Sunday, December 7, 2014

New KU football coach David Beaty making early progress on recruiting front

Kansas University football recruiting.

Kansas University football recruiting.

Kilgore (Texas) Junior College cornerback Michael Mathis, a 6-foot-2, 205-pound, three-star prospect, told Jon Kirby of JayhawkSlant.com that his commitment to the Kansas University football program was solid despite the Jayhawks' change in leadership.

Mathis said he received a phone call from Beaty shortly after the announcement and that was enough to keep him committed.

"He told me about himself and how he can use me on the defensive side," Mathis told Kirby. "But the big thing is he wanted me to be a part of the Jayhawk family, and that is something I want to be a part of at the end of the day. He told me he watched my highlight film and I'm glad he is giving me the chance."

Mathis is expected to sign his letter of intent Dec. 17, on the mid-year signing day, and plans to report to Kansas in time for spring practices.

Mathis is one of 13 oral commitments in KU's 2015 recruiting class and both former interim coach Clint Bowen and recruiting coordinator Reggie Mitchell said during the final few weeks of the season that the previous KU coaching staff had done a solid job of keeping those players committed to Kansas.

Mitchell said the fact that many of the commitments made their decisions because of their fondness for KU and not just a coach helped the staff keep the class together.

Bishop Miege quarterback Ryan Willis, who recently led the Stags to a 13-0 season and a state championship, was one of the first in the class to commit to KU. Kirby reported that Willis met with Beaty last Friday night and came away impressed.

"I enjoyed talking to him last night after he was hired," Willis told Kirby. "He told me that I was a top priority and he was looking forward to me slinging the ball around the field. He was extremely energetic. He seemed like he was on a mission to take this program in the right direction."

Because of the low number of returning players, KU has more than enough room to bring in a full class, which means Beaty and crew will be able to add at least a dozen players of their own, perhaps more, depending upon what happens with the rest of the current commitments.

Comments

Richard Heckler 5 years ago

Each time a new coach is hired there is a massive selling the coach campaign to the community.

Why? How many times have matters not worked out as rhetoric suggested?

How many times have the rhetoric sources come back to paint the once thought to be a best choice ever as perhaps not the best coach ever?

How about allowing a coach to work quietly on his own doing what a coach knows a coach should do?

The bottom line is and always has been the end results. If the coach is winning fans want the coach to say. If the coach is not winning fans will want a replacement. These jobs come with some sweet golden parachutes.

Hedley Lamarr 5 years ago

Thanks for not posting multiple links. I don't think I've ever seen this from you.

Charlie Gaughn 5 years ago

Please just keep the transfers to a minimum. We've got to start building a program through freshman recruits, redshirting, and player development. Yes it will take some time but in 3 or 4 years it will be a sustainable program.

Al Martin 5 years ago

Well, we shouldn't have the academic dismissals this time around. For all the reasons Charlie needed to go (and he did need to go), he did a great job of straightening out the schoolwork side of things.

Cody Riedy 5 years ago

You're right, Weis needed to go, but I do think he did a lot of things to help restore some professionalism to the program - particularly in terms of academics, player discipline, etc. I think Weis did have a plan, but that ultimately he under-appreciated how difficult the rebuild would be, and when the season began with a whimper, he was out of energy and ideas.

The QB transfers was probably the biggest part of his plan gone awry - in part because of the poor QB play, but in part because there was no OL or WRs for the QBs to play ball with. It might have been interesting to see what would have happened when Kiseau took over if Heaps was still here - would he have been a different player with this years WRs? It may be a moot point since Cummings was surprisingly so much better than expected. After all, didn't Weis always say Heaps and even Cozart this year were way ahead in terms of accuracy. Accuracy wasn't a problem at all for Cozart this year.

The Juco and transfer thing was a mixed bag. There was definitely good in it. Does the good that came from it out-weight the freshman that would have filled those classes? I don't know. Perhaps the hit-miss percentage would be about the same, but with the freshmen that panned out, we'd have had them for four years instead of two.

Aaron Paisley 5 years ago

Two things should help minimize transfers. One is keeping Bowen and Mitchell. Two is that Beaty already has a relationship with some of the 4th and 5th players because Beaty was here when those guys were 1st and 2nd year players and can give the other players personal stories with Beaty.

Chase Topliff 5 years ago

Is there a list of the prospects that are visiting this weekend?

Jason Spangler 5 years ago

I agree. Would much rather go 1-11 or 2-10 with a full class of freshmen than I would hacking together a 4 win season with JuCos. Tired of that ish.

Cody Stumma 5 years ago

We can get a 4 win season with JuCos? Woo, that's 1 win more than what we've gotten in 5 years!

Fred Whitehead Jr. 5 years ago

Note the ad for KU basketball tickets in the midst of these comments on the football coach.

I am waiting to see how this works out But with no change in the support that the University gives the football program (the "Fog" orgy for the basketball team versus no pre-season event at all for the football team) I do not hold out much hope for the program.