Saturday, February 15, 2014

Keegan

Column: Jamari Traylor learns from punishment

Backup forward scores career-high 10 points in return

Kansas forward Jamari Traylor rejects a shot from TCU guard Christian Gore during the second half on Saturday, Feb. 15, 2014 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self on Perry Ellis's career game vs. TCU

Kansas coach Bill Self talked about Perry Ellis's 32-point afternoon, as well as KU's improved defense in the second half and the fact that Joel Embiid will play on Tuesday at Texas Tech.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Perry Ellis, Wayne Selden and Andrew Wiggins on KU's blowout win over TCU

Perry Ellis, Wayne Selden and Andrew Wiggins discussed the Jayhawks' second-half recovery and Ellis's monster game following KU's home win over TCU.

Download podcast

KANSAS 95, TCU 65

Box score

Membership on a team, any team, is a privilege, not a right. Jamari Traylor, Kansas University’s third-year sophomore reserve forward, did something to have that privilege revoked for a game that his teammates lost without him.

Traylor got off to a lousy start Saturday in a 95-65 victory against TCU, his first game out of the penalty box. He said he and the guards didn’t communicate well on how to guard screens and that his coach, Bill Self, happened to notice.

“He let me know on the court and off the court,” Traylor said in a way that left little doubt as to the coach’s tone.

Traylor shook off the slow start and put together one of his better games in a Kansas uniform. Decidedly stronger and quicker than most of TCU’s inside players, Traylor used those advantages to score a career-high 10 points to go with eight rebounds and a blocked shot.

He worked like a man trying to get out of debt to those with whom he is close. There is a reason for that. He owed his teammates.

Traylor’s defense could have come in handy in a Monday’s overtime loss at Kansas State, which at times attacked the basket with an ease that rivaled a layup drill.

“I at least would have tried to foul somebody,” Traylor said of how he could have helped slow down the procession to the hoop.

The only replays in sports are those on TV. Kansas had its shot at Kansas State and didn’t get it done. Traylor is left to think about woulda, coulda, shoulda, never a pleasant place for the mind to drift.

“It was definitely a physical game with K-State, and I think if I was out there we would have had a better chance to win,” Traylor said. “I definitely let my team down and everybody down.”

Traylor said whatever it was he did to draw the one-game benching “is between me and coach.”

Traylor also said if he had been in charge of meting out the punishment, he would have reached a different decision.

“If it was up to me, I wouldn’t want to have to sit out,” Traylor said, before adding the obvious. “But it’s not up to me.”

Self met with Traylor in what amounted to a reinstatement hearing, similar to the one I had to steer through when I had received an excessive number of speeding tickets in a short period of time decades ago, when speed limits were unnaturally low, police officers unusually zealous and the entire world in general was 100 percent against me.

“We just came to a mutual understanding that I wasn’t going to get in the way of this team, I wasn’t going to harm this team,” Traylor said. “So I pretty much am not going to screw up anymore.”

Watching was the hardest part for Traylor.

“As a player, you see plays where you’re like ‘Oh, I could have got that,’ or stuff like that,” he said. “I know I could have helped the team. And it just hurt me knowing I let everybody down.”

Self said Traylor "obviously was disappointed that he didn’t play this past Monday. That’s over with. When something is taken away, I think guys probably appreciate it a little more when they get out there, especially that next time.”

College is all about learning, which includes tough lessons.

“Coach has always got my back and everything,” Traylor said. “I still feel like things didn’t go the best my way, but I understand why he was mad at me. At the end of the day, it’s a learning experience. I got better from it.”

Comments

Walter Bridges 8 months, 1 week ago

Not that it could ever be proven but I believe we would have beaten KSU had Traylor been able to play. Without knowing the actions that transpired to his one game suspension, Traylor wasn't the only one punished.

Clarence Haynes 8 months ago

Against K State, we were short of assets up front and that did us in. Jamari was probably the difference between winning and losing. For all that he has been through, I admire this young man and I hope that he uses good judgement in the future.

Brett McCabe 8 months, 1 week ago

Gosh, if it weren't for LJW's avatar policy, we'd know what Brannen did.

By the way Jamari, don't act surprised. I'm guessing that the rules and expectations are pretty clear. You are one of my all-time favorite Jayhawks but you aren't special.

tommy glenn 8 months, 1 week ago

I hear Brannen's infraction had something to do with behavior at Wilt movie, pretty good source too, but I really believe coach is being extra tuff for a reason,I think he is trying to speed up maturity of this team. I think any where else these infractions would have been dealt with verbally

Dirk Medema 8 months, 1 week ago

Coach's comment (reported during the game?) led me to believe that Brannen had been working his way toward the punishment for a while, and that something recent (the Wilt movie?) was just the tipping point. Wanted to nip it in the bud before it became a larger problem down the road.

Probably doubly good timing prior to TCU and right after Jamari's. The whole team may have suffered some consequences for Jamari's in particular, but you can bet that they all learned, and especially with the reinforcement from Brannen's.

Mark Lindrud 8 months, 1 week ago

It's none of my business what he did. He knows he did wrong and he learned. Time to move forward and get better as men, which should in turn make us a better team.

Jeff Schartz 8 months, 1 week ago

Keegan can't write a story without drubbing us in theface with meaningless dribble of his personal experiences. Stay on target, and quit thinking that we care about your past. Here's a story about the University of Kansas Men's Basketball disciplinary details, and we get humdrum sidebars about TK's lead foot. Who cares?

Jeff Schartz 8 months, 1 week ago

Scut,

(If that's your real name...lol). You're not the boss of me. Last time I checked, I answer to God, my country, and myself, in that order. So, it's my right to complain. I would like to see Keegan's columns go away, so I could read about the Jayhawks without self-glorifying fluff. Too much to ask? I think not.

Jack Jones 8 months, 1 week ago

"Your not the boss of me" ~ last time I heard that phrase, my son was 5 years old. "I answer to God, ...........etc, etc" Another totally meaningless phrase in this context ~ except to you only. Certainly, it is your right to complain ~ just as it is our right to point out to you the absurdity of your complaint in this instance. And, Scut's right ~ just as with all things in life ~ if you don't like Keegan's columns ~ DON'T READ THEM!! As for his columns going away ~ THANK GOD, YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS!! Grow up, Mr. Schartz.

Ian Legler 8 months ago

We just think that you come off as pompous, and annoying. That's all. We get that you don't like Tom's writing. Here's the thing, we don't need you reminding us on every one of his articles.

Titus Canby 8 months, 1 week ago

I believe TK makes a good point about how at that age, we all feel like the world is against us. Great to see that Jamari took his punishment like a man and is changing whatever behavior got him in trouble. That's a sign of maturity.

David Gisi 8 months, 1 week ago

It's a column. That's what column writers do. They interject personal experience into the story to illustrate a point.

Dirk Medema 8 months, 1 week ago

"when speed limits were unnaturally low, police officers unusually zealous and the entire world in general was 100 percent against me."

I thought it was the best/funniest part of the whole article; maybe one of TK's best ever. Maybe it was just the echo in my head.

Rodney Crain 8 months ago

Jeff I think your avatar says everything we need to know about you. I am going to go out on a limb and say a Team of Doctors is needed..., maybe an entire hospital wing of them... TK's columns are to be outside the lines perspectives, that include his opinions. Relevant to the team, but to give us a different take on topics within the team. Matt and Benton are the meat and potatoes, TK is the dessert if that helps. I don't think it will, but had to try.

Tony Bandle 8 months, 1 week ago

I don't remember a season with so many guys "sitting down".for whatever reasons...AWIII, Conner, Tarik, Jo Jo, Brannen, Hunter, Speaks volumes to our team depth.

Kevin Huffman 8 months ago

That brings up a good point. Who are the ONLY players to not have missed time EITHER due to inj., discipline, or some NCAA ruling (i.e., Tharpe's summer gm)?

Among the usual 5 starters I THINK none of Ellis, Wiggins or Selden's had to sit.

Among the reserves I THINK ONLY Mason & Lucas have gone unscathed. Am I right?

Jonathan Allison 8 months ago

Not so sure that you can count Lucas as he has recorded 9 DNPs including 5 straight to start the Big 12 season. We assume that he was available, yet he did sit out.