Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Prep PG Devonte’ Graham narrows list to KU and NC State

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Devonte' Graham, a 6-foot-2 senior point guard from Brewster Academy in New Hampshire, on Wednesday officially narrowed his list of schools to two — Kansas University and North Carolina State.

Graham, the No. 36 rated player in the Class of 2014 according to Rivals.com, had a final list of KU, North Carolina State, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Providence. He eliminated all but KU and NC State on Wednesday and announced the news via Twitter.

Graham originally signed with Appalachian State in the fall of 2012, his senior year at Broughton High in Raleigh, N.C., eventually asked out of his letter-of-intent, but was not granted a release by coach Jason Capel.

So he enrolled at Brewster Academy and finally received a release after Capel was fired and Jim Fox hired at Appy State on April 10.

He visited KU April 18-20, then headed to N.C. State and Virginia within a week’s time.

As KU awaits today's news from No. 9 ranked player Myles Turner, the Graham decision looms just as large and could come any day.

Comments

Jonathan Allison 5 years, 5 months ago

Sounds to me like Self said,

"Listen Devonte, I need a PG really bad. The problem is that I have promised Myles Turner that I will not withdraw my scholarship offer from him until he makes his decision. I guarantee that if Turner doesn't commit to Kansas that my final scholarship is yours. Myles is going to announce at 3:00 on the 30th. IfIf he comes to KU then I don't have a scholarship to offer you. But if he announces that he's going someone else, then you are free to commit to KU as soon as you're ready."

Or:

"I have a scholarship for you from a player who's going to transfer out, that we haven't announced yet because we're still gathering information for him for other schools that may have a scholarship available. If Myles commits to KU, then please sit tight and we'll get you that scholarship offer as soon as we announce our transfer. If Myles doesn't announce for KU, then you are free to commit just as soon as your ready."

Ian Emerson 5 years, 5 months ago

Pretty sound analysis Jonathan. My two cents are Self is telling Graham to take his sweet time thinking over his decision so he can have a Myles decision before a Graham decision.

Vernon Riggs 5 years, 5 months ago

I would agree with the first conversation. But not with the second. If someone was being told that he would be better off leaving the Kansas basketball program that conversation would have been weeks ago. Thus allowing the player transferring a soft spot to land. HCBS would never have that conversation in May. Most teams by now do not have an extra scholarship to give.

Tony Bandle 5 years, 5 months ago

Third scenario on JA's comments...Myles and Devonte both decide to stay home and KU suddenly has an extra schollie with no one to give it to. There is hope, however, in that Cliff broke the "hat jinx" against Kansas!!

My question is, has anybody seen any Twitter action from our new Hawks, Cliff or Kelly, hinting at what Myles is thinking??

Aaron Paisley 5 years, 5 months ago

Of the two players, Graham is the important need. I'll take a top 10 player any day, but KU will be fine in the front court with or without him. Not the greatest front court Self has ever had, but let certainly not the worst either. Ellis and Alexander are front line starters, Traylor is a perfect fit for an off the bench guy, and Lucas/Mickelson should be good enough to fill that 4th spot. For those of you who think KU has to have a true 5 in starting line up, why didn't Lucas or Embiid start instead of Black at the start of last season? Bill Self has always started the two best post players regardless of the 4/5 distinction.

Until proven otherwise, PG is still the biggest hurdle for this team winning a championship and Graham may not be the answer immediately, but he'd still be the highest rated PG Self has landed in some time. I will happily take both players, but given the choice between the two, I will update Graham because he fills the more pressing need.

Jonathan Allison 5 years, 5 months ago

Devonte Graham, just sign on the dotted line, sir!

Erich Hartmann 5 years, 5 months ago

I dont think Self would tell Graham to "please sit tight and we'll get you that scholly offer as soon as we announce our transfer". How transparent would that be? Cut-throat methods, while they may exist, arent revealed to a potential recruit...as that same recruit may struggle his first season, and then wonder if he is next in line to be asked to "transfer". Not a way to build trust or integrity. Not saying Self wont "make room", but he sure isnt going to ever tell player A anything is related to player B. That will kill team chemistry real quick.

My vibe is that Self simply pulls bench kids (think AW3) into his office to tell them and show them how they are being out-performed at their position...and that shouldnt be any surprise to the kid, since he knows he is getting beat in practice.

At any rate, now that Turner staying in TX, Graham has his own scholly if he wants it.

Walter Bridges 5 years, 5 months ago

Personally I am hoping that Graham goes to North Carolina State. I don't see how he can come in as a freshman and replace Tharpe, Frankamp and Mason. Despite his big move up in Rivals top 150, he still is not listed in the top 100 in either ESPN or Scouts.

Last year, Frankamp moved up to #34 (Graham #36) and I think he showed flashes near seasons end. I believe Frankamp will handle the majority of the minutes as KU's point guard. Graham doesn't really help us in the short run and I don't think he will make an impact in the long run. I'm sure Self has made getting a top PG a priority for next year.

I say, give one of the walk-ons a one-year scholarship and save it for the 2015/16 season.

Jonathan Allison 5 years, 5 months ago

Turns out there was a transfer. At Graham's position, no less. And Self doesn't have to lose any trust or integrity because this is about being closer to home and closer to his daughter who has current medical issues.

So did Self suggest to Graham that someone might be leaving? Who knows, but for some reason Graham narrowed his list to KU and NCState BEFORE Turner announced for Texas. Self had definitely been telling him something, and Self had said at the awards dinner that he expected that KU could sign two players in the spring period. So it sounds like a strategic waiting game to me.