Monday, August 4, 2014

Ukrainian signee named tourney MVP

Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk of Ukraine competes during the U16 Eurobasket 2013 first-round match between Ukraine and Latvia at Palace of Sport in Kiev, Ukraine, on Aug. 8, 2013.

Incoming Kansas University freshman Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk was named most valuable player of the Under 18 European championship Div. B basketball tournament on Sunday in Sofia, Bulgaria.

The 6-foot-8 guard, who averaged 16.0 points in nine games, scored eight points off 3-of-8 shooting in Ukraine’s 64-40 loss to Germany in Sunday’s final.

Mykhailiuk, who went 0-for-3 from three, also had four rebounds, two steals, five turnovers and no assists in 30 minutes.

For the tournament, Mykhailiuk hit 51 of 122 shots for 41.8 percent. He cashed 13 of 50 threes for 26 percent. He also averaged 4.7 rebounds, 2.0 steals, 1.1 assists and 3.2 turnovers.

Mykhailiuk scored a tourney-high 22 points against Finland and also scored 21 against Bulgaria, 19 against Portugal and 17 against both Denmark and Sweden. By reaching the finals, Ukraine (7-2) booked a spot in Division A for next summer.

Mykhailiuk is slated to begin practicing with Ukraine’s World Cup team. If he doesn’t make the team, he’ll likely be on KU’s campus later this month or early September.

Oubre plays: KU freshman Kelly Oubre, who has been battling an ankle sprain the past few weeks, returned to the court over the weekend at adidas Nations in Los Angeles.

Oubre scored 20 points, hitting six of seven three-pointers, in leading his camp-counselors team to an overtime victory in one game Sunday.

“High-level matchup this morning at adidasnations between Stanley Johnson and Kelly Oubre. Both guys going very hard, playing extremely well,” tweeted Jonathan Givony of draftexpress.com.

“Kelly Oubre just hit a jumper on Stanley Johnson and as they came to other end told him, ‘You’re gonna have to come up on me,’” tweeted Nima Zarrabi of Slam Magazine and Hoopshype.

Wiggins not worried: Former KU guard Andrew Wiggins isn’t stressing over rumors that he will soon be traded from Cleveland to Minnesota.

“I just want to play for a team that wants me. So whichever team wants me, I’ll play for,” Wiggins said Sunday on ESPN.

“Right now, I’m just taking it day by day. What happens in the future, happens. I can’t control nothing. It’s out of my hands. At the end of the day, you’ve got to remember the NBA is a business before anything so I’m just waiting to hear. I’m a rookie. I don’t really have too much say.”

Asked how he avoids feeling frustrated, he said: “You can’t take it personal. You can’t be listening to everything everyone says. You’ve just got to listen to the people that really know what’s going on, your agent, the GM on the team, the coaches on the team. You can’t really listen to the outside sources.”

Camp coming to SM West: Wiggins and KU coach Bill Self will host a youth basketball camp Saturday and Sunday at Shawnee Mission West High. Camp will be held from 9 a.m. to noon for boys and girls grades 1 through 5 and 1 to 4 p.m. for grades 6 through 12. Self and Wiggins will direct the event and be joined by a selection of high school and college coaches from the area. Registration and more information is available at BillSelfCamp.com.

Joel talks: Former KU center Joel Embiid did a lighthearted interview with ESPN on Sunday, mostly talking about his Twitter account.

“I would say when I get on the court, I am another man. I don’t laugh. I don’t play. Off the court, I am goofy,” said Embiid, No. 3 overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft by Philadelphia.

“At Kansas, I kind of did it (had fun on Twitter). The Kansas fans know because they were the ones following me.”

He said he’s recovering nicely from foot surgery.

“I’ll be meeting with the doctor every week. It’s good news. I’ve been resting. It’s been great,” Embiid said. “I think I’ll be back 100 percent (as soon as February). I’ve got to focus on my rehab. Once I’m done, I want to help my team. I have great teammates. Philadelphia is building a great team. It’s great.”

Recruiting: Allonzo Trier, a 6-3 combo guard from Findlay Prep in Henderson, Nevada, has orally committed to Arizona. He’s ranked No. 12 in the Class of 2015 by Rivals.com. He had KU, Georgetown, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, SMU and many others on his list.

“As good a scorer as there is in the class of 2015, Trier can bomb away from deep, gets to the free throw line and is perhaps underrated as a playmaker for others because of his scoring. He sees lots of opportunity in Tucson,” writes Eric Bossi of Rivals.com.

Trier told Bossi: “They are probably going to lose a lot to the draft after this season. They feel I can come in and be the type of player I already am and make plays. They will move me around so the defense can’t focus on me so much. They will utilize me in the best way to use my talent and make the talent the most successful.”

Donovan Mitchell, a 6-2 senior combo guard who is ranked No. 101 nationally, has cut his list to five: Louisville, Villanova, Boston College, Providence and Florida State. KU was on his original list of schools.

Comments

Suzi Marshall 1 month, 2 weeks ago

What a surprise to hear of KO playing at the Adidas Nation LA camp. Apparently he's not showing much rust going head-to-head with Johnson (6-7 from deep). If KO is telling Johnson "You're going to have to come up to me", what gems await Mykailiuk (26% deep, 1:3 A/TO), who's competing with KO for PT?.

Great news about Mykailiuk being named MVP in the U18 EU Championships after the 48-60 loss to Germany. If Mykailiuk makes the Ukrainian World Cup team, it might be late September before reaching Lawrence, a month after school commences.Since Ukraine plays with the USA in Group C, we might get a chance to see him play, possibly against Bradly Beal (2/3), Stephen Curry (1/2) or even Kevin Durant (3/4). That would be quite a welcome to USA basketball.

I'm sure everyone will be anxiously awaiting his much anticipated arrival. .

Benz Junque 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Aaron Paisley 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Svi is a year away from being physically ready to compete at the college level. I'd be surprised if he made the senior national team this go around because he just isn't physically strong enough to compete against grown men at this point. It also sounds like based on his numbers in this tournament that his shooting still needs quite a bit of work. Don't be shocked if Self redshirts Svi this year to let him work on his body.

Jay Beakum 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Can’t really see any reason to redshirt him. He’ll be gone in two no matter what.

Aaron Paisley 1 month, 2 weeks ago

There's no guarantee that he'll been gone in two years, especially if his shooting doesn't pick up or if he can't cut down his turnover numbers.

Walter Bridges 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Have to agree with Jay. Zero chance of him staying at KU for four years.

Aaron Paisley 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Where did I ever say I think Svi would be a 4 year player? Even if Svi doesn't redshirt this year, he's not going to be a significant factor in the rotation this year and he may not even be a start in 2015-16 either because he'll likely be competing with Brannen Greene for the 3 spot that year. Players ranked in the range where Svi was rated have historically been 3-4 year players under Self.

Shooting and ball handling are supposed to be his two biggest strengths. Against vastly inferior competition to what he'll see at the D1 level, he shot 42% overall, 26% from distance, and committed over 3 turnovers per game. Svi clearly is a talented player, but it will take time to develop that talent.

Jack Wilson 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Well, why redshirt if you're not going to be here 4 years? The only reason to redshirt is if you think you might need another year of eligibility.

But I think your right in your assessment that he may not be ready for any substantive contributions this season.

Aaron Paisley 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Normal, American 18 year old, I wouldn't redshirt, but Svi is only 17 and has never done any regular weight training. If he doesn't beat out Brannen Greene for the back up wing spot, give him a the year to focus on getting stronger with Judy and working on his game because it needs a lot of work based on how he played in Bulgaria.

Janet Olin 1 month, 2 weeks ago

After six weeks of the 24/7 media circus about James running the Cavs and insisting on Love, I thought Andrew replied to pointed, uncomfortable questions maturely and diplomatically. If he looks exhausted and a little deflated, who could blame him. Classy, hard-working, humble kid for a 19 year old #1 pick. He'll be fine, and I will root for him no matter where he lands.

Jack Wilson 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Self says he wants more ballhandlers in the rotation. -- so, logically, one might assume that 2 of the following 3 are in the perimeter rotation: Mason, CF, Graham.

Selden is in.

Oubre is in.

That's four.

Add Greene, that's five.

Self regularly plays 4 perimeter players significant minutes; a 5th, like last season, gets scraps.

Not sure how Svi gets on the floor.

Jonathan Allison 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I agree on Svi. Seems like he'll be way behind when he arrives, having not gotten any coaching from the KU staff this summer, having developed no chemistry with teammates. Any production from Svi this season will be a bonus, he would appear to be more of a contingency plan until the 2015-2016 season, when he will get a real shot to prove his value.

Brett McCabe 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Big mistake to stay. He should get here right now.

Leon Trotsky 1 month, 2 weeks ago

The coaching he is getting will be fine. Mike Fratello is the head coach of the Ukrainian national team.

Mark Lindrud 1 month, 2 weeks ago

He's missing time learning our system and developing a rapport with teammates.

Dirk Medema 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Would seem like a rather presumptuous to start with all 3. Might happen, but maybe a couple of the long fellows can provide the requisite ball handling.

Walter Bridges 1 month, 2 weeks ago

After having read several comments about Svi not playing against Division I talent, at least he ended at the top.

Also Jack, Self has said he wanted more ballhandlers in the rotation so looking at what he did last year makes me think he will not do the same this year. If Self usually has 4 perimeter players getting significant playing time then I expect he would at least add another to the list with five players getting significant numbers.

Jack Wilson 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I think it's easy to get 5 guys rotation level minutes on the perimeter. Three spots, 120 total minutes. Three guys at 30 minutes, two guys at 15 minutes (roughly).

Thing is, we are here every fall speculating that he will include more guys in the rotation level minutes, and he never really does.

Mick Allen 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Svi's assist to turnover ratio playing against 17 year olds has been concerning and that is going against competition not nearly as strong as what he will face daily at practice at KU. The kid is talented, but he will need some seasoning. I don't think he will see significant playing time the first semester with his time increasing slightly the second semester when he becomes more comfortable with the speed and strength of the college game.

Suzi Marshall 1 month, 2 weeks ago

In addition to shooting, turnovers, strength and team relationships, the above photo seems to indicate his defense could use some help.

Rodney Crain 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Agree Mick way too many obstacles in Svi's path to contribute much his freshman year. Especially the way he is playing against suspect competition right now. He is also not red shirting as posed above. There is no reason for him to do that, even if he is injured. Either his plan is to develop into a NBA ready player, 2 years minimum at KU, or his lack of PT frustrates him and he decides to play professionally next year and tries to develop with some pro team overseas. We are just skipping stones in the pond right now, this could go 10 different ways once the season starts.

Tony Bandle 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Please..everyone quit drinking the vodka-flavored Kool-Aid...I could add to Suzi's list ad nauseum [food shock, culture shock, court shock, jock shock, Hudy shock, etc., etc.,]

This kid's best minutes will be hitting bombs in warm-ups and scaring the crap out of our opponents, then he will be on the bench until garbage time or if a first stringer needs a wakeup call!!

Then.....in 2015-2016..WAIT FOR THE BOOM!!!!!

Mark Lindrud 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I'm certain he will get minutes while we figure out the rotation, but once the conference play starts, the fact he hasn't been here to gel with teammates will come into play. The NBA wants to make the age limit 20, so unless he plays pro European ball, he's here 3 years.

Jonathan Allison 1 month, 2 weeks ago

All of the pictures of him are from last year. He was noticeably bigger at the basketball summit. Here is a picture of him from this summer.

Jonathan Allison 1 month, 2 weeks ago

His numbers may not look great, but consider that he was 5th in the league in ppg, and he was 38th in the league in minutes per game. He was 14th worst in turnovers per game, but was 10th best in fouls drawn per game.

Also FYI he was listed at 1.99 meters tall, just slightly better than 6'6".

It's hard to say what it means that he was MVP of the league considering his team played in Division B, and presumably the best teams in Europe play in Division A, but considering that his team will be promoted to Div A nextyear based on their performance in Div B this year despite that fact that half of the team will have graduated from the U18 league, it's probably fair to say that the divisions are somewhat arbitrary. Sure some nations will have better talent sustainability based on the basketball programs they offer to youths, but most teams probably fluctuate from one class to another.

Since age wise he will still be eligible for the U18 team next summer, it will be interesting to see how he competes in Div A after one year at KU, assuming he chooses to play, and goes back to the U18 league.