Kansas defeats Kansas State, 86-60

• 1 p.m., Jan. 11, 2014
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Cram session: Wiggins, Jayhawks learn importance of Sunflower Showdown

Kansas guard Andrew Wiggins gets up for a dunk over Kansas State guard Marcus Foster during the second half on Saturday, Jan. 11, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self on KU's 86-60 win over KSU and Monday's showdown with Iowa State

Bill Self on KU's 86-60 win over KSU and Monday's showdown with Iowa State

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Naadir Tharpe, Wayne Selden and Andrew Wiggins discuss the latest victory in the KU-K-State rivalry

Download podcast

Wayne Selden stays hot

Keegan Ratings

Somebody did a good job of briefing Canadian basketball sensation Andrew Wiggins on the Kansas University-Kansas State basketball rivalry the past few days.

“It’s tradition. What are we, 186-91 now?” Wiggins said, rattling off the results of the all-time series against K-State after burning the Wildcats for 22 points in the Jayhawks’ 86-60 victory in Saturday’s Sunflower Showdown in Allen Fieldhouse.

“(We wanted to) extend the lead to show we are the most dominant team in Kansas,” the Jayhawks' freshman guard added.

Wiggins — he hit seven of 13 shots, including three of four threes and five of six free throws and also shut down KSU freshman Marcus Foster (seven points, 3-of-12 shooting) — was just a bit off on his figures regarding the rivalry.

KU is now 187-91 all-time versus KSU, including a 44-18 mark in Allen Fieldhouse.

As far as who gave Wiggins the information ... apparently it was not head coach Bill Self.

“I never talk like that. Maybe somebody did something, (but) I never talk like that,” Self stated.

Self did, however, show films of past KU-KSU games to the Jayhawks prior to the game.

“With six freshmen and Tarik (Black, Memphis transfer) being a newcomer, we wanted to put them in a mindset of the energy and type of emotion this game has been played with in the past,” Self said.

“It might have helped. I don’t know. I don’t think it helped us make any more shots. Any time we can educate our youngsters on certain things ... I think if we’d have gone into the game and had them not understanding that, I think I’d have been upset with myself afterwards.”

Black — who scored the 1,000th point in his college career on a day he totaled four points, four rebounds and two blocks in 15 minutes — indicated some members of the KU hoops staff were the ones providing the numbers regarding KU vs. KSU.

“Yeah they’ve been over it with us,” Black said. “Even though we are new here, we know it’s a personal game, very personal, for both teams. We know for us, especially, we have to get a win, protect the home floor first and foremost. At the same time defend our legacy with the rivalry.”

Black — he had a great pass to Jamari Traylor for an assist on a highlight-reel bucket and was recipient of a nice feed from Traylor for his own hoop — said watching KU-KSU films proved educational and inspirational.

“We saw tapes of old games, showing us the energy in the building, even at their place,” said Black, who said he understood what the films were meant to convey upon entering the fieldhouse Saturday morning.

“You could tell it was grind time,” Black said. “You could tell it was a personal one for everybody. You walk in, look around and say, ‘This is the game.’ We’re blessed to be able to play games like this where the intensity is high ... great teams clashing together, expectations that come from the game and fulfilling those expectations.”

Freshman Wayne Selden scored 14 points the first half as KU took a 45-28 lead into the break. It was Wiggins’ turn to dominate the scoring the final half, with 17 points off 5-of-10 shooting. At one point, he had 13 points in a row for KU, including two off a vicious one-handed dunk.

“I think I was more calm than last game and the games before that,” said Wiggins, who had nine points off 2-of-9 shooting in Wednesday’s win at Oklahoma and 14 points off 4-of-14 shooting in a loss to San Diego State last Sunday.

“I think I’m just having fun. Coach mentioned today in the locker room we have eight more games left to play in Allen Fieldhouse, so I’m just trying to enjoy every one of them.”

Wiggins acknowledged that as a “streaky shooter,” he needs to “get in the gym” and continually put up shots.

“It’s all repetition,” he said. “I haven’t changed anything. My father told me when I was young my shot will naturally change as I get older. I think that’s what it’s doing.”

As far as his defense ... the 6-8 Wiggins gladly accepted the challenge to guard the 6-2 Foster.

“It was fun, because he’s the second-leading scorer in the Big 12,” Wiggins said. “People say he’s one of the best freshmen, so it’s always good to match up and see where you stand.”

Of Wiggins’ work on defense, Self said: “Andrew’s length bothers a lot of folks. Foster is a good player, aggressive. A 7-2 or whatever wingspan guarding 6-2, the advantage would be Foster getting the ball down on the deck and beating us off the bounce. But Andrew slides very well also. He made shots, so he played well offensively. I thought he had a good game defensively as well.”

The Jayhawks played well from the opening tip, storming to the 17-point halftime lead because of ultra-efficient play.

KU had zero turnovers the first half against 14 assists.

“The ball moved and I think we got 19 baskets in the first half and 14 assists,” Self said of the Jayhawks, who hit 65.5 percent of their shots the first half and 56.1 percent overall. “I don't think we've ever had 14 assists in a half, with no turnovers, and of course that helped. We did a good job taking care of the ball. Naadir (Tharpe)’s line wasn't good scoring, obviously, but it was good: nine assists, zero turnovers (with four points).

“One thing that really concerned us was their ability, especially No. 5's (Jevon Thomas) ability to pressure the ball and I thought our guards did a real good job of being sound with it.”

It all added to a stat that is worth repeating.

KU has won 187 games against the Cats against 91 losses. But as far as Wiggins’ assertion KU is the most dominant team in Kansas ... wouldn’t his brother, Nick, who plays for Wichita State, take exception to that?

“Yes, but that’s all part of competition,” Wiggins said. “They are competitive. They are going to think their team is the best. We are going to think our team is the best. Kansas State probably still thinks their team is the best. It’s all competition.”

Now 11-4 overall and 2-0 in the Big 12, KU travels to (14-1, 2-1) Iowa State on Monday for an 8 p.m. game against the Cyclones. K-State (12-4, 2-1) will play host to Oklahoma on Tuesday night.

Comments

Sarah Carr 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Now on to Hilton for a HUGE Big Monday!

Doug Cramer 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Wayne Selden - if you're reading this, dude I'm sorry for saying you get too much playing time last week. Thanks for proving me wrong, and thanks for you're contributions in making KU basketball great. " I was wrong ".

Darrell White 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Wiggins good game, Selden good game, Kansas Jayhawks excellent basketball game, if Wiggins can continue to play with a sense of urgency, there's no stopping US, I'm excited, can't wait until Monday

Steve Zimmerman 9 months, 3 weeks ago

If the TEAM play this good, yes. I second your thought. Selden & Wiggins played the way we have been expecting them all this time. Ellis, if he dominates rebounding and slamjam every opportunities around the basket, he's not far away from top10 draft. 5 dunks in one game - I am a happy camper!!! Hopefully, we'll abuse just about every team we face from this point on. S/O for a job well done to KUMB!! Rock Chalk!!!

Bryce Landon 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I hope one of the games that they were shown was the 1988 Elite Eight edition of the Sunflower Showdown. :)

Good win, Hawks (aside from Joel's flagrant 2 foul and ejection), and now let's go take down the Cry-Clowns!

Bryce Landon 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Oh and by the way, the 70s-style uniforms were pretty sweet!

Nancy Clyde 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Great game. I was at the field house for the first time and the energy from the players and crowd were amazing. Every possession was intense and the players treated each loose ball and each chance to score like we were tied. The effort and hustle when we were ahead by so much never changed. If the Jayhawks can play like this Monday we will not be stopped. I was amazed at how gracious the players were aft the game. They stayed and signed autographs for almost an hour. My six year old son was so excited to have Andrew, Joel, and Perry sign his stuffed Jayhawk. We are so fortunate.

Matt Gauntt 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Where are all of the "sky is falling" fans that thought this team was on the verge of imploding a month ago. You know who you are. You can say it "I was wrong. I'm sorry I overreacted".

Kent Richardson 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Memo to Chicken Little Fans: If you stick together Matt will never find you. If you don't know who you are you are safe. I'm sorry your team was on the verge of imploding.

Anonymous.

Matt Gauntt 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Your "anonymous" post kind of loses it's zing when your name shows up at top.

Kent Richardson 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I was just passing it along for someone else.

Yonatan Negash 9 months, 3 weeks ago

The moment of truth we've all been waiting for is near. We'll soon learn how far these young Jayhawks have come, what they've learned from playing against mature teams like Villanova, Colorado, Florida and San Diego State. There is no doubt in my mind playing at Iowa State will be a tough test for these young Jayhawks. But if there is any value in playing tough teams early, then we should be ready for this test.

I have to admit, I'm not even sure DeAndre Kane's playing status really matters in this game. I assure you Iowa State hasn't forgotten about the controversial loss from last year and will be ready to play.

The key for us tomorrow is leadership and our inside play.

How do we beat Iowa State?

1. J. Embiid will have a big game, Iowa State doesn't have anyone to stop him

2. T. Black can have a big game as long as he stays out of foul trouble

3. P. Ellis & N. Tharpe have to play a leadership role

4. Kansas has to contain the 3's, Iowa State loves shooting the 3 (i.e, Melvin Ejim)

5. A. Wiggins and W. Selden will play well

6. The point guard position has to be reliable and control the game

7. Referees have to stay out of this game, they can't get caught up in trying to make up for missed calls from last year or favor the home team (yes, this does happen)

Aaron Paisley 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Kane is their starting point guard and is on the short list for national POY so far this year. Even if he plays Monday, he's not going to be 100% and that is a big deal for them. When KU beats them (thinking positively there), we'll have to hear ISU people whine about Kane either not playing or not being 100%.

Bryce Landon 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Of course, the Cry-Clowns fans conveniently forget all the bogus calls that went their way until the Niang flop at the end.

Yonatan Negash 9 months, 3 weeks ago

In my mind Kane's injury doesn't matter because Iowa State will play to win with or without Kane.

I'm hopeful our guys don't go in this game thinking this is an easy game because that's hardly the case.

My prediction is this will be a close game and will go down to the wire. The team with the least mistakes will win.

If I had to pick, I'd say KU should win but there are a lot of variables that need to workout in favor of KU.

KU needs to go into this game with the mindset of a hunter and not the hunted.

Rodney Crain 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Well if you lose a talented player, who was playing at an All America level, and is 24% of your teams points and about 30% of your rebounds per game, plus playing 33 mins a game, they will feel his loss. Its kind of like losing Thomas Robinson his junior year against a very good conf. team at home. Sure at home that place will be crazy, and Fred will have them playing to win, but if Kane does not play I think it will matter. There will be many keys, but our perimeter defense, def. rebounding, and making our shots are ones I will be watching for. Agree ain't going to be easy, but when has it ever been easy there with Fred there?

Benz Junque 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Agreed. Everyone WANTS to win. If you don't have enough talent on the floor, it won't matter. ISU will still be tough but KU has a much better chance today than they did two days ago. Kane is far and away their best player. Ejim and Niang are still very good but Kane can get his own whenever he wants.

Gerry Butler 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Yonatan,how you handle the pressure, actually there should probably be more pressure on iowa state this time around. why you might ask? good question, but here is what I'm looking at #1. they are the higher ranked team right now they are out to prove that they should be higher ranked.#2 they are playing at home, #3. they are coming off a loss #4 they know they can't afford another league loss this early into conference season. again NOT SAYIN this is all truth but things to think about. everbody is putting so much into kane playing truea star player for them but I know they have enough on that team besides him that it is still going to be a very hard game to win, we just have to pull together and continue to get better. GO HAWKS

Tim Deegan 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Nice little piece on Wayne on the CBS sports site, calling him the cream of the college crop for NBA shooting guard prospects. Always nice to some big media love for our guys...

Benz Junque 9 months, 3 weeks ago

NO! I don't want anyone talking up Selden. I want him to come back next year.

Rodney Crain 9 months, 3 weeks ago