Friday, April 18, 2014

Prep point guard set to begin KU recruiting visit

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Devonte Graham, a 6-foot-2, 175-pound senior point guard from Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H., today begins his official recruiting trip to Kansas University.

Graham, who currently is not ranked by Rivals.com but is expected to wind up somewhere in the top 100, has a list of KU, North Carolina State, Providence, Virginia and Virginia Tech.

The Raleigh, N.C., native recently received a release from Appalachian State. He will visit N.C. State on Monday and Virginia on April 25.

“When he (Devonte) first contacted me last spring, when he made up his mind that he wasn’t going to ‘App State,’ I saw video and talked to people and they said it was a no-brainer. Those people told me that he was a guard that could play at the highest level. From coaching Devonte all year, that is very evident,” Brewster coach Jason Smith told jayhawkslant.com.

“He’s as good as any point guard we’ve had during my tenure at Brewster,” Smith added. “He’s kind of a combination of a few different guys. He’s explosive like Semaj Christon (Xavier). He runs the team and makes decisions well. He guards like Dogus Balbay, who played at Texas, so I knew once Devonte received his release, he’d be recruited by the highest-level program.”

Of his own ability, Graham told jayhawkslant.com: “I think that I have true point guard skills. I control the game, I can pass and run the offense, but I can also make plays for myself and others. Most people call me a play-making point guard. ... Coach (Bill) Self has always been honest with me. He hasn’t promised me anything and I’ll have to work for everything (playing time). The opportunity to have an impact is there.”

KU on Jeter’s list: Chase Jeter, a 6-foot-10, 220-pound junior center from Las Vegas’ Bishop Gorman High, on Thursday cut his recruiting list to six schools. Jeter listed them on Twitter as Kansas University, Oregon, UNLV, Duke, UCLA and Arizona.

“Planning on a commitment before July,” he tweeted. “Thank you to all the schools who recruited me.”

Jeter is ranked No. 17 in the Class of 2015 by Rivals.com.

“Jeter brings high energy every time he steps on the floor. He can score in transition as well as in the post, and should make an impact no matter where he chooses right away,” writes Jack LeGwin of Zagsblog.com.

Hill on market: Ahmed Hill, a 6-4 senior shooting guard from Aquinas High in Augusta, Ga., who has decommitted from Marquette, had KU on his original list of schools. Others on his list were: Missouri, Clemson, UConn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Miami, Mississippi State, North Carolina State, Mississippi, Texas, Villanova, Virginia Tech, VCU, Tennessee and South Carolina, according to Zagsblog.com. Hill is ranked No. 69 nationally by Rivals.com.

Alexander honored: KU signee Cliff Alexander has been named Student Sports’ Mr. Basketball USA, the organization has announced. “It’s just an honor to be named Mr. Basketball USA and I’m very excited to be named player of the year,” Alexander said from the Jordan Brand Classic in New York.

Comments

Joe Baker 6 years, 2 months ago

I like this kid. He has a bit of Sherron Collins, Tharpe, CF, and Mason all wrapped into one. He has a bit of Chalmers attitude. I'm not sure about the 6'2 height. He's built like early Tharpe. Plays like Sherron and is quick like Mason. Doubt he's a better shooter than CF, but he has great form.

Now, having said that as always with every recruit, I have to take a reality check. He's not playing with bigger, quicker, or even better D1 players. Then I sober just a bit. I'd like to see him against some D1 players. I do like his skills and Self was really smart by telling this kid to earn his pt. It's up to him. I also like how he directs traffic and believe he could be very much like Sherron in terms of leading on the court. His frosh year will be learning and adjusting. His Soph year will be earning some pt. His junior year will be his year to establish himself as the KU pg and even aim at some pg records. His senior year will be his year and his opportunity to lead the team to the Dance.

He seems to have a high upside and if he chooses KU, I want him to stay away from anything Tharpe. This kid has a great upside and could serve KU well in the coming years. So, hopefully Self will win him over for what looks to be a bright pg future for KU. Self could solve his pg woes with DG.

Erich Hartmann 6 years, 2 months ago

Lesson regarding Bill Self-system guards: Let's NOT have 1 experienced guard all by himself, like EJ the year before, or Tharpe this year. We need multiple combo guards out there at all times that can defend, drive, decisions, distribute...and have the athleticism to dunk. Preferrable if they are 6'1-6'4.

Proof-of-system: Bill Self's BEST tournament runs (in his entire coaching history) happened in 2008 when he had THREE such guards: Chalmers, RussRob, Sherron (all 3 did absolutely everything well!), and 2012 when Tyshawn+EJ (both big, athletic, experienced) led us to the Title game.

So: keep recruiting multiple wide-skillset type guards, aka 'combo' guards. Use this last season as an example of what can happen if we dont have enough competent ball-handlers, defenders, or just too much youthful inexperience trying to run a dumbed-down version of Self's offense. Self needs multiple 2, 3, 4-yr players running his stuff. He's stuck with his mid-major/fundamentals approach, but now gets the luxury of stocking the roster with better athletes...thus the results are dominating (except when the kids are too inexperienced to properly execute the whole arsenal, like zone-busting!, or even competent defense...). Work to do.

Robert Brock 6 years, 2 months ago

Ahmed Hill is not "on the market." He will follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech.

Tony Bandle 6 years, 2 months ago

OAKVILLE ODDITIES:

1] Tulsa goes from Danny Manning to Frank Haith....that's kind of like going from Kate Upton to Joan Rivers!!!

2] With the rest of our talent, please, just find someone who can handle the ball, make good decisions most of the time, play a little defense and hit a shot once in a while...I'm not asking for a point guard lottery pick!!!

3] Saw where it says Bonnie will be back next season...Zenger pulls another zinger!!

4] I don't know...my thoughts that Myles is a lock for KU are starting to waver a bit.

5] I'm calling the new Rules Building, the DeBruce Booth in honor of both families.

6] First of many predictions for KU football next season..if we go 5-7, throw a parade down Massachusetts!!

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 2 months ago

1) Great analogy comparing Manning and Haith to Upton and Rivers, respectively. Clever

2) CF fits that summary well.

3) Unbelievable. They talk of the new recruits coming in but when you consider the Kansas BBall tradition and the housing they will get before departure, assuming they stay 4 years, she should sign some players. Bonnie is just a bad coach. $505K pa, are you kidding? I never took Zenger for a fool but this puts a few questions on the table.

4) I skipped on comments about Turner in yesterdays LJW article. I've seen him play several times. Even LB says Turner is not leaving Texas. SMU is probably the best place for him.

5) DeBruce put the major bucks. He earned his money through hard work, paid for the rights and is an alum. I'm grateful for the contribution and will honor the name.

6) The LJW Podcasters got it right. The record next year largely depends if we can find some OTs that can compete in the Big 12. If we can find even 1, we might well be bowl bound. Without at least one, 5 wins is a wild stretch.

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 2 months ago

His mistake was giving her the contract extension and raise last year. At least he negotiated a better termination for cause clause. Now she is on the hook to perform or walk. I suppose you can argue both options are in the best case for Kansas since the buyout minimizes the financial commitment.

Brandon Pope 6 years, 2 months ago

{Insert name here} a senior PG, who is not ranked in the Rivals100...

ugh. When are we going to get a high calibre true PG?

Rodney Crain 6 years, 2 months ago

Sign this kid, he looks like he can help us!

Mick Allen 6 years, 2 months ago

Rodney as stated before your opinion is highly valued, therefore I will immediately forward your post to HCBS and we can immediately offer Edwards. Then, if on occasion he plays like a freshman we can immediately lower our expectations of his ability to play and question whether he can ever help us at the point guard position.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 2 months ago

What no mention of Mason as the starting PG Mick, your slipping! Since the article is on Graham, and I was talking about Graham not sure what the heck you point is. Again Mick try to stay with my simple point, let's sign Graham. Mercy.... Of course he will play like a freshman, but looks like he vales the ball, makes good decisions and can guard. This is something we have not seen on a consistent basis here in a few years. With your connections please send HCBS my congrats on the Tilsdale award however, it meant a lot to him. At least be of some value Mick.

Work on being better on your condescending replies Mick. I mean, well it's you, so I expect more creativity.

Mick Allen 6 years, 2 months ago

Rod, how many videos of his high school games have you watched to determine "he vales the ball"? While it seems my point would be obvious to one with normal comprehension skills, let me try to break it down for you. All our signees look good when watching them dominate their high school competition. All will struggle at times as freshmen as the quality of play in division one college basketball is a significant upgrade from high school ball. When Edwards, as a freshman, makes a bad decision, forces it in the lane and doesn't give the ball up quickly enough, turns the ball over, and takes a bad shot will you give him his freshman year to adjust to the speed and complexities of the college game or will you be the first one to repeat the demand that we find another point guard instead of developing a player already in the system who possesses real athleticism and competitiveness? Your learning curve for freshman point guards is way too steep unless they are named John Wall, Chris Paul etc. and your impatience with the development of freshman point guards demonstrates your lack of understanding of the skill set involved in playing the toughest position on the floor and playing it well. You are way too quick to throw freshman under the bus if they don't perform as seasoned veterans in their first year of running the point.

John Fitzgerald 6 years, 2 months ago

This raises a few questions for me.

1.) Don't we only have one spot left? Is someone going to transfer? Or are we sure that Myles won't select us? What if both kids want to attend KU and no one transfers? Is there a scholarship lost?

2.) If we can only get one guy, would we rather have Myles or Graham? (obvious answer would be Myles) ... I'm assuming Graham will wait to make his decision after Myles does.

3.) Are we getting TOO deep? In my experience having 8-9 strong players is deep and ideal for a coach to succeed. We have:

Tharpe Frankamp Mason Selden Greene Oubre Alexander Lucas Ellis Mikelson White (Possibly Turner or Graham or both)

That's 12 guys, possibly 13, that are able to play. If I'm this deep I play a lot of full court press to wear the other teams down. Would Self do anything like that on defense though?

4.) And finally, who starts next year with all that depth? My starting lineup as of now would be....

Frankamp Selden Oubre Ellis Alexander

If we get Myles, substitute him in for Alexander. Alexander is a beast, but he will have to prove he is worthy of starting over Ellis.

Tony Bandle 6 years, 2 months ago

There's depth regarding numbers but, conversely, there's also depth regarding talent. I agree we are deep in numbers, but true talent??

Selden, Frankamp, Ellis, Oubre, Alexander and Turner if we get him, are true talent.

Tharpe, Mason, Greene, Traylor may get there but nothing is a lock.

Lucas, Mikelson, AWIII will once again see a lot of bench time next season.

It's only human nature to overvalue your own kids...something tells me, the last seven names I have listed would garnish a much different [and lower] evaluation nationwide than the value given by Kansas Nation.

John Fitzgerald 6 years, 2 months ago

How did I forget Traylor! Ahhh so disappointed in myself!

Walter Bridges 6 years, 2 months ago

I will be sitting behind sec 7 in the disabled seating w/wife at the Barclays Center tonight. I'll be wearing my USCG cap and a blue Jayhawk hoodie with a couple of other disabled Vets.

Stop and say hello if you're there. Would like to meet some of you guys...you too Benz : )

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 2 months ago

Good for you Walter. I'm also wanting to meet many of those we debate with on this site.

Very happy to hear you are a vet. Check out the apparel available on www.marshallfoundation.org.

Since you are a vet, check out Tharpe's grandfather whose funeral Na attended. He's a Korean War vet, worked as a contractor for the military, a mason and gardens. He sounds like a top flight guy and must have been incredibly proud and disappointed with his grand son.

www.andersonfuneral.com/julius-tharpe-lowell/obituaries/9113/

Benz Junque 6 years, 2 months ago

Walter Bridges 6 years, 2 months ago

Haven't seen the TV version of the game but Kelly Oubre dominated when on the court. Nobody played defense but Oubre showed plenty of range and was fearless driving to the hoop.

I am NOT saying he is better than Wiggins, he isn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got more production from the wing this year if Tharpe can get him the ball.

Alexander was clearly the 2nd best player on the court LAST NIGHT..Emeka Okafor is a beast.

Mark Lindrud 6 years, 2 months ago

If we can get consistent point guard play next year it could be a great season. Whomever earns the job basically needs to not screw it up. Oubre, Alexander, Ellis, Selden,Greene and Frankamp to pass to should be a dream for a point guard. If Connor is the point guard then so be it. I don't know who else we will get, but we won't be a team relying on as many newcomers as this year, which will help. Now we need to improve our defense.