and Kansas state #8 in the south Oklahoma #5 in the east and iowa state #5 in the west. some of the more stiffer teams in the Midwest are Minnesota, Kentucky, Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Ucla, and then the #2 seed is MICHIGAN STATE. so if it panned out that way looks like a pretty decent bracket GO HAWKS

Benz Junque 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I do not ever want to see Michigan State in a bracket again. Izzo's style matches up very well against Self's system.

Erich Hartmann 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Just think about this FACT for a moment: In the last 12mos, KU has beaten IowaState 5(FIVE) times. Amazing. Talk about talking their lumps--they've got a pop-knot so big it'll need its own movie ticket...