Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Keegan

Column: Wiggins, Jayhawks not likely to repeat UT dud

— The poor Baylor Bears. They have caught the Kansas University basketball team at the absolute worst time.

Coming off a road loss to Texas and sick and tired of hearing about the shellacking they took in Waco last March, the Jayhawks shouldn’t have any trouble summoning the energy necessary to play at their best and shift into blowout mode.

The circumstances dictate the same KU team that was not ready to play at 3 p.m. Saturday vs. Texas will come with its best shot today at 6 p.m.

Baylor is coming off an impressive victory in Stillwater, Okla., 76-70, against an Oklahoma State team getting subpar performances from Marcus Smart of late. That came at the right time for Kansas as well, making it easy for the Jayhawks to convince themselves the Bears’ 2-6 record in Big 12 play is irrelevant.

Andrew Wiggins won’t shoot 2-for-12 as he did against Texas because he won’t settle for jumpers as he did in Austin.

“He usually does,” Self said of Wiggins bouncing back from a seven-point game. “He’s had other rough games. I expect him to respond in a favorable way. Young kids, especially freshmen ... I don’t know of very many who don’t have off days now and then. He was coming off a two-game stint in which he was superb.”

When his shot’s not falling, Wiggins can find easier points crashing the offensive boards. As quick and long as he is, he can find even more easy points via that path.

“Defensive schemes can make you have off days too,” Self said. “He’ll bounce back. All good players do, and he’s certainly a good player.”

Wiggins leads Kansas in scoring (16.0 points a game), ranks second in free-throw percentage (.782) and third in rebounding (6.0 a game) and three-point shooting (.375).

“I’m concerned about our team,” Self said. “I’m not concerned about individuals bouncing back. They are good players. You don’t go from being a good player to not a good player because you don’t make baskets.”

Comments

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Anybody else notice the difference with Self when comparing his temperment after he first loss last year to this year? He seems more Phil Jacksonish in the zen mode.

Jason Keller 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Yep. As good as Bill is, he's still learning. We all are. It seems like normally he would blast them a little bit in the media to let them know he isn't happy but this time around he is kind of building them up, letting them know that games like UT are going to happen.

Kit Duncan 6 months, 3 weeks ago

If they weren't mainly freshmen and sophomores he probably would be harder on the team after a loss. These are younger kids with likely more fragile egos.

Rodney Crain 6 months, 3 weeks ago

He can't act the same way. Last year was a Veteran team vs. a young team this year. Different reactions for different desired results are needed. I believe I actually saw him rub his eyes and look skyward a few times during that last game, with a give me strength look. I am sure this team has tested him just as much as during that conference losing streak did last year, but for different reasons.

Dale Kroening 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Wild game in Stillwater last night. Marcus Smart is the KING of floppers ....

Robert Brock 6 months, 3 weeks ago

He's a good actor. Reminds me of Cate Blanchett.

John Randall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't think he's reached his peak – needs another year to work on his flop-fake moves.

Rodney Crain 6 months, 3 weeks ago

All Smart is doing is flopping and hitting free throws. In lasts night game he was terrible and his flopping was getting most of the talk from the announcers. Maybe he is trying to get out of the lottery so he can catch on with a decent NBA team farther down the draft. What a bust this year.

Tony Bandle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Am I the only guy who'se scared to death about the game tonight? [Oh wait...I'm sure that stupidmichael is right there with me! ].

I'm just not sure these Baby Jays have recovered mentally from the embarassing beat down they received in Austin. Remember the game in Lawence, we almost let these guys back into it and with the confidence of beating OSU in Stillwater, which is becoming a common thing this season, they may be sky high.

Best line from the ISU/OSO game last night...regarding a wild shot by Marcus Smart.."sometimes a person's name doesn't totally describe that person's decison making process" LOL!!! I think it was Franny Boy's quote.

DaNeille Davis 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Yeah, yeah, yeah...this is what they kept saying last year after a loss, then came another, and another, and yet another. Let's hope these youngsters know how to bounce back and not lose confidence. However, I have noticed a little pattern with Wiggins and Ellis...if they miss their first couple of shots, they lose their confidence and start panicking and rushing shots. During the UT game, they were all hanging their heads, even Embiid. No energy, no encouraging each other, no talking to each other, no contact, no nothing. I wish BS would have let Tharpe in the game towards the end to pull them together and encourage them. They had nothing. If they don't talk to each other during this game...we're gonna lose....

DaNeille Davis 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Quote from Seth Davis: "Anyone can have energy while playing in front of a raucous home crowd against a ranked opponent. It takes a talented player to go all-out in a road game being played in a half-empty arena. Tell me before a game which team is going to play with more energy, and I don't have to ask which one has better runners and jumpers. Chances are, the team with more energy is going to win." Let's see how our team comes out....energy or flat like all of our previous losses.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140203/hoop-thoughts-talent/#ixzz2sODGAztx