Monday, December 15, 2014

Another Texas athlete commits to Beaty, Kansas football

Kansas University football recruiting.

Kansas University football recruiting.

The break in the latest Kansas University football recruiting haul lasted barely 12 hours, as KU coach David Beaty and his program picked up another oral commitment Monday morning.

During the final recruiting weekend before the winter dead period, Beaty and the Jayhawks received one commitment Saturday night and and four more throughout the day on Sunday. Monday morning, Hargrave High wide receiver Chase Harrell, from Huffman, Texas, joined the party by picking Kansas, as well, according to JayhawkSlant.com.

Harrell, a 6-foot-4, 200-pound, 2-star wide receiver who won offensive MVP honors in District 10 in Class 4A, became the third receiver to join KU's current recruiting class and is the 11th offensive player in the group. Beaty, who first met Harrell during a camp at Texas A&M;, made a quick visit with Harrell at his school last week and that set the stage for Harrell to make his official visit to the KU campus.

Impressed by nearly everything he encountered — but especially Beaty and the fact that KU plays in the Big 12 — Harrell made the call to Beaty early Monday morning to tell him the news.

"I had to come back and talk to my mom," Harrell told JayhawkSlant.com. "My mom or dad never went to college. She told me to look at all of my options. Once I got back I knew I didn't want to go on any other trips and I kept telling her that. I told her I wanted to go to KU."

Harrell, who had been committed to Houston, becomes the 18th player in the Class of 2015 to commit to Kansas and the sixth player in that group brought in by Beaty.

Comments

Michael Leiker 4 years, 11 months ago

This is getting very exciting, very fast...great work coach and welcome to all the new guys

Sammy Engelson 4 years, 11 months ago

Matt, why don't you ever reference ESPN recruiting rankings? According to ESPN evaluators, Evans, Richardson, Harrell are all three star recruits, with the first two being high-3star prospects. Our classes tend to be better according to ESPN as opposed to Rivals, especially last year's class.

That aside, Beaty doing an awesome job! These are the kinds of talented but under-recruited players KU needs. Looking good so far!

Matt Tait 4 years, 11 months ago

We've found that it's best to be consistent when referencing recruits and rankings so that people have some sort of context and general feel for where a guy stands. Only in rare occasions have we used ESPN or any other rankings system. It's all a crapshoot anyway, so it just seems like it's best to go with Rivals.com, which has been in the game the longest and always done a solid job.

David Robinett 4 years, 11 months ago

I understand Matt, but at the risk of a bit more work for the writers, consider putting ESPN ranking in parentheses after the Rivals ranking -- especially (or maybe only) when the ESPN ranking is higher. Despite ranking flaws, KU Football is also in the PR and brand-building game, so more references to "better" recruits will help the program.

Steve Corder 4 years, 11 months ago

Matt, you are right about it being a crap shoot in football. Basketball rankings seem to be a more accurate predictor of college performance.

Sae Thirtysix 4 years, 11 months ago

Rock Chalk to this . . .Once I got back I knew I didn't want to go on any other trips and I kept telling her that. I told her I wanted to go to KU!!

Ashwin Rao 4 years, 11 months ago

I thought that the "Dead" period had begun... what exactly does that period entail? Does it mean that the coaches can't talk to recruits? If so how did he talk to Harrell? Is it ok if Harrell initiates the call?

Matt Tait 4 years, 11 months ago

No visits. Coaches can't go to schools or homes and kids can't come to campuses.

Andy Tweedy 4 years, 11 months ago

I'm so happy to see HS next to so many of these kids! I got some snarky comments over the last couple years when I'd point out what a disaster the JUCO route was going to be, I wish it wasn't so, but I don't see how you can argue otherwise. That's not a shot at the ones who have contributed, but so many never even played in a game and the roster size shrank accordingly.

Matthew Roesner 4 years, 11 months ago

With all the comments on HS rankings, there is an article talking about the last five years' first round NFL draft choices and their rankings. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000319991/article/where-firstrounders-rated-coming-out-of-high-school Shows that it takes all types, and probably even more so, good coaches. Looking forward to more updates on recruits and assistant coaches.

Michael Maris 4 years, 11 months ago

It all goes to prove. How much heart does a young 18 to 20 year old kid truly have (who has some athletic abilities and may have not truly physically matured from a physic standpoint)?

I by no means was a star athlete. But, if you ask my old high school classmates and, they will tell you that I was 5'10'' as a Junior in high school. I graduated as a senior standing around 6'0'' or 6'1''. But a year or so later, I grew to be around 6'6'' tall.

Some people just don't mentally and physically grow as fast as other individuals do. Another prime example, David Robinson - Naval Academy. He sure didn't enter the Naval Academy at 7'0'' tall. But, look how is body grew and developed.

Personally, Jace Sternberger from Kingfisher, Oklahoma looks like a TRUE Coach Bill Snyder type kid. An athlete that's really not yet near his prime.

We will sure see how well the newly assembled coaching staff can coach up these 2 and 3 star ranked players.

Coach'em Up, Beaty, Bowen, Mitchell & Staff.

Mike Barnhart 4 years, 11 months ago

The heart and soul of my high school football team that won a Kansas 6A state championship were two 5'10" 220 pound offensive guards. Tough, hard working s.o.b.'s who never even practiced half speed...NEVER!

Our guys who went on to be 3 and 4 star D-1 players owed their careers to a couple of future Kansas juco studs. We can build a pretty solid foundation with the right 2 star guys wearing crimson and blue!

Gerry Butler 4 years, 11 months ago

ok guys I'm going to try and stay objective, try to curb my peaking interest. I am NOT going to lie I was pretty upset when clint did not receive the head coaching position, but am very glad he stayed on board. yes I realize these guys we are getting commitments from are surposedly 2 star 3 star players, but I have got to say I now have to step back and give our HC more credit really surprised how quickly he has gotten recruits to commit can see the Texas and Oklahoma recruits coming already nice set of receivers committed ya I fully realize definitely wait and see approach but feel really good to see the HS recruits I feel that YES w can develop these guys just got to curb my excitement its good glad to see.

Gerry Butler 4 years, 11 months ago

sorry guys to be posting again but got a question, sure he covered but i'll ask anyways see if you can help, sure someone can what is Coach position on red shirts? how aggressive is going to try and get into that? I think I heard where he said he wants to be able to get kids to walk on at first so that would be the red shirt possibility right? thanks guys. we sure could use a solid red shirt program thanks

Richard Duran 4 years, 11 months ago

Matt, none of this skill position talent will mean anything w/o a serious upgrade on the Oline. What about that? And what happened to Schyler Miles?

Micky Baker 4 years, 11 months ago

I believe 4 out of the now 17 commitments are offensive linemen.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 11 months ago

Miles had this guy named Ben Heeney ahead of him and now has senior Jake Love ahead of him. Miles is a good player, but there are other good players ahead of him.