Saturday, February 1, 2014

Demarcus Holland, Longhorns stymie Andrew Wiggins

Kansas guard Andrew Wiggins reacts after being called for his fifth foul during the second half on Saturday, Feb. 1, 2014 at Erwin Center in Austin, Texas.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self says Texas the hungrier team won at Texas

Bill Self says Texas the hungrier team won at Texas

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Perry Ellis and Wayne Selden discuss 81-69 loss to Texas

Perry Ellis and Wayne Selden discuss 81-69 loss to Texas

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Texas coach Rick Barnes blasts the "Overrated!" chant.

Texas coach Rick Barnes blasts the "Overrated!" chant.

Download podcast

TEXAS 81, KANSAS 69

Box score

— The most misleading number on the box score of Saturday’s 81-69 Texas victory against Kansas University revealed the point total for Longhorns guard Demarcus Holland, a 6-foot-2 sophomore.

He scored four points. More telling numbers as to his value: He had 11 rebounds, three assists and two steals. The man he guarded, KU’s leading scorer, Andrew Wiggins, scored seven points on 2-for-12 shooting.

“I knew my teammates would have my back,” Holland said of checking Wiggins. “I knew he would try to be aggressive and try to put fouls on me to get me out of the game. I knew he likes to crash the boards, so I tried to box him out every opportunity I got.”

And he knew the six inches he gave up to Wiggins weren’t that relevant.

“Cam Ridley and Prince Ebeh were scaring him so he started settling for jump shots,” Holland said of teammates who had four blocked shots apiece among the Longhorns’ dozen blocks.

Holland paid Wiggins a compliment, calling him, “a very good player. He’s expected to be a lottery pick. He’s really skilled. He’s a winner, so I respect him.”

Texas coach Rick Barnes’ face lit up every time someone asked him about Holland’s performance.

“He was outstanding,” Barnes said. “All year long, I’m not sure people appreciate what he’s done. I’m telling you, his teammates and our staff appreciate him. He does it every day. That’s how he practices every day. Him coming up with offensive rebounds, getting those extra possessions at the times he did, that was great.”

Texas held Kansas to 23 first-half points and Holland had as big a hand in that as anybody. He plays a role similar to that played for KU by Travis Releford in his final two seasons.

“I always like to be involved in the impact plays that are not in the box scores all the time,” Holland said. “On good teams, you always have to have that guy who is always in the right spot, always trying to get an offensive rebound and trying to box out a key player, trying to contain a good player on another team. I think that’s what I do every game.”

He did it to near-perfection in helping his team to knock off the perennial Big 12 champion.

Comments

John Randall 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Next time we play Texas, Wiggins will wear #22 and a poker face.

Speculating about what else he'll do will be rampant on all fronts.

Since you ask, I think he'll demonstrate that learning experiences come in more than one flavor.

Titus Canby 2 months, 2 weeks ago

“Cam Ridley and Prince Ebeh were scaring him so he started settling for jump shots."

Bulletin board material. What do you think Wiggins will do next time we play Texas?

Scut Farkus 2 months, 2 weeks ago

A tough game, on the road. Did anyone seriously think KU was going to waltz through the Big 12, the toughest conference in the country, undefeated? Learn from the mistakes and move on.

Robert Brock 2 months, 2 weeks ago

None of this would have happened had Perry Ellis shown up.

Bryce Landon 2 months, 2 weeks ago

That is a very bad sign when your most talented player is playing scared. That's a mental thing.

Suzi Marshall 2 months, 2 weeks ago

After UF/SDSU/UT it's clear what the Kansas weakness: big, athletic, aggressive teams.
All season long many of us have been citing how soft a team we have.

Soft Defense - Our guards need to think about taking some pride in playing defense. Today, they made Isiah Traylor, ranked over 300 in recruiting, look like a sure lottery pick. Selden played his heart out on O but is as clueless on D as Tharpe and Ellis.

Soft Finishing at the Rim – all season the guys have shown a lack of toughness at the rim by demonstrating various forms of finger rolls. We do pretty well against undersized teams but when going against athletic size, you get ….. 12 blocked shots! I cannot wait until Alexander get to Lawrence. If Ellis doesn’t learn some D and aggressiveness, he is going to find a lot of bench time next year.

Soft going for 50/50 balls – the play that best symbol. I bet there were 20 of them today and Kansas got 3, at most.

Soft communicators – How about an occasional “I got it shout.” When Lucas and Black lost a rebound out of bounds, with nobody else around, there was no communication at all.

Soft on Rebounding, i.e. boxing out – Holland got 11 boards! He went around Tharpe like some kind of “statue of liberty” play had been called.

We have been able to run spectacular O against undersized teams but when challenged this team cowers. We are living on borrowed time unless some defensive ability is found in a hurry.

DaNeille Davis 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Wiggins and Embiid are in no way ready for the big boys of the NBA. They need to continue to develop their game in college. Riding the pine in the NBA will do nothing to improve their game.

Chuck Stones 2 months, 2 weeks ago

BINGO - not just Wiggins, the whole team, except maybe Selden.