Thursday, April 24, 2014

KU basketball recruiting target Graham visits NCSU

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Devonte Graham, the top remaining uncommitted point guard in the high school recruiting Class of 2014, completed his official recruiting visit to North Carolina State on Wednesday.

The 6-foot-2 native of Raleigh, N.C., who played for Brewster Academy in New Hampshire this past school year plans to visit Virginia on Friday.

He already has visited Kansas University and told ncstate.rivals.com he might visit Virginia Tech and Providence before selecting a school.

He said he’s in no hurry after finally getting a release from a letter-of-intent from Appalachian State, which he’d sought this entire school year.

“I’m definitely thankful for being released and being able to have another opportunity to go through the recruiting process,” Graham told ncstate.rivals.com Wednesday. “It kind of helped to build me as a person, the whole process. I’m not trying to be in a rush to make a decision because of the whole situation I’ve been through. I’m kind of just waiting. I haven’t set a date of when I’m going to commit. I really could just wake up tomorrow and be like, ‘This is the school that best fits me, and I want to be there,’ and I could commit or I could commit at the end of the month, next month, I really don’t know.”

Graham, who said he had a great time on his visit to N.C. State, said it would be convenient playing in his hometown.

“The family feel was big and so was being close to home, where my family can watch. No matter where I go my family can watch, but it just wouldn’t be the same as if I was here. I try not to base my decision off of that, but it is a big factor,” said Graham, who is not currently ranked in the top 150 by Rivals.com.

Brunson visit: KU coach Bill Self on Wednesday had an in-home visit with Jalen Brunson, 6-1 junior point guard from Stevenson High in Lincolnshire, Ill., jayhawkslant.com reports. He is ranked No. 14 in the recruiting Class of 2015.

Tourney this weekend: The Jayhawk Invitational AAU basketball tournament will be held Friday through Sunday at New Century Fieldhouse, 551 New Century Parkway, New Century, Kansas, 66031.

Some top preps are expected to attend including Malik Newman, a 6-3 junior shooting guard from Callaway High in Jackson, Miss., who is ranked No. 1 in the recruiting Class of 2015 by Rivals.com. Newman’s Mo Williams Academy is slated to meet local team KC Run GMC at 8:20 p.m. Friday and again play at 11:30 a.m. Saturday at New Century Fieldhouse.

No. 3-ranked Diamond Stone, 6-10 center from Dominican High in Milwaukee, who may emerge as a package deal with Newman, is slated to play for the Young Legends at 7:10 p.m. Friday and 12:40 p.m. Saturday at New Century.

Comments

Suzi Marshall 4 months, 4 weeks ago

If Graham picked NCSU he would have Cat Barber to deal with for the next 3 years. That should be a factor favoring KU.

Myles Turner: I bet Barnes and KD are loving this article from the UT school newspaper.

www.dailytexanonline.com/sports/2014/04/23/why-five-star-recruit-myles-turner-should-not-choose-texas

Something to consider when looking at this year’s top Texas players:

Kelly Oubre, Forth Bend (Houston), TX - Kansas

Justin Jackson, Tomball (Houston), TX - UNC

Emmanuel Mudiay, Dallas, TX - SMU

Justice Winslow, Houston (St. Johns HS), TX - Duke

Myles Turner, Trinity HS (Euless....Dallas area), TX - TBD

Walter Bridges 4 months, 4 weeks ago

Great post Suzi... I wonder if Self or anyone regrets withdrawing a scholarship invitation to Barber after the Kentucky incident/rumor?

Robert Brock 4 months, 4 weeks ago

I read the DTO amusing article. Yeah, at UT, hoops interest follows football, spring football, baseball...in spite of that, Horn People believe that they are superior to others at everything and have the Longhorn Network to provide 24/7 coverage of UT sports from track & field to Longhorn curling.

Turner is waaaaaaaaay overrated as a OAD player, but he could become a truly big-time jock if he stuck around two or three years. I predict that he follows his Kevin Durant fantasy and plays in the arena that looks like a large order of flan.

Tony Bandle 4 months, 4 weeks ago

Flan is especially delicious if you sprinkle a combination powder of cinnamin and nutmeg over the top..HMM, HHM HHMMM HMM!!!

Tony Bandle 4 months, 4 weeks ago

Something tells me come May 1st, KU will have an extra scholarship available.

You just can't beat a hometown or a childhood fantasy.

Alex Berger 4 months, 4 weeks ago

For those guys concerned with ranking, in Rivals' latest ratings Graham went from unranked to #36 in top 150. Alexander #4, Turner #6, and Oubre #9. Jayhawks get Turner and this class will be pretty impressive on paper.

Beau Woolsey 4 months, 4 weeks ago

Flan is ok but it's consistency is kinda gross. Although I really hope KU gets both. Turner can ball and can really defend he will pick KU, how could he not after Embiid

Tony Bandle 4 months, 4 weeks ago

Is it just me or does it seem like an inordinate number of freshmen and sophomores are declaring for the NBA draft. Every night in the bottom scroll on ESPN another four or five names show up.

I know the Randles, Parkers, Smarts, of the world are expectd but there are names on there that I have never heard of....and I follow college ball pretty well.

There is still only 60 picks for two rounds, right?

Every college senior, junior, sophomore and freshman is eligible, right?

Players from Europe, South America, Asia and Australia are elegible, right?

All 30 current NBA teams have full rosters, right?

The Developmental League is still in existence, right?

There's a boatload of legit 2014 OADs, right?

Three seasons of previous OADs are still under contract, right?

WOW....SCARY STUFF!!!!!

Jonathan Allison 4 months, 4 weeks ago

There are a lot of basketball players trying to get one of those 400 some roster spots.

The draft is a system that is designed to force people out of the league who aren't good enough. If you aren't getting it done, then your team has at least one guy maybe two coming in the draft who will take your place... let alone the multitudes of free agents who are looking for a team.

It's a competitive business or else they wouldn't get paid nearly as well.

Suzi Marshall 4 months, 4 weeks ago

Speaks to how special it is to have guys with +10 year careers. The NFL is known as Not For Long applies to the NBA also....NoBody Ages.

Aaron Paisley 4 months, 4 weeks ago

It's the LeBron effect and why I'm against HS kids being allowed to turn pro. The number of HS kids who declared for the draft in the 3 or 4 years post LeBron before the OAD rule was made was very close to equal the number who declared for the draft pre LeBron. Not even Kobe or LeBron were truly ready for the NBA out of HS and now we're seeing the ESPN hype machine doing the same with these college kids and I'm glad the NBA wants to push the age limit up to 20. A teenager's body just simply isn't ready to compete against a grown man and we've seen time again players struggle early in their careers because they weren't strong to play against grown men.

Jeff Kilgore 4 months, 4 weeks ago

Tony, I think this each year. The world population of ballplayers and the 60 open NBA spots that divides into. No one said these kids or their agents are any damned good at math!

Brett McCabe 4 months, 4 weeks ago

Another way to deal with OAD is actually through the body that complains the most about it: the NCAA.

Any scholarship player who leaves before completing his junior year costs the school a scholarship for each year that he is gone. Done.

You immediately dry-up the market for OAD recruits. They can go overseas, or talk the NBA into lowering the age limit or get a job. Whatever they want to do - they can do it. They can even go to college and play, then leave - if they can get someone to offer them a scholarship.

I'm a little tired of hearing the NCAA whine about the problem but then never do anything about it.

I'm not into punishing kids - though the NCAA does this very clearly with the transfer rules - but if the fans/alumni of colleges want the game to get back to being more stable, then we need to do something about it.

Rob Bedford III 4 months, 4 weeks ago

Shaq Cleare just signed with Texas. Will he be eligible for this coming season? Will he have an impact on Turner's decision?

Brett McCabe 4 months, 4 weeks ago

I think that the Ivy League gets it right.

How I let the decision of some dip-wad 17-year-old become such an important part of my life, I am not sure. It was, though, a clear mistake.

Terry Lee - see you at the girl's track meet!

Bryce Landon 4 months, 4 weeks ago

We sure need a point guard. The PGs we've had the previous two seasons haven't panned out.

Alex Resnik 4 months, 4 weeks ago

Roddy Peters is available for transfer. I know he was interested in KU before he signed with Maryland. It could have been the fact that we got Mason. He would probably have to sit out a year, but it could be a good option.