Tuesday, January 7, 2014

KU football to play Illinois in 2023, 2024

Kansas and Illinois will meet on the gridiron for the first time since 1968 when the Jayhawks host the Illini in 2023 as the first part of a home-and-home series, it was announced Tuesday afternoon.

The 2023 home game against Illinois is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 9, at Memorial Stadium in Lawrence. KU will travel to Champaign, Ill., for a return game at the Illini's Memorial Stadium on Sept. 7, 2024.

"I am really pleased to add Illinois to our schedule," said Kansas football head coach Charlie Weis. "This series gives us another opportunity to play a game in an important area to our recruiting efforts. Additionally, it's a chance to accommodate our large alumni base in the Chicago area."

Kansas trails the all-time series with Illinois, 2-3. KU defeated the Illini, 26-4, on Nov. 1, 1892 in Lawrence in the programs' first ever meeting. The 1892 meeting came in KU's second year of fielding a football team.

Illinois put together three-straight wins over KU, all in games played in Champaign. The Illini took a 30-0 win in 1916, followed by a 22-0 victory versus the Jayhawks in 1917. They closed out the winning streak with a 25-0 triumph over KU in 1929.

The Jayhawks won the most recent game against Illinois, putting together a 47-7 win in Champaign on Sept. 21, 1968.

Comments

Daniel Kennamore 6 years, 4 months ago

Maybe in 9 years we'll actually have progressed enough to stand a chance.

Phil Leister 6 years, 4 months ago

I predict we'll have seen two new KU head football coaches get hired by the time the 2023 game is played.

Casey Osburn 6 years, 4 months ago

I gotta say, on the surface this sounds exciting. But when I think about it for 10 seconds, I ask myself, "why??"

We should be adopting the Bill Snyder/Mark Mangino theory on nonconference scheduling; easy division 1 opponents that are essentially automatic wins. 3 of those per season to open the year 3-0, then use the Big 12 to try and get the other 3-4 wins for bowl eligibility.

The negatives far outweigh the positives in scheduling tough nonconference opponents in football. We don't need it, we play in the Big 12. And we certainly don't need to be doing it until we are a solid team, if and when.

Allin Herring 6 years, 4 months ago

Not sure Illinois is a tough non conference foe. They are one the worst teams in the BIG 10

Blake Lehning 6 years, 4 months ago

With the new playoff system you will not see many if any schools from the Big 4 power conferences not going to count the American as a power conference playing FCS schools anymore. I am not sure of the year but I think starting in 2016 you will see all Big 12 schools playing only FBS division schools.

Matt Gauntt 6 years, 4 months ago

As my screen name would imply, I live here in Illinois. There are a TON of KU alum up here in the Chicago area. In 2004, we had a series with Northwestern. It was so exciting to be there, look across the field at Coach Mangino and enjoy KU Football. There were several thousand KU fans in the stands.

Last year (2012) we had KU come to Northern Illinois University. Great game. We barely lost. Again, thousands of KU fans in the stands, which is significant considering what an awful program we had that year.

Really happy to see the Athletic Department scheduling some games for us up here in Illinois. Just wish we didn't have to wait 9 years, but I understand.

Damian Glaze 6 years, 4 months ago

Phil beat me to it. Why would Weis be the person to comment on this story. Even if we were to win the National Championship two years in a row, he would likely not be here by 2023. This news was worth about two paragraphs. Hell, Zenger is unlikely to be here in 2023.

Bryce Landon 6 years, 4 months ago

Why do football games have to be scheduled nearly a decade in advance?

Kevin Robert Fest 6 years, 4 months ago

Long time fan from california.....I agree with the fact that there is no way Weiss will even be the coach by then so what's the point of his comments. But what I respectfully disagree with is the post about scheduling a weak non conference opponents. What the point of that? To say the team beat 3 weak teams in the hopes that they go to a lower tier bowl? Yeah we beat the Sisters of the Poor and went 6-6 and went to the New Mexico Bowl. Wow that would make a great year? Let's face it over the past couple of years the Jayhawks have lost to Rice(twice) N Illinois North Dakota State (Div2) and we barely beat Louisiana Tech this year. If you want to grow as a program or be taken seriously you have to start playing with the big boys. Rutgers Hawaii Duke Houston coming up is a good start. I'm not interested in seeing the Jayhawks play Central Michigan. Sorry. Now every team in Div 1 plays cupcakes but over the years KUs nonconference schedule has been laughable and we end up losing those games to boot.

Ludwig Supraphonic 6 years, 4 months ago

I was at the 1892 game and thought the team was disorganized and lacking in fundamentals. The coach seemed inexperienced and his offensive strategy was inept. Oh, and I thought the facilities needed an upgrade and I suggested a better fight song that included local minerals.

Michael Pannacciulli 6 years, 4 months ago

When will we get the 2056 schedule confirmed?