Tuesday, August 19, 2014

KU hoops offers Eudora’s Ballock

Eudora High senior Andrew Ballock, left, and his brother, freshman Mitchell, play together for the Cardinals’ boys basketball team. Mitchell is already drawing attention from Division I basketball programs and attributes his success to the backyard basketball beatdowns he endured at the hands of his older siblings while growing up.

photo

Eudora High sophomore combo guard Mitchell Ballock, who led the Cardinals to the Class 4A-II state championship last March and starred at this summer’s Stephen Curry camp in California, has been offered a scholarship to play basketball at Kansas University.

“Very excited,” the 6-foot-4 Ballock told the Journal-World on Monday night after receiving the offer on his parents’ 30th wedding anniversary.

He added that he has “no time frame. I have a long time (to make decision on a school).”

Ballock, a left-handed sharpshooter, has received offers from KU, Creighton and Iowa State. It’s expected that before long he will be offered by all the major colleges in the country.

“I kind of knew it was coming, but I was surprised when it (KU offer) happened,” he told JayhawkSlant.com.

Ballock won a three-point shooting contest from the NBA line and was recognized with the “best shooter” award at the end of the Curry camp, which was for 20 of the top high school guards in the country and a couple from overseas. It was invitation-only.

He averaged more than 20 points a game for state champ Eudora High last season.

“Kansas fans, I hate to get you too excited,” ESPN basketball analyst Fran Fraschilla tweeted from the Curry camp, “but … Eudora soph, Mitch (Ballock) put on a shooting show at @StephenCurry30 Select Camp. NBA range.”

His 16th birthday was the final day of the camp.

“That was a good way to spend it (birthday),” Ballock, a member of the KCRunGMC program, told the Journal-World recently. “It was cool. ... It was different for me. A lot of good talent, a lot of players. You don’t get a lot of opportunities like that every day.”

Mitchell, who scored 40 points in his first high school game, totaled 20 points, while his brother, Andrew, scored 19 in Eudora’s 71-58 state-title victory over Scott City in March in Park City. It was the first state hoops title in Eudora history. Andrew, a senior on last year’s team, is a freshman scholarship player at Missouri Southern, where he will play for former KU players Jeff Boschee (head coach) and Nick Bradford (assistant).

For an in-depth look at the Ballock family, read this article by the Journal-World’s Bobby Nightengale.

Comments

Joseph Kuebel 2 months, 1 week ago

Not telling you what to do, but, "GO TO KU". Don't even think twice, get your handles figured out and you'll be a star. 6-4 Freshman? Go Durant on em. Get it done. Win a quick title at KU, and go get your money. Or wait for Sleazeball Calipari to come and offer you 40K a year for a summer job, not give you the tools to develop as he has too many others to concentrate on, promise them playing time and pull out the rug. Guy's a scamjob or has no problem keeping scammers around him all day-only a matter of time before his final four gets wiped clean for a 3rd time or go to UK, and have whatever you do as a "tea(ahem scam) pulled away". Smooth talkers like him all style and no substance.

Schedule a visit there kick him where it counts (not his balloon shaped head) and take his recruits to KU too...That man is hated everywhere, Norcal, when I lived in SocCal, and oddly enough, it was not because he can recruit, but because he oozes lies (as indicated by his final fours being removed, and several stories of promised playing time followed by removing the scholly). If he did nothing and it was all someone else he would not suffer penalties...No chance. Just sign with KU, enjoy the rest of high school, and enjoy KU even more, believe me, you will... It's not KS, it is Lawrence as you know.

P.S. Please do KU a favor and help get us quality guards as well so we can turn heads for more than just big men? Do your homestate and KU a favor and sign, set a precedent (that is how we won in '08 - with 3 starting guards with handles). You are wanted, and not one of a bunch only to be ignored for a Slimy infantile squid- last fry the Calimari- take his top recruits with you. Remember what Embiid said on worldstar... I don't think this is even a decision. Not even close. This coming from recent KU grad from CA.

Cameron Cederlind 2 months, 1 week ago

Not a fan of kentucky or calipari but to say this is "not even close" seems a bit delusional. Guy has some pretty successful guards in Derrick Rose, John Wall, Tyreke Evans, plus he did a lot better preparing for the tournament last year than we did.

Joseph Kuebel 2 months ago

Not even close to a decision. Quite sure that all those guys you just mentioned were top 5 in their entire class, not just PGs, entire class, to include all players in their respective classes (get it yet?????)... Where do you get that said a thing about the NBA? Critical thinking would be appreciated. Thanks. Besides when was I talking about guards success at Kentucky/NBA? I'm talking about playing for a slimeball... Way to misinterpret though.

Joseph Kuebel 2 months, 1 week ago

Nah, actually just don't like known cheaters that can negatively affect my school.

Aaron Paisley 2 months ago

What has Calipari been convicted of?

Bryan Fisher 2 months, 1 week ago

Congratulations young man. Regardless of where you go you're sure to have an exciting future ahead of you.

Bryce Landon 2 months, 1 week ago

As a former resident of Eudora, how cool would it be for me to see this guy don the crimson and blue in two years...

Jonathan Allison 2 months, 1 week ago

two years from now he'll be heading into his senior year in HS.

Bryce Landon 2 months ago

Whoops...yeah, you're right. Three years.

He can't don the Crimson and Blue soon enough, that's for damn sure!

Mark Lindrud 2 months, 1 week ago

He sounds like he will be a sharp shooter down the road. I am not a big fan of kids being offered at younger ages, and wish they would change that rule to the soonest they can be offered is their junior year, but I doubt it will change anytime soon. Would be nice for kids to enjoy and focus on high school.

David Leathers 2 months ago

I know it's a highlight video but go to youtube and search this kids name. He is pretty amazing for just being a freshman. If I hadn't already known he was that young I would have thought he was a top 20 senior.

Regina Clarke 2 months ago

LJW, I think some clarification is in order. He did not receive an official offer. He received a verbal offer. An official offer can't be given until the end of his junior year.

Steve Zimmerman 2 months ago

really? is KU that desperate? This kid is good and going to be good, but there are tons of kids that are much better by the time he's senior. he hasn't proven enough yet, that's what I meant.

Erich Hartmann 2 months ago

I dont think it proves anything to bash Calipari. I bashed him back in 2008 specifically on a basketball point of admitting on-camera that he "does not coach free-throws", and it cost him a national championship as Rose and CDR bricked away a NC, just like KU did in 2003 vs. Syracuse.

Say whatever you want about however it is that he gets kids to commit to KY, but by being in 2 MORE NC games since 2008, and actually winning 1, means he has proven he can get immature squads to the Final Four. Frankly, I thought last year's KY played like absolute crap most of the season, only putting it all together against WichitaState, and made a run in the tournament. It shows he can get his kids to listen to whatever coaching he is able to provide. Or maybe it just proves top talent, if it comes together, can dominate even upperclassmen "teamball".

Sorry to sound like I'm defending Calipari, because I am NOT (give me Self any day over Cal or Roy), but I am merely stating what should be obvious about Calipari since 2008. He has not flopped. He gets his guys to go lotto. He gets to the Champ Game 3 times in the last 6 yrs.

I may tip my hat to him as a competitor, but I guarantee you Bill Self is busy figuring a way to beat Cal's system. KY very dangerous as they return at least 3 guys with Final Four experience...but KU returns experience as well, and could be Kentucky's toughest game all season, no doubt about it. Of course I'm betting on KU.

RCJH

Joseph Kuebel 2 months ago

I agree that what he is doing is working, I just question his methods. I'm also expressing our needs for ball handlers in Self's system.

Roger Tobias 2 months ago

So can he take some advance placement courses at KU, maybe dual credit so he could graduate at the end of his Junior year, and be KU eligible two years from now?