Monday, December 15, 2014

Juco RB Kinner picks Kansas

Kansas University football recruiting.

Kansas University football recruiting.

Kansas University football program picked up yet another commitment from the Class of 2015 this afternoon.

And, like many of the other players who committed to David Beaty during the weekend, this one is from the offensive side of the ball, as well.

Navarro Junior College running back Ke'aun Kinner, who is expected to sign Wednesday on the mid-year transfer signing day, told Jon Kirby of JayhawkSlant.com on Monday that he had committed to Kansas.

The 5-foot-9, 185-pound back who got involved with the Jayhawks late is expected to sign without making an official visit to campus. He recently had conversations with Beaty and running backs coach Reggie Mitchell, who sold him on joining the Jayhawks.

"The coaches told me they liked my film," Kinner told Kirby. "They like my speed but said I run angry and nasty. They said they like how I run with power."

The addition of Kinner, who is expected to enroll at KU in time for the spring semester, addresses questions about KU's depth at the running back position. Senior-to-be De'Andre Mann and sophomore-to-be Corey Avery both are returning for their second seasons as Jayhawks, but there's very little behind either of those guys.

Many have wondered about the status of Brandon Bourbon and Taylor Cox, veteran running backs who both missed their senior seasons in 2014 because of injuries, but there has been no news regarding either player's return and it seems as if the odds may be long that either will be back in crimson and blue next season.

Kinner is another Texas prospect, who was named to the first-team all-state 4A squad during his senior season at Little Elm High. He becomes the 19th player in the Class of 2015 to orally commit to Kansas and the seventh since Saturday night.

More from the recruiting trail...

• KU adds 5 players during busy weekend

• Texas WR becomes 6th commitment in 3 days

• Quick look at KU's Class of 2015 recruiting haul thus far

Comments

Michael Maris 4 years, 11 months ago

Another example of what the people in DeKalb, Illinois are beginning to dream about.

Jim Jackson 4 years, 11 months ago

Would much rather have BYU and Tulane; 2 academically reputable schools. This is going to sound condescending, but NIU does not belong in the same conference as us. I've lived in Chicago most my life, we can do better.

Michael Maris 4 years, 11 months ago

With all due respect Jim, I believe that BYU's really holding out for a PAC invite. When and if, the PAC ever decides to expand, I believe that BYU will be on the PAC's Hierarchy radar screen. Tulane, I have no problem with. But, I would think (at some point and time) that West Virginia would have to say ''Ok. So, Cincinnati was there for the taking and would've made a close Big XII Rival for us. Yet, you chose to invite Tulane instead. Why not just invite Memphis as well.''

I can guarantee, it isn't about the AAU status any more. It's about how many TV Set's can be added to the Conference TV Contract Portfolio. And, NIU has a LOT more TV set opportunities than Tulane could ever think about. In fact, U. of Cincinnati has more TV Set opportunities than New Orleans does.

And, NIU's not building / improving that stadium to have even MORE empty seats on Tuesday and Wednesday Night ESPN Televised Conference games.

Mark Bowers 4 years, 11 months ago

Interesting article, but it's coming from a NIU pro writer and paper. Honestly I have no idea why we didn't go after Louisville, but that ship has sailed. I've felt for a very long time that Cinci would be a great add, HUGE university with a ton of alum. I went to Ohio Uni and the MAC is good and fine, but NIU isn't a sexy enough pick for the Big 12. The Big 12 needs to get 2 teams, one should definitely be Cinci and the other I'm not sure. BYU would be amazing, but I also think that the Big 12 should go after schools in the other top 4 conferences like every other conference has. The Big 12 hasn't taken a school from a major conference that I'm aware of, but I've been wrong plenty before?

Kent Gaylor 4 years, 11 months ago

Matt -

Two questions. Will any of these guys be coming in January? If so, do we have any slots left in 2014 class that they could be counted against so that we could effectively get more than 25 this year?

Matt Tait 4 years, 11 months ago

I'm pretty sure Kinner is planning on it, as is CB Michael Mathis. Both of those guys are juco guys. As for the high school guys, there's an offensive lineman who's supposed to announce his choice tomorrow — Tyler Moore from Galena Park, Texas — who I believe is graduating early.

As for the question about counting guys back, I think it's actually the other way around this year. I think Nigel King was counted forward so this class will be one shy of what it normally could take. Not 100 percent sure on that, but I think that's the deal. Worth it, though, given King's talent.

Bobby Oviemena Birhiray 4 years, 11 months ago

Galena is suburbs of HOuston, just say Houston or Houston Area

Dyrk Dugan 4 years, 11 months ago

another good get....welcome Ke'aun!

does this mean though that Trae Wrench is completely out of the picture? He was at Butler CC and had a phenomenal yards per carry season....although he barely carried the ball at all.....two carries a game at the most?

i would say we could still use him..but two RBs already in the class? space is quite limited. :)

Michael Maris 4 years, 11 months ago

I believe that Traevohn Wrench has to stay at the Juco level for 2 seasons. Had he qualified academically, but decided to go the Juco route (instead) to get more playing time to improve his D1 status. Then, he could've initiated the contact to Kansas to sign all of the Financial Aid documents and enroll in January (as long as his grades at BuCoJuCo were in good standing). I believe that Fish Smithson may be one of the candidates that took that route (I could be wrong). T. Wrench could choose to red-shirt a season (to have 3 years of playing time left at a D1 School) and still practice and advance his academics as well.

Andy Tweedy 4 years, 11 months ago

I will never again believe the phrase "expected to enroll at KU in time for the spring semester!" Count me 100% jaded when it comes to JUCO recruits. In fact, I'm only about 50% sure a guy will ever even suit up for KU when I see JUCO in his bio. Thanks, Charlie!!!

Jim Stauffer 4 years, 11 months ago

O.K. D.J. Williams, Latrion Jones, Daniel Wise, Tyler Holmes are 4 DT's for you front 4 in the 4-3 we are going to next year. We will only be using 2 DT's in this defense instead of three with the 3 man front. Add Semke and you have 5. The others will probably play SDE and WDE unless Fletcher is also put in the DT category.