Originally published August 18, 2014 at 02:59p.m., updated August 19, 2014 at 12:33a.m.

Andrew White III headed to Nebraska

Former KU wing tweets out his choice

Kansas guard Andrew White races up the court past Wake Forest forward Aaron Rountree during the second half of the Battle 4 Atlantis opening round on Thursday, Nov. 28, 2013 in Paradise Island, Bahamas.

Nebraska basketball coach Tim Miles, who may lose junior standout Terran Petteway to the NBA after this season, thinks he has found a possible replacement in former Kansas University guard Andrew White III.

“I am really excited to add Andrew to our program. I believe he can be an impact guy for us. He has pro potential and reminds me of Paul Pierce,” Miles, the 2014 Big Ten Coach of the Year, said Monday after White announced his plans to transfer to NU.

“Andrew has been involved in the elite levels of high school, AAU, and college basketball, and that will continue with the Huskers,” Miles added.

White, a 6-foot-7, 220-pound junior-to-be from Richmond, Virginia, who also visited Maryland, Notre Dame and Richmond after announcing plans to leave KU last spring, already feels a connection with his new coach.

“I think this staff was the most personally invested in my success,” said White, who was recruited by current NU assistant Kenya Hunter when Hunter was at Georgetown and White at Miller School in Chester, Virginia.

“There was a comfort level with the coaches and players, and I just think they believe in my ability to play ball.”

White averaged 2.3 points and 1.2 rebounds a game in limited duty his sophomore season. He hit 44 percent of his shots. He hit three threes and scored 13 points in 14 minutes against Towson and had 12 (three threes) versus Louisiana Monroe.

“My main objective with this decision is to win, be a great teammate and good student, but I want to show people I am a very good player,” White told the J-W. “I’m looking forward to putting myself in a situation where my team goes to the next level and so can I.”

White’s brother, Andrien, is an unranked 6-foot senior point guard at Thomas Dale High in Chester, Virginia, who will either land a mid-major or major-college offer this season.

“I’ve been working with him all summer,” Andrew said. “Not being in summer school and being home gave me the ability to make most strides on the court and him also. I left school three months ago. I’m not the same player I was when I left Kansas. That’s what I really embrace going into my next school. I have to sit out a year, which will be a big development year. I have the potential to do some really good things if I keep making the strides I have.”

Of Andrien’s situation, Andrew said, “The best opportunity for him to play and have a good career is for a school to want him by himself as opposed to us in a package. If Nebraska is interested in him, it’d be cool to have brothers at a school together,” Andrew said.

As far as Andrew’s playing time at Nebraska, it could open greatly if Petteway leaves. That, however, is not on White’s mind.

“He’s an anticipated draft pick after this coming year. Regardless if he stays or not, I spoke with them assuming he’d be there,” White said. “Even if he is there, it’s a position I’d be comfortable with. Nebraska doesn’t use traditional bigs as far as size. They do a lot of four-out, one-in. I think it’d be a good mix to the system playing three big guards. That was one of the selling points if he does decide to stay.”

Comments

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 3 months ago

Nebraska's basketball program just moved up a couple of pegs in my opinion. They are now on peg #2.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 3 months ago

To the contrary, Andrew White moved down a thousandfold in my opinion. Of all the schools he could move to, he goes to one of the schools that stabbed the Big 12 in the back. If he wants to play "meaningful minutes", fine. But since he plays for the Benedict Huskers, I hope he never sniffs an NCAA Tournament appearance again.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 3 months ago

Actually, NU leaving was a good thing for the Big 12, who was still dealing with pretentious shorthorns. Don't confuse them with the w****s to the east who were raising their skirts to everyone in sight even after the shorthorns came in line.

This should be a good move for Andrew and the Huskers.

Joe Ross 7 years, 3 months ago

Bryce, any more posts like this and your name will become synonymous with mindlessness. Its not for these kids to care about conference realignment in their choice of schools. Heck, Andrew was born and raised outside of Big 12 territory in Virginia. To hold that kind of hate when the kid just wants to play makes you very thick-headed indeed.

John Randall 7 years, 3 months ago

This is Bryce Landon impersonating a playground whiner.

Nebraska has always belonged in the B1G, just as Penn State since their academics is no longer an embarrassment.

Andrew made a good choice, as their b-ball program is moving up toward a par with their great football legacy.

Max Ledom 7 years, 3 months ago

Ah yes. Forgot about that. I mean, the top 2 things players consider when being recruited is: 1. Will I be successful and 2. Did they leave one conference and join another cause woah man not cool.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 3 months ago

I agree...AW3 doesn't owe anything to KU. He owed it to himself to pick the best opportunity for himself. I hope he proves that KU lost a quality 4 year player to one and done's who contributed nada.,

Go Andrew!

Rodney Crain 7 years, 3 months ago

Probably the best out of those 3 choices. He should play, and he will play against some great teams.

Having been born in NE, I know that they are a football school 1st, 2nd and 3rd, then basketball. Heck even wrestling or woman's volleyball might come ahead of basketball. Not sure he has a lot around him there to compete with the likes of WI, MSU, OSU and IN.

Hope it works out for him.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 3 months ago

Nebraska is an up and coming program right now. They are currently sitting in that second tier of Big 10 teams and should make the NCAA tournament again this season.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 3 months ago

Aaron, Nebraska is not an up and coming basketball program. They have success from time to time but they are just not relevant in men's college basketball. That is a big reach, you have no idea what you are talking about. Sorry, basketball will always be a very distant second to football at Nebraska. Always. Creighton's attendance was more than theirs. Its a lower tier sport for them.

This is a good place for AW III he will play and against some pretty good teams too.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 3 months ago

What does the lack of fan support have to with the fact Nebraska has a good coach, finished 4th in the B1G last year, made the NCAA tournament last year, and has a better team back this year. Tim Miles is a very good coach who has won everywhere he's been and is doing the same at Nebraska.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 3 months ago

Aaron you think last years 19-13 team means they are a up and coming basketball program? They were 272th in points, 251st in rebounds, 343rd in assists, and 257th in FG percentage last year. Ohio State and Indiana had off years and IL and IA will be much better this year. You cannot say a team is up and coming off of one decent year. They lost 18 games the two seasons before, both losing records. Lets see if they can have 2 winning seasons in a row first before we over hype them as a up and coming program. Basketball is just not important there. Creighton is the top basketball school in the state.

John Randall 7 years, 3 months ago

Andrew's situation this year shows he was wise to decline a redshirt with Self. This gives him the year to build chemistry (remember BenMac) and be a settled member of the squad when the time comes for him to take on a major role during his last two years.

Bob Zielinski 7 years, 3 months ago

Tim Miles has Husker fans paying lots of attention to basketball. They even play in a very nice new arena which gets great crowds. When you start from the bottom you gotta start somewhere.

As for competing against other teams in the B1G which you list you have to consider:

Wisconsin (Nebraska beat them last year) Michigan State (Nebraska beat them last year) Ohio State (Nebraska beat them last year and really missed another big opportunity by giving up about a 16 point lead in the B1G Tournament against them) Indiana (Nebraska beat them....twice last year)

Rodney Crain 7 years, 3 months ago

All of those wins and they still lost 13 hmmm, Sorry not impressed. All those schools you listed had down years, like we did. Lots of teams in the B12 would have beat those teams too. Basketball is not up and coming at Nebraska, it might be in a few years but one winning season does not make an up and coming program, its a decent or good season but it does not mean they are going to be good for a long period of time. Talk about over excited about a 19 win team, that had lost 18 the previous two years, come on really? Look I know there is nothing to really to talk about in the off season of college basketball but there is no way Nebraska should be called an up and coming program until they have at least 2 winning seasons in a row.

Think about this too, if Mills wins there in the next 2 years or so, he is going to get offered a better job and he will likely take it. Why? Because Nebraska does not really care about their mens basketball program unless they are winning.

Bob Zielinski 7 years, 3 months ago

Michigan state had a down year? Wisconsin had a down year by making the Final Four? If those are your standards then, yes, Nebraska is not tracking towards becoming a better team and pretty much pretty much all other D1 teams are not very good either (except UCONN possibly).

Jeff Cuttell 7 years, 3 months ago

Having grown up Nebraska, it's true that basketball had always been an afterthoght. But Coach Miles has built on the small success of Doc Sadler and taken them to new heights. They made the tournament last year and were packing their new arena. They placed 4th in the Big 10. (a feat that most teams in the Big 12 wouldn't be able to do.) White will fit in well there. Look for them to be strong in their conference again this year. (Watch Petteway and Pitchford if you are looking for their best)

Good luck Andrew! You'll be missed here in Lawrence. But know that some of us watch Nebrasketball in Jayhawk Country!

Jeff Kilgore 7 years, 3 months ago

Nebrasketball. Kinda Neanderthal. But I'm just kidding. NU is my favorite Big 10 team in all sports.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 3 months ago

Nebraska only had 9 sellouts last season, that's good for them but Creighton drew 4-5,000 more a game (with a larger arena).

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 3 months ago

Creighton's not a mid-major team anymore. They play in the Big East, albeit a diminished Big East, but still much deeper than the Valley (npi). They're a perennial top 25 team, probably even in the post-Dougie McBuckets era. Plus, the fanbase loves basketball, and not just because there's no football team to compete with for fans.

Nathan Scholl 7 years, 3 months ago

I always really liked Andrew and his great work ethic. I think he will be a great fit on a vastly improved Nebraska basketball team and could make a huge splash in the Big 10 given the right opportunity! We love ya Andrew! Go get 'em!

Bryce Landon 7 years, 3 months ago

"We love ya Andrew"? Speak for yourself. No one who plays for Nebraska is worthy of the love of a Kansas fan.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 3 months ago

You do not speak for all KU fans on this issue.

Jeff Kilgore 7 years, 3 months ago

KU basketball is up there pretty high on my list of things I love. However, Nathan, I have to agree with you. Coach probably let him know that despite his work ethic and dedication, he wasn't going to see playing time. Bryce, how you judge worth is cruel. Andrew sees himself as a basketball player first and thought he'd have time here. I hope he succeeds at Husker U.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 3 months ago

Better idea Bryce..speak for YOURSELF..or better yet STFU.

Robert Brock 7 years, 3 months ago

Great kid. I wish him the best.

Give 'em hell, Andrew!

Steve Zimmerman 7 years, 3 months ago

Congrats, Mr. White3!! I think you will shine in the bigRed nation.

Warren Smith 7 years, 3 months ago

I wish him nothing but success, Good Luck!

Janet Olin 7 years, 3 months ago

Best of luck to you, Andrew. I, and most of Jayhawk Nation, will cheer for you and hope for your great success. We still consider you part of Jayhawk Nation, and you are a class act. Thank you for representing KU so well.

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 3 months ago

It is Andrew's decision to go where he wants and if he connects with coaches at Nebraska then I will support his choice. It is his life, not anyone else's, and if he knows he can develop his game and get some quality playing time there then go for it!

Ron Prichard 7 years, 3 months ago

Excellent post! This is a comment that all KU fans can be proud of, just as we can be proud of AW3 wherever he goes. Best of luck to you Andrew.