Sunday, February 9, 2014

’Cats fondly recall ’08 win over KU

Kansas State forward Michael Beasley pounds his chest as he stands on the scorers table following the Wildcats' 84-75 win over Kansas Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2008 at Bramlage Colliseum.

photo

— Kansas State freshman basketball standout Marcus Foster has studied the picture of Michael Beasley dancing on the Bramlage Coliseum scorer’s table after the Wildcats’ 2008 home victory over rival Kansas University.

“Me and Wes (Iwundu, freshman teammate) maybe have been talking about it, where we want one of those moments,” Foster said after scoring a career-high 34 points in the Wildcats’ 74-57 victory over Texas on Saturday in Bramlage — the place Miami Heat forward Beasley called home for one college season.

“Shane (Southwell, senior) was talking in the locker room how they beat KU (in 2011), and they rushed the court, and they got to stand on the scorer’s table, and it was just an amazing moment,” Foster added.

Wild celebrations have ensued the two times in the last 25 years the Wildcats have been able to defeat the Jayhawks in the Little Apple.

KU — which enters today’s 8 p.m. Sunflower Showdown with an 18-5 record (9-1 in league) compared to KSU’s 16-7, 6-4 mark — has won six in a row, 13 of the last 14 and 48 of the last 51 meetings against KSU, dating to the 1994 season.

“If our guys think the past score has something to do with the game, we’ll get beat. We will,” KU coach Bill Self said. His Jayhawks dumped KSU, 86-60, on Jan. 11 in Allen Fieldhouse. He is 22-3 vs. KSU in his 11 years at KU, while Bruce Weber is 0-4 against KU in his two seasons in Manhattan.

“I don’t think anything that’s happened in the past has much to do with anything,” Self added.

Still, there are a lot of interesting tidbits regarding past performance entering this game.

KSU, for instance, is 13-1 in Big 12 play (29-2 overall) in Bramlage under Weber. The Wildcats’ only league home loss was last year’s 59-55 decision to the Jayhawks.

Also, the Wildcats have won eight of their last 11 games against ranked teams at home, including Texas (No. 15), Oklahoma State (6) and Oklahoma (25) this season.

Overall, KSU has won 12 in a row at Bramlage since a 60-58 setback to Northern Colorado on Nov. 8.

“I just think we’ve got a lot of youth. They kind of live off of this crowd, and they play well here,” Weber said. “I said we needed some ‘Bramlage magic’ this weekend, and I hope it’s there Monday night.”

Self was asked if he enjoys trips to Bramlage more now that KU’s other natural rival, Missouri, is in the SEC.

“I’ve always looked forward to playing in Manhattan regardless,” Self said. “It adds to the rivalry a little bit with Missouri not being in the league because it (KU-KSU) is really the only main one (rivalry) left from an historic standpoint. I enjoy going there, and I think our players enjoy playing there because it’s always a good atmosphere.”

Third-year KU sophomore Jamari Traylor is 2-0 in Bramlage.

“We’ve got to do the same thing we did (in this year’s win in Lawrence): get them off the boards, compete on defense and eliminate distractions, because they are going to have the crowd rocking. I know because it’s always loud in there every time I’ve been there,” Traylor said. “If we do that, I think we can win the game.”

KU outrebounded KSU, 33-25, in the Jan. 11 meeting and held the Wildcats to 44 percent shooting — one of 11 from three.

Foster scored just seven points off 3-of-12 shooting.

“What bothered me was the scouted defense. I have never faced a scouted defense, so they scouted me very well,” said Foster, 6-foot-2 from Wichita Falls, Texas, who averages 14.7 points a game. “They knew every move I was going to do. I also over-pressured myself about it. I forced the issue too much and was playing too selfish. I have to stay relaxed and keep playing how I play.”

The game in Lawrence was intense, in which KU freshman center Joel Embiid was ejected in the second half for elbowing KSU’s Nino Williams. Embiid had 11 points and nine boards before getting the boot.

“I mean, I don’t really care. I’m just going to play basketball and try to get the win,” Embiid said, when asked if he expects booing from the fans tonight. “It will be fun. We’re going to go there and try to get the win.”

“That was a long time ago. Joel has gotten a lot smarter,” Traylor said. “People try to bait him into things sometimes. He’s more mature. I don’t think an elbow or anything like that will happen.”

But what about the fans?

“They will definitely do that,” Traylor said of booing and yelling insults at the 7-footer. “He should be able to handle it.”

Of course, Embiid won’t be the only object of the loud student section at Bramlage.

“I think they’ll be pretty tough on all of us,” said KU freshman guard Frank Mason.

Bumps, bruises: Embiid, who tweaked his back late in Saturday’s home win over West Virginia, is expected to play tonight. “(He’s) sore, but he practiced,” Self reported Sunday night.

Looking for W: Second-year KSU coach Weber has a victory over every team in the league except KU. “Oh really?” Weber said when informed of that stat. “I thought last year we got tight here (in four-point loss), and then we went there, and we were all right for a while, and then they got going like they do with a lot of people (83-62). We probably just didn’t have the bodies at Kansas City last year in the tournament (70-54 in Big 12 final). You get that third game, it’s a knock-down, drag-out thing, and we just couldn’t score enough points.”

What’s at stake? KU (9-1) has a two-game lead in the league standings over Texas (7-3), while Oklahoma is 7-4 and K-State and Iowa State are 6-4.

“They’re a top-rated team. They’re first in the league,” Weber said “It’s important. One, we’re still fighting to get in the NCAA. What do we have, five top-50 wins? So we’ve done pretty well. We’ve still got several left that we’re going to have challenges with, and they’re one of them.”

Self stated: “We are in a favorable position with a two-game lead. We go to Manhattan Monday. If we don’t play well, you’ve got a one-game lead. Anything can happen. I’m happy where we are at but not satisfied.”

Weber on KU’s style of play: “I compare it to the Packers’ old sweep. You knew it was coming. Can you stop it? You know what they’re going to do. Do we have the energy, the bodies, the excitement to stop it and we’ll see Monday night.

“They just punked us inside, and then they started making shots (in Lawrence). They kind of did what we did to Texas, they did it to us at home. They got going. I don’t think they’re as good defensively as they were a year ago, but they’re still so long and big.”

Recruiting: Daniel Giddens, a 6-10 junior center from Wheeler High in Marietta, Ga., has narrowed his list of prospective colleges to KU, Arizona, Florida, Indiana, Georgia and Ohio State.

“Whenever a blue blood like Kansas offers, you have to listen,” Giddens, the No. 18-ranked player in the Class of 2015, told Rivals.com. “The tradition there is so rich and the coaching staff there knows how to get you ready for the next level.”

This, that: Embiid needs two blocks to tie Eric Chenowith for most blocks as a Jayhawk freshman. ... KU has won its last 11 games on ESPN Big Monday dating to the 2010-11 season when it lost at Kansas State, 84-68, on Valentine’s Day. KU is 51-16 all-time on Big Monday, including 32-8 under Self. ... KU will play host to TCU at 3 p.m., Saturday.

Wayne Selden on tonight: “I feel we go in expecting the worst, expecting a hostile environment, expecting not to get any calls, expecting it not to go our way but battling through it.”

Comments

Scott MacWilliams 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Time for the annual trip to the Octagon of Goons!! Don't worry, the Mildcats will be scratching all the way, but the 'Hawks will prevail something like 68-65... Just use the 'strike first' technique and then keep the old claws around the throat all the way!!

Here's hoping that Jojo gets to rest up a bit from that back tweak. Every time I see someone hold their back like that, I get sympathetic twangs. Hope the staff will have him do some extra work to help strengthen those core muscles that keep him strong and flexible for a long time. Back spasms are the absolute worst.

Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!

Craig Carr 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Game will be over by the 25 minute mark. octagon of gloom! I prefer Allen Fieldhouse west

Chris Shaw 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Gary or LJW staff...what is the Freshman record by Chenowith? How many total blocks?

Craig Hagelgantz 6 months, 3 weeks ago

K-state has a long way to go to be the rival MU was. Want proof? I was glad K-state beat Texas to help us out. I have never appreciated a MU win. Never.

Glen Miller 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I concur on this topic. I really think Self downplays the MU rivalry because he's still stewing about them leaving. Anyone who is a true Jayhawk fan knows that Kansas State vs. KU is not even close to what Missouri vs. KU was. I cannot and will not EVER cheer for Missouri to win. I'd rather have open heart surgery while completely awake and with no pain killers. That's how much I despise Mizzery!!

Brian Mellor 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I have immense conflicts when they play Calipari's team. That's about it, though.

Jack Wilson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Have yet to hear any outrage, other than a comment by Jason King last night, regarding Marcus Smart lying about West Texas Weatherwax using the N-word.

There is audio, and there is no N-word -- it's exactly as the fan said, he called him a "piece of crap." And Texas Tech interviewed all fans, cameramen, etc. in the area and none heard any racial statements.

Surely, if Smart wanted to rely on that item, or if it were true, he would have brought it up at his press conference yesterday. But of course he didn't.

All of the speculation about a racial component simply furthers our divisions. That's the first thing many look for. It fits the narrative that some want to paint -- like many wanted to paint TT fans as a bunch of racist hicks after Saturday night. It's really pathetic.

How many times do folks in Smart's position simply lie and claim a racial comment to cover their own idiocy? It's the "go to" excuse for a poor reaction.

That all being said, I personally think that West Texas Weatherwax is more culpable in this whole deal. What adult calls a college athlete a piece of crap? I have a little more understanding of an immature student doing that, but a 50+ year old adult? His self imposed season suspension is about right, though having to actually watch TT basketball might have been more of a punishment -- thoughTubby Smith seems to have got that program pointed the right way. As I mentioned yesterday, civility has been lost with far too many people.

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

There is alot that is bothersome about the whole Smart saga. I'm anoyed by the OSU press conference that included Ford, who through Smart under the bus and accepted no accountabilty on his part...not one mention.

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Lance Cheney 6 months, 3 weeks ago

How is Ford going to take any accountability on that? It was 100% Smart's responsibility. When teams lose games, coaches take the blame; when a player does something stupid like that, the blame is and should be on them. What is Ford supposed to say? "That's my fault, I shouldn't have had Marcus in there at the end of a close game when we were trying to win it."

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Ford is responsibilty for the actions of his team.

If Ford doesn't know what that means that is to his failure as a leader.

Ron Prichard 6 months, 3 weeks ago

HEM, There are many things that bother me about the entire fiasco. First, I don't think for a second that the only thing that was said was, "piece of crap." Maybe that was said, but I can't imagine that was the only thing said. If you watch Smart, he is basically getting up and then when he hears something he spins around and completely loses any self-control. If "piece of crap" caused that reaction I would be surprised. If it did, Smart has really fallen from the competitor he was at the beginning of the year. He had to hear that and more when he was in AFH earlier this year, especially after last year's back flip.

Second, where were the officials? Normally when a kid goes into the crowd, they come flying over with their hair on fire. For at least 5-6 seconds, they are no where to be found. I'm not saying they are responsible for what happened, but they possibly could have prevented it if they had been more alert. I am guessing that was brought to their attention by the Big XII behind closed doors.

Third, no way was West Texas Weatherwax's season long suspension "self imposed" like he would like us to believe. A guy that is that big of a fanatic and has the history that he has did not impose his own sanction that was gladly accepted by the school. I would be willing to bet almost everything I own TTech told him he was out for the remainder of the year.

Ron Prichard 6 months, 3 weeks ago

(continued...)

With all my reservations and doubts about this whole thing, I do agree that all of the speculation by the media and on social media helps absolutely no one. Everyone, even Jay Bilas, rushed to throw in their two cents on this. ESPN covered it like it was an assassination attempt on the President.

The most disappointing thing for me is that West Texas Weatherwax's actions are largely accepted by us as fans. Now that it is thrust into the forefront we are all "appaled" by his behavior, but even if he yelled the "N" word it is not something that we don't frequently hear at sporting events. I'm afraid to take either of my kids to a Chiefs game just for this reason. The anger and hate you hear from people is ridiculous. The same can go for most college campuses. When Marshall Henderson at Ole Miss flipped off the crowd at Auburn last year and several students flipped him back, people weren't upset. The media, and most of us, laughed it off and just said, "well, that's just him." There are a thousand more examples of behavior that would appall just about anyone in any other surrounding, but at a sporting event it is tolerated, and sometimes even applauded.

The thing we have to remember, especially with college games, is that the players, while considered adults, are truly just college kids, and their thought process is no different than yours or mine was when we were in college. The other thing we have to remember is that it is just a game. As much as we invest our own time, passion, enjoyment and identity into our sports teams, when it all boils down, they are playing a game for our enjoyment.

We can fervently support our team, and we can boo as loud as we want, but we should still treat the individual players with respect, no matter who they play for. Except MU, of course. ;-)

Jack Wilson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Rap .. as jaybate used to say here, PHOF! Great take.

Chris Shaw 6 months, 3 weeks ago

That Go Pro Video is awful. I don't put any validity into that video. With that said, nobody could find any evidence that Jeff Orr used a racial Slur. He's innocent until proven guilty and right now he's innocent of any racial comments. He's an idiot in my book though regardless.

As far as Smart...he's had a bad two weeks. I never saw anything where Smart claimed Orr said the N-word. I saw that he said he made a derogatory comment, but I never saw claims that Smart said Orr said the N-word.

Now, there were media outlets immediately claiming that, but I never saw that Smart made that claim unless there is something out there I haven't seen or read.

Lance Cheney 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I think in the original ESPN article (if I'm remembering right), it said OSU officials confirmed that he used a racial slur.

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

ESPN's Andy Katz and others have reported that Smart told radio reporter(s) that Orr had used a racial slur. So far, nothing (other fans in the area or recordings) support that claim. Smart should provide an explanation of that charge or it will remain a stain on his character like his flop act is on his play.

Rodney Crain 6 months, 3 weeks ago

HEM you think it is OK to call him a derogatory name, that you and others think is funny? How can you complain about a loss of civility and turn around and be a part of doing it yourself?

Pay Heed to your own advice, you are smarter than this, you can make your points without having to resort to Mr. Orr's level.

They got the punishment right for both parties. There is no conspiracy here to chase.

Tony Bandle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

OAKVILLE ODDITIES:

1] A record of losses 48 out of 51??!!......General George Armstrong Custer did better than that!

2] The Square With The Corners Cut Off Of Dumb will present a challenge to this young KU team....not to fall off the bench laughing at the goofballs that inhabit this monstrosity.

3] Marcus Smart's favorite NBA player is Ron Artest!

4] If I recall, the bastards that burnt down Lawrence came from the East, not the West. KSU as Main Rivals, yes....as big a rival as Missouri??...no friggin' way....not now, not ever!! Hell, I even cheered for UK when they played Misery!!

5] If Bill loses to Brucie Boy, I am afraid his head will explode. Kind of hard to be dispassionate about a guy who held a funeral to bury your memory!!

6] Three keys for victory: pound it into the middle, Wiggins to keep being aggressive on offense, guard the perimeter shooting.

7] Selden's comments should be the mantra for EVERY away game.

8] I KNOW IT"S EARLY WITH LOTS OF GAMES LEFT, however, those early road wins at Iowa State and Oklahoma may have sown the seeds to lock up this tenth conference title!

9] Favorite Olympic Moment....seeing that Slopeski champion, Sage, talk about his run...he reminded me of Spicoli from Fast Times At Ridgemont High...only more stoned!!! :)

Ron Prichard 6 months, 3 weeks ago

4] MU v. UK? I rooted for the roof to fall in.

Ron Prichard 6 months, 3 weeks ago

***please note that based on my holier than thou and Jaybate-esque lengthy post above, this is in jest and typed with a sarcasm font. I can't hate the players based on where they go. I just hate that where they go has corrupted them into forever being an MU Tiger or UK Wildcat.

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I root for uky to win, then later to have their win vacated due to NCAA violations.

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

1) Custer lost the one that matter most. There are some, including a bunch of Kiowa and Comanche who were forced to give up more than 60,000 square miles indians with the Medicine Lodge Treaty, who wish his lone defeat would have happened July 3, 1863 in that small PA cross road town called Gettysburg.

4) I loved hating those Missourians. That series was always incredibly intense with so much history. I miss it but agree with Self not to play them. I doubt if I will ever get over them leaving the conference like that.

8) a win tonight vs KSU effectively wraps number 10.

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 3 weeks ago

even with a win tonight, having Texas on the schedule means they could make it a 1 game lead in the standings and we have to play OU as well as road games against OSU and WVU who all have played us to very close games already. I know that a share of the conference title is good enough to claim #10, but sharing the title with UT if they give us a two game sweep would not be a very sweet way to win #10.

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I view a tie like in the Ryder Cup. Since we are the title holderr, we retain the cup with a tie. All that matters is keeping the cup so ties don't set me back much.

UT still must play at Kansas, ISU, OU and TTU so they will not run any tables. ISU still has to play at KSU, TTU and BU, so they look to have atleast 5 losses.

If we win tonight, I seriously doubt a Bill Self coached team will finish 3-4 in the stretch run prepping for the Tournament.

If we win tonight, it would then be an appropriate time for the LJW to have their speculative chit chat.

Joe Joseph 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Only way KSU pulls this one off is if Foster gets loose like he did against Texas. I don't see that happening as long as Selden and Wiggins stay out of foul trouble. K-State just does not have the talent inside to compete with Kansas.

Bruce Beckum 6 months, 3 weeks ago

They (KSU fans) rush the court after a home conference win...classic!

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 3 weeks ago

yeah, they should only rush the court after road wins and tournament games...

Reggie Flenory 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Why is k tate holding on to a win 6 yrs ago lmao!!!!!! So lame arent we winnimg this series by like 30 game or somethin

Craig Hagelgantz 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I would take a loss from K-State if the result of the season were the same as in '08! All of us would, right?

Caleb Longbine 6 months, 3 weeks ago

lol that is a true story. thats why i have absolutely no respect for ksu. they try to take any minor bit of success and compare it to our 5 nat titles 56 conf titles and 14 final fours. when it comes to basketball the wildcat is our tamed circus pet. lol.