Saturday, February 15, 2014

Notebook: White gives it his all in rare minutes

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self on Perry Ellis's career game vs. TCU

Kansas coach Bill Self talked about Perry Ellis's 32-point afternoon, as well as KU's improved defense in the second half and the fact that Joel Embiid will play on Tuesday at Texas Tech.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Perry Ellis, Wayne Selden and Andrew Wiggins on KU's blowout win over TCU

Perry Ellis, Wayne Selden and Andrew Wiggins discussed the Jayhawks' second-half recovery and Ellis's monster game following KU's home win over TCU.

Download podcast

KANSAS 95, TCU 65

Box score

Kansas University sophomore Andrew White III, who hadn’t scored a point since Thanksgiving Day, busted the drought with four points in five minutes in Saturday’s 95-65 victory over TCU in Allen Fieldhouse.

“It felt good. I think those were my first points in conference play,” said White, who entered having played eight minutes total in Big 12 action.

“Coach (Bill Self) has been stressing to be aggressive. That’s what I want to do. Although I was cold and stiff, I knew I had (the last) four minutes to give it everything I’ve got. I went out there and played hard. It’s all I can do at this point. I think I blended in with the other walk-ons. Every opportunity I get I’m going to play hard regardless of how much time it is or what the score is.”

White, who is on scholarship, had hoped for more this season.

“It’s been real frustrating,” the 6-6 guard from Richmond, Va., said. “Although there’s a lot of talent here, everybody kind of has their own expectations when the year starts. That’s usually them planning to play well and get playing time. It didn’t go accordingly. I’m not happy about it obviously but I don’t complain. I don’t make phone calls home complaining. I just do what I can and that’s work hard in practice every day and try to be ready when and if coach calls on me. It’s been a big down point but I’ll recover.”

White stressed: “I’ve not been slacking in practice. Me being on the court (sparingly) isn’t an indication of what I’m doing off the court. I’ve been practicing hard. I’ve been putting in extra time. I’ve been competing with guys at my position as if I was playing. It’s a matter of getting there. That’s in coach’s hands, not mine.”

Senior Tarik Black was happy to see White get on the board.

“Andrew is one of the hardest workers we have on our team by far,” Black said. “It was good to see him out there. He was doing his thing. He was knocking down shots and playing defense. I’m happy for him.”

More discipline: KU freshman Brannen Greene was held out of the game by Self for what was deemed “a pattern of irresponsible behavior.”

Self said he expected Greene to return to action Tuesday at Texas Tech.

“We are a team. Obviously, I like them a lot. I actually think they are too nice (but) we can have slippage from a responsibility standpoint,” Self said. “That’s basically what happened with him. This would have been a game he could have played a lot of minutes.

“Certainly to me,  I would rather try to have their heads right early in their career than being lax and trying to get them back later. I would rather address this, get it out of the way. Now he’ll know better.”

Jamari Traylor returned from his one-game suspension to score a career-high 10 points with eight boards in 22 minutes.

Embiid to return soon: KU freshman Joel Embiid, who has a sore knee and back, missed the game. Self said he should practice today and be back in action Tuesday at Texas Tech.

“He could have played today if he needed to,” Self said. “He is not totally pain-free. We’ll get him out there tomorrow and see what he can do, but he should be able to play Tuesday.”

She blinked: Actress Barbara Eden, best known for her role as a genie in the 1960s TV series, “I Dream of Jeannie” attended with her husband, KU grad Jon Eicholtz, and sat next to KU’s chancellor. Eden was shown on the scoreboard at various junctures and even performed her trademark head nod and blink for the fans, who gave her a loud ovation.

Other faces in crowd: Former KU players Brandon Rush, Jeff Withey and Nick Collison, who are in the NBA, attended, as did former KU players Matt Kleinmann, Mario Little, Wayne Simien and Kevin Young, as well as former KU football player Steven Johnson of the Denver Broncos.

Stats, facts: KU held TCU to 41 shot attempts, fewest since Colorado’s 38 attempts on March 12, 1993 in the Big Eight Tournament. The 41 attempts marked the fewest in a regular-season conference game since Nebraska’s 39 attempts on Feb. 16, 1988. ... KU is 10-2 in Big 12 play. It’s the 20th-straight year the Jayhawks have won 10 or more conference games (beginning in 1994-95). ... KU is 7-1 all-time vs. TCU. ... KU has won 112 straight games against unranked teams in Allen. ... KU has scored in the 90s six times, most 90-point regular-season games since the 2010-11 team won seven. ... The 95 points were a season-high. ... KU shot 61.5 percent (40-for-65), its highest percentage since 66 percent (31-for-47) efficiency against Texas Tech in the 2013 Big 12 Tournament. ... KU out-rebounded TCU, 35-18 (21-7 in the second half). ... TCU’s 18 rebounds were fewest by a KU foe since Oklahoma had 16 boards on Feb. 26, 2011. ... Kyan Anderson’s 21 first-half points are the by a player by halftime, topping Jabari Parker of Duke, who had 19 points in the first half  (11/12/13). ...KU missed its first six free throws and finished 10 of 17.

KU player notes: Perry Ellis’ 13 field goals were most since Elijah Johnson’s 13 buckets at Iowa State (2/25/13). ... Ellis is KU’s first 30-point scorer since Ben McLemore scored 36 against West Virginia (3/2/13). ... Ellis scored 21 points in the second half, most by a Jayhawk in a half since Travis Releford’s 21 in the first half against Saint  Louis during the CBE Classic (11/20/12). ... Andrew Wiggins’ 16.1 scoring average is currently the best all-time by a KU freshman.

Comments

Mark Lindrud 8 months, 1 week ago

So, Traylor sits out a game then Greene doesn't learn from Traylor and sits a game. Now that's dumb. You're being counted on to help a top 10 team and it's time to grow up.

Jason Keller 8 months, 1 week ago

Andrew White looks good out there. He looks like he's put on 10 pounds of muscle at least. He's gonna be a gamer next year.

Benz Junque 8 months, 1 week ago

We've had these same conversations about a lot of players in the past. I remember having this same question with Elijah Johnson early on at Kansas. If White wants to put in the work to try to gain a spot playing at Kansas then he will. If he doesn't feel he is good enough to earn more playing time or he isn't satisfied with what he thinks he will be able to earn then Kansas isn't the place for him.

He seems to be a nice young man who is working hard, but not every player is good enough to play at Kansas, no matter what their high school rankings were. I hope that every player that is fortunate enough to earn a roster spot at Kansas is a player that contributes to the team success but that simply isn't possible.

Gerry Butler 8 months, 1 week ago

agree 100% Bradley, there is no doubt in my mind that white is gone. and you can't blame him, you can't blame him, you can't blame coach self. its all about numbers, that and the fact he got hurt and lost important playing and practice time, I think he for sure will transfer and paly a huge role wherever he goes. there are ALOT of places where he can go and play HUGE minutes, just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Brandon Mahon 8 months, 1 week ago

I wanted White to be one of the guys to redshirt this year but he played so well in the exhibition games and the first couple games then kinda slipped up and got hurt. I wish he would redshirt and stay because there is nothing wrong with sitting out a year because he is only going to get better. But he will probably end up leaving sadly

Titus Canby 8 months, 1 week ago

I hope White doesn't transfer. He could be complaining publicly, but he's not. The fact that teammates mention how hard he's working makes me think he has his head in the right place. Plus, I'll take a talented junior next year over a talented OAD.

Jack Wilson 8 months, 1 week ago

Maintaining a place on KU's roster is an ongoing battle. White has apparently lost the battle.

One quote that was left out of the story above is below from White:

“I think I’ve been doing everything in practice. There’s just a lot of guys that coach has more faith in. He (Self) would have a better answer for that question than me,”

That is important. The key here is that Self has determined, total package, that Greene and Frankamp (though Frankamp plays on the ball some) are better options. That's competition.

White is behind four freshmen - Wiggins, Selden, Greene, and Frankamp. We have Oubre coming in, top 10 guy.

We can wish things like this didn't happen to a kid, but they do. Self's job is to put the best team on the floor. There's something (or things) that Self doesn't like relative to others. It is a war of attrition.

Some have said, "oh, wait, White can stay, work hard, and earn playing time." But the kid only gets two more seasons to play basketball, and he has hardly played in his first two seasons.

The reason the quote I added above is so important is that, going forward, what makes anyone think that Self 's "faith" in White will increase that significantly? But more importantly, should White bank his future on that possible change in "faith"?

I'm sure VCU, UVA, Richmond, Maryland, or some other solid hoops school would welcome him; and after sitting a year, he'd get to actually play the game.

Titus Canby 8 months, 1 week ago

Good point. At the end of the day, White has to do what's best for him.

Rodney Crain 8 months, 1 week ago

That quote is quite telling. If I were him and that is what I believed I would transfer to a decent Div. 1 team that I could play my last two years for. I hate to see him go but he has few options left here.

Nice pickup on that piece of info Jack.

Erich Hartmann 8 months, 1 week ago

I mean White is an active, good shooting, 6'6 highly conditioned dude at this point after a year of Hudy + Self. Why cant he go to UNC or Duke or KY? He is the product of a royalty program, why not hope for a top tier destination for him?

Of, course I wish he just stays. There is NO guarantee that Oubre as a frosh will be better than Year 3 of AW3. And if Selden goes pro along with Wiggins, White absolutely will start at either the 2 or the 3. There is total uncertainty on KU's roster next season regarding Selden & Wiggins. The only given is that Wiggybaby is gone.

Kevin Huffman 8 months, 1 week ago

I've always LIKED White. BUT his 3 pt. stroke that he was supposed to be known for has NEVER really looked right here.

Throw on top of that, that for a "3" man he moves defensively like he's guarding a "4".

The best time he EVER had were the mins. where he had to spell Releford & Young at PF in our loss to OSU at home last year. Surprisingly he did a pretty good job rebounding and he CAN guard College 4-man.

Unfortunately, he can't really guard the 3-men and NO WAY can he guard a 2.

Greene's PROBABLY a 3AD talent. He's got the quickness and ball-handling over White AND is probably tied w/ Conner for prettiest & most accurate 3-pt. shot.

I just see White transferring to somewhere closer to home like Richmond (he's actually from Richmond), VCU, Temple, etc. where they might let him play as an undersized stretch "4".

Gerry Butler 8 months, 1 week ago

my point exactly jack, hate to see him go, I think the guy has talent, but again it has a lot to do with the numbers game and unfortunately him getting hurt cost him, again he can go to a ALOT of schools and be very productive. really to bad but I truly think the guy is gone, could be wrong but just don't see him getting any or a lot of floor time, you could hear it in his voice yesterday

Tony Bandle 8 months, 1 week ago

1] If he redshirts, he stays at Kansas with Bill Self for an extra year.

2] If he transfers to a Division One school he sits a year.

3] If he transfers to a Division Two school he plays immediately but falls off the radar.

He may fall victim to the numbers game and end up doing something that won't be best for him...like options 2 or 3.

If that 5 star point guard wants to join Kansas, I am afraid AWIII is gone. We're packed at the wing...the point needs a body.

David Kemp 8 months, 1 week ago

Remember Travis Releford. Never seem to get the time,but his opportunity came and with superior strength and age working for him he thrived.

Steve Han 8 months, 1 week ago

What is Brannen Greene going around doing?? He got benched earlier in the year and now again? hope it's not anything too serious. Brannen Greene might be the one to transfer if he keeps this up.

Kevin Huffman 8 months, 1 week ago

I doubt that very much.

You saw Jamari responded.

SUPPOSEDLY, he (Brannen) was a smart kid coming out of high school.

HOPEFULLY, this was the wake-up call and he'll respond much like Jamari did.

Don't EVER forget - MOST of KU's players have had some suspended time.

I want to say that I remember Traylor, Ty. Taylor, Elijah, Tho. Robinson (I think 1 gm.) among many others being given a game in which they were benched.

More serious when you hear of a coach suspending a player for a week / multiple weeks or multiple games.

Greene's been given enough key minutes and high caliber, clutch times - such as the end of the KSU game where he pretty much helped gear the comeback to force overtime just 2 games ago, that theres' NO WAY I could imagine him transferring.

Pretty much I'm one who thinks Embiid is back and Selden stays (his Draft stock has plummeted and the draft the next season is shallower anyway). I'm thinking this is how the lineup shakes out for next season:

Tharpe / Mason Selden / Frankamp Oubre / Greene (competition before the season as to who starts but I bet both get plenty of mins. anway - neither should dominate the mins. at the "3" next season like Wiggins does nown) Ellis / Alexander / Traylor Embiid / Lucas / Mickelson

I don't see Self JUST playing 7 or 8 like he di back with the '11/'12 team. I could see Mickelson moreso getting spot mins., but then being more key in '15/'16 than next season.

The ones we SHOULD be losing off that team then would be Tharpe, Selden, Alexander & Embiid FOR SURE - POSSIBLY Oubre & Ellis (still could see him as a 4-years guy though)...and something tells me that if Selden couldn't really hack it as an OAD, that we'll probably see Oubre as a 2AD like Selden probably will be. Both ranked in simlar places in their respective H.S. Rankings coming out (early teens & 5 stars). And Oubre's already made it be known that while he COULD be OAD, he's not approaching it as though he couldn't possibly be at KU longer.

I have no idea why, but I've had this funny feeling that Brannen Greene's Jr. year's going to be an AMAZING one. Yes, let's let it play out - just a feeling I have.

Kevin Huffman 8 months, 1 week ago

I forgot. I DO believe that if White were to transfer we might yet still get J. Lyle.

Jonathan Allison 8 months, 1 week ago

while I understand that we will have more need for a point than a wing, I would MUCH rather have White than Lyle. White is the epitome of good sportsmanship. He is by all accounts one of, if not the hardest worker on the team. He frequently puts in after hours exercises. He never complains. Stays away from trouble. Is a good student. Is a student of the game. Has decent athleticism. Good size. Lyle is a big question mark.

Jonathan Allison 8 months, 1 week ago

I feel bad for White. There have been so many who have come to KU with high hopes only to be disappointed, but White is different.

We as a fan base have really embraced him. We've rooted for him. And he's been nothing if not full of class. Like I said above, he is the epitome of good sportsmanship. He is by all accounts one of, if not the hardest worker on the team. He frequently puts in after hours exercises. He never complains. Stays away from trouble. Is a good student. Is a student of the game. Has decent athleticism. Good size.

He showed flashes last year of greatness. White looked like a pure scorer from the outset, even in Europe before his freshman season. Big expectations were perfectly realistic coming into his Sophomore season. Self even proclaimed that White was the 6th man.

But we all could sniff trouble in the air. It is a headcount issue. Wiggins, Selden, Frankamp, Greene, Mason, Tharpe, Oubre, White. No team can survive with that kind of lineup in the backcourt. Something's got to give. Someone is going to be left out. Not just this year, not just next year. We are stacked and we are young and we are going to keep recruiting and we are going to stay stacked.

Then White struggled some early in the year. Soon he was injured, and benched. Now he seems destined to wilt away behind a whole troop of guards and scorers and shooters.

I know that most here predict he will transfer. And it's hard to argue that. He would have a much more stable and secure position elsewhere. And the words about Coach losing faith in him... they sting with a hint of bitter animosity. No it's not White's nature to complain, to accuse.

I don't know that White will leave. I am an optimist, sure. I have hope that White who is ever loyal, who is ever driven will stay. And not just that he will stay, but that he will come back. White will be the Phoenix. Up from the ashes he will rise again. Sometime, somehow he will get his shot and he will nail it. Be it due to injuries, foul trouble, a combination or both or something completely different. I think that Andrew White will soar.

Go Andrew! Go Jayhawks.