Sunday, January 12, 2014

Top juco RB to visit KU

Kansas University football recruiting.

Kansas University football recruiting.

Junior College All-American De’Andre Mann, a standout running back at Hartnell College in Salinas, Calif., has scheduled an official visit with Kansas University for the weekend of Jan. 17.

Mann, a 5-foot-10, 205-pound Miami native, is the top rated juco running back in the country according to JCGridiron.com. His 1,706 yards (155 per game) led California in rushing during the 2013 season. In 2012, he finished with more than 1,400 yards from scrimmage and 17 touchdowns.

Mann has offers from Colorado State, Georgia State, Hawaii, Idaho, New Mexico, Purdue, Utah State and Western Kentucky. The three-star prospect currently has visits set up with KU, Georgia State (Jan. 24) and Purdue (Jan. 31) and is hoping to make a decision soon.

In an interview with Rivals.com’s Rob Cassidy, Mann admitted that he knew very little about the KU program before getting brought up to speed by the coaching staff. KU coach Charlie Weis visited Mann in California last season but could not contact him due to recruiting rules.

“Everybody is excited about me coming up,” Mann told Cassidy of the reaction of the KU coaches. “I know that they have a great staff with guys that have coached in the NFL. They have a great running-back coach, too. I’m excited to see the campus.”

Regardless of how things play out, Mann appears eager to make a decision.

“I’m ready to get this process over with,” he told Jon Kirby of JayhawkSlant.com. “I want to know where I will be playing so I can focus on that. I want to get it over so I can get down to business.”

D-End also visiting

Kapil Fletcher, a 6-4, 255-pound defensive end and teammate of Mann’s at Hartnell, also is planning a visit the weekend of Jan. 17.

Fletcher, a two-star prospect drawing interest from Colorado, Hawaii, Mississippi State, New Mexico and others, has just two years of football experience but finished the 2013 season with 45 tackles, six sacks and 7.5 tackles for loss.

“The coaches have said I am versatile because in pass situations I can play outside and I can also play against the run,” Fletcher told Kirby. “Since I haven’t been playing football for that long they said I have not developed any bad habits.”

WR to walk on?

According to a tweet from @sportsinkansas, Michael Glatczak, of Butler, will join the KU program this offseason as a preferred walk-on.

Glatczak, a 5-foot-11, 174-pound speed receiver, was a standout at Centralia High during his prep days. He led the Grizzlies in both receptions (27) and yards (402) during the 2013 season and ranked second on the team in touchdowns, with three, while working mostly out of the slot.

Comments

Doug Cramer 6 months, 2 weeks ago

2014 recruiting class isn't looking so hot. We were heavy on Juco recruits last year that didn't work out. With the lack of underclassman currently in the program...dark days are ahead.

Dirk Medema 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Coach Weis has said for a long time that the last class and this class will be heavy on JC's because we are light on upperclassmen. There are still a number of the last class that are getting ready in the wings. The L's aren't as Coach had planned, nor the 3 defections from the last class, but the rest is exactly as Coach told us from the beginning.

Lots of time left in this class that has some exceptional athletes in the fold already. Surprised that this article does not mention the Hartnell teammate that is already signed.

Aaron Paisley 6 months, 1 week ago

Do you have any other opinions about KU football because you type the same thing on every football article almost verbatim every time?

Terry N Tom Denner 6 months, 1 week ago

The way he " Doug Cramer " slaps KU around it makes you wonder if he's not some MU fan just trash talking on here ?

Brett McCabe 6 months, 2 weeks ago

A little surprised at the list of offers for the number one juco running back but it certainly could work to our advantage. Given the success of James Sims on some very weak football teams, any uncommitted running back would have to give our program a strong look. Let's home for unseasonably warm temps on the 17th since these guys are coming from California.

Though I am nervous about this class, I am encouraged that we have Reagan on staff to help evaluate and recruit talent. I'm a little surprised we haven't landed more Texas kids, but there is a month of recruiting left, so maybe there are some talented kids on the horizon.

Marc Frey 6 months, 2 weeks ago

We have some red-shirts coming too. I too am concerned, but hope a few things are in the works.

Dirk Medema 6 months, 1 week ago

De'Andre is indeed the "top ranked" JC RB. Unfortunately, what isn't said is that he is a 3* and not ranked in the top 250 JC player. He still could be a valuable player, but it's not like we're getting Tre Mason.

Makes me wonder if Tony's condition and Darren's situation isn't getting better. We need some insurance back there.

Brandon Mahon 6 months, 1 week ago

I will admit i am starting to worry about this class. I was okay with it a week or more ago but as signing day is coming faster and faster it seems like we dont have any 4 star JUCO or HS recruits that we are chasing, or even alot of 3 stars... I really hope that Weis and the guys have a plan because I am starting to worry just a little bit.

Also a little worried that we haven't seen a coaching change in the positions that have been horrendous the past 2 years... WR/QB..... The OC change was great tho.

Lucas Town 6 months, 1 week ago

I agree, but one of my biggest concerns is OL and DL. We need to get better in these areas before we can use the QBs, RBs and WRs to our advantage.