Saturday, August 2, 2014

Juco CB switches commitment from Kentucky to Kansas

Kansas University football recruiting.

Kansas University football recruiting.

The Kansas University football team picked up its 13th commitment in the recruiting class of 2015 on Saturday. Like No. 12, he chose KU after switching his commitment.

Michael Mathis, a 6-foot-2, 205-pound cornerback from Kilgore Junior College, orally committed to Kansas after originally pledging his services to Kentucky.

The two-star prospect opened up his recruitment before committing to the Jayhawks, who benefited from assistant coach Dave Campo’s efforts in pursuing Mathis, a big, physical corner who likes contact.

“He is a great guy,” Mathis said of former Dallas Cowboys head coach Campo in an interview with JayhawkSlant.com’s Jon Kirby. “Most of my family is big Cowboys fans. When they found out he was recruiting me and would coach me they talked about how it might help me get to the NFL. I knew I would be going to the right place with him.”

Mathis’ physical nature was a big hit with the KU coaches, including head coach Charlie Weis.

“They told me I look like a linebacker but I run fast enough and can cover so I will be a cornerback,” Mathis told Kirby. “That’s the position I want to play. I have also played safety, but with my size and speed I think I can be a lockdown corner. I have to get ready because at Kilgore we played a lot of zone and I will play man at Kansas.”

Mathis hopes to finish his academic requirements at Kilgore in time to join the Jayhawks in December and take part in spring football.

Mathis’ commitment comes two days after KU landed an oral pledge from Sherman (Texas) High offensive lineman Aaron Garza, a member of Rivals.com’s Texas 100 who originally picked the Longhorns.

Comments

Mark Lindrud 2 months, 2 weeks ago

That's a good football school. This should be a very good pickup.

Dirk Medema 2 months, 2 weeks ago

And even better that he is a December grad. Get'em in for Spring ball, especially if he is going to need to adjust to m2m. Could see him being the NB with the others that we already have onboard.

Ben Kliewer 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Thought this was sarcastic, then read the post below...

Brent Cagle 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm sensing sarcasm in the original poster's comment. Kentucky has won 2 games each of the last two years, all non-con.

Mark Lindrud 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I am familiar with Kilgore and it has a solid program that often produces good players. He has nice size and with being a kid we can bring into the program December he could be a help even as soon as next year.

Doug Roberts 2 months, 2 weeks ago

So as a Juco, how many years will he be able to play at KU?! Sheesh.

Glen Miller 2 months, 2 weeks ago

We lose a lot of contributors after this season. We will have to blend in a few JUCO guys that can play immediately to bridge the gap.

Brett McCabe 2 months, 2 weeks ago

There aren't a lot of freshman starters at defensive back in the Big 12 - mostly juniors and seniors. So, I think that we'll get a good amount of value from a guy wh has played 2 years of JUCO ball and may be able to report at semester.

Brandon Mahon 2 months, 2 weeks ago

2 years of eligibility... and he taking another class to ensure he will be academically eligible

Jonathan Allison 2 months, 2 weeks ago

does he have 3 years to play 2, 2 to play 2, 3 to play 3, 4 to play 3? 4 to play 4?

Important information is missing in this recruiting blurb.

Micky Baker 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I think it's 3 years to play 2. He played in 2012 and 2013.