Kansas defeats Georgetown, 75-70

• 6 p.m., Dec. 10, 2014
  • Verizon Center, Washington, DC

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Locked in: Red-hot Greene shoots KU past Georgetown

Backup goes 5-for-5 from 3-point range

Kansas guard Brannen Greene, right, celebrates with teammates Devonte Graham, center, and Jamari Traylor during a timeout after a three by Greene in the second half on Wednesday, Dec. 10, 2014 at Verizon Center in Washington D.C.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self discusses 75-70 road victory vs. Georgetown.

Bill Self discusses 75-70 road victory vs. Georgetown.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Brannen Greene and Kelly Oubre discuss victory at Georgetown

Brannen Greene and Kelly Oubre discuss victory at Georgetown.

Download podcast

KANSAS 75, GEORGETOWN 70

Box score

— Georgetown’s basketball fans, who had already seen Brannen Greene swish four threes in as many tries, let out a collective groan as Kansas University’s 6-foot-7 sophomore guard prepared to let another fly during crunch time of the Jayhawks’ 75-70 victory over the Hoyas on Wednesday night in Verizon Center.

“They knew the same thing we did. That he was gonna make it,” KU forward Landen Lucas said, with a smile.

The concern of the 11,000 or so Hoyas fans in the crowd of 14,164 — KU again had a large contingent of fans — was well-founded as Greene indeed hit a fifth three with 2:34 left, upping a 65-63 lead to five points.

“I loved that three, honestly,” said Greene, who confessed he did hear the crowd sigh before he attempted that final trey. “It was a big three for me and I enjoyed it. We had designed a new play we put in called ‘ear.’ It broke down. Wayne (Selden, seven points, three assists) drove to the middle. Landen set a big-time screen that wasn’t part of the play. I found myself wide open, took it and knocked it down.”

Greene also hit two free throws, upping a 71-67 lead to six points at :15.3. For the night he tallied a career-high 19 points off 5-of-6 shooting (his old career high was 17 points this season against Rider). He was 5-of-5 from three, shattering his old personal-best mark of two threes made in a game.

And he was 4-of-4 from the line on a night KU made 25 of 32 free throws to Georgetown’s 19 of 26. Cliff Alexander again came through big-time by hitting two charities with one minute remaining, upping a one-point lead to 70-67.

“I found myself open and just let it go. That’s what I do. I shoot the ball,” said Greene, who hit three threes in a game-changing 10-3 flurry that turned a 44-41 deficit at 13:47 into a 51-47 lead at 11:44.

“I mean I just play my role. It came to me. I took the shots and I made the shots. There have been games I took five, six threes and didn’t make them. It was my night. Sometimes you see a big basket and that’s what I saw tonight,” Greene added.

Greene put up monster stats in just 19 minutes. He battled foul problems, picking up his fourth with 11:28 remaining.

“I mean I know I’d come out of the game if I did that,” Greene said of perhaps hoisting more than the economical five threes he took. “I just stay within the rhythm of the team. I felt well since the shootaround earlier today. I like the gym. I like the arena. (I) just played within the team.”

KU coach Bill Self noted that KU “needed every one,” of Greene’s threes.

“Of course, according to him if I’d let him play he could do that most every night,” Self said with a smile. “He seems like he’s been focused of late. I think playing against Florida when he has two of his boys (AAU teammates) out there playing all the minutes and he doesn’t play a lot of minutes ... some humbling things have happened he’s taken in a positive way.

“He is a talented kid,” Self added of the Juliette, Georgia native. “He’s gotten in his own way with us on the court by not doing probably what we think he’s capable of doing. Tonight he was totally different. He was locked in. He made shots, but even if he hadn’t made shots he still would have played pretty well.”

KU, which had a 13-point lead the first half, but ultimately led by only two at the break, suffered 17 turnovers while hitting just 37.7 percent from the field. But several players stepped up on the most crucial possessions, including Frank Mason III (14 points), who cashed a three to bust a 58-58 tie at 7:45; Alexander, who busted a 61-61 tie with five minutes left; and Perry Ellis (13 points, 10 boards), who followed that with an inside shot to make it 65-61.

The Jayhawks survived a 20-point performance from huge, 6-10, 350-pound Josh Smith.

“Our guys said, ‘Gosh, we knew he was big; we had no idea.’ It’s hard to simulate how big he is until you guard him,” Self said. “Landen and Cliff are pretty strong guys. If it was a lunar eclipse you’d never see ‘em if Josh was standing between them. We actually did a decent job considering how strong he is.”

KU, 7-1, will next meet Utah at 2:15 p.m., Saturday, in Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.

More news and notes from Kansas at Georgetown

By the Numbers: Kansas wins 75-70 at Georgetown

By the Numbers: Kansas wins 75-70 at Georgetown

Comments

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 10 months ago

This was a nice win with Greene hitting 3s and the team FTs, but geez, I wish we could finish at the rim better. I keep watching UT and as good as Smith was tonight, he's no Cam Ridley...or any of there other bigs.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 10 months ago

Agree Suzi! At least those Texas games are later in the conference schedule hopefully we get it figured out. If we played them right now we might lose by 20 no matter where it way played.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 10 months ago

You mean the team that gave KY a tough game in Rupp? That Texas team. If we played them right now they would wallop us by 20. We would not be ok. 7-1 is nice but we have not played well, and we have played against one tall talented team and lost by 32.

We got a ton of work to do before we play Texas.

Jason Bruner 6 years, 10 months ago

Using that logic we would have a tough time with Columbia as well...

Rodney Crain 6 years, 10 months ago

Who knows we might, we will never know since they are not on our schedule, only Texas is. I have said this many times, KY will lose if they get bored with an overmatched team. They are getting up for the big games and stream rolled us, played Texas tight. Buffalo, Columbia, just show that KY can come out flat, how did they finish those games, they won when they were "refocused" by their coach at halftime?

Jason if you beleive our team is ready to win, I am gald for you. I do not think we are, and unless we get better we will lose one or both games. If we played Texas today they would blow us out the way we are playing.

Walter Bridges 6 years, 10 months ago

Jason, I'm not sure comparing Columbia to Texas/Kentucky is a logical way to make a point if logic is your your goal. I will say that IF we can put together TWO good halves in one game I think we can beat Texas but shooting 38% w/17 turnovers just isn't going to work.

We have a lot of talent but not much experience as a team. HCBS needs these guys to play consistent instead of having Selden or Greene or anyone having a career game to pull us through. We're getting there but need to do it quicker.

My thoughts on our UK game is to learn where are weaknesses are and Rodney is right about us matching up against tall talented teams. I would like to see us go to a zone for extended periods against such teams but I don't think we will have another game where we completely break down in all phases like we did. I think we will most likely split our 2 games w/Texas and possibly play a 3rd game in the Big 12 Championship.

Mark Palmer 6 years, 10 months ago

we have the number 1 strength of schedule and just beat a good team on the road. I know we did not play great but people need to get a grip. we have played only one poor team in rider. we will be fine against texas. the mighty UK team you talk about barely beat Columbia at home last night

Rodney Crain 6 years, 10 months ago

Mark, Texas will beat us 1-4 times this year like a poster below says. We just do not match up well with tall talented teams. You think like our players have in the past when they lost games cause they thought all they had to do was put on the Kansas uniform. Hopeful Mark, you are just hopeful.

Mike Riches 6 years, 10 months ago

I always find it hard to complain too much after a win, because I respect a team that can find a way to win, even when they're not playing their best. And being 7-1 with the schedule we've had is certainly nothing to frown about. Things were far from perfect in this game, but guys hit shots when they needed to, none bigger than Greene's. I'd love to see that kind of production from Greene more in the future! Interesting that Svi starts the game and plays all of five minutes. Kelly finally got some playing time, which is invaluable for him right now. I still think by March he could be pretty good. I really hope we get him for another year, because next year at this time he could be incredible! My thought during the game was I just don't know if any of these guys (with maybe the exception of Alexander) will be ready for the NBA at the end of this year. That's not to say some won't declare, but it's hard to see these guys going very high in the draft right now (it's still only December, I know.) KO still looks lost at times, and Wayne is way too inconsistent (where did he go after his 2 threes in the first half?)

Maybe this is the year Self has 10 guys in the rotation. With Greene's game tonight, and so many positives with Svi and KO, it's hard to see it going to 9. One thing is for sure, Hunter is not a rotation player. With Jamari out tonight, if he was going to get minutes, tonight was the time, and he played one minute. By the way, as invisible as Jamari was in the Florida game, I think we'll need him to show up this year, if for nothing else, to relieve Perry, who played all but one minute tonight.

One final thought...a bit of advice for Landen: Don't get into a fight with a 350 pounder. Smith's grin during that confrontation said way more than any words he could have used...yikes!

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 10 months ago

After the game, Self talked about playing KO at the 4. That spells trouble for Traylor's PT. Something seems to be off with Traylor this season. Perhaps he missed playing with Black but he does not seem focused.

Brianna Zaleski 6 years, 10 months ago

Boy, your criteria for a great post is paltry

Robert Brock 6 years, 10 months ago

Traylor is under-skilled. He is a hustle guy who has not shown much hustle this season (except when confronting police officers, obviously).

Eliott Reeder 6 years, 10 months ago

I didn't hear Self's comment, but I was just thinking about Oubre at the 4. I may be wrong, but didn't Self say something the other day about playing the wing being kind of new for him? Did KO play the 4 throughout high school? If so, he could be in for a long transition a la Travis Releford, who (I believe) also played the 4 throughout high school and had to adjust to playing the 3 over time. It would be pretty cool to see KO in the high post within a speedy small line-up. What does that line-up look like? Frank, Devonte, Svi, KO, and Cliff? Interesting...

Ryan Zimmerman 6 years, 10 months ago

I was watching the game with my wife and Hunter came in... she says "who's that?", he then got beat big time and poof, he was gone :)

I feel bad for a kid that transfers to a school and doesn't play there. You give up a year and then don't even play- not that he should but that sucks for him I bet

Walter Bridges 6 years, 10 months ago

As usual, good post Mike. I admired Lucas for not backing down but maybe motivating the big guy isn't the best strategy.

Brianna Zaleski 6 years, 10 months ago

Suzi,

Your "doomsday " mentality is so tired. You and Rodney should start your own blog. A separate spot to "predict" all the underachieving that we'll be doing this season.

That was a big time win. GU played great D and they had their top 3 scorers in double digits, with the top 2 going 20 and 18. That's a recipe for an ass kicking no matter who you are playing.

This KU team is tough and talented. We are going to be a force this conference season as well as a tough out come the postseason.

Enjoy the ride. Quit being so GD pessimistic 😒

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm not getting your general "doomsday" extrapolation...? No doubt we did a lot of good things last night, especially down the stretch. Thankfully, this team is showing the toughness, characteristic of Self teams.

Certainly we all want the W but the immediate objective is go improve enough to win the Big 12. Let's watch how we rotate on D, how effective we ball screen, how we finish at the rim. Generally speaking, when we break down the defense with great penetration, we are not making the plays at the rim, either the pass or finishing at the rim.

We did not do well vs KY and UT, our primary conference threat, is on par with them. We went 10 for 36 inside the arc, committed 17 turnovers, almost all unforced errors, and scored 1.01 points per possession. It's great to be 7-1 but we are making a boatload of errors that need to be corrected if we want to win the Big 12.

David Kemp 6 years, 10 months ago

A lot of this inconsistency comes from the fact that finding the right lineup is still evolving. HCBS Is trying to find the players who can develop a chemistry together. So far that has been a problem but it will come.

Walter Bridges 6 years, 10 months ago

Exactly David..when we finally start playing 40 min of consistent basketball, we have the parts to be a really good team.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 10 months ago

Excellent Post Suzi, backed up with great observations as well.

Mark Palmer 6 years, 10 months ago

great comment Brianna. completely agree. give it a break suzi.

Brianna Zaleski 6 years, 10 months ago

Rodney, you're the worst.

Yeah, the way we've played the last 2 games, would get us beat by 20 to Texas. That's sarcasm.

Don't forget that Rick Barnes coaches Texas. They've had talented teams before and they've never failed to underachieve. Yet our Jayhawks, who have been underdogs to the Longhorns before, have consistently risen to the challenge against them.

I know who I'm putting my faith in come crunch time. And it ain't Rick Freaking Barnes.

Jonathan Briles 6 years, 10 months ago

I think you're being a little harsh calling someone the worst just for calling it like they see it. Suzi and Rodney are neither one saying KU is horrible. They are saying we have work to do and that Texas is ahead of us right now. If you read these posts often you know that those two are good fans who support the team. I agree with you that Barnes brings that team down and I doubt they will put it all together and make a big time run, but I also agree with Rodney and Suzi that Texas will give us fits and if we don't come to play they will beat us by 20. UK is not 32 points better than us, but we didn't come to play. UT is capable of giving us the same issues. I don't think anyone is being all that pessimistic, just realistic. We have some serious talent on this team, but we are a long way off from putting it all together. Thats not to say we won't get it all together, but as it stands today we have a lot of weakness. We have a lot of strength too and tons of potential, but it won't just fall into place. We have a lot of work to do before we get to Texas and more importantly the post season. One game at a time and it will be a fun season to watch.

Kristen Downing 6 years, 10 months ago

Quit nagging. They have a right to their opinions just as you have a right to your glass half full one.

Micky Baker 6 years, 10 months ago

Kristen,

It always seems that all the posters that have said some pretty negative things during games stick together and call it "realistic". Is it not realistic to expect that we'll get better? I mean, the last few years many of the same people have been negative in December and we still won the conference. It's a long season.

Here is a prime example of what some were saying for another team nearby, the Kansas City Royals during May. They were saying the Royals were going to finish in last place like every other year. They Royals finished the regular season 2 games out of first and with the American League Championship when October was done.

There was a lot of negativity against Florida. We were down by 18. We won. We went for the first road game of the season and Kansas showed mental toughness. Our players stopped GT's momentum each time during the second half and we won. GT played hard-nosed defense all night. They weren't good enough to beat Kansas at GT, and GT was favored by Las Vegas. Now you might start to understand why the experts aren't really as smart as they think they are. We grew up quite a bit against Florida and the mental toughness carried over to beat GT. Now we have number 13 Utah at the Sprint Center on Saturday.

It's also not the opinions that are a problem. It's the way that they are communicated that really leaves a bad taste in person's mouth when we see people making up nick names for our guys. We should know as fans how it's been for Kansas ever since Bill Self has been here. He's not like any other coach. He has his system and doesn't change it for the players. The players know what the system is when they sign. We have tremendous upside. We have growing pains every year with new players.

Micky Baker 6 years, 10 months ago

We didn't play outside our strengths. We shot poorly against Stanford and didn't take care of the ball. It's not Self's system that is the problem.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 10 months ago

Thank you Jonathan and Kristen. Great posts and I appreciate the support.

You know even though Vegas had Georgetown as a 2.5 favorite and we let a big lead slip away I never felt like we were going to really lose the game. GTown did not look capable of finishing it and we did. Winning a game like that does not mean I don't think we can and should play better.

David Kemp 6 years, 10 months ago

To me this was a game where our coach was better. Bill found the players to match GT and outlast their run.

Ashwin Rao 6 years, 10 months ago

Brianna, I agree with you. We should savor each win, and not think ahead to a game that is way in the future. Knowing TX, their trajectory is usually down and our trajectory is usually up, so we will meet, and hopefully our position then is higher than theirs. I do like the way our guys played. I see much more passion to win in this team than in the last two teams (2012, 2013).

Walter Bridges 6 years, 10 months ago

With the exception being the '88 championship game Adam..but anyone who thinks the 2011-12 team lacked passion wasn't paying attention.

Erich Hartmann 6 years, 10 months ago

Ya. The 2012 Tyshawn/TRobHawks had more heart that any KU team under Self, narrowly edging my beloved 08Champs. No MickeyDs, and a big chip on their shoulder, they fought & fought all the way to the NC game, and fought in that game. They simply never quit(!)...only getting beat in their final possible game. As Self said, they simply ran out of time.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 10 months ago

I agree Adam and thank you for understanding my actual point.

As you are probably aware of, being realistic is not about hoping how we will play in the future but basing a perspective on what you are actually seeing. If you took the half full cup perspective you would take a Hopeful view, not a realistic view.

We are stuggling against talented big men this year. Texas is loaded with talented big men. They played the team that crushed us with talented big men at Rupp to a tight game. A releaistic statement is - If we do not adjust better to how we play we are going to struggle to win against them on any floor with or without Barnes. Since we have seen evidence that our players improve at their own pace, not to a set time or due to our great coach, it is not realistic to think that will just happen. It would be hopeful that would happen.

Adam if I can share, since the first time two beings faced off in competition, people have rooted for one side or the other. Fans of each competitor have assigned nicknames to their favorites. How do we know, these names appear in ancient writings, almost as far back as the first written words. All fans of all teams do this. We do it here, the players themselves do it as well. Players even have nicknames for most everyone on their own teams too. Why, It's actually fun to do. So I vote yes to having fun, and to making up nicknames for our players.

Brianna Zaleski 6 years, 10 months ago

Did you even watch the UT - Kentucky game? Yeah they played them tight... The first half! But so did Columbia and Buffalo (I believe). But then came the 2nd half and they decided to wake up and start playing to their potential. They started the 2nd half on an 18-2 run! And what did UT and Rick Barnes do to stop it? This team that is "on par" with Kentucky? Answer: Nothing.

Yes, Texas is very talented this year and will give us problems. They might very well win the league and sweep us (doubtful). But have you learned nothing from the last 10 years? Texas has had talented teams before. We've been "underdogs" to them before. We have Bill Self, they have Rick Barnes. Teams will always take on the personality of their coach during crunch time, when the pressure gets applied. And time and time again, our teams have shown the resolve, of our coach, to pull out tough wins and league races. While UT has shrinked away from the pressure.

UT might get us this year. Who knows? But for you and Suzi to wrap this baby up and give it to Texas with a big, burnt orange bow, before a league game has even been played, paying no attention to the last 10 years as a historical guide, is asinine. We might not even have to beat them. UT has shown an uncanny ability to lose games to other conf opponents that they have no biz losing to.

One more question: what will you and Suzi get each other for Christmas? Coal? Seems appropriate ;)

Rodney Crain 6 years, 10 months ago

Brianna, I have sat by quietly while you continue to act like a little kid stomping your feet and holding your breath hopping you would just run out of steam. Alas looks like you are used to getting your way. Sorry about that.

You are wrong in your view, I am not sure you understand basketball, you lack focus, and I am tired of your nit picking ways to let you keep rambling on without at least saying enough. Pathetic, sad, disrespectful and lacking today. You must be so proud of yourself. Well done, well done.

Brianna Zaleski 6 years, 10 months ago

Hot Rod,

1) *hoping

2) Explain how my view is wrong. It may be, but I'm interested in WHY you thunk that it is.

3) i do know a little about basketball. I've played, coached and watched basketball since I was a kid in the early 80's. I may not always be right strategy wise, but I understand concepts, fundamentals and hustle.

4) I prefer to be excited when I watch a KU Bball game. Maybe that makes for disappointment when they lose, but I ENJOY watching our Hawks. I guess if I talked s*** on them and expected them to lose every game, I would be pleasantly surprised when they won and not disappointed when they lose in the postseason. Maybe I should try that tactic, but I refuse to have no faith in a team that I'm firmly invested in

Micky Baker 6 years, 10 months ago

He just doesn't agree with you so you're wrong, and he's the holier than thou and he's right.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 10 months ago

We will lose to Texas this year between 1 and 4 times. But ultimately we'll be Big 12 champs and will go deeper in the madness.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 10 months ago

Correction. We will lose to Texas from 1 to 3 times. If we face them 4 times we will beat them the fourth time and go deeper in the madness.

Page Butler 6 years, 10 months ago

Suzi and Rodney are both a little bit on the negative side, but at least they are not as long winded as Jaybate was. :)

Jeff Kilgore 6 years, 10 months ago

The strange takeaway I have after this win is that we're still shooting the ball poorly. Yes, we did shoot 59% from the three-point line, 10/17, well from the free throw line, but we only won by five. Greene shot it very well, but even with that shooting, we still only managed 38% from the field. Maybe I'm looking at this win in the wrong way, and it is fun to see our kids really competing. I just hope that we can improve the shooting percentage down the road.

David Kemp 6 years, 10 months ago

This was a game where trying to push the ball inside against a taller team demanded opening up outside shooting. Our rankings nationally are ppg 147, fg% 257, and assists 225. Being 7-1 with these numbers and a number 7 ranked rpi speaks volumes for where this team can go with improvement.

Marc Frey 6 years, 10 months ago

Winning a true road game has always been tough for KU Hoops. I know we are all bitter about the UK beat down, but we have now beat GT, Florida, MSU, and TN over the last two weeks. Lets keep building on this momentum, correct mistakes, and we will be fine. I do not expect us to go undefeated in conference play. But at this point, happy where we are at with a new lineup.

Ryan Zimmerman 6 years, 10 months ago

I liked seeing Oubre play last night and was surprised by it. He had some good moments and steals and then had some really bad decision making moments on shots, but the more we can get him some playing time, the better we are in the long run. Graham continues to puzzle me as he'll do something awesome and then boneheaded the next time down the court (Mason too). Really glad to see Greene shine. The kid is a terrific shooter and actually has some emotion which is fun to watch. I admit that I was down on Perry following the UK game, but his turn around shots underneath really are playing out nicely for him. It allows him to get separation from the big bigs and make some shots. I was shocked how many he missed on the stat line after the game, but was definitely the only offense we had inside last night. Lucas is a body... that's it. In the early going when he missed the basket right underneath virtually unguarded was frustrating. He's average at best as a defender and can't be called on to post and score. IDK what Svi did last night to ride the pine most of the game, but was surprised by that

With the ups and downs and lack of consistency for anyone, I'm thinking we need to go 10 and not 9. We need to ride the hot hand a la Greene last night and play who's playing well that game. There are no standouts this year at this point that are "must plays" in my opinion (other than maybe Ellis for his offense and for being a veteran). Either way, it will be an interesting season. RCJH

Harlan Hobbs 6 years, 10 months ago

The team is definitely improving, but in this case, I have to come down on the side of Suzi and Rodney. Right now, Texas would be extremely difficult to beat. Plus, they are currently playing without their starting point guard.

I don't normally think that comparisons with common foes is all that telling, but you can't ignore the fact that UK wiped us clean on a neutral court, and Texas gave them a real battle in Lexington. Like one of the other posters said, I'm just glad that we don't play Texas until January 24.

Glen Miller 6 years, 10 months ago

You can't take the Kentucky game and say this or that is going to happen to us if we play "x" team. Kentucky came into that game to prove something. We were the closest thing they will get to a title game until they play the title game, if they make it there. They were up for that game and we looked lost and scared. We are a much different team now than we were then. I promise we do not lose by 32 if that game is played tonight. I'm tired of hearing how Texas will beat us by 20...... Texas is a big game on our schedule every year and we will be ready. This team has shown in our last 2 games that our defense, toughness and hunger are far beyond what it has been the past two years. Can we lose to Texas, absolutely.... but it's not guaranteed. Our boys will be ready, especially if they read all you debbie downers posts about how horrible we are (Suzi and Rodney, I am looking at you). Your tired negative comments about our team are not "just keeping it real". I'm sorry, I do not agree with that sentiment, you seem like negative people to me. Many things you two point out are true, but do you really need the doomsday smack down you use constantly to get your point across??

Rodney Crain 6 years, 10 months ago

I disagree Glen. Your tired overly positive comments are hopeful and show you do not truly understand how far we are from reaching our team goals. As is the case with most of you "homers" wearing the Crimson and Blue goggles you cannot see the forest because of the trees (see I can say condescending things on a personal level too Glen - looks childish and silly doesn't it?)

We are not a much different team, we did not show that in the game last night. We won because one player, who has done it once in two years, hit 5 threes. Not sure how that shows we are a different team, seriously Glen, how can you make that statement?

Look if you "homers" disagree with Suzi, or Me show a little respect and keep it at why you disagree with our points. If you want to be childish keep that junk to yourself. Doomsday??? Lol now that is overly dramatic isn't it?

Brianna Zaleski 6 years, 10 months ago

We won because of one player?! We won only because of Greene?! How can you be serious Hot Rod?

It's becoming increasingly obvious that you don't know what YOU are talking about and take the pessimistic viewpoint because it gets you views and replies. But remember, just because someone replies to your post, doesn't make it a good post.

We won because of one player?! smfh...

Walter Bridges 6 years, 10 months ago

Brianna, we won our last 2 games basically because ONE player had a career night at the right time. We need to be consistent and I think while we are slowly evolving into just that, we really don't have a set starting team or rotation.

It's still early and I thought that if we were 7-1 at this point before the season started we were doing pretty well but I also thought we would be making better progress towards gelling as a team.

Micky Baker 6 years, 10 months ago

Rodney, you're telling others to show "respect"? You're preaching this? Look in the mirror man.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 10 months ago

for some reason, Coach Self's teams tend to be plagued with long scoring droughts.

We came out of the gate and had them on the ropes. They were intimidated and on the verge of being blown out, and they were afraid of Selden because he'd just nailed two threes. Then Selden picked up his second foul, was forced to sit, and GT gound their mojo, especially LJ Peak.

After Selden came back, GT was dictating the game, they were no longer intimidated, and we were locked into a dogfight.

I just wonder had Selden not picked up that second foul so early in the half if we would have blown them out.

Luca Rossi 6 years, 10 months ago

The popcorn was poppin' for Greene last night, I really think this kid is going to be a stud. Obviously needs improvement with his D but he can be a big time game changer on the offensive end. Every game it seems like its someone different stepping up and having a big day. Thats what will make this team very hard to beat. Too many weapons to guard.

Mason has some big shots in the game today and generally played ok but it seems like he is starting to regress a little bit after his great three game stretch last week. I'm hoping it can be chalked up to his ankle not 100% but i'm not so sure, 3 of his 4 turnovers were his jump in the air then hope to find someone to pass to move that drives me nuts. His ball pressure on the defensive end wasn't very good either which actually is probably due to the ankle. When he is making things difficult for the opposing team's point guard it takes the opponent out of their offense and has a huge positive impact on our defense.

I thought the refs really let this game be played physically which definitely favored GU because of their lack of depth and physical presence down low. It was a hard fought win and hopefully another confidince booster for this team.

Erich Hartmann 6 years, 10 months ago

Nice summary. Josh Smith pretty physical, and evidently Landon Lucas backs down from no one! I thought G'town was well-coached, and their guys battled. I think KU is well-coached, but KU's players are a bit more talented.

It was interesting, that at one point we had 4 MickeyDs on the floor along with either 4star guard (Graham or Mason).

Oubre got a chunk of Jamari's minutes, and turned in a Jamari-like stat line. Nice to see him play. I thought he did some nice things.

We also see that Mickelson is either not ready, or a drop off in live action games. Nothing that wont improve with real game mpg...but will he get that chance. We do have a couple of cupcakes coming up, but not Utah. They are legit.

Adam James 6 years, 10 months ago

The signs that we have had significant improvement from the UK game have showed up in the areas of what we are trying to do instead of what actually happens in the stats or record. We could have lost one of these past 4 games and I would still be excited about the progress. What gets me excited about the improvement of this team is...

• Perry has been much more aggressive and has let his shot fly. This has not been the case in the past 2 years and needs to continue as a undersized 4. Even when he misses I like that he is confident and has the green light.
  • Mason III has not attempted many floaters- only looking to finish out of the break and is looking to kick to shooters when he drives. This is what we needed vs. UK and other big teams. This is why are 3pt shot has been more effective.
  • Svi, KO & Greene are starting to get more comfortable and will continue to do so.
  • Cliff has taken less face up jumpers and looks to be effective with Blocks, Rebounding and high % finishes around rim.
  • Graham has gotten more comfortable/confident and effective even battling injuries

This team has shown great improvement and will be poised for another Big 12 Title and more importantly a deep run in March.

Mick Allen 6 years, 10 months ago

Luca as you are probably aware from following this site, I am a fan of Mason. However I will concede that of his 4 turnovers last night, 3 of them, as you stated, occurred when he left the floor not knowing where he was going with the ball. His last one was a bounce pass to Perry that led him to the basket but Perry was a step slow freeing himself from his defender and the pass went just past his outstretched hand and out of bounds. Perry reacts a step quicker and that pass is an assist for a basket. When Mason penetrates and draws help the bigs must get to the open spot to make themselves available to receive the pass. Once again Frank needs the floater or runner. Often times when Frank leaves the floor with no where to go with the ball it is because after getting in the paint off his dribble, if are bigs are not immediately available, he will take it 2 or 3 bounces deeper toward the rack where the help comes from the defending bigs with no passing lanes available to him. When he is within 7 to 10 feet of the rim that is when he needs the floater before their bigs get to him. Right now I don't think he has confidence in that shot and the result is on occasion he dribbles himself into no man's land. To make plays for your teammates you always run the risk of turning it over, as the difference in a beautiful assist instead of a turnover can be a fraction of a second or the pass being inches off. Graham had 2 turnovers and 1 assist and both of his turnovers were similar to the ones committed by Frank, leaving the floor not knowing where you are going with the ball. As we all know the point guard position is the toughest position to play as you have the ball in your hands the majority of the time and you must establish a tempo and rhythm that gives your team the best chance of establishing the game speed most conducive to the way you want it played.Frank did drive the length of the court for the 2 that put us up at half, hit a big 3 late that gave us the lead back and hit his free throws down the stretch. He needs to develop the floater and be more discerning when he ventures into the lane off the dribble and not try to force it so deep. He will learn with more experience and remember he is still making the transition to point after being a scoring guard or a 2 until last year.I think he has a tremendous upside.

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 10 months ago

Although we are not finishing the plays, I hope we keep pushing the drive-to-pass tactics. The whole team needs to improve with this if we hope to beat UT in the Big 12 or UK in the Tournament.

We have won these past few games because of defense, rebounding and making our FTs. FTs are the key and we need to continue converting close to 80% to keep winning.